If you get enough items and abilities with recovery time improvement, will it eventually go past 0 and give - recovery time?

You can never reach 100%. Each additional speed bonus has diminishing impact.

You can look at it like that (simplified):

- My recovery time is 10 sec (just an example).

- I get a recovery bonus of 50%. Now my recovery is 5 sec.

- now I get another bonus of 20%. My 5 sec recovery gets lowered to 4 sec.

- now I get yet another bonus of 10%. My recovery drops to 3.6 sec.

And so on.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Original question has been totally mis answered in confusion (by ErlKing).  Perhaps it was badly worded.

The original question of (+35 Penalty Armor, reduced by 25%) -20 Bonus, would probably end you up right near 'base time' without penalty (similar to naked), in this example, a decent Dexterity would probably make you 'faster' than the base times.

As Boeroer has shown (above) you can push your recovery penalty, into a recovery bonus, which will lower your base recovery.  ErlKing was pointing out another question entirely, can you reduce your recovery to the point, where your recovery = 0 seconds for everything.

There are also a few items that (at least used to) turn your recovery into 0 seconds, special short term buffs.  There are also some specialized items that only affect certain action (Maia has a jacket that only helps her Reloading) those usually state exactly what they affect.

Oh, right, I misread the question. Sorry about that.

Now, to answer the question properly:

1) There are armor enchants that reduce recovery time in general, it doesn't depend on armor and works as a separate modifier when calculating total recovery time. You can easily go bellow base recovery, especially with specific buffs and passive abilities of few classes.

2) There are few things - fighter passive and specific pet, that reduce actual armor recovery penalty directly, but I know only about these two and haven't tested how these work together. Either way even cumulative effect shouldn't reduce armor recovery bellow 0. Also these modifiers reduce armor penalty by adding multiplier to it, so with fighter passive you should have 0.75*20%=15% recovery penalty, not 20%-20%=0%.

For example Miscreant armor have 20% recovery penalty and enchantment that gives -10% recovery time. If you wear this armor with special pet, I think recovery penalty will be down to 8% (though I'm not sure), so with -10% recovery time you result recovery will be [ 1*1.08*0.9=0.97 ] slightly bellow 100%.

Edited by ErlKing

Original question has been totally mis answered in confusion (by ErlKing).  Perhaps it was badly worded.

The original question of (+35 Penalty Armor, reduced by 25%) -20 Bonus, would probably end you up right near 'base time' without penalty (similar to naked), in this example, a decent Dexterity would probably make you 'faster' than the base times.

As Boeroer has shown (above) you can push your recovery penalty, into a recovery bonus, which will lower your base recovery.  ErlKing was pointing out another question entirely, can you reduce your recovery to the point, where your recovery = 0 seconds for everything.

There are also a few items that (at least used to) turn your recovery into 0 seconds, special short term buffs.  There are also some specialized items that only affect certain action (Maia has a jacket that only helps her Reloading) those usually state exactly what they affect.

While it's true that ErlKing  probably misunderstood the question, his answer is still correct as it points Stardusk78 to the thread that explains the mechanics involved when computing this stuff. Based on Stardusk's original question it does not look that he/she is very familiar with the mechanics of the game: for example that the game works with speeds and not with times (even though some abilities refer to time), that the percentages are not really that clear (time bonus/malus percentage not equal to speed bonus/malus percentage that is used by the game under the hood), that the formula does not even work with percentages but with steps, that armored grace description has nothing to do with its implementation etc.

@Stardusk78: If you don't have time to read the post that was linked by ErlKing here is the explanation of the mechanics of the game when computing the recovery time for your example:

• the game is very confusing as it mixes wording abilities either as a bonus/malus to times or as bonus/malus to speeds; in reality, under the hood, the game works with speeds
  • to determine a speed modifier from a time modifier you reverse the number: for example +35% recovery time from armor is actually 1/1.35=0.74 recovery speed (so -26% reduction in recovery speed), the helmet that give -20% recovery time is actually 1/0.8=1.25 recovery speed (so +25% increase in recovery speed)
  • armored grace is worded poorly, it's effect is to increase the resulting recovery speed of the armor by 0.1, so in your case the 0.74 recovery speed is changed to 0.84 recovery speed
  • Now you transform the recovery speed modifiers into steps: the armor (with armored grace) has a sub-unitary modifier and its step is 1-1/0.84=-0.19; the helmet is a supra-unitary modifier and it has a step of 1.25-1=0.25
  • Now you add all your steps into a Step_SUM=-0.19+0.25=0.06
  • Since this is a positive number it means that you are better than the base behavior so your recovery time is BaseRecoveryTime/(1+Step_SUM): so for 4s base recovery time you get to 4/1.06=3.77s
Edited by kmbogd
  • Like 2