Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Difficulty after 1.1 - Game is still too easy

Balance PoTD

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

Loren Tyr

Loren Tyr

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 736 posts

You've written far more words in this topic attacking people than I have. Far fewer words talking about Deadfire than I have. Your post above with the series of rhetorical questions about meaningfulness has no relevant substance. It doesn't even contain the words Deadfire or Pillars or anything, because it's nothing more than a long-winded personal attack.

Evading yet again, who'd have seen that coming *gasp*. Just to clarify though, those weren't rhetorical questions, they were very much meant to be answered. The fact that you are apparently incapable of doing so doesn't change that. 

But sure, go ahead and dismiss everything you disagree with as 'lacking evidence' or 'personal attack'. I've no doubt that's an attitude that will serve you well in life. 

Edited by Loren Tyr, Yesterday, 03:12 PM.

• cokane and OldViking like this

Gregorovitch

Gregorovitch

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • Steam:Gregorovitch
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Balancing a game on a (supposed) rule of thumb that is not actually enforced or even explained at any point... I wouldn't exactly call that a brilliant design decision. 

I would disagree. Good players (or any player prepared to put the effort in really) will work out what is required of them and less good players (or those unwilling to put in the effort) who do not work it out will suffer the pain and ignimony of failure. Which makes mastering the game very satisfying and makes for a memorable, possibly even epic, gaming experience. The PoE1 resting and casting system offered a layer of gameply providing an element of mystery, challenge and difficulty to make that happen whereas Deafire doesn't. This is what people want. They are not interested in spending their valuable time playing games that offer no serious challenge and no satisfaction from mastering them. Not this type of game anyway.

This is why (well, one of the reasons) they are not buying Deadfire. Bascially nobody is whining on the forums about how hard the game is or how they don't understand this or that. That is telling peopole that dispite the good reviews and resonable Steam review score, something is wrong.

Edited by Gregorovitch, Yesterday, 03:16 PM.

cokane

cokane

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

You've written far more words in this topic attacking people than I have. Far fewer words talking about Deadfire than I have. Your post above with the series of rhetorical questions about meaningfulness has no relevant substance. It doesn't even contain the words Deadfire or Pillars or anything, because it's nothing more than a long-winded personal attack.

Evading yet again, who'd have seen that coming *gasp*. Just to clarify though, those weren't rhetorical questions, they were very much meant to be answered. The fact that you are apparently incapable of doing so doesn't change that. 

But sure, go ahead and dismiss everything you disagree with as 'lacking evidence' or 'personal attack'. I've no doubt that's an attitude that will serve you well in life. 

What is an "independent verifiable source" in this context? You sputtered out a word salad in that post, but I don't think you even know what it means. It's an absurd list of demands you made in that post, and you should know better.

I encourage you to go back through this thread, page by page, very carefully. I was *not* the one who first intimated that there is an objectively superior set of mechanics. Other people argued that Deadfire's system was objectively easier to balance. I merely pointed out that real world evidence does not support this claim. It's peculiar that you didn't hit anyone else with your anti-objectivity jeremiad.

The original game had launch issues, but it had nowhere near the difficulty issues of Deadfire. This is doubly troubling because Deadfire didn't have to labor through creating an entire world and set of systems from scratch. Balance *should* have been much easier in Deadfire. The *fact* that it wasn't requires explanation. And to assert that its core mechanics lend themselves to easier balance? It's to double down on un-truths, something far too common today.

I will end by noting that you managed yet another post that doesn't mention Deadfire, its predecessor, or any game. All while maintaining some high horse attitude. I guess personal attacks are allowed when you do them.

Loren Tyr

Loren Tyr

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 736 posts

I would disagree. Good players (or any player prepared to put the effort in really) will work out what is required of them and less good players (or those unwilling to put in the effort) who do not work it out will suffer the pain and ignimony of failure. Which makes mastering the game very satisfying and makes for a memorable, possibly even epic, gaming experience. The PoE1 resting and casting system offered a layer of gameply providing an element of mystery, challenge and difficulty to make that happen whereas Deafire doesn't. This is what people want. They are not interested in spending their valuable time playing games that offer no serious challenge and no satisfaction from mastering them. Not this type of game anyway.

This is why (well, one of the reasons) they are not buying Deadfire. Bascially nobody is whining on the forums about how hard the game is or how they don't understand this or that. That is telling peopole that dispite the good reviews and resonable Steam review score, something is wrong.

Clearly that's what you want, but it seems rather a considerable stretch to suppose that this is in general 'what people want'. Given the recent theme of real-world evidence, and the fact that this actually is a quite distinctly empirical claim, might I ask exactly what you are basing that on? Because to me it seems rather more plausible that what people want from a game, what they gain satisfaction from, and what they consider a serious challenge (supposing that serious challenge is what they are after)... that those things will tend to vary quite considerably across those people. Which makes it quite presumptuous for you to speak for all of them. 

• ThacoBell and OldViking like this

Loren Tyr

Loren Tyr

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 736 posts

What is an "independent verifiable source" in this context? You sputtered out a word salad in that post, but I don't think you even know what it means. It's an absurd list of demands you made in that post, and you should know better.

I encourage you to go back through this thread, page by page, very carefully. I was *not* the one who first intimated that there is an objectively superior set of mechanics. Other people argued that Deadfire's system was objectively easier to balance. I merely pointed out that real world evidence does not support this claim. It's peculiar that you didn't hit anyone else with your anti-objectivity jeremiad.

The original game had launch issues, but it had nowhere near the difficulty issues of Deadfire. This is doubly troubling because Deadfire didn't have to labor through creating an entire world and set of systems from scratch. Balance *should* have been much easier in Deadfire. The *fact* that it wasn't requires explanation. And to assert that its core mechanics lend themselves to easier balance? It's to double down on un-truths, something far too common today.

I will end by noting that you managed yet another post that doesn't mention Deadfire, its predecessor, or any game. All while maintaining some high horse attitude. I guess personal attacks are allowed when you do them.

*yawn*

• OldViking likes this

AeonsLegend

AeonsLegend

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 347 posts

On Veteran mode and I'm picking fights 5 levels above me now. Feels about right. Some are still too easy.

They should just give the players a +x levels slider for PotD. :p

I feel this matters more at the start of the game when there's less stats on your characters. Late game when everyone has 100+ accuracy it doesn't matter if an enemy has 80 or 100 deflection anymore.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Balance, PoTD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users