The game does seem to report failure very badly. Does it, really?

In the very first area, there's a sea cave, which contains an underwater passage. Clearly, Athletics is needed to swim through. I've got 3, Eder's got 3, but apparently that's not enough.

This would be fine, if the game told me clearly that that's not enough. What I get instead is a "Watcher Only Check" tag which I will have to remove (by clicking the X on it), after which I can press "Leave".

Is this really how the game tells the player that his stats aren't good enough? I'm baffled.

I think you have to send someone ahead to scout . Then you can swim trough..at least , that's what I always do . 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

I did send someone ahead to scout, and I was informed that there were enough air pockets. Then I came back to pick up Eder, after which the "Watcher Only Check" is the only thing I get.

Dang, is this a bug, then? Did I ruin it by swimming back after scouting ahead, or something? (Surely it shouldn't go like that.)

why did you go back for Éder ? 

And no , you should be able to swim trough by now . 

Maybe it's a bug . Can you reload an Auto-save ? and don't go back for Éder . 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

I did reload an Auto-save and managed to get through it that way. I was able to bring both of us through. So that was that. Strange, though.

I went back for Eder because I thought it would be a better idea not to go alone and because the air pockets wouldn't disappear, so there was really no reason not to go back.

I did reload an Auto-save and managed to get through it that way. I was able to bring both of us through. So that was that. Strange, though.

I went back for Eder because I thought it would be a better idea not to go alone and because the air pockets wouldn't disappear, so there was really no reason not to go back.

but when you send someone to scout....

they are already on the other side . 

Keep that in mind , if their portrait become GRAY..it mean they are already waiting for you over there . 

But glad that you got it solved . Remember to save often ! 

Elderly Hive Dweller