You know what I would love in this game? A replay button.

It works like this: When everything is good and dead after a while of meticulous pausing and clicking, a replay button pops up, and pressing it will play out the whole battle in real time from combat start.

There's a game that did something like this (haven't played it myself), Battlestar Galactica Deadlock

I enjoy the Zachtronics games very much, and leaning back after you're done to just watch the thing you just built run is very satisfying. The later games even lets you save your machine running as an animated gif, a feature that's very popular.

Got out by the skin of your teeth, had a creative approach, pulled off something insane? Now revel in the spectacle of it all unfolding. Pull out the recording software if you're feeling particularly social, for something easily digestible stripped of aforementioned pausing and clicking.

Fluff, sure, but killer fluff if you ask me.

• Like 4

humm....civilizations games have something like that I think . Also some others strategy games (where the computer show you dates and times when you took over this corner or a town ) . Endless space 2 for exemple has something like that when it come to ship battles . 

I personally skip them ...cose...come on! Lets go! lets go ! PEW PEW ALREADY!  :lol:

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

this is how i play my game: pause every 6secs. with the AI behavior (which i have yet to play with it) you can set the pause longer. that way you dont really have to replay (which i find it really pointless but i understand it be neat).

Been wanting this feature for like 20 years of CRPGs. Especially playing on high difficulties or with mods like SCS/Tactics/Ascension, you end up pausing like every second and never really get to fully appreciate the visuals and all that.

I definitely can understand it being low on the list of priorities, but it would be really awesome to be able to sit back and watch that tough fight that took you 20 minutes with all the pausing, or watch the fight that you've been wiping on for hours, etc. Not only would it be cool for the wins, but from a tactical standpoint it could be really helpful to rewatch a fight you're wiping on and be able to better understand what is happening and how to properly adjust. Mostly I just want to see the glory of unleashing a barrage of spells in real time though.

Edited by mrscojangles

So, record your game, edit out all of your pausing?  Make some decent AI Scripts, and autorun fights, record this?

Seems easier to just do it yourself through one of these methods, than hoping they'll screw with the engine enough to do this for you...

Been wanting this feature for like 20 years of CRPGs. Especially playing on high difficulties or with mods like SCS/Tactics/Ascension, you end up pausing like every second and never really get to fully appreciate the visuals and all that.

I definitely can understand it being low on the list of priorities, but it would be really awesome to be able to sit back and watch that tough fight that took you 20 minutes with all the pausing, or watch the fight that you've been wiping on for hours, etc. Not only would it be cool for the wins, but from a tactical standpoint it could be really helpful to rewatch a fight you're wiping on and be able to better understand what is happening and how to properly adjust. Mostly I just want to see the glory of unleashing a barrage of spells in real time though.

that's the basis of a problem. pause every second. that is why to refraid from doing so i have set auto pause every 6secs. i queue actions. i'm not sure if any newbie would know this. if the interface will be much more intuitive to allow you to see what you queued, add/remove it that will be freaking awesome. but again obsidian didn't take any player feedback on QoL features.

So, record your game, edit out all of your pausing?  Make some decent AI Scripts, and autorun fights, record this?

Seems easier to just do it yourself through one of these methods, than hoping they'll screw with the engine enough to do this for you...

Doesn't seem easier at all, really. Typing out a thought I've had many times for many years now didn't take much effort. The effort spent was also constant. To record a clip and then edit out the pauses would require effort proportional to the size of the clip, and would probably take well over the recording time. What you would be left with afterwards is the viewport skipping all over, since people tend to move the viewport during pauses. To set up the AI to fully beat encounters would at the very least be making 'replays' dependent on a very specific way of playing the game, or as far as I am concerned, merely watching the game play itself, which I have little interest in.

I'm not an engine programmer by trade, and I'm not familiar with the specific internals of the Unity engine or how Obsidian hooked their systems into it, but this is generally not something you'd need to completely gut and stitch back together the engine over.

Aye, certainly. While I personally would probably not utilize this to anything beyond my own amusement and satisfaction, I don't think its use would be merely a frivolous edgecase either. They are pushing this title to consoles next, and those are platforms that are recording the last N minutes as a default. PS4 has a dedicated share button on the controller, because, well, it's a big deal these days. Zachtronics certainly did well by considering the 'shareability' of their games, while raw footage of someone actually playing those games would to the uninitiated probably range somewhere from uninteresting to impenetrable.