Finished my first playthrough a couple days ago. Near the end of the game finally felt I had a decent enough amount of money.

45 hours in. Did tons and tons of sidequests before ever moving along the critical path as much as possible.

I never felt like i had enough gold where i could afford to enchant my weapons or armor further.

Am I doing something wrong, or is the game really intended to make enchantment prohibitively expensive? I only ever bothered upgrading my PC's gear because of the cost. 6000 or more copper for one upgrade when most quests gave me 1000 or 1500 copper... towards the end i felt like well now im starting to get enough money but the games almost over.

Maybe i just was doing something wrong - was i wasting money having a large crew on my ship? What are other people doing? Does everyone else both enchant AND have a big crew and i just suck?

I feel you get a **** load of money in this game after you are lvl 10, you know after Neketaka.

You just need to sell the loot you get from fights. All fights give me tons of Exceptional gear that sell for 4k a pop. I got over 200k, a  junk and plenty of upgraded gear and I'm lvl 13, probably just past the half point.

Do you know if quest rewards scale with difficulty? I am playing one step above story mode... wondering if that's part of why? I also spent over half the game in neketaka it seemed. I was definitely selling gear... i ended the game with around 50k. by then i was starting to upgrade gear, but the game was over.

Edited by DiabolicallyRandom

You can sell traps you collect on the way.

I generally do mostly Neketaka and main quest till i hit lv 13. And then buy Dhow and top sails, and start hunting bounties, bounties by rush forward and board the deck.

A lot of money could come from corpses and fine gear.

Check official wiki for gear you wanna keep for end game, and if you get some, upgrade it not else. There is more than 1 worthy weapon/armour for each class.

Edited by evilcat

Maybe i just was doing something wrong - was i wasting money having a large crew on my ship? What are other people doing? Does everyone else both enchant AND have a big crew and i just suck?

having an expensive ship and crew is... expensive.  travelling the map and repairing your ship is expensive.  keeping your crew's morale high with fruit or booze is expensive.  ship ownership, travel and maintenance is expensive by design.  at the end o' poe, a large % o' players complained how they never had anything 'pon which to spend money.  ships change the equation.  ship ownership is subject to exploitation.  if you buy the correct ship and work the world map as efficient as possible, you will still be cash poor for much o' the game, but you will also level extreme fast and have superb level gear early in your run.  

*shrug*

don't bother with ships and deadfire is still playable and fun... and you will have more dough. 

is a choice.

regardless, your poverty deep into the game is by design.

HA! Good Fun!

ps rewards do not scale, though there were a bug at release which had random legendary weapons dropping during a few encounters-- were fixed almost immediate.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Do you know if quest rewards scale with difficulty? I am playing one step above story mode... wondering if that's part of why? I also spent over half the game in neketaka it seemed. I was definitely selling gear... i ended the game with around 50k. by then i was starting to upgrade gear, but the game was over.

You do get more gold at higher difficulty, but I don’t think because of any kind of gold/reward scaling. Higher difficulty means more enemies which mean more dropped loot that can be sold for gold.

Edited by Braven
  • Like 1

The economics system need rebalance, u can easily sell 100k+ worth of lengendary gears in late game. You will never be short of money then. I enjoy the icewind dale 2 better because loot is very scare and you have very little money to spend on buying gears. Forcing u to be careful when shopping.

In deadfire? I just buy whatever yellow gears I see in the shop. It’s not exciting anymore.

Edited by dunehunter

The economics system need rebalance, u can easily sell 100k+ worth of lengendary gears in late game. You will never be short of money then. I enjoy the icewind dale 2 better because loot is very scare and you have very little money to spend on buying gears. Forcing u to be careful when shopping.

In deadfire? I just buy whatever yellow gears I see in the shop. It’s not exciting anymore.

iwd2 is linear. economics in a game with a large number o' tangential and optional side quests is dissimilar to iwd2.  metagame and completionism make a joke o' any developer attempts to address money saturation problem in a game with a large number o' tangential and optional sidequests.   in a game such as deadfire, there needs be enough money and 1007 drops for a first-time player who does naught but the critical path.  as such, for a game with  much content which is occurring removed from the critical path, the completionist will always acquire more 1007 than needed. axiomatic.  problem is further exacerbated by metagame knowledge.  with perfect knowledge, the player is not wasting time (money) mowing the world map or upgrading gear which will not be part o' the party's endgame kit.  at night the player can steal X sabre from Y vendor?  such stuff mocks developer efforts at economic balance as much as does completionism. 

the economics o' deadfire works.  look to the genesis poster.  45 hours in...  is little over half the hours o' Gromnir's first run.  most players is not hardcore completionists.  most players do not have metagame knowledge to any significant degree.  economy o' deadfire is designed for most, 'cause is inevitable a game such as deadfire, a game with a large number o' tangential and optional sidequests, will be economic broken for the completionist with metaknowledge. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

the way to get rich is to 

1.) steal as many ofthe superb and legendary things from merchant's chests you want to use and just use those and don't buy/ upgrade anything until late game and you are 100% certain your will be using that perticular item in your endgame build

2.) get by on your starter ship or a slightly improved Dhow and don't waste money on the expensive ships

3.) barath blessing starting 55K helps for the ship or a few endgame items if you know which you use - but a ship like a dhow is better to finance with that money

4.) sell everything up to and including exceptional stuff and even superb stuff you know you won't use. 

It is true though there is an economy to the very end - like it is more prudent to use legendary weapons you find rather than upgrading stuff to legendary quality because that gets very expensive

Edited by 1TTFFSSE
  • Like 1

In this thread we have people saying money is easy to get and people saying money is hard to get.

So it's not at all clear that there is an economy problem in the game at all.

Money is scarce until the last 1/5th of the game basically after that it becomes abundant. But not so much that you upgrade every weapon item to legendary. 

1.) steal as many ofthe superb and legendary things from merchant's chests you want to use and just use those and don't buy/ upgrade anything until late game and you are 100% certain your will be using that perticular item in your endgame build

2.) get by on your starter ship or a slightly improved Dhow and don't waste money on the expensive ships

3.) barath blessing starting 55K helps for the ship or a few endgame items if you know which you use - but a ship like a dhow is better to finance with that money

4.) sell everything up to and including exceptional stuff and even superb stuff you know you won't use. 

It is true though there is an economy to the very end - like it is more prudent to use legendary weapons you find rather than upgrading stuff to legendary quality because that gets very expensive

Do you recommend buying a Dhow and roaming the seas and plundering early game to make money/ levels? If so any tips on ship combat? I always seem to muck it up unless I outgun the enemy ship (or have a stronger hull)

Honestly, dunehunter, I'm not fond of games where you're cash poor.  Yes, maybe it forces you to make difficult decisions.  But personally, I'd rather have plenty of money because it's just more fun that way.

Regardless...

I don't like all the Superb and Legendary generic weapons and armors that get dropped.  Not because I don't like the money they provide.  I just don't feel that there should be that many super high grade generic items floating around a "semi-realistic" feeling world.  They're too costly to produce in bulk.  I'd honestly rather that they reduced the numbers of these high grade generic items and just commensurately increase the amount of currency you find as loot.   On this topic, one thing I really dislike is finding some dragon's (or someone else's) giant pile of loot (judging by what you see on screen) only to find a measly amount of money and a small number of items.  If I find a dragon's stash, it ought to be overflowing with gold, etc.  Thousands upon thousands in gold.  Maybe some good unique items.  But lots and lots of gold.

Do you recommend buying a Dhow and roaming the seas and plundering early game to make money/ levels? If so any tips on ship combat? I always seem to muck it up unless I outgun the enemy ship (or have a stronger hull)

I honestly got by just fine with the plain ol' starting ship, with some minor upgrades to sails, and cannons.  But the fact is that after a bit, I largely didn't bother with ship to ship combat, and bored straight in on the enemy ship so that I could board them, and fight them with my party.  I found that more fun.  And, I don't know how true it is, but I thought I read that you got more loot from boarding, while you'd get more crew XP for ship to ship combat.  So, I went for the loot.

• Like 2

I'm curious about ship upgrade. Should I buy each one in succession? Or just the Dhow?

If I want a bigger one even though it is more expensive to keep, should I wait until I have a good money reserve?

sign.jpg

Dhow is my favorite ship just because I feel it provides enough guns (three per side - long range star board, double bronzers port short is a nice setup) to take on any ship in the game but also save a bit of money mid game to get weapons upgraded to superior mid game when cash is still a bit scarce. 

I generally do mostly Neketaka and main quest till i hit lv 13. And then buy Dhow and top sails, and start hunting bounties, bounties by rush forward and board the deck.

Check official wiki for gear you wanna keep for end game, and if you get some, upgrade it not else. There is more than 1 worthy weapon/armour for each class.

Honestly thought you got the same amount of loot for winning ship combat minigame which I also thought cost you less in repairs etc. 

Honestly thought you got the same amount of loot for winning ship combat minigame which I also thought cost you less in repairs etc. 

Actually, I think that it cost less in repairs to play the ship combat minigame but charging directly in to boarding range, than it would to instantly choose boarding at the start of the ship combat.  it always seemed like choosing to skip the ship combat/direct to boarding option caused you to take a fair amount of damage every time.

If everyone were money poor until endgame, that would be great. Most RPGs are horrible at this and you end up able to afford literally everything you could ever want thrice over by midgame.

I think if you never buy consumables, plan things out so you only upgrade exactly what you want to upgrade, etc., then you're usually fine - after all, you could easily get by without ever upgrading your ship until endgame if you so chose.

If you're really starving for cash, always very easy to rob some houses, or beat up some ship and loot it, or sell the dozens of weapons and such you're not using sitting in stash.

• Like 1

I played 1.1 PoTD till level 17 and before I could think about it had galleon with all the cannons, everyone in great stuff & usually have 80k in pocket change.

Just do not upgrade bad items and don't do worthless upgrades. Most of the time Enchanting is nothing but money sink because enchants are often terrible and not worth your time ("heal 3 hp for 6 secs on crit for 9 secs" and all that dumb ****). You only want to increase quality of your weapons to superb+ and maybe do some key upgrades that are actually really good (like +power levels), buy good stuff and invest into good ship to 1-shot any other ship quickly and get their loot. Then sail around like a boss.

I made all my money boarding ships and selling all "blue" equipment. When I completed my first run yesterday, I had 500,000 credits after I had maxed out the ship equipment and bought most unique gear from the various vendors.