What kind of games do you play the most?

I mainly ask this because I was wondering, how many people are there that can enjoy a game like Planescape: Torment as well as a game like Halo 3? Because I do.

I play my Fallout 1/2, Arcanum, Drakensang, Incubation, DOOM, Blood etc. but every once in a while I also like to try one of the casual games such as COD, Halo, Skyrim, Fallout 4, Lego Star Wars, AC etc.

I also like trying some of the 'bad' games as well, be it Driver 3, Dead Rising 4 or Duke Nukem Forever.

Games I can never touch:

-weeb visual novels

-Europa Universalis, Stellaris, Crusader Kings and such

-about 99.99 percent of MMOs

-Fifa, Madden, NFL and licensed sports games that were released after 2000 and onwards

-Rocket League

-Walking simulators such as Dear Esther, Everybody is Gone to Rapture and such...

-FTL(and games similar to FTL)

-Tower Defense games

What about you fellas? How curious are you to play games and where do you draw the line?

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

JRPGs and racing. Sometimes I run some old school FPSs and old school WRPGs.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Roughly in order.

Immersive Sims / Stealth (Deus Ex, System Shock, Dishonored, MGS)

PC FPS (Half-life, Doom, TF2, L4D)

3D Action-Adventure Platformers (Ratchet & Clank, Spyro, Jak & Daxter, Super Mario, SotC)

Classic crpgs (FO, BG, Pillars, Kotor, The Witcher, Mass Effect)

Rockstar openworlds (GTA, Bully, RDR)

RTS (StarCraft, Age of Empires)

4X (Civilization, Endless Space)

Action RPG (Diablo 2, Demon's Souls)

I tend towards traditional pc-gaming and then Sony first-party stuff. It's really more of a grab bag of variety I guess, but there is stuff I tend to avoid.

Roughly in order.

Immersive Sims / Stealth (Deus Ex, System Shock, Dishonored, MGS)

PC FPS (Half-life, Doom, TF2, L4D)

3D Action-Adventure Platformers (Ratchet & Clank, Spyro, Jak & Daxter, Super Mario, SotC)

Classic crpgs (FO, BG, Pillars, Kotor, The Witcher, Mass Effect)

Rockstar openworlds (GTA, Bully, RDR)

RTS (StarCraft, Age of Empires)

4X (Civilization, Endless Space)

Action RPG (Diablo 2, Demon's Souls)

I tend towards traditional pc-gaming and then Sony first-party stuff. It's really more of a grab bag of variety I guess, but there is stuff I tend to avoid.

You can't go wrong with Sony.

• Like 2

Sony only made 2 mistakes that I wish they hadn't:

-ditched backwards compatibility for PS Now

-did not allow the PS Vita to support micro sd cards and the went ahead to kill the system way too early

They did a great job of giving developers a chance to make great games though. I am happy that they decided to take Kojima under their wings and allow him to make Death Stranding. I also had a ton of fun with Bloodborne and Demon's Souls, something I couldn't have experienced elsewhere.

Edited by Katphood
  • Like 1

-Management/rts strategy games - just not ones with 100 menus and statistics graphs, if you get what I mean. I like management games with a certain kind of real time flow, not number or political crunchers.

-Party-based rpg's

-Action-rpg's/dungeon crawlers - although I'm rather burnt on them at the moment, but I still enjoy the loot-action concepts.

-survival with building/exploration. More the survival aspect than any zombie/monster aspect, which is always meh.

-I liked adventure/platforming-action like the original Tombraiders, but they don't make them like that anymore.

Things I never or almost never play: competitive MP, cinematic shooters (simple things like the old days of original Doom are fun in short doses tho), side-scrollers of any type, any game that seems largely made up of cutscenes, QTE's, and walking from place to place (or 5 minutes of action) just to see more cutscenes and QTE's.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I never did like visual novels, RTS strategy games or even MMO's. I'm more

into the couple few genres below, when it comes to video games I enjoy most.

- First Person Shooters. (For shooters I like Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light)

- Action RPG's. (Titan Quest, Grim Dawn, Torchlight 2 and The Witcher series)

- Party RPG's. (Dragon Age 1 & 3, Baldur's Gate 2 and Pillars of Eternity 1 & 2)

- Racing. (Need for Speed Underground 1 & 2, and also 2005's Most Wanted)

- Space Sims. (Freelancer, X Series, Rebel Galaxy and Starpoint Gemini 2)

Edited by wolfrider100

" Life... is strength. That is not to be contested, it seems

logical enough. You live, you affect your world. "

Jon Irenicus ´

-did not allow the PS Vita to support micro sd cards and the went ahead to kill the system way too early

They did a great job of giving developers a chance to make great games though. I am happy that they decided to take Kojima under their wings and allow him to make Death Stranding. I also had a ton of fun with Bloodborne and Demon's Souls, something I couldn't have experienced elsewhere.

Agree. Vita also needed to be paired with a console and should have launched a year or two after the PS4 not before it. Sony could have really preempted the switch. Rumor has it Sony is thinking of another handheld, I just hope it comes out after the PS5.

Yeah, Death Stranding looks wild. So glad we didn't lose Kojima productions in that whole Konami fiasco. Sony did good.

• Like 1

I enjoy and own the good ones...

There are only 2 types of games I don't play/own: Visual Novels and Dating Sims.

My favorites are hardcore rpg like Sunless Sea (something not as casual as IE games or Divinity Original Sin series).

2D platformers are one of the best genres out there and are responsible for ushering so many games in the industry. Heck, even rpg's pay respects to classic 2D platforming... thanks Mom! Games like Sonic and Mario which spawned and evolved into Metroidvanias and so on. The list of cycle is literally eternal.

Casualist RPG: I have so many of these from Baldurs Gate to Divine Divinity. These come in all shapes and sizes from Crpg to Arpg. They fall into this catagory.

Horror: Soma, The Evil Within 1&2, Resident Evil Remasters, etc. They're all good for at least one playthrough.

Other favorites are hack-n-slash like Nier: Automata, Metal Gear Rising, Bayonetta... when people tell me "Those are mindless mashers" I say "Try any hack and slash on thr hardest difficulty, they'll be some of the hardest games you'll ever play".

Third person action games: Darksiders series, Tomb Raider classics, anything with brain-warping puzzles that we can't get from an rpg can be found in these. That's why I love them. Also, these type of games specifically have the most beloved characters of all time - and for good reason! :)

Jrpg is a genre which I have alotta experience in but have only real interest in only a select couple of franchises.

Anime fighters, I usually play these when they come out and then after they lose their community (a few months after release) I uninstall them and move on to something else.

Non-Anime (no air-dash) fighters: Injustice series, Killer Instinct and Soul Calibur series. Other than that I don't play much of these.

Racing: Everything from Star Wars: Episode 1 Pod Racer, Wipeout, Motortorm, Need Fot Speed originals, Ridge Racer. It's not arguable that th best racing games are on console... forget Driveclub, Forza, Project Cars and Gran Turismo. Hello San Francisco Rush 2049 and Hydro Thunder!!

Sandbox: Want a good sandbox game with actual freedom? try The Escapists 2. The game which you try to break out of prison is ironically the game that offers the most freedom in a game ever. If we can look past the pixel graphics, we find oke of the most rewarding and deep crafting systems in a game as well.

MMO's are the most hit and miss genre out there... I play ESO and that's about it. Not much to say here.

My last two comparisons:

Lego and RTS/4x

Lego games are always fun and unique. To a n00b, at first glance, they'll say "Every Lego game looks the same" but when we play them, we see that every Lego game sets itself apart. For example, Lego Hobbit has a deep crafting system, Lego Incredibles has a day/night cycle which affects the patterns of crime wave, Lego Worlds is a less obteusive Minecraft.

The average Lego game takes an adult to solve some of the puzzles and takes about 120 to 200 hours to 100% or platinum. So much for hand holding.

Bottom of the barrel for me is 4x and RTS. The genre excites me with every new game that gets revealed and then released, then gets super boring after playing the game for awhile. The games aren't bad, maybe I just lack the attention span.

Do I hate RTS/4x? Not at all. My favorite rts back in the day was abnd still is Age Of Empires 2. On the topic of 4x, they are the grander scale strategy games... too much to say as each 4x are games so I'll move on.

And finally, THE genre I never returned to: city/park builders.

It's been years since I've played any type of Park or City builders. I used to love Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 and I know that it's not just my nostalgia when I say that no city builder or park builder will ever feature such polished management systems, flexibility or depth.

I also don't really care for Sports games.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Agree. Vita also needed to be paired with a console and should have launched a year or two after the PS4 not before it. Sony could have really preempted the switch. Rumor has it Sony is thinking of another handheld, I just hope it comes out after the PS5.

Yeah, Death Stranding looks wild. So glad we didn't lose Kojima productions in that whole Konami fiasco. Sony did good.

True bad timing for the PS Vita indeed and one very important flaw I forgot to mention:

-the PS Vita could only be tied to one account. One of the great features that the PS3/PS4 have is that you can have multiple accounts from different regions on one system and the content gets shared between the accounts on that one system. The PS Vita does not allow that and if you want to log into a different account, you have to either forcefully format the memory card or replace it with another one. I hope Sony won't make similar mistakes in the future.

Edited by Katphood
  • Like 1

I like rpg games : Like BG2 , Planescape Torment (funny story there , I didn't like it at first then some guy on YT convinced me to give it another try , was the best thing I ever did ) , NWN , POE...Mass effect..dragon age and such . 

I like Strategy games : Like Civilization....Ahh..it never get old . Heroes of Might and Magic and such . 

I also like Simulations games : like Sims , Sims 2 and such (not that many when you think about it) . 

I also like Visualization Games (but with moderations) . And Games that are text based like choices of games (and not gender or orientation locked that is) . 

What I don't like , are FPS games . Just bore me . 

Hack'n slash RPG ? Yup . I mean I loved Diablo 1..but after that one...noooo...no more . 

Sport Games (cose mostly you need a controller..and I'm a pc master dooodooo lol ) . 

Horrors Games (cose I will need therapy afterward ) . 

Games that are gender locked to males , I skip them mostly . 

GTA Serie for exemple..yeah , nope thanx . 

VR Games.....I aint plugging nothing nowhere . Don't care how 'Cool!' it is either . 

Sandbox games that are shoved into RPG (Or Open world)....most of them sacrifice story for that crap . Yeah I'm looking at you Skylame ! 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

I'm always on the hunt for open worlds to explore at my own pace, from Test Drive Unlimited to Ghost Recon: Wildlands. Genre doesn't matter much (except strategy, I don't play those).

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Party Based rpgs

Simulation

Action rpgs

Turn based

It isn't so much the genre that attracts me to a game (i am biased I love my rpgs),than it is how much I can interject myself into the game. I do from time to time interject usual routine if the game capture my interest in a unique setting or charm that can be found just in that game (Bioshock, Jazz Punk, Passpartout: The Starving Artist).

Kinds of games:

Games featuring exploration...

Tomb Raider (the original, not the awful remake) and Baldurs Gate may not seem to have much in common, but they did. They offered excellent "exploration" experiences and the sense of discovering new and unknown areas. Same with Elite, Lords of Midnight etc.

Games featuring turn based tactical combat games...

Master of Orion 2, Space Rangers 2, X-Com 3: Apocalypse and Jagged Alliance 2 springs to mind. All were great fun and I kept replaying them over and over and over (etc.)

Games featuring good simulations...

Yeah, I grew up with Microprose, SSG, SSI and their likes. C64 strategy games, Commodore Amiga flight sims (and submarine sims, looking at you Silent Service!), Populous (god sims too!) etc.

I probably forgot something...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• Party-RPG (Baldur's Gate, Dragon Age, Pillars of Eternity, Pyre, Shadowrun);

Action-RPG (Dark Souls, Pyre, Immortal Planet);

Stealth-Action (Dishonored, Thief);

Action-Platformer (Prince of Persia, Dishonored);

Action (Dead Space; Devil May Cry, Bayonetta).

RPGs - generally party based as loot 'em ups and walking sims do nothing for me

Sports Games - pretty much limited to NFL and NBA though I can occasionally do MLB

Strategy - Paradox grand strategy games along with the likes of the XCOM and Civ series and HoMM

Free games updated 3/4/21

City builder & management games, RTS games, tactical games (nebulous genre description I know - but any game with one shot kills and H&K branded stuff, essentially) and adventure games have always been my favourite genres. Shooters as well, though I've gotten pretty terrible at them as I age. Hm, I chose bad genres to like as pretty much all of those are dead or few and far between.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I dunno, I like a bunch of different types of game styles.  I'm not unwilling to try anything except MMO anything.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I dunno, I like a bunch of different types of game styles.  I'm not unwilling to try anything except MMO anything.

I'm not unwilling to try something ... if it's cheap enough, and I'm bored enough. But I'm not going to spend $30-$60 to try a game style/genre that I know I generally don't get into. Maybe $10-$15. Maybe. :D

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I've gotten so bad that I don't even care to try free games. Steam is like first hit for free weekend and GOG and Origin are handing free games out like crazy but I'm just like nah, no thanks. I think I'm at a point where I might need to be paid to play something outside my norm

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

I am growing old as well. :(

I have fewer playing sessions and they usually don't last more than an hour. Gone are the days when I would sit there and play Red Alert 2 skirmishes all by myself. *weeps*

Party-based RPGs with strong single-player

Strategy games (especialy those based on good boardgames)

Resource management games

Empire/city builder games

I strictly stay away from multiplayer. The whole point of gaming for me is to get away from other people.