Hi, I love this game and have very few complaints so far but with that being said there are a couple things that could be improved. I would be ecstatic if the models for unique items were updated to make them look a little cooler. Even just a few magic glowy effects here and there would be awesome. I love the appearance for summoned weapons, and the 1 or 2 unique items that have detailed custom models with particle effects (like Aeldys' saber). I just wish there were more items like that, often I find a unique badass weapon that is probably the best in slot for a character and it just looks like a regular sword or axe or what have you. There are a couple cool looking plate armors as well but again, many of the models for uniques just feel underwhelming to me, and are often just a normal item in a slightly different color. Does anyone agree/ disagree? Is there any chance some of the visuals may be updated in the future?

Edited by Mu Shu Fasa
  • Like 1

I was just thinking the other day how I enjoyed when my weapon had an elemental enchantment that it would smoke from the fire, or drip from the corrosive, or whatever was appropriate for the enchantment. I don't see that any more.

Joe

• Like 2

I quite like the relatively restrained look of lots of the unique items in Deadfire and Pillars 1. They look practical rather than the bizarre over-sized weapons/armour you often get in other games. I like the game's relatively realistic aesthetic. That said, the odd aura/glow might help satisfy both camps here. :)

• Like 4

It's a bit meh if a unique padded armor with awesome enchantments just looks like a regular one. I mean I like it that you can still change color and so on - but a little more "uniqueness" on those wouldn't be so bad.

Some items are *really* nice looking though - I just hope that some of the bland ones get a bit more polishing with future patches or DLCs.

But please no glowing stuff on every second weapon. I wasn't a big fan of that in PoE.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I quite like the relatively restrained look of lots of the unique items in Deadfire and Pillars 1. They look practical rather than the bizarre over-sized weapons/armour you often get in other games. I like the game's relatively realistic aesthetic. That said, the odd aura/glow might help satisfy both camps here. :)

I agree, I'm not interested in giant unrealistic anime style aesthetics. I'd just like to see some particle effects and more variety for the base models.

On the other hand: it's a bit meh if a unique padded armor with awesome enchantments just looks like a regular one. I mean I like it that you can still change color and so on - but a little more "uniqueness" on those wouldn't be so bad.

Some items are really nice looking though - I just hope that some of the bland ones get a bit polishing with future patches or DLCs.

You can't actually change the colors on some of the uniques, which is kind of sad. Deltro's Cage plate armor for example looks much cooler when you are standing in the shadows because it turns black and blue, instead of the bronze look it has in the light, which you are unable to change.

Well, at least insofar as I am concerned, Aldris Blade of Captain Crow is the one weapon so far that I despise. The way it looks is just too over-the-top to my liking, which is a shame because of the effects of the blade. The clipping sure does not help neither.

When it comes to armors, though, I feel like they could have done a lot better in terms of variety. A lot of the armors are not that different from their counterparts of higher quality. It is particularly true for robes and such.

By the way, this game lacks an enchanted version of a captain’s cap like they added in the first game :p

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1dRJZPPAWoQKB

Is this in the game?

That's Firebrand, a summoned weapon. As I said in the original post, I think the summoned weapons look quite nice, and I wish some other uniques looked similar,

Hmn, thought it was gonna be a unique flaming sword since it says "burning lash" in that vid.

Edited by Quillon

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1dRJZPPAWoQKB

Is this in the game?

That's Firebrand, a summoned weapon. As I said in the original post, I think the summoned weapons look quite nice, and I wish some other uniques looked similar,

Hmn, thought it was gonna be a unique flaming sword since it says "burning lash" in that vid.

I think "burning lash" is an enchantment that does %burn damage, but I have used several burning lash weapons and have never seen any weapon with a fire visual effect like that aside from firebrand. 

Firebrand (and Citzal’s Spirit Lance) are VFX-only weapons that don’t really look good at all. On the contrary, they look unfinished. I had high hopes for them after seeing how good Concelhaut’s Parasitic Staff looked, until I got confirmation that they are meant to look as they currently do. The WIP burning lash VFX shown in the periscope link above looks leagues better and is not used in the game at all, that I know of.

That said, lashes in PoE looked bad to horrible, especially the slaying one (e. g. Whispers of Yenwood.) They were obnoxious, and they were ostensibly bidimensional (as opposed to the 3D object they applied to.) I’m glad such effects are not in Deadfire (but it’s a shame we didn’t get the cool-looking burning lash and perhaps something equally cool for the other elements.)

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Well, at least insofar as I am concerned, Aldris Blade of Captain Crow is the one weapon so far that I despise. The way it looks is just too over-the-top to my liking, which is a shame because of the effects of the blade. The clipping sure does not help neither.

When it comes to armors, though, I feel like they could have done a lot better in terms of variety. A lot of the armors are not that different from their counterparts of higher quality. It is particularly true for robes and such.

By the way, this game lacks an enchanted version of a captain’s cap like they added in the first game :p

Agreed – but there is such a hat in the game, it's given as a reward for finishing Serafen's quest :). Also, I'm pretty sure one of the devs confirmed that they're adding some unique robes.

Aldris Blade of Captain Crow is so bad looking that I'm surprised no one has made a mod changing its model yet. Looks more like a cheap novelty sword than something any person in their right mind (or who values wrist articulation) would actually use in a fight.

I think armors generally look great! Especially the lower tiers/mundane ones. Kudos to the art team!

550.jpg

Atsura, the intelligent Psychopath of my dreams.  I like my elves grumpy and my godlike fishy!

And my Rekke romancable!

I actually think armor in general looks pretty good in Deadfire. I love the down-to-earth look rooted in historical aesthetics, as opposed to the exaggerated, cartoonish looks that seem so popular nowadays.

Same with most weapons, to be honest. I’m only really underwhelmed by Firebrand and Spirit Lance (and by some unique armors not having a unique model.)

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Yep, i'm all for the realistic looking armour.

Don't know why it's considered boring? Can't do with the WoW looking plastic cosplay outfits or whatever.

The Huana aristocracy's clothes blow robe armors out of the water. It becomes particularly egregious when you compare Arkemyr, a legendary archmage with an opulent mansion-fortress, to any two-bit Huana nobleman. Arkemyr's robe is plain and tan, making him look like a catholic monk, while the Huana clothes are actual robes with bright colours and bejeweled mantles. 

It becomes much, much worse with the unique robe armors. The open slit on the robe mesh's skirt looks weird especially when seen from the side, and the Skaen robe looks like someone stitched human skins together while Humility is literally a tattered, dirty old robe.

• Like 1