Godlike (Especially Nature) hard to justify after patch?

I really did not think the +2 power levels were that excessive but +1 seems so measly that I cannot really find a mechanical justification for using the godlike, really any of them. There are some nifty helmets and masks in the game that I would prefer not to lose out on and the bonuses seem pretty minor to justify using godlike, apart from RPG reasons. Any thoughts?

• Like 3

Nature Godlike for Dual Caster (Sorcerer), +1/+1 PL fair deal

Otherwise RP is important factor.

Martial, could use Harth Orlan and Serafen hood. (or some other good cap) there is more caps for no-casters.

Edited by evilcat
  • Like 1

I really did not think the +2 power levels were that excessive but +1 seems so measly that I cannot really find a mechanical justification for using the godlike, really any of them. There are some nifty helmets and masks in the game that I would prefer not to lose out on and the bonuses seem pretty minor to justify using godlike, apart from RPG reasons. Any thoughts?

Do agree with you.

If anything I have a feeling that their racial would be balanced around +1.5 - 1.6 power level.

So +2 was a bit over it. While +1 is not enough to justify the loss of head_slot and other_racial.

But since it has to be an integer number, I'd prefer Wellspring of Life to provide when triggered:

+1 PL with all spells and effects; plus

+1 PL with restoration and rejuvenation spells and effects.

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 3

Why noone talks about Death, Fire and Moon godlikes, they have much worse racial bonuses than Nature one.

Yes, but almost no one used them even before the patch, not like there's suddenly a rush on them.

Hey. I use moon godlike. I'd use death too if they didn't have overgrown faces. xD

Edited by Slotharingia

nvAeseu.png

Martial, could use Harth Orlan and Serafen hood. (or some other good cap)

Someone actually plays Sorcerer? Sounds like a ... weird build. I wanted to but in the end couldn't handle druids cause of all the slow ass casting. 

I actually really love Death Godlike racial abilities. Although if i was to adjust them the biggest change i would make Pallid Fate and Deaths Usher to 50%. But then you might need to drop the +3 PL to maybe just +2.

As I stated somewhere else I would prefer Pallid Fate to work differently, instead of triggering on Near Death, it could work as aura, giving + to Power Level if there are Near Dead characters in certain range (including Death godlike as well).

It would still have this 'more powerful in presence of death', but more interesting gameplay wise. Also it will give some variety, making Death godlike different from other races with triggers on health loss.

Personally I play as Death godlike Marauder (berserker) and only use for Pallid Fate for me was to show when I reach Near death state to start healing. I don't remember ever successfully utilizing this bonus because you either heal up with spell or consumable or die in next hit.

I believe Nature Godlike is still justified if you go monk at least.  At level 20 it only takes 1 additional power level, single or multi class, to bump up to the next tier of transcendent suffering.  As you're leveling up you'll benefit from it about every other level, but it can be every level if you use the stone of power amulet or some other way to grab another +1 power levels.

Do agree with you.

If anything I have a feeling that their racial would be balanced around +1.5 - 1.6 power level.

So +2 was a bit over it. While +1 is not enough to justify the loss of head_slot and other_racial.

Exactly this.

In fact, everybody forgot that you lose the head slot. So +2 was strong but only for few casters.

I wonder if they would consider reworking Nature godlike altogether. The power level idea was good but Obsidian themselves did not like it so they nerfed it. Maybe something with stats? I cannot really think of anything off the top of my head though.

Martial, could use Harth Orlan and Serafen hood. (or some other good cap)

Someone actually plays Sorcerer? Sounds like a ... weird build. I wanted to but in the end couldn't handle druids cause of all the slow ass casting. 

Some people play it, a few.

It is possible. Nature Godlike. Have a bit more dex than normally. Use Infuse Vital Essence and Fleet Foot. Spam a lot. Try to avoid 4.5s cast if possible.

It is blast to play.

But you lose 3PL and 2 tiers from wizard. So it is more fun than power. Also Druid tier 7 is disappointment.

Lifegiver/Priest is interesting aproach to healing/buffing.

A little sad that Fessina is Conjurer, since with general wiz her class combo would be very interesting.

Edited by evilcat

Depends on how you define 'justify', I would argue. Because from the perspective of optimized PotD builds, maybe not. But something doesn't have to be the best possible thing for it to be justified, there just have to be good reasons for it. If it synergizes well with other abilities you've chosen, if it fits well with the play style or build you're after, if you just think it's fun... those seem like excellent justifications to me (also RP reasons of course, but focusing on the mechanics for now). For me, I'm perfectly happy with my Death Godlike poisoner character running around putting DoTs on everything in sight; the race fits the character very well, and the +20% bump at the end is certainly useful.

Honestly when it comes to godlike I think they need to introduce General Talents that each one can pick up as they go up in power levels. The bonuses as is are too weak compared to late game gear and if they are powerful enough to compete then they are too much early on. This would end up costing you an ability point or more so the upgrades could be rather potent and unique in comparison to what a base ability could be. And if you had it so that it branched then you give some choice back to the player. Disallowing headgear takes choice away. Talent options give some choice back. To use an example maybe at PL3 the fire godlike could pick to extend 1/2 of their battle forged so that it activated at hurt rather than bloodied. So you could get the shield effect or the armor effect earlier but not both. A PL6 or 7 ability could extend it to always being on. 2-4 damage isn't that much at that point so it being there from the start shouldn't be too bad I would think.  Or perhaps if that is too weak for an ability point have it affect the complete package but the choice is between earlier activation or a stronger effect. Such as maybe upgrading damage a bit at the first step and then at the last step granting an addition armor point when bloodied.

Moon Godlike could get a boost to healing strength or have it suppress afflictions for x amount of time when it activates. The final step would be more healing or complete affliction removal. Actually that would probably be a bit much, probably leave it as suppress for x and downgrade 1 level when the suppression wears off.

Nature could perhaps get options to tie it to HP / make it stronger again. I.E. change the trigger from specific inspirations to having  HP triggers versus having it gain additional powerlevel boosts. Such as first gains an addition +1 to healing type spells and eventually the original +2.

Death Godlike is the tough one since just increasing the HP thresholds sounds like a bad idea for multiple reasons. That said Pallid fate could possibly have an upgrade option to also increase deflection when bloodied(you become more ethereal the closer you become to death or some such)  versus having an automatic revival like Eder's armor.

At the very least it would be more interesting if Godlikes got some kind of choice to make up for losing the choice of headgear.

And speaking of Godlikes I had a bit of chuckle in my Fire Godlike run I am on. I am literally on fire and appear to have metal skin. Sure Galian. Punch me all you want. I really wish that had a Fire Godlike special response of him burning himself. Would have been hilarious.

• Like 1