Hi there all

I'm sorry if I sound like an idiot here, but I really can't figure out how to get this patch? Do I need to download it from somewhere? I've checked Steam and GOG but I can't seem to find it - only the latest Beard DLC. Please help me.

It should automatically update if you are using Steam or GOG Galaxy. Which distributor did you get the game through? and which OS do you use (Windows, Mac, Linux)?

I got it through GOG and I'm running Windows 10

If you are using GOG Galaxy, it should automatically update the game for you. If you decided not to use Galaxy, then I believe you need to re-download the game from GOG.

ps: Again i should mention, i agree difficulty should be increased greatly and items should be nerfed. An item should not have more than 1 gimmick, and some had far too many affixes. Let them have no more than 1 major and 1 minor buff for the most powerful ones.

Which I reckon is why they decreased the bonus damage from Baubles of the Fin from +5% to +3%, and reduced all recovery buffs :facepalm:

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Hi there all

I'm sorry if I sound like an idiot here, but I really can't figure out how to get this patch? Do I need to download it from somewhere? I've checked Steam and GOG but I can't seem to find it - only the latest Beard DLC. Please help me.

As said if you are using Galaxy it should update automatically, otherwise you should download the patch from the game's page in your library (1.0.2 -> 1.1) these should be the links 

https://www.gog.com/downloads/pillars_of_eternity_2_game/en1patch0

https://www.gog.com/downloads/pillars_of_eternity_2_game/en1patch1

Edited by Daled
  • Like 1

I still just want to know if the behaviors for ascended ciphers got added. :/ (those being conditions for focus being full)

i never cheked this feature before, but atm this is what you can set about cypher resource (doesn't matter which subclass you choose)

Of course you need a custom behavior, in the default ones you just found the commons aggressive&defensive

Pillars_of_Eternity_II_Deadfire_Screensh

So probably you should be able to set that with a more clever custom script

EDIT

No, sorry you can't cuz 'Self: Max Focus' doesn't exist in AI behaviors (apologize, never played an Ascended)

So Devs please, add  it, It's really needed cuz atm you can't set that in AI scripts 

Also it isn't clear if the values are raw values or percentages (i hope the last one)

Edited by kilay
  • Like 1

ps: Again i should mention, i agree difficulty should be increased greatly and items should be nerfed. An item should not have more than 1 gimmick, and some had far too many affixes. Let them have no more than 1 major and 1 minor buff for the most powerful ones.

Which I reckon is why they decreased the bonus damage from Baubles of the Fin from +5% to +3%, and reduced all recovery buffs :facepalm:

If you are talking about items i agree, but they also reduced recovery from classes as well. That is part of what i disagree. 

Happen only to me or is the combat game speed  resetted to really slow anytime you relaunch the game?

So Devs please, add  it, It's really needed cuz atm you can't set that in AI scripts 

Also it isn't clear if the values are raw values or percentages (i hope the last one)

They are RAW values, not percentages, and on top of that, new ones don't open up as you level up, so if you're around level 10-12 and your max focus is around 140-160, then the highest limit you can set via the behaviors is still just 90, which means that in it's current state you have to 100% micromanage all of your ascended's abilities. My biggest problem with this is how easy it would be to implement, so I can't fathom why it wasn't just in the base game. However, if the rest of the new options (being able to swap weapons, use items, etc) allow me to completely stop micromanaging the REST of my team, I might be okay only having to micromanage the one character.

However, I will reiterate, it would be incredibly easy to implement, and so it should be added in ASAP. It seems more like an oversight than anything else.

Also, thank you very much for the screenshot and info.

Edited by Tinman200
  • Like 1

They are RAW values, not percentages, and on top of that, new ones don't open up as you level up, so if you're around level 10-12 and your max focus is around 140-160, then the highest limit you can set via the behaviors is still just 90, which means that in it's current state you have to 100% micromanage all of your ascended's abilities.

Really bad, really really bad.

Btw in the meanwhile i've asked here

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/88?tab=posts

how the author suggested also a check on the status effect should work but i am not able to set that (and idk if him has suggested me to try cuz it is doable or if it was just a consideration about a next add-on)

Edited by kilay

Yeah some of the nerfs are uncalled for. Absolutely fine with the overpowered stuff, but other nerfs are frustrating.

Really, really hope they relook the darn beckoner nerf. It's a tad bizarre actually, they left troubadour and skald alone,and nerfed the weakest chanter subclass... Not suggesting they nerf the other subclasses btw, just odd that they would smack down the weakest...

Will hold off playing my canon (beckoner) in the hopes they will relook it.

Things like this make me wish the designers or at least a CM with access to the designers did more communicating with the community here.

The Beckoner thing is bizarre and clearly a miscommunication somewhere between the players and the designers. I don't think anyone on this forums thought Beckoners needed a nerf, if anything they needed a buff, and meanwhile Troubadour is generally considered to be one of the best classes and was left alone.

If the devs had more of a back and forth with us here on these decisions either we could:

• Understand their reasoning better, and maybe at least have some idea why a change like this was made.
  • Have more of a discussion of what changes should be made instead.

I absolutely understand that this sort of communication would potentially eat up a lot of time and place a large strain on the devs but at least some sort of communication back and forth on these issues could really help.

I really like Josh (and he's probably not the one making individual changes like this) but it's pretty ridiculous that he posts basically everywhere but here.

• Like 4

how the author suggested also a check on the status effect should work but i am not able to set that (and idk if him has suggested me to try cuz it is doable or if it was just a consideration about a next add-on)

That status effect (the one when the cipher becomes "ascended") is a unique status and doesn't have a check in the conditionals page, but that would be a much easier way to make a mod for that condition.

It would not hurt to know what OE generally tries to achieve with balance changes. What is the goal.

Like nerfing spiritual weapon of Priest.

Did this trivalized PotD?

Was Priest to donimant pick?

Was Spiritual Weapon superior to anything else?

Does Priest overshadows other classes?

Summoned weapons are too good?

Priest wasnt fun to play since game too easy?

I stopped my current run mostly to try a new character idea, and only waited for the patch because it happened to be coming out soon. There was really only one bug that bothered me in my playthrough and I was wondering if anyone knows if this particular bug was fixed.

Does Serafin's quest still not resolve?

I thought companion reps were supposed to go slower? I stole from the dawnstars at the begging of the game and Eder dropped to -1. He talked to me immediately after the cut scene in Port Maje.

Atsura, the intelligent Psychopath of my dreams.  I like my elves grumpy and my godlike fishy!

And my Rekke romancable!

I thought companion reps were supposed to go slower? I stole from the dawnstars at the begging of the game and Eder dropped to -1. He talked to me immediately after the cut scene in Port Maje.

I'd think the baseline you start at is neutral though. So if your first interaction is negative, its gonna put you in bad standing.

Why doesn't companion AI work properly still?

Xoti doesn't cast Swift Strikes even when conditions are met, and companions frequently sit there doing nothing while a 'gear' icon is shown above them.

Just to be clear, I think this is a great patch, I'm just confused as to why you haven't fixed this blatant bug yet?

Edited by Yosharian

Hi there all

It should automatically update if you are using Steam or GOG Galaxy. Which distributor did you get the game through? and which OS do you use (Windows, Mac, Linux)?

I got it through GOG and I'm running Windows 10

If you are using GOG Galaxy, it should automatically update the game for you. If you decided not to use Galaxy, then I believe you need to re-download the game from GOG.

no need to redownload the whole game - there's a manual patch (which wasn't downloading properly for many people earlier but I believe it's fixed now. (Edit: May not  be fixed yet according to posts on gog - I'm at work and unable to confirm - there's reports that redownloading the whole game doesn't work right either due to a missing BIN file).

ILE as Daled points out:

Hi there all

As said if you are using Galaxy it should update automatically, otherwise you should download the patch from the game's page in your library (1.0.2 -> 1.1) these should be the links 

https://www.gog.com/downloads/pillars_of_eternity_2_game/en1patch0

https://www.gog.com/downloads/pillars_of_eternity_2_game/en1patch1

Edited by Silent Winter

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Interesting character changes. These seem primarily concerned with OP class powers, in particular multi-class combinations. 

My issues - preist still underpowered. Cipher still underpowered at low levels. Battlecasters/weapon summoners still don't work properly (needs an AI condition - at beginning of every battle, to cast summons) - summoning is too slow, even with the talent, and why did you nerf preists spiritual weapon? 

The issue here with weapon summoners and battle casters isn't power, it's that you can't use them without micromanaging them, and by the time you use even one buff, and one weapon summon, much of most battles is over.  

Paladin seems like it still might be a tad OP due to all the resistences/immunities. Debuffs and effects like paralyze are what makes combats extra challenging. Paladin should have some immunity to these, but looks like this wasn't addressed. 

Restricting cleave to one proc is definately the right move. With the justified rogue boost, a dual wielding fast weapon riposte rouge fighter might be as interesting as a monk/fighter. Or for that matter a monk/rogue. 

Ranger companion boost probably isn't enough. Perhaps ranger companions should give a buff like pets and familiars. Just add a bit of flavour to make it seem more fun. 

I can say I agree with MOST of that. As much as I personally enjoy min/maxing, you never want it to feel cheap. And some of the combinations this nerf dealt with were 100 percent cheap. 

But my misgiving is that you've taken such a hammer to all of this, it makes class selection a bit less interesting - when you could have just nerfed the most OP things, and boosted up the weaker classes. 

Edited by drael6464

i vehemently detest how they handled class balance. Instead of buffing the weak classes up to t1 classes what we got instead of is myriad of builds getting destroyed because obsidian felt thats how they should balance. Fook that. People are already playing this game, you cant make this drastic changes mid-way. You want to increase difficulty, buff the weak classes to have their own niche, let every class "retain" their flavour. THEN you balance the Veteran & PotD. I agree, difficulty should be increased greatly, but you should do that on different medium. I am severely disappointed now, and very discouraged to even continue playing anymore. These guys removed the best aspect of multiclassing, creating unique builds. Now they all the classes i liked feel bland. Priest completely lost the reason i used them :Dire Blessing and Devotions of the faithful. Everything else she can do other classes do it much better. Her niche was her buffs that now you can easily live without. Monk is completely decimated, lost about 45% lash damage (15 from LS, 30 from TW) . I can go on. Every class had whatever made them strong taken away. 

I do not want to play bland classes, period. If you want me to deal with Monk's extremely high stat requirement(he literally needs every single stat), his need to take damage, and deal with his attention needs, he needs to give me something.This is a single player game. If you ruin people's fun in the name of balance you'll lose them. In first game classes felt bland, only at higher levels they became different enough from one another. Do not make the same mistake here. I finally was excited to create builds in this game, which you did not even let us have for more than a month. Revert class nerfs, buff weak classes further. Until then, i will never update this game.

Yeah, I agree with this. Maybe not as passionately as you, but I feel they could have focused more on just the most OP combinations and increased the power of the least, rather than taking a nerfhammer to everything in sight. In the first game class choice did feel bland. It felt like, until you got higher level, like it didn't matter what you chose. 

I still think that there will be useful class combinations here, but it does feel a bit like they might have trimmed too much. Multi-cleave definately had to go, and some of the reproc items (and maybe some paladin stuff), but they really didn't need to nerf that much. 

On a side note, I always felt like monk and cipher were annoying in that they uniquely had to build up points during combat. It's very micromanagey.  A) it'd be nice to be able to play a cipher as a dedicated spellcaster and B) I'm sure they can come with other benefits to light armour for a monk - like perhaps certain abilities only work in light or no armour. 

From a flavour perspective though, this doesn't gel with me the same way the cat people, and people with glowing blue skin don't gel with me. It's a bit "big, bright and colourful", and I don't really like my fantasy like that. It just feels like throwing colourful stuff at a wall rather than something coherent and compelling. 

• Like 2