here is this gamedatabundle files? is it everything inside PillarsOfEternityII_Data\assetbundles ?

anyway to just install the patch without the balance changes?

You can save the abilities, attacks, statuseffects, and items gamedatabundle files from 1.02, then install the patch and restore those files. You'll get the features and engine fixes with none of the balance changes.

where is this gamedatabundle files? is it everything inside PillarsOfEternityII_Data\assetbundles ?

Not sure if i'm correct, because i never touched gamedatabundle files before, but i found those files in this path:

Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire\PillarsOfEternityII_Data\exported\design\gamedata

anyway to just install the patch without the balance changes?

You can save the abilities, attacks, statuseffects, and items gamedatabundle files from 1.02, then install the patch and restore those files. You'll get the features and engine fixes with none of the balance changes.

where is this gamedatabundle files? is it everything inside PillarsOfEternityII_Data\assetbundles ?

Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire\PillarsOfEternityII_Data\exported\design\gamedata\

Edited by kilay

I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings or sth, because someone finds x difficulty too hard, but...

I don't understand people who complain about PotD to be too hard or Dark Souls isometric style, lol. There are still lower difficulties, just for people like you. But vets or people who look for a real challenge want hard difficulty to be... hard and challenging, not just normal. 

And I'm not even a cRPG vet. PoEI was my first cRPG game and while midgame on veteran difficulty I decided to start a new game on PotD because it was too easy for me on the lower difficulty. Now, PoEII PotD 1.1 still feels quite easy even with -28% exp module from Deadly Deadfire mod. I think I'll just enable another modules (higher scaling, more hp for enemies), if the game is still not challenging enough.

But mods are not a good solution for "fixing" the game. PoEII should be balanced and have difficulties for: people who are interested in story (Story difficulty); casual gamers (Relaxed, Normal); people who look for a challenge (Veteran); veterans and people who look for a real challenge (PotD).

If items, classes, encounters (enemies' composition, positioning, not stats) are balanced, so maybe some kind of slider for PotD would be a good idea? I mean slider, where you could adjust level scaling of enemies, max hp, etc. Or next PotD levels PotD I, PotD II, PotD III... with fixed scaling (+1 Armor / 3 levels & +1 Penetration / 2 levels). Everyone would be happy, because apparently 5 difficulty levels are not enough.

I can agree with many things, like nerf to infinite procs.

I can understand other, like change to Charge (it is still ok gapcloser)

Or just adapt, less mob stance more conqueror.

However in some nerfs, a lot of effort was put into, but it wasnt needed, and it the same time something else could be done, more needed.

Some nerfs was so hard the smash subclass below line "as good as needed to be worthy" without buffs to push it back into party.

More specific:

Petty nerfs:

• Fighter Penetrating Strike and Barbarian Barbaric Blows lowered from +25% Damage to +20%.
  • Flames of Devotion Lowered from +25% Damage to +20%. 
  • Bleak Walker lowered from +15% Damage to +12%.

How does this change anything? If Paladin is OP nerfing one abillity by 5% and one subclass by 2.5% (such precission) will not change anything.

In the same time Rogue, Ranger get +25% bonus as it was normal value. Game can just carry on with Penetrating Strike being overall better than Cripping Strike, but only Rogue has massive Sneak Attack with Devastating Strike, or that Riposte on blinded enemies. You can balance with other abillities, not just 1to1.

If you though that Rogues are just too low and deserve better, then general discount on abillities will fix that (so expansive) or give tier VIII "Guile on Kill"

Ranger need some better ways to keep pet alive, and pet need to scale damage harder with levels and legendary equipment.

Thing: Marial classes have expansive abillities, and low resource pool. At low levels need to pick something. Abhuration is not very bad, just at this point i have no Zeal and no level points to pick it.

Generally: Rogue, FIghter, Ranger, Barbarian, Paladin should have Resource at Kill (could be chance for) at tier VIII, and that would close the gap among them and with Monks/Chanters.

• Beckoner -1 Summon Invocation Cost to +1

The main point of Beckoner is summoning hordes of minions. And now we are worse at it than Trubadour or Pure. And it is hitting main theme of class. It is like Ubroken FIghter being prohibitted of using shields. Yes you can make it work, it may even be good. May use summoning only at start once, and focus on other invocations, but it is not the theme of class. It could be done other way. Like +1 to no summon invocations.

• Priest Spritual Weapon now has a base proc damage of 25% scaling up to 30% or as low as ~20% based on deity disposition.

Priests spiritual Weapon never was that great, since it has no all sweet legendary upgrades. At least there is space for other level 2 spells.

• Wildstrike Procs 20% -> 15%
  • Greater Wildstrike & Wildstrike Frenzy Procs 40% -> 25%

Wildstrike never was super good. Since you are losing your legendary boomsticks of doom, as well as all other equipment. I dont like shifters neither, they drop fur everywhere. But that, that is animal abuse (Eder disaproves).

• Cipher Pain Block 30s -> 18s Duration.

This is single target, since inspiration. Why not nerf Infuse Vital Essence then? Or any other buff which still has >20s duration?

It was popular in teletry, since other Cipher powers suck in general.

• Body Attunement +/- 5 AR to +/- 2 AR

Single target HyrHylaf. Why not Desintegrate then, it cost similar. Too much nerf, or too much cost.

• Soul Annihilation Focus -> Raw Damage ratio halved and Raw Damage only applies on first hit in an AOE

So what is advatage of SoulBlade now? Discout for Shred is not a selling point. This could be done better. Iif it was about backstab combo, then limit to max 100 focus per cast would done better. Now it is better to cast Desintegrate, at least before it get nerfed.

With items i could mostly adapt, and just pick best stick which is avaiable and move on.

Big thanks for abillity to mod, without  this it would be hard.

Edited by evilcat
  • Like 9

(watching the changes to unique items)
so instead of just fixing the bugs you decided to absolutely murder all good unique items, nerfing them to the point of normal items
the bonuses is so low now, that you may as well use superb items instead
did players asked for this nonsense?

Edited by shamil.a
  • Like 2

Thanks. I guess i'll keep playing the waiting game..

Is Triple Crown achievement finally included?

Doesn't look like there are any new achievements for now.

You can still play for the experience, it's not like anyone but yourself cares about that you got the achievement anyway. 

On topic: People complained that the game is too easy/player was too powerful already early on so nerfs were guaranteed and expected. If you didn't think that was the case i don't know what to say. 

Edited by _teknikz
  • Like 3

Please make a way to show the ability's tree, it's really annoying doesn't understand what some passive abilities do, cuz aren't neither well explained in the GUI. Like Cleaving Stance or Riposte, ok english is not my mother language but what i should  understand from that??

https://imgur.com/a/7CpsB52

And in my language is even worse

Also from the previous screen about Persistent distraction i understand  that the ability distracts the player character , instead it's the opposite.

So check the sintax please.

About the nerf  i'm quite happy, and thnks for the skip-intro button and character customization features , really needed :)

Edited by kilay
  • Like 4

Due to getting my copy through GoG, this patch means I have loads more free time. After playing far too much for the last 10 days, since trying to install the patch Deadfire won't even launch and GoG's only advice is to complain to Obsidian and reinstall the game. Delightful customer service there.

It was fun while it lasted...

So do Explosives no longer scale based on Explosives skill? What does Explosives skill accomplish then?

I agree, I don't understand what they mean by that, some clarification would be good. Does that mean that their damage no longer scales up and the only thing affected by the explosives is AOE? Explosives was my favorite skill, so this is kinda sad if this is true :/

For reference: 

• Explosives - All scaling not based on PL is removed.

Edit: think I got the answer I was looking for thanks to thelee, sorry for crowding this thread more

Edited by NocturnalTrance

"People fear, not death, but having life taken from them. Many waste the life given to them, occupying themselves with things that do not matter. When the end comes, they say they did not have time enough to spend with loved ones, to fulfill dreams, to go on adventures they only talked about... But why should you fear death if you are happy with the life you have led, if you can look back on everything and say, 'Yes, I am content. It is enough.'" ~Wynne, Dragon age Origins

I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings or sth, because someone finds x difficulty too hard, but...

I don't understand people who complain about PotD to be too hard or Dark Souls isometric style, lol. There are still lower difficulties, just for people like you. But vets or people who look for a real challenge want hard difficulty to be... hard and challenging, not just normal. 

And I'm not even a cRPG vet. PoEI was my first cRPG game and while midgame on veteran difficulty I decided to start a new game on PotD because it was too easy for me on the lower difficulty. Now, PoEII PotD 1.1 still feels quite easy even with -28% exp module from Deadly Deadfire mod. I think I'll just enable another modules (higher scaling, more hp for enemies), if the game is still not challenging enough.

But mods are not a good solution for "fixing" the game. PoEII should be balanced and have difficulties for: people who are interested in story (Story difficulty); casual gamers (Relaxed, Normal); people who look for a challenge (Veteran); veterans and people who look for a real challenge (PotD).

If items, classes, encounters (enemies' composition, positioning, not stats) are balanced, so maybe some kind of slider for PotD would be a good idea? I mean slider, where you could adjust level scaling of enemies, max hp, etc. Or next PotD levels PotD I, PotD II, PotD III... with fixed scaling (+1 Armor / 3 levels & +1 Penetration / 2 levels). Everyone would be happy, because apparently 5 difficulty levels are not enough.

You misread my post friend , im not complaining about the difficulty , i think they overnerfed many things yes , but im ok , what i was saying is that they are spending more time balancing the difficulty because people complain to no end that the game is easy and to me they should focus more on story , companions and gameplay bugs , because this is a rpg ... Yeah now the game is harder but you still lose points when you respec , yeah now PoTD have harder fights but Aloth dispositions still mess up , and so on ....

Im not saying they dont need to balance the game , im just saying i think , in a RPG game , story , companions and quests bugs need to be the priority , thats the reason for the Dark Souls isometric edition joke , because in Dark Souls the priority is combat and difficulty.

Edited by Whitewolfsp
  • Like 4

The only thing that's really bothering me (to the point of utter distraction) is that the The Amazing and Truly Incredible Instant Potion Belt's Alchemist's Cache has been reduced to 1!

I loved that thing and now I don't think there's any point to use it anymore. A "cache" is literally a "collection of items," not just one, ya'll!

Don't see it mentioned in the impressive big list of changes and fixes, so can you please change the UI for enchantments so that we know which are exclusive? Right now it's mostly guesswork what enchantment disables others.

Would also love to see re-spawning of ships so we can sink more. Surely they shouldn't give up on ship-building just because of some rogues bugger out there? :naughty:

• Like 2

I am quite disappointed with the way of how PotD's got changed. Enemies have got +2 armor/penetration bonuses for difficulty level and it's huge. 

1) there is no point in heavy armor anymore since your enemies will always have enough penetration to deal full damage; 

2) weapon like Pistol, Hunting Bow, Blunderbuss etc. is completely useless now for the obvious reason;

3) most of the summoned weapon is useless (I mean, even more useless now than it used to be);

4) bye story companions, hello 5 mage parties (at least you won't have to worry about penetration that much);

5) every encounter is problematic now, since enemies always have superior stats. You think you are so cool in your legendary equipment, Herald of Berath? Those xaurips don't think so!

It's not that PotD too hard now. Just the way you have fixed difficulty level is the cheapest and the most stupid. 

@dunehunter: Josh said on SA they’re working on it :)

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I am quite disappointed with the way of how PotD's got changed. Enemies have got +2 armor/penetration bonuses for difficulty level and it's huge. 

1) there is no point in heavy armor anymore since your enemies will always have enough penetration to deal full damage; 

2) weapon like Pistol, Hunting Bow, Blunderbuss etc. is completely useless now for the obvious reason;

3) most of the summoned weapon is useless (I mean, even more useless now than it used to be);

4) bye story companions, hello 5 mage parties (at least you won't have to worry about penetration that much);

5) every encounter is problematic now, since enemies always have superior stats. You think you are so cool in your legendary equipment, Herald of Berath? Those xaurips don't think so!

It's not that PotD too hard now. Just the way you have fixed difficulty level is the cheapest and the most stupid. 

things i don't understand about this post:

1. there never was a point in heavy armor in potd to begin with because enemy penetration was so low you could get decent protection from a superb/exceptional medium armor. by about half-way through the game in both my potd runs, half my party was in cloth, and my melee was a mix between medium and light and damage was rarely ever a problem. (now heavy armor might actually matter)

2. shortly after the 1.1 landed, i resumed my (almost complete) potd run, and really didn't see how some weapons got screwed. my great sword wielder did run into some enemies where she could only do 25% damage, but it's not like all of a sudden she was underpenetrating everything. if anything, this makes the various stuff that grants you penetration actually important, and piercing-only-no-bonus-pen weapons like the pistol or hunting bow interestingly situational (whereas before you could just brute force the hunting bow).

4. you do realize spells are also impacted by penetration/armor mechanics?

5. PotD is supposed to be hard. If you want to roflstomp enemies, go play a lower difficulty.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 3

Before I reinstall the game I wanted to ask if this patch added a behavior condition so that your Ascended Cipher would not use certain abilities until "Focus=Full"? That was my biggest issue with the game, honestly. It might seem small, but for some reason it irked me enough to put a hold on playing the game until either a patch or mod fixed that issue.

1. there never was a point in heavy armor in potd to begin with because enemy penetration was so low you could get decent protection from a superb/exceptional medium armor. by about half-way through the game in both my potd runs, half my party was in cloth, and my melee was a mix between medium and light and damage was rarely ever a problem.

2. shortly after the 1.1 landed, i resumed my (almost complete) potd run, and really didn't see how some weapons got screwed. my great sword wielder did run into some enemies where she could only do 25% damage, but it's not like all of a sudden she was underpenetrating everything. if anything, this makes the various stuff that grants you penetration actually important, and piercing-only-no-bonus-pen weapons like the pistol or hunting bow interestingly situational (whereas before you could just brute force the hunting bow).

5. PotD is supposed to be hard. If you want to roflstomp enemies, go play a lower difficulty.

1) My point was: there is no benefit from heavy armor at all now. If you think that heavy armor was not the optimal choice even in the previous patch, well, maybe you are right. But there is a difference between 'not optimal' and 'completely useless';

2) It's like we are playing different games. In the game that I play enemies have got 14 armor against slashing/piercing attacks wearing exceptional armor, while my superb sword's got 9 penetration. The weapon with low penetration was already situational, but with this +2 armor bonus it's changed from situatoinal to 'never used'; 

4) It does not matter for mages that much. 

5) I did not claim that PotD is too hard now, read carefully. The need to switch between different types of weapons all the time does not make the game harder, only less enjoyable. PotD had to be fixed, but not like that. 

Hi there all

I'm sorry if I sound like an idiot here, but I really can't figure out how to get this patch? Do I need to download it from somewhere? I've checked Steam and GOG but I can't seem to find it - only the latest Beard DLC. Please help me.

It should automatically update if you are using Steam or GOG Galaxy. Which distributor did you get the game through? and which OS do you use (Windows, Mac, Linux)?

• Like 2

Hi there all

I'm sorry if I sound like an idiot here, but I really can't figure out how to get this patch? Do I need to download it from somewhere? I've checked Steam and GOG but I can't seem to find it - only the latest Beard DLC. Please help me.

It should automatically update if you are using Steam or GOG Galaxy. Which distributor did you get the game through? and which OS do you use (Windows, Mac, Linux)?

I got it through GOG and I'm running Windows 10

1. there never was a point in heavy armor in potd to begin with because enemy penetration was so low you could get decent protection from a superb/exceptional medium armor. by about half-way through the game in both my potd runs, half my party was in cloth, and my melee was a mix between medium and light and damage was rarely ever a problem.

1) My point was: there is no benefit from heavy armor at all now. If you think that heavy armor was not the optimal choice even in the previous patch, well, maybe you are right. But there is a difference between 'not optimal' and 'completely useless';

2) It's like we are playing different games. In the game that I play enemies have got 14 armor against slashing/piercing attacks wearing exceptional armor, while my superb sword's got 9 penetration. The weapon with low penetration was already situational, but with this +2 armor bonus it's changed from situatoinal to 'never used'; 

4) It does not matter for mages that much. 

5) I did not claim that PotD is too hard now, read carefully. The need to switch between different types of weapons all the time does not make the game harder, only less enjoyable. PotD had to be fixed, but not like that. 

1. my point is there actually may be benefit from heavy armor now, because enemy penetration is higher. before damage was virtually never an issue.

2. seriously we must be playing different games. like i said, the % of time my great sword wielder gets underpenetration has gone up from like near-0 (a small exaggeration, but close) to a modest chunk of time. i say: great! now, devoted subclass bonus can be very meaningful (instead of only slightly meaningful) for various classes of weapons, and there's greater incentive to mix up your weapons to dodge penetration issues (whereas like I said frequently you could just brute force with e.g. a hunting bow)

4. i literally see underpenetration for my mages with great frequency when targeting various damage spells. for debuffs, no it doesn't matter, but that's sort of orthogonal a point. for like a PL7-9 spell modest underpenetration doesn't matter as much because of the enormous damage you might be dealing (and also they have inherently higher penetration), but it's not like it's a non-factor. again, it's like we're playing completely different games.

5. i actually find the need to switch weapons a significant increase in my enjoyment of the game. This may just be a philosophical/gameplay difference preference, but the change in deadfire to "demurk" armor and elevate the "damage-type matters" aspect has significantly increased my enjoyment of the pillars system. In poe1 it was like, who cares i'll just stick with this one weapon for the rest of the game that i'll just keep enchanting. In deadfire, it matters a lot more, and I find myself actually switching weapons based on tactical situations and even actually putting value on the "arms bearer" talent/ability, whereas in poe1 it was only useful to just fast-switch arquebuses at the start of a fight. I am all for this.

Edited by thelee

i vehemently detest how they handled class balance. Instead of buffing the weak classes up to t1 classes what we got instead of is myriad of builds getting destroyed because obsidian felt thats how they should balance. Fook that. People are already playing this game, you cant make this drastic changes mid-way. You want to increase difficulty, buff the weak classes to have their own niche, let every class "retain" their flavour. THEN you balance the Veteran & PotD. I agree, difficulty should be increased greatly, but you should do that on different medium. I am severely disappointed now, and very discouraged to even continue playing anymore. These guys removed the best aspect of multiclassing, creating unique builds. Now they all the classes i liked feel bland. Priest completely lost the reason i used them :Dire Blessing and Devotions of the faithful. Everything else she can do other classes do it much better. Her niche was her buffs that now you can easily live without. Monk is completely decimated, lost about 45% lash damage (15 from LS, 30 from TW) . I can go on. Every class had whatever made them strong taken away. 

I do not want to play bland classes, period. If you want me to deal with Monk's extremely high stat requirement(he literally needs every single stat), his need to take damage, and deal with his attention needs, he needs to give me something.This is a single player game. If you ruin people's fun in the name of balance you'll lose them. In first game classes felt bland, only at higher levels they became different enough from one another. Do not make the same mistake here. I finally was excited to create builds in this game, which you did not even let us have for more than a month. Revert class nerfs, buff weak classes further. Until then, i will never update this game.

ps: Again i should mention, i agree difficulty should be increased greatly and items should be nerfed. An item should not have more than 1 gimmick, and some had far too many affixes. Let them have no more than 1 major and 1 minor buff for the most powerful ones.

Edited by Fistanbey
  • Like 2