[1.1] What's the point of Brilliant Inspiration?

As far as I know only chanter was able to get it at pl7 (the only t3 inspiration you get this late?) but instead of reworking the tier 3 int, you just downgraded the spell. So now it's impossible to get this inspiration?

That expose a problem with the inspiration(and affliction) system, they are not really balanced and need some rework. The t3 INT (brilliant) is op, but a t3 dex is meh. Perhaps perception buff are in the middle?

example 'Deleterious Alacrity of Motion' wizard spell : getting a dot for the swift inspiration don't feel a good tradeoff. Perhaps rework swift to give some action speed, or add action speed to the spell.

But if it was brilliant for some dot, it would be a great bonus for a little tradeoff.

Insp/aff don't stack, don't upgrade and sometimes cancel each other (like rogue persistant distraction). I'm not 100% sure, but I think if you have quick for 20sec and cast another ability that give you quick for 6sec(perhaps included with other buffs), your quick inspiration get downgraded to 6sec instead of keeping the longer duration.

I just think the system could get some love to make it a bit more robust/balanced

• Like 4

I think you're on to something.

First time buffs should defensively add. If someone casts Fit on you for 10sec and right after your get another Fit for 6sec it should now be Fit for 16sec.

Now What I suggest is that it should also upgrade. So if you had Fit for 10s and then cast another Fit for 6s, you should now have Hardy for 6s and then Fit for 4s. That way it would make buff stack, upgrade and let you access the higher level Inspirations like Brilliant (getting 3x Smart or one Smart and one Acute)

First time buffs should defensively add. If someone casts Fit on you for 10sec and right after your get another Fit for 6sec it should now be Fit for 16sec.

Now What I suggest is that it should also upgrade. So if you had Fit for 10s and then cast another Fit for 6s, you should now have Hardy for 6s and then Fit for 4s. That way it would make buff stack, upgrade and let you access the higher level Inspirations like Brilliant (getting 3x Smart or one Smart and one Acute)

I agree, with one proviso: the same source of Inspiration shouldn't stack. If it did, and 1st level monk could immediately jump to Swift for 3 power, for instance. I think it'd be okay allowing two different sources to stack, however.

• Like 2

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

The current implementation is mostly good but yeah it needs a bit of further systematization. It's not just Brilliant that's missing; most of the top tier inspirations don't seem to be available in game for most parties. As it is now:

Energized: chanters get a self-buff. I think that's it. 

Robust: Druids get a PB AoE party buff; Ciphers and paladins get a single-target-ally buff; barbarians and paladins get a self-buff.

Intuitive: fighters get a self-buff.

Brilliant: Nobody gets it in any variation.

Courageous: Paladins get a self buff. 

So most top-tier buffs are self-only at best and it's really rare to have party AoE top tier inspirations -- Robust is really the only one, with Druids..

Which is just weird, especially considering how short the high-level powers list is.

What I'd suggest:

There are basically four party-buffing classes: Priests, Druids, Chanters, and (to a lesser extent) Ciphers. 

Priests already have mid-level party Strength and Resolution inspiration powers. Give them the ability to upgrade those powers, at high level, to top tier party Energized and Courageous inspirations. Maybe a single-target Robust too, since they have single-target Fit at lower levels.

Druids could get Robust, Energized, and maybe Intuitive.

Chanters could get Intuitive, Brilliant, and maybe Courageous. 

Let Ciphers have a party Brilliant and a party intuitive. 

That's just like a back-of-the-napkin spread but you get the basic idea -- spread the top tiers out over the classes, with some overlap, so you don't HAVE to take Chanters for Brilliant, etc. 

• Like 1

I agree, with one proviso: the same source of Inspiration shouldn't stack. If it did, and 1st level monk could immediately jump to Swift for 3 power, for instance. I think it'd be okay allowing two different sources to stack, however.

If you don't add the duration (just make it so the longer duration stay), I'm not sure it's OP to allow the monk to use 3 mortification for 10 sec of tier 3 dex inspiration. And that even give player more options on how he use his abilities. That would allow player different ways to get access to highter tier of inspiration.

Perhaps it could be applied to afflictions too, but it already upgrade on a critique.

The point isn't really that particular case (and yes, Swift is weak). Frenzy, or Disciplined Blows, or any of a whole bunch of other cases are all ways the others could apply. It's that you should probably need more than one low-PL ability to reach a tier 3 inspiration.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Deleterious Alacrity of Motion is pretty powerful...

It was powerful in Pillars.  It's not very powerful in Deadfire.  Dex inspirations in general are pretty weak.  +100% move speed doesn't really help much if you aren't actively moving around.

• Like 1

Little recall. Can be only have ONE inspiration. No stacking.

So a tiers 3 is the rolls royce of the game. The final step.

If 50 % of hit to crit was perhaps too large. 25 % is... OK. Personnally a number like 30 to 40 was perhaps better. (35 % ?)

You must sell a dream.

tiers 3 are not absolutely crazy actually...

Dexterity need to be :

Dexterity +5

+35 % crit to hit.

Immunity to engagement

With that Fleet feet is less attractive. And alacrity with a true superior version.

Edited by theBalthazar
  • Like 1

Or it could have come with a hefty reduction in recovery :p

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus