Why cant I tell Xoti/Teheku that the gods are fake?

I'm just curious if I'm missing a convo with Xoti/Teheku due to a bug, or if the devs just completely dropped the ball on this? To be honest, I’m really annoyed that the Gods being fake doesn’t come up more often in the story so I just wanna confirm that  I'm not missing stuff due to all the bugs. So far, the only time I remember seeing it as a convo option is with Bearn.  

In POE1 the Gods being fake seemed like such a big deal. Thaos spent thousands of years murdering countless people to keep this secret. Iovara chose to die and be trapped for eternity rather than denounce the truth. The Engwithans chose to die out so that the secret would die with them. But now that we discovered this fact, we just... don’t really do anything with it? At first I thought the lack of options to bring it up may be an import bug if you chose in the first game to keep it a secret. I thought we were intentionally keeping it quiet and only realized it wasn’t a bug when I saw it was an option in your convo with Bearn. (BTW for those that did pick it, do any of your new companions being it up after???)      

I guess you can argue that there is no good time to bring it up with the faction leaders (which IMO just reinforces how irrelevant and disconnected the bulk of the game is from the main story), but why can’t I have this discussion with Xoti/Teheku? Why am I doing Thaos’ dirty work for him by not telling every single person I meet on the streets? Why can’t I bring it up to the Roparu when their suffering is directly related to the idea that the Gods will send their soul up the social ladder?? Why isn’t Pallegina yelling about it from the rooftops? She hates the Gods, so I expected her to be extra bitter cuz they are just constructs made by arrogant mortals. Why did I never see an option to mention it to the animancers? 

It just seems like such a huge oversight to me because my Watcher planned to expose this secret. I remember in the first game there being an option where you can say that people deserve to know (or something similar). If the devs decided not to open that can of worms the least they could have done is given you the option to mention it a few times, and then have the Gods tell you to stop or they will smite you. It would have been better than the game treating it like it was nothing. 

Edited by Mari
  • Like 19

Yeah. This was a huge let down. I was expecting this would what the main quest would tackle, and while it sort of did, it was very very very unsatisfying. 

This was why I dragged Xoti along with me everywhere. After that event in the dig site where she tries to harvest souls but there are none because her god sucked them all up, I was like, "Oh yeah this is getting good, just you wait Xoti I am going to break your world!" 

But no, that never happened. 

I guess the Watcher just doesn't really care and in is the camp of, 'well they are effectively gods, so what's the big deal if they were manufactured?', as evidenced by them just chilling in their keep for 5 years after the big reveal. 

So basically the direction of this game kinda made POE's big reveal (which it failed at executing) pointless. Iovara died for nothing.

• Like 12

I'm gonna guess it's because conversations in games are usually designed so that the player is the one receiving new information, because reading things that are new to you is always going to be more interesting than things you already know. If you had the ability to teach everyone in the game that the gods are constructs, then you'd essentially be having very similar conversations frequently, and the only thing that would be new to you would be the character's reaction, which seems like a lot of work for little payoff. 

With characters like Xoti or Tekehu the payoff would be bigger because they're more important characters and because the gods are central to their identities, but still, that would be 2 conversations in which you are rehashing things that you as the player already know, and although you would learn things about your companions just from their reactions or questions, it still seems like it wouldn't be worth the resource investment. I wouldn't want to sacrifice one of the conversations we already have for one where you can break this news to people. 

I'm gonna guess it's because conversations in games are usually designed so that the player is the one receiving new information, because reading things that are new to you is always going to be more interesting than things you already know. If you had the ability to teach everyone in the game that the gods are constructs, then you'd essentially be having very similar conversations frequently, and the only thing that would be new to you would be the character's reaction, which seems like a lot of work for little payoff. 

With characters like Xoti or Tekehu the payoff would be bigger because they're more important characters and because the gods are central to their identities, but still, that would be 2 conversations in which you are rehashing things that you as the player already know, and although you would learn things about your companions just from their reactions or questions, it still seems like it wouldn't be worth the resource investment. I wouldn't want to sacrifice one of the conversations we already have for one where you can break this news to people. 

Or why not make Xoti's personal quest be about coming to grips with the realities of her god after she witnesses the devastation Gaun has caused? 

That would make the whole revealing things to her work in a way that would not devote huge time to implementing something that clearly makes sense to implement coming off from the first game. It would also make Xoti's quest line more interesting, and make the Watcher be more involved now that Xoti isn't robbing them of their soul collection duties. 

The Watcher is a very crappy Herald of Berath. They just ignore those little soul orbs for some reason. They just read the soul and don't bother guiding them to Wheel. What a lamer.

• Like 5

You know the funniest part? You can have a conversation about the gods not being real with Aloth while other party members are listening. They react to other parts of your conversation, but ingore this one. Better yet, at one point Eothas himself says that the gods are artificially created and used to be mortal Engwithans right to the party's faces. Aaaaand... nothing.

I can understand not being able to run around Neketaka telling everyone, people will probably think you are crazy anyway. But the way our companions just ignore Eothas dropping this info bomb seems like super lazy writing. 

• Like 18

Fake as in manufactured, but for all sakes and purposes, they are gods and it's not like you're going to go out there and right a wrong considering that the games never let you do anything about this info. 

And it's not much of a wrong you have to right considering that the Engwithans offed themselves to do it and not some other group of people. Which makes them pretty lame if you think about it. "Oh no there are no gods now we must commit mass suicide because, well just because."

It also makes Iovara a super lamer. Big whoop Iovara, just bow down to the new world order. You've already lost this fight and there is no way to win. At all.

• Like 1

I wondered about this as well. 

Every time a character brought up something being some sort of divine calling I wanted the option to point out that hey, that divinity they're so proud of worshiping was created by an ancient civilization that had felt sad one day. 

There was also a huge disconnect with me during the scene of confronting Eothas about what his plans are, that if you bring Xoti she fangirls over being in the presence of, and he flat out talks about being an Engwithan creation... but that got zero reaction from her.  

• Like 6

There was also a huge disconnect with me during the scene of confronting Eothas about what his plans are, that if you bring Xoti she fangirls over being in the presence of, and he flat out talks about being an Engwithan creation... but that got zero reaction from her.  

This is exactly what happened to me. I also had Tekehu in my party, which didn't help either. Maia and Serafen not reacting I can somewhat understand, half of POE1 companions didn't react to Iovara's words as well, but these two?

And while we are at it, I would appreciate an option to tell Tekehu about the fun I had drowning in Ionni Brathr because of his dearest mom.

• Like 1

My general outlook on this subject is kinda like one I remember from a YouTube video, I think it was actually Zero Punctuation for PoE1. It said something along the general outline of "Then there's the big reveal that the gods are "fake". But this didn't really resonate with me, as I had spent the last few hours running erands for the "fakes", met and conversed with them and confirmed they are very real and actually have godlike powers. If it walks like a duck & talks like a duck... What does it matter where they came from if they can still smite you out of existence?"

Imagine trying to tell people that their millenia-old religion is fake, with no empirical evidence. This hasn't even worked out that well IRL where there's no solid evidence for or against a higher power (not trying to start religious debate so let's not take this statement for more than it is). Now imagine how well it would go over vs a religion based on God-like entities that both factually exist, respond directly to their followers, and have powers equivalent to their titles. People are even born with flaming heads because of their existence! Even if the gods didn't just destroy your soul for threatening their power (if Ondra's willing to initiate a Moon Drop you know they're willing to off you for good) you'd get laughed out of every town you tried to tell people in.

Now I agree that it seems you should be able to tell your companions about it, if only to see their reactions. But again, telling people not to believe in gods that factually exist, have godlike powers, and can functionality control a beings' soul simply because they were made in a machine thousands of years ago seems to be missing the reality of life on Eora (during the time frame POE occurs in anyway).

Missed opportunity? Sure.

Are you really going to be able to change anything while they exist in the state they do? Not very likely.

• Like 8

My general outlook on this subject is kinda like one I remember from a YouTube video, I think it was actually Zero Punctuation for PoE1. It said something along the general outline of "Then there's the big reveal that the gods are "fake". But this didn't really resonate with me, as I had spent the last few hours running erands for the "fakes", met and conversed with them and confirmed they are very real and actually have godlike powers. If it walks like a duck & talks like a duck... What does it matter where they came from if they can still smite you out of existence?"

Imagine trying to tell people that their millenia-old religion is fake, with no empirical evidence. This hasn't even worked out that well IRL where there's no solid evidence for or against a higher power (not trying to start religious debate so let's not take this statement for more than it is). Now imagine how well it would go over vs a religion based on God-like entities that both factually exist, respond directly to their followers, and have powers equivalent to their titles. People are even born with flaming heads because of their existence! Even if the gods didn't just destroy your soul for threatening their power (if Ondra's willing to initiate a Moon Drop you know they're willing to off you for good) you'd get laughed out of every town you tried to tell people in.

Now I agree that it seems you should be able to tell your companions about it, if only to see their reactions. But again, telling people not to believe in gods that factually exist, have godlike powers, and can functionality control a beings' soul simply because they were made in a machine thousands of years ago seems to be missing the reality of life on Eora (during the time frame POE occurs in anyway).

Are you really going to be able to change anything while they exist in the state they do? Not very likely.

The only problem with this is "why does Leaden Key exist then?".

Edited by wRAR
  • Like 5

Anything related to companion convos and main story is generally lazy in this one.

It amazes me that I'm still having the same two convos with Eder 50 hrs into the game. Oh and the bane of my existence with Xoti - What are your thoughts on Eothos? Before or after the war? *****, THE VERSION THAT JUST GOT UP AND STARTED WRECKING ****!

Edited by Verde
  • Like 4

Maybe a distinction between 'fake' and 'manufactured' should be considered.

Sure, once upon a time, a bunch of people made some devices, that granted them god like powers.  Using it, they gained the ability to sway the world into worshipping them like gods, since they had the power to back up their claims, everyone bought in to it.  A few cults rose up, trying to erase evidence of their 'origin' and largely succeeded.

Enter Dreadfire, where this Watcher person shows up, claiming to be a Herald of one of the gods, while a giant glowing monster statue shows up, playing Godzilla to all the nice little towns it passes by.  The Watcher claims this person is one of the gods, and tries to do things to deal with this rogue god.

At what point would anyone really care that these beings are not the creators of everything, merely thousands of years old, beings with god like powers.  The difference might be of interest to academics, but to the average person, they probably don't care that this world destroying monster's origin story is different than what they were taught in Sunday School.

Saying, for eg. that Wael isn't really the god of secrets, he's just a super powerful, almost omnipotent being, in charge of / interested in secrets, with a religion / cult that worships him... just seems like a lame conversation.

• Like 3

At what point would anyone really care that these beings are not the creators of everything, merely thousands of years old, beings with god like powers.  The difference might be of interest to academics, but to the average person, they probably don't care that this world destroying monster's origin story is different than what they were taught in Sunday School.

Aloth and Eder both clearly cared in their conversation with Iovara, and Aloth isn't even religious. Hell, thousands of people that followed Iovara centuries back obviously cared enough to die for it. It's only natural to assume that the two most religious companions to whom gods are a very big deal, even on a personal level, would at least have something to say about it. It might not mean much to them in the end, but they can't just completely ignore it and pretend they didn't hear anything.

Though I'm having difficulties trying to imagine Tekehu just going "So this 'goddess' whose influence shaped my entire existence and caused the greatest dilemma of my life was actually created by mortals? Meh, who cares". I'd say it should be a very big deal in his internal conflict.

• Like 4

Yeah this annoyed me a lot. Like sure I get why you can't shout it from the rooftops constantly, who would believe you? I don't get why you can't tell specific NPC's though even if they may not believe you there are very few options to ever bring it up. I can tell xoti that pallegina is right about the gods but I can't tell her why I think that and it's framed as taking sides rather than stating a fact.

Parts of the roleplaying aspects of this game is built around whether or not you support the gods but not being able to bring up that very important fact removes a lot of the player's choice.

If they didn't want to deal with the telling people thing yet they could have just had berath threaten your life if you did or something?

• Like 9

When I say "fake" I don't mean that they aren't real or that people shouldn't believe they exist. I am not denying their existence, but I don't think people should be blindly worshipping something flawed just because its incredibly powerful. People should make their own choice about whether that duck is a duck or not.   

And it matters, at least to me and my Watcher, because their existence is a lie created to control people. All the death and suffering that was caused by them, and for what? Because a bunch of dudes had an existential crisis? Onda almost dropped a moon on Eora not because she is omniscient, but because she can only function within the confines of her programming. And now the world is overseen by constructs who embody the ideals of a bunch of arrogant **** from 2000 years ago? Of course their origins matter.   

And while not everyone would believe me, some people would. They believed Iovara. I also imagine a lot of the Roparu would be interested to know that their suffering was based on a lie. I'm sure the Godlike would like to know that the Gods just see them as batteries. Obviously, since its a game I cant change the world order, but I would have liked to change some small things at least. There should have been a way to start a small underground movement within the Roparu or something. 

Besides, if I wanted my Watcher to be the smelly hobo shouting doomsday at random people that should be my right as a player! But in seriousness, since you reminded me of the Moon thing, they could have solved this issue with an extra two lines of dialogue in that first convo with the Gods. The Gods can tell you that if you mention it to others they will drop a house on you. And it should have been another one of those End Game moments if you didnt listen to them. Again, it would have been better then the devs just acting like this info was no big deal.    

Edited by Mari
  • Like 5

It still doesn't make much sense as it isn't explained well. They are constructs or people ascended to Godhood? Do they feed or are they sustained? Why can't they do anything to Eothos?

Regardless of your take on fake, the overall point is, they are psuedo Gods that both affect and not affect the real world, but doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to when they choose to do so. Cool you threatened to pull down a moon (and essentially destroy the entire planet) and your second option is...send in a Watcher. Puny Gods.

When I say "fake" I don't mean that they aren't real or that people shouldn't believe they exist. I am not denying their existence, but I don't think people should be blindly worshipping something flawed just because its incredibly powerful. People should make their own choice about whether that duck is a duck or not.   

And it matters, at least to me and my Watcher, because their existence is a lie created to control people. All the death and suffering that was caused by them, and for what? Because a bunch of dudes had an existential crisis? Onda almost dropped a moon on Eora not because she is omniscient, but because she can only function within the confines of her programming. And now the world is overseen by constructs who embody the ideals of a bunch of arrogant **** from 2000 years ago? Of course their origins matter.   

And while not everyone would believe me, some people would. They believed Iovara. I also imagine a lot of the Roparu would be interested to know that their suffering was based on a lie. I'm sure the Godlike would like to know that the Gods just see them as batteries. Obviously, since its a game I cant change the world order, but I would have liked to change some small things at least. There should have been a way to start a small underground movement within the Roparu or something. 

Besides, if I wanted my Watcher to be the smelly hobo shouting doomsday at random people that should be my right as a player! But in seriousness, since you reminded me of the Moon thing, they could have solved this issue with an extra two lines of dialogue in that first convo with the Gods. The Gods can tell you that if you mention it to others they will drop a house on you. And it should have been another one of those End Game moments if you didnt listen to them. Again, it would have been better then the devs just acting like this info was no big deal.    

It's like Teal'c said in Stargate: "Power alone does not make one a god." Sure, in a direct sense of "when interacting with them" it might not make a bit of difference; one can effectively *treat* them as gods. But at the core, they are not "gods" but simply tools made by Kith hands for an *express* and *specific* purpose. That's what's important about it; not that they are not supernatural beings, but that they are objects created by Engwithans with the express purpose of guiding and controlling the development of society along Engwithan cultural lines.

Everybody that exists in Eora has been unknowingly limited in how they, and their society, can grow and develop because a bunch of **** thousands of years ago thought their society was the best and everybody else was a bunch of backwards fools. That's the important thing, IMHO.

• Like 4

The only problem with this is "why does Leaden Key exist then?".

Heh, now we're getting into problems I have with the general setting as it relates to the big reveal. The gods have already shown the willingness and ability to kill large #s of people to maintain power all by themselves. Why do they even need the Leaden Key?

They could just cause anyone who started researching Animancy to drop dead on the spot, or die in unfortunate "accidents". Then people would REALLY know the gods don't like it, and things would shut down fast.

In more of the vein of what I think you're asking; I'm not really even sure what purpose they serve in-universe other than for us to have a super-sneaky secret society to fight against in POE1. As mentioned, the gods could easily do it themselves. And while this may be due to them doing their job properly, I can't remember seeing the Key doing anything major (at least anything that worked) that Thaos didn't do himself.

Someone else mentioned Iovara's crusade I think, and my 2 takes on that are

1.) it was a different era, where worship of the created gods wasn't a worldwide cultural staple, so it was easier to convince people that "this may not be true!"

2.) Even then I don't really feel like it makes sense that it happened the way it did & became as big of a deal as it was. I'll bring it up again, the gods seem to be perfectly able to have caused Iovara to spontaneously combust at any moment. If they were that worried about her message, why didn't they? I also kinda bring up my original point that IDK why the masses would believe her when they can see the direct influence of the gods in the world, or pray to them & apparently get a response in some cases.

Like, I get that this was supposed to be a Big Deal, and it is at a basic level. But for all intents and purposes, whether they were there at the beginning of creation or not, there are now gods in Eora. They do godlike things, have godlike powers, and seemingly have a large measure of control over reincarnation. Why would you want to intentionally piss them off, even if you don't fervently worship them?

• Like 1

It's like Teal'c said in Stargate: "Power alone does not make one a god." Sure, in a direct sense of "when interacting with them" it might not make a bit of difference; one can effectively *treat* them as gods. But at the core, they are not "gods" but simply tools made by Kith hands for an *express* and *specific* purpose. That's what's important about it; not that they are not supernatural beings, but that they are objects created by Engwithans with the express purpose of guiding and controlling the development of society along Engwithan cultural lines.

Everybody that exists in Eora has been unknowingly limited in how they, and their society, can grow and develop because a bunch of **** thousands of years ago thought their society was the best and everybody else was a bunch of backwards fools. That's the important thing, IMHO.

I agree, they seem to have caused somewhat of a worldwide cultural homogenization. Yet the cultures are still relatively diverse, as we see in the faction war in Deadfire (and comparing Deadfire in general to Dyrwood). Eora in general doesn't seem any crappier than our world is, or at least was in a similar "timeframe". So it's not like the gods are having a huge negative effect on the world AS LONG AS you don't cross them.

So trying to convince people they should go against the gods sounds like bad advice, if anything.

IDK how to put the next thing I'm trying to say into words well, so I'll just throw it out there. It sucks that people have been worshiping giant amalgamations of a dead culture's souls for thousands of years and have to bow to the whims of beings we know are imperfect to the point of being downright petty and childish. But in Eora, these beings are demonstrably real, have nigh-omnipotent power over your life and soul, and don't like to be crossed. What options do people really have?

Edited by Seroster01

I'll bring it up again, the gods seem to be perfectly able to have caused Iovara to spontaneously combust at any moment. 

I don't think so. 

Galawain becames furious if you disable coral growth machine in Cignath Mor, and yet it seems he's powerless to stop or kill you on the spot.

• Like 4

I'll bring it up again, the gods seem to be perfectly able to have caused Iovara to spontaneously combust at any moment.

I don't think so.

Galawain becames furious if you disable coral growth machine in Cignath Mor, and yet it seems he's powerless to stop or kill you on the spot.

Then we get into inconsistencies in what the gods are capable of. At bare minimum, if Ondra can pull down a moon and/or keep you from splatting after a thousand ft. fall, the gods should at least be able to uproot & throw nearby rocks at your head hard enough to kill you.

This is all going to my basic issue with the gods in POE: inconsistencies in actions, abilities, scope, & motivations. We know they are capable of these things because they do/have done things in story that shows they're overwhelmingly powerful, but seem to do almost nothing proactively (expcept for Eothas.)

Edited by Seroster01

Well, a point could be made that moons are Ondra's domain and she holds power upon them; the other gods don't necessarily hold sway over rocks, for example.

Galawain commands beasts, and in fact he sends a kraken against you if you tick him off.

Based on my understanding, the gods exist in the beyond (or are they in the in-between?) and manifesting in the physical realm is something they aren't keen on doing for a variety of reasons. Berath explicitly says that mortal vessels are usually inadequate for carrying the amount of essence that constitutes a god, and things tend to go awry when they try to possess one as Waidwen exemplified.

It seems to me like direct intervention by the Engwithan gods is therefore an edge-case last resort—something that cost them a lot and is not guaranteed to grant them the result they want. Indirect intervention via their domain, on the other hand, is something they can do. Ondra can pull moons and see the sea at storm; Galawain can send feral beasts after you; Magran can make volcanoes erupt; Hylea can command pigeons to ****e all over the statue you've just sculpted; and so on, and so forth.

As for the Leaden Key, IIRC the first game explicitly traces its origins to the last few Engwithans left behind after the creation of gods, with the purpose of acting like missionaries who bring word of the gods to other people. After all, what use are the newly created gods if nobody knows of them? Granted, from our perspective, the logical thing to do would have been to disband once word of the gods had reached all kith and all eretics had been vanquished—BUT people don't always do the most logical thing, or even see it for what it is. Besides, if the gods have such a hard time manifesting in the physical realm, they might as well leave the Leaden Key to handle their monkey business.

On the other hand, a case could be made for the fact that the gods exist and don't owe their power to kith's belief (contrary to, say, the D&D gods.) Even if kith stopped worshiping them, so what? They wouldn't lose their power and they wouldn't cease to exist. Whether or not kith know their secret is largely inconsequential to them, which I reckon is why they have no qualms helping you defeat Thaos the moment he acts against their own interest (no matter how hard he's kept their secret throughout the years.)

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 3

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus