Obsidian: please put back the ability to change between POTD/veteran. My game is broken now.

I wrote yesterday that i was able to change the difficulty lvl of an existing game from POTD to veteran. I went back to the game and this feature was gone. Now im stuck on veteran and i need to start a new game if i want POTD.

I dont understand why that feature had to be removed. All players who posted said that it was a welcome change. Now that POTD is getting a lot more challenging, some players would like to be able to switch difficulty when things get frustrating.

• Like 1

I wrote yesterday that i was able to change the difficulty lvl of an existing game from POTD to veteran. I went back to the game and this feature was gone. Now im stuck on veteran and i need to start a new game if i want POTD.

I dont understand why that feature had to be removed. All players who posted said that it was a welcome change. Now that POTD is getting a lot more challenging, some players would like to be able to switch difficulty when things get frustrating.

If you're open to using the console, typing "Difficulty 2" will switch you back to Veteran. This will disable achievements for that save (if those are important to you), however.

Edited by Purudaya

the difficulty tuning for potd on the beta patch seems a bit over tuned. I honestly cant fatham how anyone is expected to fight 6 pigs and a fire dragon near the start of the game.

Yeah, for sure. But take the Titan fight at Poko Kohara for instance- near the end of the beta they beefed up the difficulty tremendously, then lowered it again for release. IIRC, the balancing workflow tends to be to make things too hard first, then tune down from there.

Hopefully, they keep PoTD very challenging, but evening out some of the more extreme difficulty spikes wouldn't be unwelcome

Without giving to much away, it could of honestly been my group classes making things harder on me. I had a Paladin, Rogue, Priest and it was on the way down to get the Mage where it seemed extreme. I was able to stealth past open the pillar which in turn killed everything outside. Im not sure if that was an intended feature but it makes the nasty dragon go away lol.

the difficulty tuning for potd on the beta patch seems a bit over tuned. I honestly cant fatham how anyone is expected to fight 6 pigs and a fire dragon near the start of the game.

It's finally a challenge, and this is great. There are five difficulty levels, the highest one should definitely err on the side of too difficult, and vice versa for story mode. If they make POTD too difficult for me, I'll happily play Veteran knowing that the option is out there.

• Like 4

It's finally a challenge, and this is great. There are five difficulty levels, the highest one should definitely err on the side of too difficult, and vice versa for story mode. If they make POTD too difficult for me, I'll happily play Veteran knowing that the option is out there.

I totally agree with this, but wouldn't it be good to be able to change from Veteran to PotD if the late game becomes easier? That happns in PoE1 and many people are worried about the same thing in Deadfire.

• Like 2

sign.jpg

I gree with you but currently the game seems to be going from cakewalk (veteran) to frustratingly hard. Id like to have something in between :-)

Guest 4ward

i‘d prefer if the patch 1.2 would deal with quest bugs and technical issues while the ‚difficulty tuning patch‘ would be separate. In addition, i‘d really like it if i could decide which changes i‘d take, e.g. ‚Increase enemy number – yes/no‘ - ‚Weaker empower – yes/no‘ - ‚Ability xyz change – yes/no‘… so kind of finetune it yourself, decide in which way you want difficulty be adjusted. Ideally you could also revert a change later, if you find that e.g. you want to go back to how many enemies you faced before.

i‘d prefer if the patch 1.2 would deal with quest bugs and technical issues while the ‚difficulty tuning patch‘ would be separate. In addition, i‘d really like it if i could decide which changes i‘d take, e.g. ‚Increase enemy number – yes/no‘ - ‚Weaker empower – yes/no‘ - ‚Ability xyz change – yes/no‘… so kind of finetune it yourself, decide in which way you want difficulty be adjusted. Ideally you could also revert a change later, if you find that e.g. you want to go back to how many enemies you faced before.

The way to do this shoud be with options in the game, not by allowing the players to select which patch they want. There can be only one latest game version, not several.

What you want will probably be achievable with mods. This is the most realistic possibility.

I don't understand the difficulty setting for PoTD at all, Eder is getting one shot by a single skeleton pistoleers in the starter area ffs (and mouse over stats do not match this amount of damage ??? ... tweak the game difficulty by all means, but be transparent with your changes... have the mouse over update to show those changes ) Things like Nature's Mark (eg) also seem to be totally inconsistent with ability description: should last 42 secs "with int modifier" , but is lasting anything from 18.9 secs to 50.4 secs when applied to the same group of npcs, each mob is getting a different time? As for technical issues, seriously the character getting stuck and unable to move is still there after the beta patch. At present, I'm still enjoying my Troubador Lifegiver run with the beta patch... but no beta patch will fix the main story, sorry.

Edited by Wompoo

Things like Nature's Mark (eg) also seem to be totally inconsistent with ability description: should last 42 secs "with int modifier" , but is lasting anything from 18.9 secs to 50.4 secs when applied to the same group of npcs, each mob is getting a different time? 

Durations gets changed by Resolve on NPCs, explaining why NPCs might have a duration more or less than duration on skill description. In addition, additional effects can graze and crit, reducing/increasing the durations relative to standard hit.

I don't understand the difficulty setting for PoTD at all, Eder is getting one shot by a single skeleton pistoleers in the starter area ffs (and mouse over stats do not match this amount of damage ??? ... tweak the game difficulty by all means, but be transparent with your changes... have the mouse over update to show those changes ) 

No idea what is up with that... I haven't found any inconsistencies with indicated damage rolls and actual health removed. 

Things like Nature's Mark (eg) also seem to be totally inconsistent with ability description: should last 42 secs "with int modifier" , but is lasting anything from 18.9 secs to 50.4 secs when applied to the same group of npcs, each mob is getting a different time? 

Durations gets changed by Resolve on NPCs, explaining why NPCs might have a duration more or less than duration on skill description. In addition, additional effects can graze and crit, reducing/increasing the durations relative to standard hit.

I don't understand the difficulty setting for PoTD at all, Eder is getting one shot by a single skeleton pistoleers in the starter area ffs (and mouse over stats do not match this amount of damage ??? ... tweak the game difficulty by all means, but be transparent with your changes... have the mouse over update to show those changes ) 

No idea what is up with that... I haven't found any inconsistencies with indicated damage rolls and actual health removed. 

Regarding different duration for the application of an AoE spell like Nature's Mark, holding shift over the respective entries in the combat log should give that information in detail. Please note that for AoEs, you have to expand the main entry to see how it's resolved individually.

the_ultimate.png

Done with Moon Godlike Wizard

Exactly, POTD is looking to be a touch too hard for myself. However I think it might be perfect with Blessings of Berath.

This is nice. More options for customizing the challenge.

Guest 4ward

The way to do this shoud be with options in the game, not by allowing the players to select which patch they want. There can be only one latest game version, not several.

What you want will probably be achievable with mods. This is the most realistic possibility.

i like the idea of potd having options. I‘m not a fan of adding even more enemies but i‘m all for reducing the impact of empower and abilities, so it would be cool to have toggles for that.

i like the idea of potd having options. I‘m not a fan of adding even more enemies but i‘m all for reducing the impact of empower and abilities, so it would be cool to have toggles for that.

I am fan of toggles too. For example I would want to have an option to get more enemies without their stats buffed as in PoTD.

With Icewind Dale there was this Heart of Fury mode which meant you'll have more enemies, they will be ridiculously buffed and the player will get much more experience for killing them, leading to the game possibly becoming easier in the later stages than the normal mode. Beamdog introduced more options later and players are now able to select only what they want.

Maybe Josh Sawyer doesn't want to introduce many toggles - either because he is trying to nail that perfect gameplay or out of fear that they'll end up supporting several game modes. That's why I think modding is our best chance.

Berath's blessings and Magran Fires are probably going to give us nice additional customizability though.

Edited by wih

I do like idea of PotD being riddiculus, for those who beat the game, know the encounters/builds/mechanics.

I dont mind that, i would just like to be able to switch between ridiculous and veteran when i get tired of reloading multiple time for all fights.

• Like 2

I do like idea of PotD being riddiculus, for those who beat the game, know the encounters/builds/mechanics.

I dont mind that, i would just like to be able to switch between ridiculous and veteran when i get tired of reloading multiple time for all fights.

Same here. I want to play Veteran first, with a good challenge. Then I'll try PotD, hoping for a greater challenge, but if it gets impossible I'd rather change to Veteran than abandon the game.

Imo, a really difficult PotD would be perfect for a third playthrough, with a combination of Magran's fires and Berath's blessings that suited my tastes and maybe a full custom party with some nice builds.

sign.jpg