What do you want to see in the franchise

Two Handed Weapons DO have higher PEN and base dmg than one handed while they have the same speed as the heavier one handers (sabre, sword, spear, mace, hammer, axe). If you look at some of the dps comparison sheets or posts you can see that they are in a pretty good spot. One handed single weapon use is the loser, not 2H.

I don't agree with most of above, but I agree that too many active abilities can be bad. First of all they make the fights harder to manage. But that's not my problem with them. My problem is with actives of classes with fixed resource pools (Fighter, Rogue, Ranger, Barb) is that usually there are clear winners in terms of what do I get for x resource points". And since all actives compete for resource points you end up using those winners only anyway. If not: taking too many actives is a trap choice. More passives for those classes and only a few great actives (that are truly differentiated - see Disciplined Strike and Mule Kick) would be nice.

The resource pool system leads to the opposite of PoE where fighters, rogues, barbs and rangers wanted to take as many active abilities as possible because it added per-encouter uses. I like the pool system better, but it has to be tweaked more.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I hope they'd stamp out the plague of endless fine/superb/etc weapons in Deadfire but that never happened. Enchantment is an annoying one, why does my character just somehow know how to do all this enchanting? There should be a specific person who can do this, or you have to find the formula to do it from a quest/dungeon? You know.. have it behind some gameplay instead of a menu.

nowt

A prequel, set 2000 years prior to the PoE timeline, and you play as an Engwithan some years before the creation of the gods. 

Given one of the possible outcomes of PoE2, I don't think a PoE3 should happen. (Then again, one of the PoE1 endings had several characters being mentioned living, and dying, far off into the future...).

Much better optimization, (no more memory leaks, etc.); they should just stray away from Unity altogether. This is honestly almost a deal breaker atm, a game that would be a solid 8.5 is dragged down to a 7 in my book because of technical issues and bugs.

Stronger and longer main campaign that demands a lot of player urgency, with a much better antagonist. Preferably with an epic multi encounter showdown, a-la Irenicus. 

More aesthetically pleasing companions and less emphasis on the whole liberal SJ agenda. Not a single beautiful female companion is available in the entire series, and i'm sure it's no accident. Also, if you are gonna do romances, do them right, not this half arsed ****. I can still remember touching moments from when i romanced Viconia or Jaheira, 18 years ago, yet i just finished Deadfire campaign and i don't recall a single thing about the Xoti romance.

The game's strong suits are: exceptional character building depth with endless options, and very solid itemization. However, both these aspects are somewhat wasted on lackluster encounter design and low difficulty threshold. We basically have a Ferrari at our disposal, but we can only drive it in an alleyway. This is an area where DoS2 shines and maybe Obsidian can take a page from their book, especially now that they implemented Turn Based Mode.

More attention to minutiae. I read a post recently about a guy who complained that a blind NPC in Deadfire has line of sight when you stealth. Boeroer immediately dismissed it as trivial and not worth the devs hassle to change it. I completely disagree. These are tiny wondrous moments that, if done right, can change your entire experience about the game, and you see plenty of them in DoS2 or Witcher 3, not so much in Deadfire. 

More memorable music score. Even now, almost 20 years after BG2 release, whenever i hear the SoA main theme, i'm immediately transported in the Forgotten Realms universe, it just fills my soul with pure joy. And that's just one of the countless exceptional tracks from that game. This one, for example

part of the epilogue, where you can see the fate of every NPC after you parted ways, still brings tears to my eyes.

With the exception of a pleasing tavern song in Deadfire, nothing even came remotely close to offering me a catharsis effect or lingering in my head.

Much better optimization, (no more memory leaks, etc.); they should just stray away from Unity altogether. This is honestly almost a deal breaker atm, a game that would be a solid 8.5 is dragged down to a 7 in my book because of technical issues and bugs.

I'm sure they would love to roll their own engine if they could, but it seems like basically a financial non-starter for any non-AAA-producing studio. edit - realize you didn't necessarily mean their own custom engine. Yeah - I don't know the gaming landscape for engines that well, but it seems like some problems are just endemic to Unity (in PoE1 the increasingly long save/load times, huge patch sizes; in Deadfire, extremely inefficient performance even on powerhouse machines). But I mean, I'm pretty sure they're doing cost-benefit analyses and Unity keeps winning (for now).

More aesthetically pleasing companions and less emphasis on the whole liberal SJ agenda. Not a single beautiful female companion is available in the entire series, and i'm sure it's no accident.

...wow. I think this is way more a reflection of you than anything else.

Also, if you are gonna do romances, do them right, not this half arsed ****.

This is why Outer Worlds is not doing romances at all simply because given finite time they'd rather spend it on gameplay for everyone rather than deeply involved romances.

I can still remember touching moments from when i romanced Viconia or Jaheira, 18 years ago, yet i just finished Deadfire campaign and i don't recall a single thing about the Xoti romance.

Not directly to your point, but:

Two things BG2 did right about romances: a) unique romance music, so you basically had a big audio cue of HAY WE'RE HAVING A ROMANCE DIALOGUE. b) LOTS of romance dialogue.

One thing that BG2 did wrong: a) LOTS of romance dialogue. Was great for a completionist playing the first time, but on successive runs I had to use console commands to manually advance the romance, simply because I'd be playing through the game too quickly. Jaheira was particularly bad about this because there were so many forced waits in between dialogue that were only ticked off with actual played time not in-game (who thought this was a good idea??).

W.R.T. Deadfire, I agree that they are romances that basically aren't. You get like a special dialogue when you hit max companion affinity and... that's it. I mean, granted I skim, but with every companion I'm kind of surprised by how sudden it starts and how it basically never comes up again once we're a "thing." I think this is kind of like the ship combat mini-game. IT was promised or players demanded it, but they really couldn't spare the time to do it right. Probably would have been better to not do it at all.

More attention to minutiae. I read a post recently about a guy who complained that a blind NPC in Deadfire has line of sight when you stealth. Boeroer immediately dismissed it as trivial and not worth the devs hassle to change it. I completely disagree. These are tiny wondrous moments that, if done right, can change your entire experience about the game, and you see plenty of them in DoS2 or Witcher 3, not so much in Deadfire.

I think this is just the reality of being a small independent studio. There are some nice touches here and there, but they're not going to have the resources and time to do the environmental storytelling of a Bethesda game (I remember in Oblivion there was an NPC with a daily schedule where they would leave their house at night after their wife joined them in bed to go to another house to sleep with the woman there, a clear sign of prolonged infidelity. Probably like .01% of players ever noticed this neat little detail, and only a super well-funded AAA game from a larger studio has the resources to blow designer/engineering time to support this little detail). Don't get me wrong, I would love more "delightful surprises" but I'm also being realistic here.

More memorable music score. Even now, almost 20 years after BG2 release, whenever i hear the SoA main theme, i'm immediately transported in the Forgotten Realms universe, it just fills my soul with pure joy. And that's just one of the countless exceptional tracks from that game. This one, for example

part of the epilogue, where you can see the fate of every NPC after you parted ways, still brings tears to my eyes.

With the exception of a pleasing tavern song in Deadfire, nothing even came remotely close to offering me a catharsis effect or lingering in my head.

Re: BG2 I submit there's a lot of nostalgia at play here. There's taste also, since I truly think Deadfire's music is exceptional -- I actually found PoE1 to be kind of derivative and forgettable (except for the combat music which I heard a bajillion times so I can never forget it--and neither can my wife), and the only music about Deadfire I dislike is music that was imported directly from Deadfire. But I think claims about how BG2 or some other classic game did it better have to be couched in the context that htey are likely heavily influenced by nostalgia or worse: being played in an especially formative time of one's life.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 1

Two Handed Weapons DO have higher PEN and base dmg than one handed while they have the same speed as the heavier one handers (sabre, sword, spear, mace, hammer, axe). If you look at some of the dps comparison sheets or posts you can see that they are in a pretty good spot. One handed single weapon use is the loser, not 2H.

I don't agree with most of above, but I agree that too many active abilities can be bad. First of all they make the fights harder to manage. But that's not my problem with them. My problem is with actives of classes with fixed resource pools (Fighter, Rogue, Ranger, Barb) is that usually there are clear winners in terms of what do I get for x resource points". And since all actives compete for resource points you end up using those winners only anyway. If not: taking too many actives is a trap choice. More passives for those classes and only a few great actives (that are truly differentiated - see Disciplined Strike and Mule Kick) would be nice.

The resource pool system leads to the opposite of PoE where fighters, rogues, barbs and rangers wanted to take as many active abilities as possible because it added per-encouter uses. I like the pool system better, but it has to be tweaked more.

Well, I did say that I might be in the minority.  That said, I stand by most of what I said.  

I would prefer to see generic items limited to a max enchantment of Fine.  I would prefer to see much better drop of plain ol' money rather than this silly inflation of Exceptional and Superb generic items.

I would prefer to see a big change in Wizards and the Wizard subclasses.  The existing wizard subclasses are stale as thousand year old bread.

I would prefer to see the remove of "no subclass" as an option in each class, and create a generalist subclass that takes the place of "no subclass".  It just silly sounding to say that a generic Ranger or Fighter is a "No Subclass" Ranger or Fighter.  Just create a damned name for each generalist subclass.  Maybe Armsman for generalist fighter.  Mage for Wizard.  And so on.

To be quite honest, I greatly prefer what I suggested above to the current state of PoE2's mechanics.  I prefer non-spellcasting classes to be less dependent on active abilities. Too many active abilities force too damned much micromanagement when you're playing a party.  And I ALWAYS play a full party.  

I agree that there can be an overload of active abilities for non-spellcasters.  Frankly, I think that a good number of the current active abilities could be turned into passive abilities.  Hell, some already really are passive, despite being on the active side of the selection pages, such as the Fighter stances or the Paladin Zealous Auras.  And I see no reason why the Ranger Twin Shot couldn't just be a passive with a to-hit penalty to pay for taking two shots at once.    And so on and so on.

It may sound like I don't like PoE2.  I enjoy the story, I suppose.  And I enjoy playing this sort of 3rd person fantasy game.  I'm not particularly fond of the details of the combat system in either PoE1 or PoE2.  It seems to me that they fixed some things I didn't like in PoE1 (the silly weapon prof groups) but then introduced many things that I didn't like (too many active abilities for non-spellcasters, for example).  I preferred the greater reliance on more passive abilities in PoE1 over PoE2's over reliance on active abilities for non-spellcasters.

I could go on and on, but I don't want to write up a massive wall of text, so I'll end this here.  

Speak for yourselves. I enjoy lots of actives. I hardly ever use some of my mage spells but the 1 to 2 times per play through is worth more than a million passives that dont do interesting sht. Plus, it leaves the option open to use the spell for the f of it. I do this a lot.

Plus, passives in this game are lame af. Percentage increases or plus one to something. Passives found in diablo 3 are good examples of interesting passives that impaxt your char in noticable ways. Alter specific skills, timed effects etc.

Do people seriously want 1 spell per level? Maybe the real question is Do people seriously cast one spell every time?

Speak for yourselves. I enjoy lots of actives. I hardly ever use some of my mage spells but the 1 to 2 times per play through is worth more than a million passives that dont do interesting sht. Plus, it leaves the option open to use the spell for the f of it. I do this a lot.

Plus, passives in this game are lame af. Percentage increases or plus one to something. Passives found in diablo 3 are good examples of interesting passives that impaxt your char in noticable ways. Alter specific skills, timed effects etc.

Do people seriously want 1 spell per level? Maybe the real question is Do people seriously cast one spell every time?

You're being disingenuous.  I was talking about non-spellcasters.  I fully expect spellcasters to have lots of actives, because it's the nature of being a spellcaster.

Oh, some other things that I'd like to see, that I suspect people would like...

Increase the number of playable sub-races.  While I'm not a huge fan of playing god-likes myself (hate giving up the hat/helmet slot), it grinds my gears to see these other GL subraces not being available for player use.  I'd also like to see at least a third playable sub-race for dwarves, elves, orlans, and aumaua. 

At this moment, I have to admit that I have no serious ideas for what they might be, but it shouldn't be THAT difficult to come up with them.  For example, part of me would like to see the third orlan sub-race be used to explain why some orlans have that outlandish green or blue fur.  And perhaps a third race of elves could be some sort of sea elf, though to be honest, if such a sea elven sub race did exist, they probably would have been perfect for Deadfire.  I suppose that an underground sub-race of elves might be possible, but it might risk being too much like D&D's dark elves.  Anyways, this is just a passing thought.

Also, I'd like to see more Backgrounds (i.e. aristocrat, artist, raider, etc.) added to the mix.  I'd also like to see the Cultures increased to include not only Old Vailia, but the Vailian Republics and perhaps even Dyrwood and Readceras.  

Anyways, these are minor things, but don't seem like they should be that difficult and would add a little more diversity to character creation.

Instead of a main quest with many sidequest, it might be interesting to have just a main quest that is highly developed. Everything happens within the main quest. Companion quests lines etc. There can be major branches in story depending on previous choices. Basically all the cool stuff we already know and love but with more time to implement them because less is spent on side quests.

Maybe you just dislike rpgs

• Like 1

Suspect few will agree with me, but I’d like merchants to be consolidated so that once you’ve visited one, you can buy their items at any other merchant. There are so many merchants selling unique items who are scattered all over the place in Deadfire. Trying to keep track of who is selling what, then travelling around to buy stuff, is a tedious pain in the arse. It may not be realistic but so what, you shouldn’t have to rely on a wiki to figure out where to buy items.

Yes, It's a horrible idea

If an Item is good enough to purchase, It's probably good enough to remember

Stronger and longer main campaign that demands a lot of player urgency, with a much better antagonist. Preferably with an epic multi encounter showdown, a-la Irenicus. 

More aesthetically pleasing companions and less emphasis on the whole liberal SJ agenda. Not a single beautiful female companion is available in the entire series, and i'm sure it's no accident. Also, if you are gonna do romances, do them right, not this half arsed ****. I can still remember touching moments from when i romanced Viconia or Jaheira, 18 years ago, yet i just finished Deadfire campaign and i don't recall a single thing about the Xoti romance.

The game's strong suits are: exceptional character building depth with endless options, and very solid itemization. However, both these aspects are somewhat wasted on lackluster encounter design and low difficulty threshold. We basically have a Ferrari at our disposal, but we can only drive it in an alleyway. This is an area where DoS2 shines and maybe Obsidian can take a page from their book, especially now that they implemented Turn Based Mode.

Except Jaheira (In fact most bg characters) and romance subplots were cringy.

Funny that you mention a game with terrible itemization after talking about deadfire's. Most d:os 2 'encounters' are just initially invisible enemies popping up to ambush you.

Difficulty in deadfire has been fine since the rebalance patches from last summer, have you tried not playing on story mode, PotD, various challenges, megabosses and even solo? 

Encounter design overall is fine too, even great in DLCs, especially in SSS and forgotten sanctum.

Deadfire also does pay attention to small details. Following your example, eotens have double vision cones in stealh mode and various wisps and elementals have weirdly shaped ones

Your only valid criticism is about the OST, yes they should hire a proper composer for the OST and let Justin Bell do rest of the general audio design.

Edited by Ormag
  • Like 1

snip

off-topic but your name is displayed as "Ormag�den" (with a question mark/broken unicode codepoint) and it actually breaks my forum notifications (it doesn't render at all). way to troll the board with your user name :)

• Like 1

snip

off-topic but your name is displayed as "Ormag�den" (with a question mark/broken unicode codepoint) and it actually breaks my forum notifications (it doesn't render at all). way to troll the board with your user name :)

ümlaüts are 2 hard I guess

Except Jaheira (In fact most bg characters) and romance subplots were cringy.

Funny that you mention a game with terrible itemization after talking about deadfire's. Most d:os 2 'encounters' are just initially invisible enemies popping up to ambush you.

Difficulty in deadfire has been fine since the rebalance patches from last summer, have you tried not playing on story mode, PotD, various challenges, megabosses and even solo? 

Encounter design overall is fine too, even great in DLCs, especially in SSS and forgotten sanctum.

Deadfire also does pay attention to small details. Following your example, eotens have double vision cones in stealh mode and various wisps and elementals have weirdly shaped ones

Your only valid criticism is about the OST, yes they should hire a proper composer for the OST and let Justin Bell do rest of the general audio design.

I remember Viconia romance to be quite compelling, in got me very invested in her character, to the point where i experienced great sadness in her epilogue where she gets assassinated. But, to be fair, i was 14 and quite impressionable at the time. I felt nothing for any character in Deadfire towards the end, although i did somewhat relate with Tekehu's inner struggle.

Yes, DoS2 has terrible itemization that suffers from power creep, but that (and inventory management) are the only aspects where it's inferior to Deadfire. The encounter designs are incredible, what are you talking about. Nothing comes even remotely close in Deadfire to the Alexander fight at the end of chapter 1, or the slime fight in the Blackpits, or the Aeteran. And yes, i just finished Deadfire on POTD all upscaled + 5 Magran's Challenges, completed all content including the megabosses. The encounters you praise are very gimmicky, there's no deep complex strategy involved in beating them. For example Doru, looks insane on paper, but all you need to do is equip a monk with Kitchen Stove and Nemnok's Cloak, then just spawn Souls while shooting and dodging his fireballs, for 30 minutes straight, until you gather enough Resonance. Insanely tedious. Anyway, bar this megaboss, I found myself succeeding by doing the EXACT same sequence of actions with all my 5 characters in every other "difficult" challenge, the only variations were to occasionally switch to different weapon set or using different aoe damage spell if enemies were resistant to my default ones. Contrast that to DoS2 where you have to be very mindful of all your characters and enemies positioning, attempt to gain highground advantage with your archers, be cognizant of the elements on the battlefield and what combinations you can use or the enemy can use to trigger them, also the initiative order and so on. It really puts your brain to use, instead of autopiloting every encounter.

More aesthetically pleasing companions and less emphasis on the whole liberal SJ agenda. Not a single beautiful female companion is available in the entire series, and i'm sure it's no accident.

...wow. I think this is way more a reflection of you than anything else.

I may be viewed as shallow, but i will not gonna apologize for my extremely common genetic predisposition, which is being most attracted to gorgeous women. The fact that the game designers made a conscious choice to completely exclude this very popular real world female characteristic and inherent archetypes (such as the seductress) from their game should raise some question marks regarding their agenda. 

I can still remember touching moments from when i romanced Viconia or Jaheira, 18 years ago, yet i just finished Deadfire campaign and i don't recall a single thing about the Xoti romance.

Not directly to your point, but:

Two things BG2 did right about romances: a) unique romance music, so you basically had a big audio cue of HAY WE'RE HAVING A ROMANCE DIALOGUE. b) LOTS of romance dialogue.

One thing that BG2 did wrong: a) LOTS of romance dialogue. Was great for a completionist playing the first time, but on successive runs I had to use console commands to manually advance the romance, simply because I'd be playing through the game too quickly. Jaheira was particularly bad about this because there were so many forced waits in between dialogue that were only ticked off with actual played time not in-game (who thought this was a good idea??).

I never had a problem with them on subsequent playthroughs, could always re immerse myself in that context.

W.R.T. Deadfire, I agree that they are romances that basically aren't. You get like a special dialogue when you hit max companion affinity and... that's it. I mean, granted I skim, but with every companion I'm kind of surprised by how sudden it starts and how it basically never comes up again once we're a "thing." I think this is kind of like the ship combat mini-game. IT was promised or players demanded it, but they really couldn't spare the time to do it right. Probably would have been better to not do it at all.

Couldn't agree more.

Re: BG2 I submit there's a lot of nostalgia at play here. There's taste also, since I truly think Deadfire's music is exceptional -- I actually found PoE1 to be kind of derivative and forgettable (except for the combat music which I heard a bajillion times so I can never forget it--and neither can my wife), and the only music about Deadfire I dislike is music that was imported directly from Deadfire. But I think claims about how BG2 or some other classic game did it better have to be couched in the context that htey are likely heavily influenced by nostalgia or worse: being played in an especially formative time of one's life.

I admit that there might be some nostalgia at play, but only partially. Because, when i recently played DoS2 or Witcher 3, i completely stopped what i was doing when a great tune started, and just sat there to completely take it in. I was gripped by their beauty. Here are a couple of examples:

Suspect few will agree with me, but I’d like merchants to be consolidated so that once you’ve visited one, you can buy their items at any other merchant. There are so many merchants selling unique items who are scattered all over the place in Deadfire. Trying to keep track of who is selling what, then travelling around to buy stuff, is a tedious pain in the arse. It may not be realistic but so what, you shouldn’t have to rely on a wiki to figure out where to buy items.

Yes, It's a horrible idea

If an Item is good enough to purchase, It's probably good enough to remember

Well this is just a nonsensical non-argument. There are loads of unique items scattered around which you might want to buy but can't afford. If you enjoy keeping track of that type of thing, you must have a high tolerance for tedium.

I know that I don't agree with you.  Yes, it's a bit of a pain, but I like that pain because the idea of a "consolidated" merchant sounds so damned silly to me.

It's not unprecedented. See the Normandy store on ME3, where you could buy items from all other stores at a mark-up.

Edited by Rooksx

It's not unprecedented. See the Normandy store on ME3, where you could buy items from all other stores at a mark-up.

In a world of long and frequent load times, such a store would be a god-send.

But it is reasonable to say that it is not immersive. Frankly it can hollow out the game if done poorly. Sometimes the fun is in the journey ("flavor" of going to areas/stores) rather than the destination (the "practical result" of paying money to get an item). That is to say, ME3 is a pretty different game than Deadfire.

• Like 1

Well this is just a nonsensical non-argument. There are loads of unique items scattered around which you might want to buy but can't afford. If you enjoy keeping track of that type of thing, you must have a high tolerance for tedium.

It wasn't really an argument, because that suggestion was so ridiculous there's no discussion to be had.

You could always stop playing videogames If basic gameplay is tedious for you.

Doubt devs are going to sacrifice world building and believeability for the convenience of a few players who have poor memory. Your best bet would be to make your own 'awesome merchant' mod with every item in the game and upload it to steam workshop 

Edited by Ormag

@AlexDeLarge

I am gonna say the DOS2 combat is fun, but in no way as fun as Deadfire, or as interesting, or as challenging I rarely ever reloaded on DOS2 battles ... I have said this before but DOS2 reminds me of a Marvel Super Heroes game, if you like to fly around and shoot laser beams, then you like Marvel characters - or for you maybe its some weird comic like Alt-Hero?  I prefer Japanese comics myself.

I do like DOS2 - not so sure ... but I think Pathfinder would be closer to DOS2 combat if they went turn-based.  What catches me about Deadfire is how much certain encounter can push the limits of your party ... of course you disagree as you already stated, but maybe can agree to disagree.

Also the SJ hidden agenda comment lol ... well watch out for the facts man, one day they will come back to haunt you ...

Edited by bringingyouthefuture
  • Like 2

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

@AlexDeLarge yes I played it on the most difficult if that is what Tactician means : )  And I played with the NPCs, I forget if you can create a whole entire custom party.

I haven't played the Definitive Edition, and not sure I will, I mean I was already deep into POE2 and now I can't stop playing Pathfinder ugh!!  But after I plan to explore POE2 more with the God challenges so I don't think I will get back to DOS2 - I mean I already did much of everything you could with the DOS2 story, unless they add new content.  Can we talk about the DOS2 ending for example - I mean all video game endings upset me, I swear but DOS2 really upset me.  The most positive thing about DOS2 - the whole first chapter!!!  It was amazing.

So don't get me wrong I love DOS2 combat, I have this conversation a bunch with people.  It is just kind of silly for me compared to POE2, and kind of like Pathfinder, it gets very formulaic for me.  We sound like we are just having very different experiences with games.  So not saying your experience isn't valid - and maybe since DOS2 is so popular maybe the mainstream - but I don't find that to be the case.  POE2 is definitely more difficult in terms of combat than DOS2.

edit:  I should say varied, challenging, inspirational and fun etc

Edited by bringingyouthefuture
  • Like 1

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

@bringingyouthefuture

Don't get me wrong, despite all i've written here that might make me sound like a DoS fanboy claiming superiority over Pillars, i actually enjoy playing Pillars more. The universe Obsidian built is more realistic and relatable than Rivellon (even though the detail with which Larian crafted their world is remarcable, i keep getting this feeling of inauthenticity, like it's not genuine), also i enjoy playing with a class system more than classless, even if both games are objectively great in their delivery. Finally, having to constantly change most of your gear every single time you level up can become a major drag. And who could forget the fine art of thievery, where you have to use one character to distract the target, 2 other characters to distract other targets to prevent their line of sight, then use the final one to steal and then dump all the stolen gear in a dropped backpack so you won't be revealed as the thief. That's a really fun process. So yeah, even though the game is objectively amazing, can even call it a masterpiece, i found to be forcing myself to continue playing it on several occasions, if only because the combat and C&C quests were worth doing so.

But why did DOS2 ending upset you, bro? I thought it had a very cool twist, and, depending on your choice, you fight two different battles. Compare that to my Deadfire experience, i didn't even actually get to see the Guardian of Ukaizo, because of a deal i made with some dragon previously, and then my final discussion with Eothas offers nothing that i didn't already know when i initially met him in Hasongo. Talk about anti climactic.