What do you want to see in the franchise

I’d love the ice wind dale style game that was discussed in a reddit thread awhile back (a thread that the devs said they were watching very closely). Heavy party building, combat and dungeon crawling focus. Living lands or white that wends could work well for this style of game!

• Like 1

- chanter should have its own grimoire. there are so many creatures in eora.

Eh? What do you mean?

remove figurines (is too OP)

Did you realize they all have charges?

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

God-titan boxing. You get to make your own god titan by either serving some already existing god or making a god of your own.

Then you have the option to challenge the other gods to boxing matches.

Other adventurers who have their own agenda and goals, actively roam the world and affect things.

It would be cool to find priest, chanter, druid and wizard spells from the world. Let's say you visit an old abandoned church full of ghost monks and zombie priests, destroy them all and from the library of the church find a priest spell that you can then learn as usable skill.

For what do you linger here?

I’d love the ice wind dale style game that was discussed in a reddit thread awhile back (a thread that the devs said they were watching very closely). Heavy party building, combat and dungeon crawling focus. Living lands or white that wends could work well for this style of game!

That might be interesting, but I sort of expect that experience will show that the games with companions/sidekicks (i.e. the BG series and the PoE series) have been more popular than those without them (i.e. the IWD series).  Mind you, I loved the IWD games very much.  But one of the gripes that I had the about the IWD games was that they were sooooo damned linear.  From a designer's PoV, that may be good for balancing the game since you'd know pretty well exactly how far the player's party would have advanced XP and level wise.  But from a replayability PoV, it seems to me that the linear style makes things a little more boring.  With the more open world, non-linear style like PoE1&2, the game can progress in many possible directions, though eventually you do have to head back to certain common main storyline quests.  And this seems to me to create more replayability because each playthru can feel a little different if you do things in a different order.

I'm not sure if there's any way to merge the two concepts.

Regardless, I would not suggest using the White that Wends.  It would seem far, far too much like the Icewind Dale area from that series, not to mention The White March area from PoE1.  Too much snow and whiteness.  I think that the Living Lands, from what I've read about it, sounds a lot more interesting with its great variety.  It might also be interesting if it was possible to visit a few different regions in the process of your explorations and dungeon crawls/raids.

- less bugs

- remove figurines (is too OP) /s

- improve proc mechanics. learn from out action RPG or dota

- slow time feature instead of pause

Figurines are op? They are more a decoy in the beginning of the fight, because there is no casting time, but the most of them, lack on damage and durability (Siren has the highest i guess).

- less bugs

- remove figurines (is too OP) /s

- improve proc mechanics. learn from out action RPG or dota

- slow time feature instead of pause

In all honesty, Archaven, I'd rather see grimoires removed entirely.  The mechanic is just not intuitive to me.  I'd rather see Wizards be like Priests and Druids, in that they'd learn whatever spells are available as they level up, and have X number of spell castings at each spell level and character level to cast.

As for figurines, if you think they're too OP, then simply don't use them.  I rarely use them, mostly because I forget to do so, but when I *do* remember to use them, I want to have the option to do so.

As for pause, sorry, but I like real time with pause as is.

===

One thing that I'd like to see is rather minor seeming, but I think of fairly great important because it affects all combat situations.  And that's a super clear description of how -XX% recovery time bonuses affect the base recovery time of an armor.  Personally, if the bonus is "-10%" and the base armor recovery penalty is, say, 35%, I'd like that to mean that the modified armor recovery is not 35-10=25%.  Nice and simple, and not requiring any complex math for the average player to go through.

Grimiores are fine. They fit the wizard theme as in spells are learned rather than granted. Removing them not only takes away uniqueness but takes away what already fits their class.

The Grimoires sure don't feel unique. And not being able to scribe them makes zero sense. Aloth and Fas both have personal grimoires...at some point they created them...so why can't they modify them? A wizard making it a habit out of using randomly found grimoires is silly and goes against the theme of students of arcane knowledge. Like you can't scribe your own grimoire but you can come across a lich's grimoire and instantly slot it?

But we know the real reason is gameplay focused, and from that perspective, the lack of customization fails.

Edited by Verde

Suspect few will agree with me, but I’d like merchants to be consolidated so that once you’ve visited one, you can buy their items at any other merchant. There are so many merchants selling unique items who are scattered all over the place in Deadfire. Trying to keep track of who is selling what, then travelling around to buy stuff, is a tedious pain in the arse. It may not be realistic but so what, you shouldn’t have to rely on a wiki to figure out where to buy items.

• Like 2

It be like you finding Aristotle's book and trying to make changes to it while keeping the message intact. Youd simply f it up. Instead, Youve happened upon someone elses work, comprehend what theyve written and are now putting it to use. Seems fine.

Theres nothing unwizardly or unscholarly about using books you find randomly. In fact id say its quite the opposite. Youd desire every bit of arcane knowledge you could find and put it to use whether you created it or not. Very wizardly if you ask me.

There is no customization but the uniqness is there. Compared to every other class they are special in how they obtain extra spells or abilities. They get grim choices and make do with that grim offers.

Id actually argue that being able to select your own spells for your grimiores would be worse. Its stupid. It be the same as selecting a spell from the level up screen. You might as well skip the grimore and give wizards an extra choice each level. Total customization of grimiores adds nothing to the game.

Edited by asnjas
  • Like 1

Suspect few will agree with me, but I’d like merchants to be consolidated so that once you’ve visited one, you can buy their items at any other merchant. There are so many merchants selling unique items who are scattered all over the place in Deadfire. Trying to keep track of who is selling what, then travelling around to buy stuff, is a tedious pain in the arse. It may not be realistic but so what, you shouldn’t have to rely on a wiki to figure out where to buy items.

It could be a "ship upgrade" that would let you have a special merchant on board and he would sell you things from other merchants. Maybe with increased prices.

sign.jpg

It could be a "ship upgrade" that would let you have a special merchant on board and he would sell you things from other merchants. Maybe with increased prices.

Yeah like in Mass Effect 3, where you could do all shopping from the Normandy but at inflated prices.

Perhaps a kind of full out war between 2 cities but with several major players in the war that have their own agendas and trying to come out on top in different ways. The tides of the war would change the world map in different ways depending on which nation controls what, or has swayed which group. The two cities/nations and you yourself, will affect the world either through the front lines and/or through assassinations or schemes from the dark. There could be two or more end-game bosses, of which one will become your antagonist, and perhaps other ones who can't reveal their true identity in order to benefit when the war comes to an end, or to play both sides. I like games in which the story affects the gameplay itself, such as antagonists stealing your powers, not just some story power such as only your soul or whatever but also a game ability you could otherwise use, and games that uses your choices against yourself like infiltrating your party. Well, just an idea, I don't think I'm an awesome author of stories, I just like total mayhem and hidden agendas and backstabbery.

Also, for the love of god please support real-time-with-pause in future games.

Edited by beatspores

Perhaps a kind of full out war between 2 cities but with several major players in the war that have their own agendas and trying to come out on top in different ways. The tides of the war would change the world map in different ways depending on which nation controls what, or has swayed which group. The two cities/nations and you yourself, will affect the world either through the front lines and/or through assassinations or schemes from the dark. There could be two or more end-game bosses, of which one will become your antagonist, and perhaps other ones who can't reveal their true identity in order to benefit when the war comes to an end, or to play both sides. I like games in which the story affects the gameplay itself, such as antagonists stealing your powers, not just some story power such as only your soul or whatever but also a game ability you could otherwise use, and games that uses your choices against yourself like infiltrating your party. Well, just an idea, I don't think I'm an awesome author of stories, I just like total mayhem and hidden agendas and backstabbery.

Also, for the love of god please support real-time-with-pause in future games.

Agree 1000000%.  While I haven't seen anything like a full battle, I have watched some how-to videos on turn based, and for the life of me, I don't see what the appeal is.  It looks so damned boring watching a "battle" (yes, note the quotes) that stops and starts and stops and starts so freaking constantly.  I like the flow of RTwP vastly better.  I only pause when necessary and battles have some actual flow to them.

• Like 2

I know that I don't agree with you.  Yes, it's a bit of a pain, but I like that pain because the idea of a "consolidated" merchant sounds so damned silly to me.

• Like 1

There are soooooo many things that I'd like to see, but here's a few to start with.

1. I'd like them to stop with the exceptional and superb generic weapons, shields, and armors.  To me, those generic high grade items seem "unrealistic" (yeah, I know that it's fantasy, but bear with me).  I just don't see magical blacksmiths and armorers mass producing such high grade items.  To me, if they were making items of that quality, they'd be a lot more unique and rare, i.e. the unique named weapons, shields, and armors.  Also, I realize that they're a great source of money for the players, but I'd rather see more actual cash get found instead of the unreality of so many super high grade generic items.

1a. Regarding unique weapons, shields, and armors, I personally wouldn't mind if enchantment upgrades went away, but I suspect that I'm probably in the minority on that.  One thing that I hate is these upgrades that depend on ingredients that are rare, because rare ingredients only serve to make me become super hesitant to upgrade anything that requires rare ingredients, and frankly, that's no damned fun.  I'd honestly rather have more high grade unique items in the game without any enchantment upgrades, than to put up with the annoyance of these upgrades, particularly those that require the rare ingredients.

2. Again, I'm probably going to be in the minority on this, but I haven't enjoyed all these damned active abilities in POE2 for all the classes.  To me, they're just a pain in the behind.  I prefer things to be more mindlessly point and shoot, so to speak.  I'd like to see more class related passive abilities, and fewer class related actives.

3. Weapon proficiencies.  I liked that they got rid of the weapon prof groups.  Those were silly, IMO.  What I didn't like with the weapon profs in POE2 was those silly special abilities.  What I'd rather see is that taking a weapon proficiency gave the user something like a +10% damage and perhaps +1 penetration with weapons of that type.  I might even go so far as to allow a player to take a second proficiency in the same weapon.  So maybe give 10% extra damage for the first proficiency and +1 penetration for the second point.  Or possibly +5 to-hit with the first prof point and +1 pen on the second prof point.  And what they heck, maybe have allow a 3rd proficiency point that gives an additional benefit ( bonus to-hit, damage, or penetration, whichever wasn't tied to the first two prof points, or possibly a bonus hit-to-crit chance.)  

If you think about it, it seems to me that allowing multiple prof points into a weapon type would really be good for someone wanting to specialize in a certain weapon, particularly Devoted fighters, or characters who want to specialize in a particular ranged weapon or 2.  After all, let's say that you're Maia, you might specialize in Arquebuses and some other ranged weapon, and because you don't take a penalty to wield non-proficient weapons, she might not worry about taking a proficiency in a melee weapon, or maybe just one or 2.

I'd also remove the weapon specialization and mastery passives for fighters as they currently are, and let the taking of 1 and 2 proficiency points in a weapon do the same thing, but for all classes.

4. Two handed melee weapons.  I think that they need a little help.  2H weapons just don't seem up to snuff compared to dual wielding.  Or even weapon and shield uses.  The advantages of 2H weapons just don't see good enough for the cost in reduced recovery speed and striking power.  Arguably, perhaps they should have more penetration than 1H melee weapons, due to their greater weight.

5.  I'd like to see the Wizard subclasses handled VERY differently.  I've gone over this a few times in other threads, and won't repeat myself too much.  But this is a quick outline of what I'd like to see.

a. A generalist wizard subclass that was the equivalent of a "no-subclass" wizard, perhaps called a Mage.  He's have access to all of the spells, and possibly gain a benefit of additional Arcana skill, since the Mage would be considered more learned than the more specialized subclasses.

b. A "spellsword" subclass that would specialize in offensive and defensive spells that allowed them to act as physical combatants.  These spells would include things like mirror image and iron skin for defense, and summoned weapon spells for their weapons, and other spells that increase their martial ability.

c. An "elementalist" subclass that would specialize in spells based on the elements, i.e. fire, water, wind, lightning, cold, but not acid/corrode.  I could see this subclass gaining access to certain elemental druidic spells.

d. A "necromancer" subclass that would specialize in death magics.  This would include acid and corrode damage as well as poison and disease, and outright death or disintegration spells.  

Note that it's possible that there might be some overlapping of spells between the subclass, like I could see the necromancer gaining access to the level 1 parasitic staff spell.

5a. I would love to see Wizards changed in other ways not related to subclasses as well.  For starters, dump the grimoires. And simply allow/require Wizards to memorize their selection of spells, same as for priests and druids.  And the only way that they could cast spells that they haven't memorized would be from scrolls.

6. Ranger.  Reduce the importance of the animal companion.  There are too many abilities related to the A/C.  First, I'd love it if the A/C was a selectable ability at creation, so basically you'd have rangers with A/Cs and rangers without them.  But to allow for rangers that operate without A/Cs there have to be enough abilities that aren't related to having an A/C, whether it's an ability to buff the A/C or enhance the relationship between the ranger and the A/C.  

Secondly, I really dislike the Sharpshooter subclass as is.  In particular, I don't really like the recovery time and deflection penalties.  I'd rather see them not be allowed to take weapon proficiencies in melee weapons.  And possibly give them a deflection penalty for melee combat only, and heck, perhaps a to-hit penalty with melee weapons, something alone the lines of -5 melee deflection and -5 melee weapon to-hit penalty.  But these guys should be hell on wheels with ranged weapons, and shouldn't really take a recovery penalty when using said ranged weapons.

Third, I'd like to see a Melee Ranger subclass where the benefits weren't centered around the presence of an A/C.  And perhaps make it sort of a reverse mirror image of the Sharpshooter.  No weapon profs in ranged weapons allowed, and a focus on melee combat.  Maybe a -5 to-hit with ranged weapons, and a -5 or -10% reduction in ranged weapon damage.  It might be nice if Stalkers gained access to sneak attack damage bonuses as one way to enhance their melee ability without making them look too much like fighters.

Dang, I'm going on and on and on.  Sorry for the wall of text, so I'll stop here.  Later all.

• Like 1