Spiritual New Vegas Sequel Set in Fargo's Wasteland

Vargr

I made a quick search, and found no mention of anything like this. Maybe I just suck at searching.

Either way;

Since it's pretty certain Bethesda won't let Obsidian make another Fallout, and since Fallout isn't really Fallout anyway under Bethesda, in my opinion, why not just collaborate with InXile to make Wasteland the new Fallout, the way it should be?

Make a New Vegas spiritual successor and set it in the Wasteland franchise. New Vegas had a lot of Wasteland-ness to it already.

Thoughts?

I don’t think it is possible to catch a lightening in the bottle twice. I think Deadfire is a New Vegas sprititual successor, and it just doesn’t work as well as it did the first time around.

I think that a lot of appeal of Fallout isn’t in Wasteland - yes, both are post apocalyptic wasteland settings, but a lot of charm of fallout comes from its interest in society, satire, humour and retro sf feel. Playing Wasteland2 felt different. What I am trying to say is: I feel like themes and world of Wasteland is different enough, to not really be a good candidate for a Fallout knockoff. I would be greatly disappointed with Wasteland2 if I expected it to be a fallout game, but I enjoyed it as it’s own thing.

The PoE&Tyranny releases felt a bit too safe for me - not that they were not ambitious, but appeal of Obsidian games was always the creativity and originality. Deadfire feels almost... formulaic. We have seen those ideas before, and unfortunately in many cases - done better. Better dungeons, better faction system, better companions, better crit path. While there are some games I would like to see sprititual successors too (like Alpha Protocol) I feel NV is too good to be repeated. Unique mechanics, coming together with a unique setting and story.

Hoping that the secret project will be the fresh new idea, we are waiting for.

• Like 1

That could work . But ,rumour is mr Cain and mr Boyarsky are are allready working on "Fallout" like game . ;)

They've purposely tried to deny any connection (literal or spiritual) to Fallout. The 'Fallout-likeness' is fan wishful thinking.

• Like 1

I think the a post-apoc games need to cool off a bit. If Obsidian's next project is in any way post-apoc wasteland I will be disappointed. Reboot of civilization? Maybe I could get into that.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Wasteland 2 is already the best Fallout game to emerge since... well since. 

I liked it for that reason; but I actually thought it was a shame that it was not really more like it's own series than Fallout. Of course Fallout was inspired by Wasteland, but WL2 is a sequel that could easily pass as a sequel to Fallout 2—with minor alterations... but it's almost nothing like Wasteland itself.

Edited by Gizmo
  • Like 1

Maybe if you refer to Fallout Tactics, otherwise not so much.

The best Fallout game award since then goes to... UnderRail

Maybe if you refer to Fallout Tactics, otherwise not so much.

The best Fallout game award since then goes to... UnderRail

That's certainly possible—but I have never played UnderRail.

I would also have said, Arcanum, as far as principles go.