So far I've only spent money on food/drinks for the crew. Think I've got like 120k and feel like I should spend them, but I also don't feel like I really need anything.

Any vendors with particularily good gear worthy of my money? Should I buy a new ship?

You don't acutally NEED to buy a better ship, you can finish the game with the Ghost Ship.  That said, getting a larger capacity ship earlier can get you more slots, for more crew, to level them up... which doesn't actually mean anything anyway.

Gatecrashers (Nekata) are probably the best Gauntlets in the game, for a melee character.

Dragons Dowry, SpearCaster (Nekata) are probably the best range weapons (If you don't want to use the bugged Frostseeker of OP ness).

Theres a Light armor in the Narrows (The guy with the medicine) which is worth using at the End game..

I'm sure there a few other 'best' items which come from vendors, but they'd be for pretty specific builds.

The funny thing again is that Burglar's Gloves (Ilfran's Rainments) and Thief's Putty are the best investments at start + dumping all points into mechanics on one toon and 1 point each on all other party members. That way when you land in Nekataka you can open every lvl14 mechanics chest at the vendors and get all the best items (Devil of C Breastplate/ Attack buckler) immediately. 

The funny thing again is that Burglar's Gloves (Ilfran's Rainments) and Thief's Putty are the best investments at start + dumping all points into mechanics on one toon and 1 point each on all other party members. That way when you land in Nekataka you can open every lvl14 mechanics chest at the vendors and get all the best items (Devil of C Breastplate/ Attack buckler) immediately. 

most of the chest are heavily guarded. you must have very high stealth or im wondering if you can distract them with sparkcracker before opening the chest though.

you can apparently "distract" npcs while talking to them. don't know if it is a bug or a feature but if say character a talks to an npc, character b the mechanics/stealther has a small fraction of a second to open the chest after the conversation. at 10 stealth that worked even at Uto's (the hardest in terms of positioning for the steal).

you can apparently "distract" npcs while talking to them. don't know if it is a bug or a feature but if say character a talks to an npc, character b the mechanics/stealther has a small fraction of a second to open the chest after the conversation. at 10 stealth that worked even at Uto's (the hardest in terms of positioning for the steal).

definitely a bug that i read somewhere

You don't really need big amounts of stealth, as you can just unlock the container in plain sight, then get out of the detection circle, stealth, maybe throw a sparkcracker, rush the chest. As long as the second (red) circle is not full when you are in the distance to open the chest, the game will pause and you can loot freely.

Alternatively, leap does not break stealth so if you have the boots of leap or a barbarian, you can jump in in stealth from across the room, land next to the chest and loot it.

Dhow + upgrades could make world travel faster.

There is several vendors with good items, but it is individual, what we need.

Upgrading legendary equipment is always good thing to do.

There are some food and druigs which may be worth using more often, just to make combat quicker.

Orlan's Head and Hookers.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Thanks guys! Playing a Mindstalker (Rogue/Beguiler) at level 14. Still not sure which items are BiS for me though.. Changing around pretty liberally, but don't know what to commit to and enchant. Any recommendations? Best weapons, armor?

Thanks guys! Playing a Mindstalker (Rogue/Beguiler) at level 14. Still not sure which items are BiS for me though.. Changing around pretty liberally, but don't know what to commit to and enchant. Any recommendations? Best weapons, armor?

Best armors for a beguiler would probably be Miscreant Leathers and Devil of Caroc.

I think the best thing to spend money on first is

1) Figure out *exactly* what your endgame weapons are going to be

2) get them raised to legendary.

That will give added penetration, damage, accuracy, etc., and probably make more difference in combat than anything else you can do. 

That said it's going to be expensive so pick as many top tier legendary weapons as you can to begin with first.

I think the best thing to spend money on first is

1) Figure out *exactly* what your endgame weapons are going to be

2) get them raised to legendary.

That will give added penetration, damage, accuracy, etc., and probably make more difference in combat than anything else you can do. 

That said it's going to be expensive so pick as many top tier legendary weapons as you can to begin with first.

Well, the thing to spend your money on first is all the skill trainers.  But I assume that a 14th-level character has already done that. 

Well, the thing to spend your money on first is all the skill trainers.  But I assume that a 14th-level character has already done that. 

Eh, I generally avoid those due to the problems with respecs. Most checks are generous enough that you don't really need that extra point, not if you plan your party out for good party assist bonuses.

gonna disagree on the how best to spend money issue. alternative:

buy a junk.  outfit with long guns and double bronzers. then sail to ports for best crew while exploring the map and eradicating any and all named vessels. doing as we suggest will not result in net gain o' money, but it will level you quick, very quick, and provide the player with potential overwhelming early gear. after you explore ever square inch o' ocean for explore bonus, kill all foes for bounty rewards and ship combat xp, then maybe sell off a few o' those superb weapon drops to access upgrade skill trainers or buy other gear.  heck, you can stop on largely unpopulated islands with battlefields and burial mounds and ruined towers to add stuff like spyglass, dragon pendants and grimoires to your stash.  

best initial use o' money?  at first opportunity, buy a junk and then reduce non merchant population o' deadfire waters to 0.  wanna save money and cheese the system? save-scum 'fore checking shipwrecks and you will be able to get all the long gun cannons you need. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps am agreeing with enoch regarding trainer usefulness.  our gear selection frequent revolves 'round skill points as 'posed to combat efficacy.  no matter how you work party assist, there is a few player only checks, and am not liking to have to wait for a level up, or two, or three, to reach threshold for skill checks.  how many total points is avialable from trainers?  is gotta be at least three or four leveling opportunities worth, yes?  good money spent.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

And how is a new player getting 60k+ gold for a Junk in the first place? You're telling them to spend money so they can sink ships for items to sell for money

review.  initial poster had 120k and nothing to spend 'pon.  even so, a starting berath's blessing character will have over 55k. for non berath's blessing, is not difficult to do port maje and the non-combat stuff at neketaka for the 54k one needs to purchase a junk.  

so yeah, save every copper to purchase a junk which one may outfit with cannons for gratis by save-scum shipwrecks.  then go on a rampage 'cross the deadfire and kill and 1007 your way to relative invincibility faster than it takes to say, "why didn't i listen to Gromnir and buy a junk asap?"

HA! Good Fun!

ps can do same with a dhow for 31.5k, but requires considerable more effort. is worth the money to go junk.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Gromnir, can you share how you outfitted your ship? You said you used both long guns and double bronzers. I've used either/or but not both on the same ship. Did you mix them on the same side or use one type on each side? How did it work?

Gromnir, can you share how you outfitted your ship? You said you used both long guns and double bronzers. I've used either/or but not both on the same ship. Did you mix them on the same side or use one type on each side? How did it work?

long guns one side and double bronzers the other.  could go all double bronzers, but am liking longs to disable sails as early as possible.  still, two salvos from a junk with all double bronzers will sink everything.  

HA! Good Fun!