Deadfire...in spaaaaaaaaace?

Mallard

Sci-fi missed out on the isometric RTwP games of the late 90s/early 2000s. I know we have Fallout and KOTOR and Mass Effect, but I'm talking specifically about isometric RTwP games like Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale/PST.

A sci-fi (rather than post-apoc) setting: traversing the stars in your own starship, exploring new planets on a galaxy map, beaming down to the surface with an away team...

I would love to see Obsidian try their hand at this -- using all the lessons they learned from managing a vessel in this game, we could get a Baldur's Gate-style version of Mass Effect or Star Trek/Wars/Craft. :lol:

• Like 14

I liked the starcraft II campaign maps where you ran around with 2 or so npcs and had banter and fun interaction with people. I could totally see an entire RPG with great characters like Raynor, Sarah, Tychus, Zeratul etc. in isometric style. It could be super rad!

Edited by TheisEjsing
  • Like 6

Sounds interesting. The combat will have to make tactical use of the terrain though. Cover and suppressing fire should be essential. This is rather different than what we have in PoE.

Edited by wih

Not a bad idea. There is very few Space Opera crpg. With fantasy, postapo and even cyberpunk being represented.

There is a challenge in finding best gameplay. Should it be like Mass Effect, like Dawn of War, or like Shadowrun Returns.

No idea which one would be most popular.

And what universe would players care about. StarWars, WH40K or Mass Effect, probably yes. But there is a lot risk with new IP.

Edited by evilcat
  • Like 1

We've got lots of hints about the gods and their realms - these just neat to be inflated by x100 each, and add a few cool dimensions, and we have a winner, no?

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Imagine a Spelljammer-like Pillars of Eternity among the stars and the gods! Count me in!! :yes:

... I honestly don't trust Obsidian to do not!Spelljammer right. I don't see "aggressively wacky" as being in their wheelhouse.

Like ... Obsidian comes up with a lot of clever ideas, but I don't think they would ever come up with scro. It's the wrong kind of clever.

• Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

I'd like to see a trilogy that follows reincarnations across centuries and goes Fantasy Western > Fantasy Near-Future > Space Fantasy. After Deadfire's ending I don't think there's much left for the watcher to do and would like to see the watcher retire instead of getting knocked back to lvl 1 again.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

SPURACCCEEEYYYYYY

Okay so seriously, an isometric space RPG would be cool.  I am sure someone has already done it, but Obsidian hasn't. Maybe something sort of like mass effect only more classic.  Maybe do something like "The Mandate" tried to do before they effectively ran out of funding and went out of business.

• Like 2

Anyone here played "Stasis"? It's an isometric sci-fi game, but no real time combat. I havent played it yet, but maybe it's how a game like this would look like.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/380150/STASIS/

Meh, it is a point and click horror adventure game that just happens to be isometric.  Also you appear to wear no clothes which is kind of annoying to me.  I would like to see something in space that isn't horror based, cause that is getting a little old.

• Like 1

Anyone here played "Stasis"? It's an isometric sci-fi game, but no real time combat. I havent played it yet, but maybe it's how a game like this would look like.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/380150/STASIS/

Meh, it is a point and click horror adventure game that just happens to be isometric.  Also you appear to wear no clothes which is kind of annoying to me.  I would like to see something in space that isn't horror based, cause that is getting a little old.

Oh, ok. In this case I agree, it shouldn't be like that.

sign.jpg

I expected some mastercrafted theory like "Engwithans are secretly aliens", you really dissapointed me.

You did know Engwithans are aliens, right?

Hmm, the miniature giant space piglet that followed us around in PoE1 does lend credence to what you say.

• Like 1

Thread moved since its not about Deadfire to a more appropriate forum.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'd love to see a proper Hard Sci Fi RPG. But alas there just isn't the market for this... one day I shall learn to program, do art, make music and create my own!

I can do the danish translation for the 1 million words then. I'm sure the 5 danish fans will jump with joy.

• Like 1