It seems like everyone only gives feedback about POTD.

I really want some kind of challenge, but real life (50-60h job) just doesn't allow me to try each important fight 3-4 times. 

Was veteran difficulty improved as well? Or is it just harder due to nerfs?

Any impressions?

• Like 1

I'm playing on Veteran now. I'm still at the beginning, but I'll share my impressions here later.

I'm about to do two battles that are considered very difficult in PotD now. They should give a good impression about Veteran.

Thank you! I can't play for the next 3 days, so I'm grateful to see some impressions.

So, from what I got from this thread: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/101501-beta-patch-11-important-changes/, there are two battles in the beginning that are very difficult on PotD, depending on you party composition

1: Panthers and Drakes on the Engwithan ruins

2: Gorecci Street "of doom"

The second one is actually considered impossible by some people, unless you hire a fifth character or skip it with stealth and come back later.

I fought the first at level 3 with Eder and Xoti. There was one enemy with two skulls and maybe one or another with one. My watcher is a singleclass assassin and I concentrated on the young drake with an arquebus.

For the second battle I had Aloth too and I was level 4. One enemy had 1 skull (a wizard).

For me, on Veteran, they were challenging and I had to pay attention to the health levels and choose my abilities carefully. I used a potion once and the gaun ring, but nobody died. I think it's fine for a first playthrough since people playing on PotD are saying that sometimes they have to reload and I don't want that much challenge until I play for a second time.

I'll probably try these battles in PotD later because if I make a comparison I can provide better information for other people here. Maybe I'm too bad and Veteran is easy... Who knows? But I did finished a PoE1 PotD game last week and the only battle I found decently difficult (after early-midgame, when I was still learning the best strategies) was the last one. So I don't think I'm that bad. :p

Someone reported that with the beta patch you can change scaling and PotD mid game.

I can't do that. It says that it can't be changed.

sign.jpg

I'm playing on Veteran now. I'm still at the beginning, but I'll share my impressions here later.

I'm about to do two battles that are considered very difficult in PotD now. They should give a good impression about Veteran.

It's not really accurate judging the difficulty in the first half of a game let alone the start (lol)

Games on higher difficulties have always traditionally been decently balanced at the start and even the first half/early game, but it's the majority of the game especially mid-end that it starts to lose its balance and goes back to becoming an OP faceroll.

It's like most devs balance the early game then get lazy, or want to save the time and resources on doing it fully/properly.

Come mid game you generally have better gear, more combat choices, are alot stronger and so again it goes back to becoming a faceroll later in the game. Hopefully level scaling helps that, this time around, as well as actually balancing the game mid-end too.

So reporting in on difficulty at the start of the game isn't helpful usually, fyi.

Edited by whiskiz
  • Like 1

Someone reported that with the beta patch you can change scaling and PotD mid game.

Ok, Nvmind then. I am trying to find thread I read it in. Can't locate it. I probably should have taken my medicine. 

It seems like you cannot change to PotD from Veteran, but it does seem like you can change level scaling. I started with level scaling set to all, but I can change it to off or critical path only in game. I haven't tested whether this actually has an effect, though. I might do so at a later stage. At the very least, the level indicators for quests and enemies whilst using level scaling has been fixed!

As to the difficulty level of PoTD and Veteran. I've played the starter island on both difficulties, pre- and post patch. Both difficulties have been increased, quite tremendously, for the starter island. On PoTD, it is necessary to employ additional measures to finish the island, such as hiring a merc (cipher), or some other (such as specific use of Berath's blessings, buying specific scrolls etc.) After finishing the island on PoTD, I restarted on Veteran as the difficulty of PoTD for the starter island was slightly above with what I feel comfortable - I like it to be difficult enough to warrant a reload and change of tactics upon party wipe, but not enough to respec/hire additional party members and tailor my party for the difficult encounters. The increased Veteran difficulty, for the starter island, hits this sweet spot - difficult enough that careful thinking is necessary and use of consumables are generally required (depending on MC build), but not so crazy as to require meta knowledge and whatnot. In this regard, the Veteran and PoTD difficulties satisfy their respective niches.

As to the difficulty beyond the starter island - we'll see. I have strong doubts, as the XP gain on the starter island already felt quite large (and unchanged from the previous build). Therefore I expect a massive XP bloat again during/after Neketaka, and unless (i) level scaling is well-implemented (probably not) or (ii) you do the least amount of side-quests required, I expect the rest of the game will again start becoming much easier.

That said, based on their work on the starter island (as a result of feedback from the community) I have hope that they can use these changes as a template for most portions of the rest of the game.

• Like 2

Thank you Ezekiel! What you say about veteran is exactly what I want - being encouraged to use consumables and all other previously underused aspects of the game, but without being forced to use cheese, meta-knowledge, or extremely min-maxed hirelings. Reload orgies, strictly following a certain order of quests or returning much later also takes out the immersion for me.

I do share your concerns about later levels, however. A pity we can't change the difficulty later...

Edited by Tomice

Thank you Ezekiel! What you say about veteran is exactly what I want - being encouraged to use consumables and all other previously underused aspects of the game, but without being forced to use cheese, meta-knowledge, or extremely min-maxed hirelings. Reload orgies, strictly following a certain order of quests or returning much later also takes out the immersion for me.

I do share your concerns about later levels, however. A pity we can't change the difficulty later...

NP.

I have to mention though - the enemies get a +2 Pen & +2 AC bonus on PoTD, but nothing on veteran. As a result, penetration and armour is much bigger of a worry in PotD than in Veteran, and abilities that provide additional armour (as well as heavy armour itself) makes a massive difference in Veteran, whereas abilities (and esp. modals) that give penetration is not that big of a deal. I will suggest on the beta feedback thread that enemies in Veteran get at least a +1 pen and +1 AC, or one of either +2 pen or +2 AC (as opposed to both in PotD).

Veteran feels good on a solo character but even then late game is too easy. I'm playing rogue/ranger and after installing the patch I didn't notice any spike in difficulty. I fought a magma dragon and it was so disappointingly easy even with just one guy. The dragon couldn't even kill my pet.... So as far as difficulty goes, it is not tuned yet. The beginning might be, but not for the majority of the game and not the bosses. Titan same story but he was even more lame.

• Like 1

I’m confused. The difficulty fixing beta patch came out but not the difficulty fixing full patch?

Even when it is fully released, i'd wait another month or 2 of balancing.

The initial release will be just as half assed as the games launch - to get the purchases of anyone that is still holding out for the game to be balanced (finished properly) like me and a few others.

It'll be a couple months after it, that they will have spent the time and resources to do it properly/fully and will have had the time and feedback to test and fix properly as well. As well as the balance of multiclassing etc being alot more fine tuned.

Need to think like them, which means figuring out how to get the most purchases while quality and actually finishing the product you are selling, takes secondary priority.

Edited by whiskiz

So reporting in on difficulty at the start of the game isn't helpful usually, fyi.

Yes, but it's the only thing we can do in the short time. Specially in my case because I don't have as much time as I want to play games and I take a lot of time in games like this. I usually listen to everything that has voice acting and do my exploration with no hurry. Maybe I'll even use the walk toggle. I won't be able to judge the difficult of late game for many weeks...

Anyway, the OP seems satisfied about the early game information and understands that late game is a different thing. So it is helpful. ;)

Ok, Nvmind then. I am trying to find thread I read it in. Can't locate it. I probably should have taken my medicine.

I think I read it somewhere too. Medicine for me too...

sign.jpg

I'm about halfway through the game on Veteran. I was gibbing foes constantly with auto-attack every encounter before the patch; after patch, fights require micro-management, but I still haven't run into anything that I'd consider a real challenge. Definitely better, but it feels more like a bump from Story > Normal rather than from Normal > Veteran. 

It seems like everyone only gives feedback about POTD.

I really want some kind of challenge, but real life (50-60h job) just doesn't allow me to try each important fight 3-4 times. 

Was veteran difficulty improved as well? Or is it just harder due to nerfs?

Any impressions?

im 100% like you.

I reported this. It was possible for a very short time but they probably corrected it with an update. I know since i was on POTD and im stuck on veteran now. 

• Like 1

It seems like you cannot change to PotD from Veteran, but it does seem like you can change level scaling. I started with level scaling set to all, but I can change it to off or critical path only in game. I haven't tested whether this actually has an effect, though. I might do so at a later stage. At the very least, the level indicators for quests and enemies whilst using level scaling has been fixed!

As to the difficulty level of PoTD and Veteran. I've played the starter island on both difficulties, pre- and post patch. Both difficulties have been increased, quite tremendously, for the starter island. On PoTD, it is necessary to employ additional measures to finish the island, such as hiring a merc (cipher), or some other (such as specific use of Berath's blessings, buying specific scrolls etc.) After finishing the island on PoTD, I restarted on Veteran as the difficulty of PoTD for the starter island was slightly above with what I feel comfortable - I like it to be difficult enough to warrant a reload and change of tactics upon party wipe, but not enough to respec/hire additional party members and tailor my party for the difficult encounters. The increased Veteran difficulty, for the starter island, hits this sweet spot - difficult enough that careful thinking is necessary and use of consumables are generally required (depending on MC build), but not so crazy as to require meta knowledge and whatnot. In this regard, the Veteran and PoTD difficulties satisfy their respective niches.

As to the difficulty beyond the starter island - we'll see. I have strong doubts, as the XP gain on the starter island already felt quite large (and unchanged from the previous build). Therefore I expect a massive XP bloat again during/after Neketaka, and unless (i) level scaling is well-implemented (probably not) or (ii) you do the least amount of side-quests required, I expect the rest of the game will again start becoming much easier.

That said, based on their work on the starter island (as a result of feedback from the community) I have hope that they can use these changes as a template for most portions of the rest of the game.

I've got the beta patch and have played through tutorial island and a few quests after on Veteran with level scaling (only up), and you're spot on. Unfortunately, you're also right about later difficulty; its already getting much much easier.  It's not as bad as before where Eder and the MC kill everything and the rest of the party just chills,  but I'm not having to use consumables and empowers to get through fights.

Edited by divx

It's not really accurate judging the difficulty in the first half of a game let alone the start (lol)

Games on higher difficulties have always traditionally been decently balanced at the start and even the first half/early game, but it's the majority of the game especially mid-end that it starts to lose its balance and goes back to becoming an OP faceroll.

It's like most devs balance the early game then get lazy, or want to save the time and resources on doing it fully/properly.

Come mid game you generally have better gear, more combat choices, are alot stronger and so again it goes back to becoming a faceroll later in the game. Hopefully level scaling helps that, this time around, as well as actually balancing the game mid-end too.

This is true.