BUG: "Replaying" Maps + Cant change party members from the roster

Naurgalen

Question

Because I have little time I play sporadically now-days so I cant recall when the problem started. I SUSPECT the problems may have started 1) when I installed a patch or ad-on (critical role voices or the other) or 2) by some bugged quest, but what happened is that areas that I explored were covered (both map and in game) and gave me EXP like if I was exploring them from the first time. I ignored it as it was a minor thing. Sadly there were hints that some greater problem was behind it as at least 1 quest I did was"reset" to 0 again: By that time I had killed the mephit captain, but when I approached the zone for a second time it  was there again (and allready aggressive). He even dropped his quest item again. Still I ignored it as a minor bug and played a TON more when I tried to change party members for the first time. To my surprise I couldn't pick them. I can "recruit" and press "accept" but when that's done they just don't get added to the party as the ones I was using. I have like 20 saves corrupted that way(15hs of game-play, and that's a ton for me) before a save were I can change party members fine. And I'm not even sure those are not really bugged too:

The reason I think it may be a patch induced bug is because I have at least 8 saves on different parts of the story and when I load ANY of them and try to walk in Nehetaka im  always intercepted by the quest were Talfor wants to coerce you into giving the letter to Degnos.Its not possible that in saves separated by hours I never did that quest, and it seems strange to me that a bugged quest could affect all the saves at the same time. (Even those were the party swapping isn't bugged)

I really love the game, more than the first probably in game-play (except for the new grimoires, I prefer the old FAR more), characters and awesome locations/art, but these kind of game-breaking bugs destroy my experience.I really really hope there is some kind of fix to swap party members again.

10 answers to this question

Hi,

I also have this problem. Zones (including the world map) show up now as non-explored and I cannot change party members. 

For me, the problem started after I finished the Old City area and returned to Dereo. I noticed the Denver's Row showing as unexplored, with all doors closed and containers unlooted. I likewise did not pay this much heed, just assumed it was a minor thing. I didn't notice any other hints of something being wrong until (quite soon after) when I returned to the palace and after having finished the Gullet questline, I wanted to swap away Tekehu to Xoti. It was then that I really noticed the bug happening. 

I can't swap in any characters that were not in my party earlier. If I try, once I close the party management window, I just have empty slots in my party. I can't add in any characters to fill that slot except Tekehu, who was in my party when the bug apparently started.

Tbh, I did not immediately even connect the party management bug to the "map reset" bug. It was only when I decided to see if I coulld swap party from my ship that I realized that all the areas I had explored out at sea were under the fog again and this made me think they might be connected. 

I do have a save from before I went to the Old City and in that one it seems like party management works. I have some saves left in Old City as well, so I could maybe try to triangulate a point where it breaks and see if it does so again. Though I have to say this whole this has kinda soured me a bit for the game. I don't much enjoy having to backtrack, especially since I struggled through some fights in Old City and not too keen on having to redo it. Shame, because I too was really enjoying the game, even more so than the first one.

Btw, I didn't install any patches or addons recently to my recollection.

Update: I did find a save at the very end of Old City actually that still worked and hadn't gone through the "reset". I went back to Dereo and everything seems to work for now. Not helpful to the OP I suppose, since they are so far along since the start of the bug though :/ I was lucky that I tried to change party quite quickly after the appearance of the bug. Otherwise I might've gone on for ages without realizing this to be the case either.

It may be something in the Old City then, as the saves were my party "works" are before exploring them too.

Maybe its related to the stacking curse bug that dissapears when you sleep with food?

Edited by Naurgalen

I'm trying to remember if there was anything I did the first time immediately after the save which works, but I'm drawing a blank. That save was at the VERY end, after me having killed the boss mob and looted the whole place. So all I really did after that was run out. I don't think I walked by any of the curse stacking things between that point and the bug appearing. The only thing I did different the first time as opposed to now, when I just left the place and everything is working fine, was that I forgot that the quest NPC I was supposed to talk to was waiting for me at the Old City area, so I went to the bit underneath Delver's Row, realized that the NPC wasn't there, went back to Old City to meet her and then exited the area. But I don't know how that could've caused the bug.

Something to note is that earlier in Old City I had a minor bug where Maia's bird pet wasn't being revived after a fight but kept showing up dead. I ended up having to restart the game to fix that and then the pet actually resurrected at the opposite end of the whole area for me. But that happened before the bit where my working save took place, so could be unrelated. 

I also wonder if the pools that give you sickness could have something to do with this, since they seem to be placing you into combat for tiny fragments of moments each time you walk into them.

Hi,

I've attached one of my save games with the issue. On personal level, I've resolved the issue simply by reloading an earlier save and playing on (I have not thus far had the bug repeat itself and I've now surpassed where I was on this save), but hopefully you can still use it to figure out what causes the bug and fix it for the future. 

I just shared a folder with the save in dropbox with bugs@obsidian.net .

I dont normally use Dropbox so I hope it works.

Just a suggestion: As most saves seem to be under 2mb but above 1mb,  wouldnt be better if the forum allows 2mb uploads for the users to report bugs?

Edited by Naurgalen

Having a similar problem. After speaking with Maia during The Courier's Calling when she returns from her mission, I am stuck with not being able to recruit those that were in my party prior to the event. Something about how it adds her back to the party. Added a save from 4 hours before at queens berth, the last save before I got the issue, and a save after just getting it (the autosave in the sea). Also went to the wild mare to experiment with party changing, and it got quite glitchy.

Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/45kuacl2z82pllb/AAD7M3aYfiRImHK9szzAcwu_a?dl=0

Cheers for your hard work!

Edit: actually the one at Queen's berth was hella messed up too. Added one before that, Engwithan Waystation save, where everything seems fine.

Edited by Brillig

Hello,

I have trouble changing the party members in the inn. 

When I try to hire some of them (for example Serafen or Maia Rua), they just dont appear in the party after I choose them.

Im not sure at what point this occured as I played large part with the same party.

I would attach the save file but maximum allowed file size to attach is 507KB while my savegame file is over 3200KB.

Thank you for help, regards,

Andrew

Hello,

I have trouble changing the party members in the inn. 

When I try to hire some of them (for example Serafen or Maia Rua), they just dont appear in the party after I choose them.

Im not sure at what point this occured as I played large part with the same party.

I would attach the save file but maximum allowed file size to attach is 507KB while my savegame file is over 3200KB.

Thank you for help, regards,

Andrew

Savegame file location: 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pb80iqt9c77u9gq/Andrew%20%28TheWildMare%29%20%28d5f90732-46d0-4046-a69e-8a150a8bb9d2%29%20%28LAX-2ABCE%29%20%28765335346%29.savegame?dl=0