[1.1 beta] Companion reactions that don't make sense

AndreaColombo

Question

I've run into a few cases where companions reacted nonsensically to something that was being said. I figured I'd collect them here.

I don't see anything pro-eothasian or proud about this exchange:

FS6FjwZ.png

I would expect Edér to cringe here, instead it's Aloth but I don't see anything proud about it:

0w3MNri.png

Not sure how this qualifies as "worldly." Is anything travel-related supposed to be "worldly"?

O0QWfJJ.png

Again, nothing proud about this—and nothing pro-eothasian. Also, isn't Edér supposed to react negatively to Xoti's take on Eothas? He's reacting favorably all the time in my game:

LE5wbGs.png

Maia's being honest here; not sure how this qualifies as skullduggery:

A6A92Oy.png

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

4 answers to this question

I agree Eder and Aloth are messed up. Eder disposition doesn't match his own dialogues, while Aloth's reactions at times sound like left-over of different dialogues trees. 

For Serafen, the gloating reaction is weird but not so completely off.

The way I see it he enjoyes discovering new places and new people while on some shady adventure, and that made him worldy (or you can say because he is wordly). 

So I read his reaction to Aloth as him going "I did that too! good memories!"

Still weird. 

Xoti is reacting to what Maia did (spying is underhanded), not to the way Maia is saying it.  

Edited by Suen
  • Like 2

I've come to burn your kingdom down

Dude, I think you're being a little nitpicky on these points. IMHO, yeah, saying your god is the only one that matters is kind of egotistical, traveling all over the world looking for a secret organization does make you worldly, and Maia confessing that she's a spy qualifies as skullduggery.

I do think the system is a little too transparent though. It's really obvious what makes your companions tick, which makes the system seem, well, gamey.

IMHO, yeah, saying your god is the only one that matters is kind of egotistical

In the context of Eora, I'm willing to concede the point; however the description of "Pride" in the disposition interface doesn't really support Aloth's annoyance at the sentence. It certainly makes a lot more sense for Edér to beg to differ, in this case. As a matter of fact, there are many places where Gaun is discussed it feels like Edér should have something to say, but he doesn't.

I can get behind the worldly and skullduggery things, though they feel like a bit of a stretch.

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Hello All,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We'll look at each of these instances and get bugs in, and the devs can assess them as they look into each one.

Best Regards,

-Caleb

• Like 1

I like big bugs and I cannot lie...