I am an older gamer (63) and would like to be able to explore the world. Even on Story level I still find all the combat mindless killing. I have to resort to playing it with console cheat "God" mode enabled; because I am unable to successfully handle combat. This, however, doesn't allow me to obtain any achievements. I'm not asking for a kiddy version; I know there are lots of gamers out there who probably think it's already too easy! I just want to know if it would be possible to make story mode more like it's decription alludes; for those who just want to explore more and engage in combat a little less. Thanks for taking time to hear a senior citizen who enjoys the game anyway!

• Like 1

You mean combat is a chore ? Or that you get your ass kicked anyway ? If it's the former, since Icewind Dale was one of the inspiration for Pillars, i'm not sure you could really get rid of it. If you want a RPG where you can play all the game with no combat (if you handle things smartly enough), you should try Torment: Numénara (another isometric RPG by InXile).

If it's the latter, i'm not sure what to say. But obviously, using the pause to issue appropriate orders would help. I guess in story mode, just making sure your guys don't just wait idly doing nothing should suffice. AI scripts could help. But i never ever used any AI in any games before, so i'm not sure how to proceed with it. Nor have i ever tried story mode.

On a side note, i'm not so sure 63 is being such an older gamer ^^. I met older ones on T4C years ago, and they were pretty kick ass (an old MMO with no interface, and all about countless different keyboard macros). So, if your problem is some kind of learning curve, i'm pretty sure reading about combat mechanics in order to understand them well enough would do the job. But since you backed Pillars 1, i'm pretty sure you know them all already?

I am an older gamer (63) and would like to be able to explore the world. Even on Story level I still find all the combat mindless killing. I have to resort to playing it with console cheat "God" mode enabled; because I am unable to successfully handle combat. This, however, doesn't allow me to obtain any achievements. I'm not asking for a kiddy version; I know there are lots of gamers out there who probably think it's already too easy! I just want to know if it would be possible to make story mode more like it's decription alludes; for those who just want to explore more and engage in combat a little less. Thanks for taking time to hear a senior citizen who enjoys the game anyway!

I do agree with you, realtime-pause combat is a mess to control, I don't have this game yet, but I know there are AI scripts you can build in POE2 and I look forward to trying them out, to me Obsidian needs to focus on that. Then we can play realtime and if the team isn't cutting it, we can go back to school and work on our scripts and try again. To me it makes an interesting game play mechanic. I'm playing Tyranny now realtime, because it just doesn't feel good TB (doesn't feel all that great real time either), the skill/spell choices seem ehh overall. So I drop difficulty down and just do my best spamming, which then brings up two issues. Only 1 skill bar available and the specific sections spells, skills, potions etc, there needed to be an option to always show all. It is incredibly bleh working this area in true real time, you have to open the darn section up and then trigger it. These games including the classics have always at best had a little frustration with them, realtime-pause to me feels like master of none. There are plenty of pure TB games now and those play great in general, I've always felt there was a world that should exist in realtime between TB and Diablo type ARPG's (spreadsheet blenders) and to me this is where Obsidian games wants to play in or should want to play in. Either make the UI much more manageable executing realtime orders to a group of characters or give us a superior scripting AI interface where part of building your character is building their attack/support scripts.

Edited by Horrorscope
  • Like 1

I reckon you could just switch the AI on for everyone and let it autoresolve in story mode in the game in its current state.

I think this is a very good suggestion. I would also recommend erring on the side of putting your characters into heavier armor.

Failing that, you could look into the modding subforum of the technical issues subforum on this site, as there are mods that allow you to earn achievements while using console cheats.

• Like 1

Hi wesblackb, for what it's worth I understand where you're coming from. I am part of a minority that would be happy to play an RPG with no combat system. You might want to check out Tides of Numenera if you haven't already, since the combat there is (mostly) avoidable.

Since you already have cheats enabled I'm not sure that the combat can be streamlined any more...

That said, pressing F11 on your keyboard gives you access to a debug menu. Among other things, that lets you instantly travel to any location. Good luck with your game, in any case!

Edited by glennjones130486

Why not continue playing this way? I think it's great that you know what you want and you found an easy way to make it happen. 'Achievements', after all, are ultimately meaningless fodder created solely for kids' bragging rights and to entice customers to spend more money and time.

On story mode as it exists you could probably turn on the AI options, faster speed combat and leave for a cup of tea. One thing that might happen later is a mod for making the speed-up button even faster, that could help.

• Like 2

I am not the greatest fan of permanent combat as well, but found out you can play really large parts of the game peacefully and you have a lot of options in picking your fights. There are even signs in the quest log for difficult quests, just do the easy ones first and you will be overlevelled during most of the game - only a few fights in the north western part were a bit hard for me. I worked a lot with the AI scrips (basically set the most important buffs and debuffs on "always") and also put heavy armor on my soft targets and robes on my melees - might sound counterintuitive, but helps making sure the enemies don't rush for your casters. My main char was a crowd controlling talky guy and very robust (Skald/Trickster with Sabre/Small Shield), so few things could surprise me. Tekehu is a great caster for this playstyle, since his AoE attacks don't hurt the party and you can spam blindly - the AI can't get this wrong.

Why not continue playing this way? I think it's great that you know what you want and you found an easy way to make it happen. 'Achievements', after all, are ultimately meaningless fodder created solely for kids' bragging rights and to entice customers to spend more money and time.

On story mode as it exists you could probably turn on the AI options, faster speed combat and leave for a cup of tea. One thing that might happen later is a mod for making the speed-up button even faster, that could help.

BUT the achievements in Deadfire give you those handy blessings xD

nvAeseu.png

BUT the achievements in Deadfire give you those handy blessings xD

Do the "Berath's Blessings" achievements lock when the Steam achievements lock? I thought they were disconnected from each other.

Yup, they too get locked.

However, if Berath’s Blessings are the reason you don’t want to disable achievements, you can ask a fellow gamer to share their in-game achievement file with you. Simply swapping your file for his will unlock on your machine all achievements he unlocked. (Steam/GoG achievements would remain locked.)

Or you could use the Unity Console mod from Nexus ;)

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

There's always been bit of a problem cRPGs when you meet an archwizard, because they can do all kinds of cool things you can't, but you can still kick their ass. In Deadfire you can't even create your own grimoire. It feels like an artificial restriction for the sake of balance.

I would like to see wizards getting one time, one time only, ability to make their own grimoire. Once it's used you can't edit your grimoire or create another one. How would it work is: you get to copy two spells per spell tier from all the grimoires in your inventory to your own grimoire. The longer you wait the longer you have to keep using other peoples grimoires, but you would have more spells to choose from when you make your grimoire. Also, unique spells would still be unique to those specific grimoires and you can't copy them. 

Edited by kirottu

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.