what's the best outcome for 'The Storms of Poko Kohara' quest?

Castrol actually does have loftier goals for progress and whatnot. I don't think he's an entirely bad person and some of his goals are amiable.

Additionally, the VTC is often kinder /less awful to the hauana than the RDC. The problem is that it's almost completely dependent on who's in charge from the VTC, because the VTC itself mostly just cares about reputation and money and doesn't inherently have issues with morally horrifying things.

• Like 2

If you read Beza's notes, she openly opines that Castrol wouldn't have the stomach for murdering the natives to enrich the Adra. She believes Alvari probably would.  It being only a matter of time until profits trump morals, I destroyed the adra.

Being an island Aumaua made the decision a bit easier. YMMV. 

Edited by Parasol_Syndicate

Magran's fire casts light in Dark Places...

Isn't it even more horrible for a native to destroy adra?

Depends on your perspective, which probably shows one of the biggest strengths of this game.

Yes, destroying the adra ****s up the adra, which seems very anti Huana to me, and it also ruins Tikawara's chances if you don't go Rauatai (which I would think would be a horrifying choice to someone who is hauana), but it also discourages foreign powers from getting in and potentially ruining native lives. Which can actually happen if you side with the VTC in a certain way.

I originally destroyed the adra in my playthrough because the potential ramifications of encouraging the VTC or Rauatai to invade that space and mess up the natives lives was nightmarish. I later regretted it and reloaded, but even now I can see why someone would do it.

• Like 1

Isn't it even more horrible for a native to destroy adra?

Only one faction is talking about wholesale murder of the tribals, and only to enrich the adra. 

Valians profiting means more Valians setting up shop; destroying far more adra in the long run. 

In any case, it only ruins Tikiwara's chances to be Port Maje. With better leadership it could still find it's niche. 

• Like 1

Magran's fire casts light in Dark Places...

• 4 weeks later...

More specifically, with Maia's quest, you have to

avoid doing it at all.

Aha, so that's how you use the spoiler tag! So:

Not necessarily, you just need to let Maia start a fight with the locals and allow them to kill the Rauataian guy.

Likewise, in Port-Maje you need to convince the woman to take the missive without getting the huana off her back.

So if you, at Maje took the Huana of her back and then when you reached Tikawara, also helped the spy, what will happen? Because I thought I was doing to right thing by helping Maia.

More specifically, with Maia's quest, you have to

avoid doing it at all.

Aha, so that's how you use the spoiler tag! So:

Not necessarily, you just need to let Maia start a fight with the locals and allow them to kill the Rauataian guy.

Likewise, in Port-Maje you need to convince the woman to take the missive without getting the huana off her back.

So if you, at Maje took the Huana of her back and then when you reached Tikawara, also helped the spy, what will happen? Because I thought I was doing to right thing by helping Maia.
Oh man, I'm sorry. Game got both of us on this one. Though I only helped with one,then just didn't do the quest. This is an ending slide spoiler, so only look if you don't mind :

If you help Maia at both points, her two friends assassinate the governor at Port Majae and the chief or priestess (whoever's in charge) at Tikawara. Atsura does this to undermine what they're building and, if the RDC get Ukaizo and whatnot, replace it with Rauatai influence.

Edited by Tick

• 1 year later...
On 6/7/2018 at 3:32 AM, Ichthyic said:

I would support the vailians as opposed to the deadfire except...

the Valians were working with Furrante to keep the slaver operations going, and they inevitably have people working for them (like Bezo) who always think of the most dark and evil thing you could possibly consider to do, without any moral compunctions about doing it, even if they are in the minority.  Remember Luca and the Valians basically tricking the Huana into selling the entire tribal land to the company?

now, think about what happened to the Tikawara.  It wasn't the valians who were destroying their tribe, it was slavers.  but out of all the groups vying for control, which one was supporting the slavers?  the valians.

If the Tikawara were really to survive as a traditional tribe, the only way to do that would be to remove the temptation for others to manipulate them.  that means destroying both the Adra Pillar AND the slavers.

that the game would not let you have this ending is just an oversight IMO.

Hi, I am at the very beginning of the game, doing this quest and i saw slavers in the Royal deadfire company also, i don't know which one of the two factions are the best, for me both are really bad for Huanas, Most of the Valians we see are little thugs, and the Royal Deadfire company remind me the Qunari in Dragon Age, if i had to choose i would choose any of them... I would have restored the Adra if only we could lie to the Valians so they leave Tikaware be in peace...

Pillars of Eternity PS4 - RPG fan - Native language French, so please forgive my poor English speaking ...

On 2/8/2020 at 3:49 AM, fced said:

Hi, I am at the very beginning of the game, doing this quest and i saw slavers in the Royal deadfire company also, i don't know which one of the two factions are the best, for me both are really bad for Huanas, Most of the Valians we see are little thugs, and the Royal Deadfire company remind me the Qunari in Dragon Age, if i had to choose i would choose any of them... I would have restored the Adra if only we could lie to the Valians so they leave Tikaware be in peace...

But then the tribe's head Ranga Ruanu will be unhappy, because he wants to trade with Vailians. He thinks this is the road to prosperity for the tribe.

35 minutes ago, wih said:

But then the tribe's head Ranga Ruanu will be unhappy, because he wants to trade with Vailians. He thinks this is the road to prosperity for the tribe.

I know, but they are travellers, when you enter on Tikawara, you notify everybody is hungry, they are starving because no food and this only because one stupid ranga is ready to sell the tribe to Valians.
The first time i entered Neketaka, i went in the Vallian merchant trading company, and found a Huana outside the door, which was here because his Chief which was not understanding the way of outsiders signed a paper and sold the island....
There is countless example like this... they come they destroy what they don't understand, Luminous adra is a road for the souls in this game, and what the valians are doing, they use it for their bath...

• Like 1

Pillars of Eternity PS4 - RPG fan - Native language French, so please forgive my poor English speaking ...

5 minutes ago, fced said:

I know, but they are travellers, when you enter on Tikawara, you notify everybody is hungry, they are starving because no food and this only because one stupid ranga is ready to sell the tribe to Valians.
The first time i entered Neketaka, i went in the Vallian merchant trading company, and found a Huana outside the door, which was here because his Chief which was not understanding the way of outsiders signed a paper and sold the island....
There is countless example like this... they come they destroy what they don't understand, Luminous adra is a road for the souls in this game, and what the valians are doing, they use it for their bath...

Strong arguments. I decided that he is their head, he probably knows what they need, so I decided to grant him what he wants for the tribe. But of course he may be wrong.

2 hours ago, wih said:

Strong arguments. I decided that he is their head, he probably knows what they need, so I decided to grant him what he wants for the tribe. But of course he may be wrong.

To be honest i expected a better solution, like convincing their ranga, or lying to the vallians, anything to protect the Tikawara peoples from the greedy valians/Ruautai and avoid destructing the adra

Edited by fced

On 2/14/2020 at 12:44 AM, fced said:

To be honest i expected a better solution, like convincing their ranga, or lying to the vallians, anything to protect the Tikawara peoples from the greedy valians/Ruautai and avoid destructing the adra

I know what you mean. There is no fully satisfactory solution. It is not the only quest like that. Many quests in PoE were like this, too. It is clearly deliberate. I think it is about the role play. The quest designer is offering to the player a set of differing outcomes, so that the player has an opportunity to define the character they play. You select the outcome that relates most to the way your character views and understands the world, even though that outcome may not give you, the player, a full satisfaction.

This design approach is not without a danger. Many players probably feel that they play a very powerful character, who should be able to achieve an outcome that is best in every way. Who could blame them? "But my character is totally benevolent! I want to achieve justice and happiness for all the good guys!"

So they are left with a feeling that there is something wrong with the game.

• Thanks 1

Even if all faction have flaws, I consider siding with Huana the most satisfying ending because it solves most of the problems (Neketaka/Gullet improved, huana's life&traditions preserved, VTC continues research in a reasonable manner, trading continues with RDC and pirates become a transit company). Not the best ending for Tikawara, but not the worst either...