anyone else think we should have been able to become a god?

just finished deadfire and kind of disappointed that there is no become a god ending

it would fit really well for my character because she would think she could do a better job running eora than the gods

especially after finding out that they're artificial constructs anyway

also would've been cool to agent smith eothas ya know and then take his power for ourselves as well as the souls from the first game and the ones in

xoti's lantern then take the power of the rest of  the gods and turn our self into the one true god

Mu hu ha ah ha

• Like 1

No, because it's impressed upon you many, many, many times that the gods are way more complex and powerful than a mortal soul, even a Watcher's soul, is prepared to handle. You can no more absorb the souls in Eothas than you can drink the ocean.

And really, if it was going to happen, it would've happened in PoE1.

Edited by gkathellar
  • Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

i can't recall... but in the first game, was there an option to absorb the lost souls yourself? i honestly can't remember... i mean that sounds like a logical option, though i can't recall if i've seen it. which is sad as i've played pillars 1 four times to completion, you'd think that would be something i'd remember?

---edit

No, because it's impressed upon you many, many, many times that the gods are way more complex and powerful than a mortal soul, even a Watcher's soul, is prepared to handle.

And really, if it was going to happen, it would've happened in PoE1.

looks like my question was answered. lol
Edited by Casper

Yesterday, upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish he'd go away... -Hughes Mearns

Guest Blutwurstritter

I would have liked the option to create a new good to rule the others, instead of becoming one yourself. I thought that the one ending, where you tell Eothas that a leader is missing among the gods, would lead to this option.

Interesting. I had the same idea when playing Deadfire. Sure the story nudges you into either contending with the Gods or resetting by destroying the wheel. But as animancy grows closer to the original power of the Engwithans they should be able to also pursue that which turned them into Gods in the first place. Creating a God would require an immense amount of souls, but it is not impossible. Although I agree that this would play perhaps too much towards the BG series, I don't see it not working in this game series. On the other hand your soul might become more of a herald soul much like Thaos was, constantly reviving and continuing on to assist Eora in place of the Gods themselves. This last part allows more opportunity for the game series to continue on its own. Becoming a God would actually allow for a reset in main PC and go to a future where you are a new watcher or something similar and have to deal with the old Watcher-turned-god.

Both interesting I say.

• Like 2

nah..

even in old BG2..I never choose to become a God . (good or evil)..I have no interest in that kind of stuff . 

I mean unless you play as one say like in Black&White..sure , that's fun . But usually in games like this..it's just 'So you ascended at last , and from up there peoples worship you..and you are bored to tears ! THE END'' . 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

Interesting. I had the same idea when playing Deadfire. Sure the story nudges you into either contending with the Gods or resetting by destroying the wheel. But as animancy grows closer to the original power of the Engwithans they should be able to also pursue that which turned them into Gods in the first place. Creating a God would require an immense amount of souls, but it is not impossible. Although I agree that this would play perhaps too much towards the BG series, I don't see it not working in this game series. On the other hand your soul might become more of a herald soul much like Thaos was, constantly reviving and continuing on to assist Eora in place of the Gods themselves. This last part allows more opportunity for the game series to continue on its own. Becoming a God would actually allow for a reset in main PC and go to a future where you are a new watcher or something similar and have to deal with the old Watcher-turned-god.

Both interesting I say.

well, if that gave watchers something akin to a patron god/deity i could live with that.

Yesterday, upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish he'd go away... -Hughes Mearns

I kind of agree with the OP.  It is indicated many times that you are shepherding and absorbing souls.  You are the brightest light in the in between short of the gods themselves.  You are "repairing" and communing with Luminous Adra.  You are also probably the only living person who can actually speak, and read, Engwithan.  Much less knows how to actually use their machines. 

Also lets not forgot the "gods" are actually just a large number of Engwithan souls that have been merged together.

So I am fairly sure the Watcher could pull off godhood, with enough souls and the right tech backing it up at least.

• Like 3

I kind of agree with the OP.  It is indicated many times that you are shepherding and absorbing souls.  You are the brightest light in the in between short of the gods themselves.  You are "repairing" and communing with Luminous Adra.  You are also probably the only living person who can actually speak, and read, Engwithan.  Much less knows how to actually use their machines. 

Also lets not forgot the "gods" are actually just a large number of Engwithan souls that have been merged together.

So I am fairly sure the Watcher could pull off godhood, with enough souls and the right tech backing it up at least.

would the god actually be the watcher though or some new being that includes the watcher's soul?

• Like 1

The problem is that one person's body can never be a pile of bodies. It can be in a pile of bodies, it can even be the biggest and most interesting body, but the pile of bodies is a pile of bodies, and a single body is still a single body. The Watcher can't pull off godhood because the Watcher is a person, and PoE's gods are not people, not even close: they're ideals given form by the collective suicide of an entire civilization. Presumably you could make a god out of enough souls, including the Watcher, and presumably that god could have the Watcher's name, but I don't see any reason to think that it would be the Watcher.

EDIT: ninjas

Edited by gkathellar
  • Like 3

would the god actually be the watcher though or some new being that includes the watcher's soul?

From what I understand how the Engwithans created the Gods they are not a single person, although the watchers soul may be the one that is more prominent. As Eothas stated as well your soul is stronger than other souls.

• Like 1

or could one even ascend to godhood without becoming a "mechanical" ideal? or without building the foundation of said ideal or whatever? 

• Like 2

This could actually be an interesting option if it posed this question and wasn't just "ta-da! you can become a god!". You have the option to create a god and maybe even a god with your name and personality but it won't actually be you. Is that something you would choose? I still think it's a bit too close to BG though, the series should try it's best to do it's own thing.

The problem is that one person's body can never be a pile of bodies. It can be in a pile of bodies, it can even be the biggest and most interesting body, but the pile of bodies is a pile of bodies, and a single body is still a single body. The Watcher can't pull off godhood because the Watcher is a person, and PoE's gods are not people, not even close: they're ideals given form by the collective suicide of an entire civilization. Presumably you could make a god out of enough souls, including the Watcher, and presumably that god could have the Watcher's name, but I don't see any reason to think that it would be the Watcher.

True, but there are a few catches here.

1:  The Engwithans were united in purpose.  The ones who wanted a Woedica all went and made Woedica.  So they were probably mostly of like mind, mostly.

2: It is made clear in game the Watcher controls multiple souls, like lots of souls by now, and their own soul is considerably stronger than a normal persons soul.

So yes, at some point the "watcher" would get diluted, but there is no reason to believe he would not be the boss soul among the noise that is the god.

or could one even ascend to godhood without becoming a "mechanical" ideal? or without building the foundation of said ideal or whatever? 

Hm, I feel that Godhood is not something a single person attains. As the original world of the Engwithans had no Gods. The only Gods that exist are the ones they created with the souls of their own people. Ascending to godhood is not somthing you could simply do by obtaining power unlike in D&D. It is more of a construct by a combination of souls and a purpose.

Edited by AeonsLegend
  • Like 1

This could actually be an interesting option if it posed this question and wasn't just "ta-da! you can become a god!". You have the option to create a god and maybe even a god with your name and personality but it won't actually be you. Is that something you would choose? I still think it's a bit too close to BG though, the series should try it's best to do it's own thing.

if it served some purpose other than OMG look! pick door one to literally become a god in your own right.

• Like 2

This could actually be an interesting option if it posed this question and wasn't just "ta-da! you can become a god!". You have the option to create a god and maybe even a god with your name and personality but it won't actually be you. Is that something you would choose?

Reminds me of the only ME3 ending that even distantly resembled something coherent.

• Like 1

This could actually be an interesting option if it posed this question and wasn't just "ta-da! you can become a god!". You have the option to create a god and maybe even a god with your name and personality but it won't actually be you. Is that something you would choose?

Reminds me of the only ME3 ending that even distantly resembled something coherent.

Is that the ending where a colorful beam shoots into space?

• Like 1

no..

you get 3 colorful button..labeled : strawberry , blue berry and avocado  :lol: and it's NOT Ice cream you gonna get! 

• Like 3
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

No that was all of them. The main difference is whether the beam is red, blue, or green.

Post-DLC, ME3's endings are a little better explained. In the REALLY EFFING DUMB ending, the space beam kills all synthetic life in the galaxy somehow. This doesn't cause any other machines to fail and doesn't harm any organic life forms because reasons and also magic. In the I CANT THINK OF A SUITABLE ACRONYM FOR GREEN ending, organic and synthetic life are "merged" by way of pixie dust, which principally means that everyone has glowing green lines all over them now because reasons and also magic. In the BLUE IS HARD TO READ ON THIS BOARD ending, Commander Jesus gets his consciousness uploaded into a super-reaper who mind-controls all of the other reapers into stopping their plan because it's an incredibly stupid plan based on a series of incredibly stupid assumptions (this is accomplished by a big blue space beam). A big point is made in this one about how the original Commander Jesus died for your sins, and Reaper Jesus is just a clone of his consciousness.

In case it wasn't clear, I think that the Blue Ending is noticeably less dumb than the others.

Edited by gkathellar
  • Like 7

BLUE IS HARD TO READ ON THIS BOARD

:lol: that just made my day! thanx for the laugh! 

• Like 2

Elderly Hive Dweller