Hello everyone!

I plan on starting a new save on PotD (as most here, it seems), and I assume a lot of people are in the same position. 

My first game (on Veteran, until it became way too easy) was a Nature Godlike Berserker/Bleak Walker. Really fun to play.

My second game (on PotD with Deadly Deadfire difficulty mod, until I realized I'd installed it in the wrong place and was playing regular PotD) was a similar character, a Nature Godlike Fighter (no subclass)/Bleak Walker. I actually liked having to avoid Diplomatic choices and going for Aggressive ones. 

I think I'd like to play a melee character again, and I might play a Bleak Walker again, even though their FoD do less corrode damage than before. The enemy still becomes Sickened (good for the Rogues' Sneak Attack, like a multiclassed Eder or a multiclassed Maia.

What kind of characters are you planning to run? Any plans/suggestions on good and fun builds?

Edited by dejarik

Herald is still one of best classes in 1.1 for both solo and team play. I think now Herald might be strongest melee multiclass.

Bleak Walker/Assassin is still best single target range or melee deleter.

Ranger is better but still BW/Ass is better sniper than he is. Companions still useless. Genereally Ranger still low tier.

Fighter sucks now for anything else than standing and tanking.

Monk is still great. Shattered Pillar and Helwalker are still great. Nerf to turning wheel didn't break them.

Wizards are strong, little nerf to evoker didn't change anything.

Ciphers sucks now even more than befre (seriously Obsidian?)

Chanters are still great and Troubadour is now best at everything since Brilliant was removed.

Generally my tier list now is:

Tier 1: Paladins, Chanters/Troubadour, Assassins/Rogues, Monks

Tier 2: Wizards, Priests, Barbarians (zerkers)

Tiers 3: Fighters, Druids, Rangers

Tier 4: Ciphers

Edited by Voltron

I'm eyeballing either single class monk or wizard. It could be yet another martial multiclass, but I've just had two back to back playthroughs of those. I want to shoot awesome purple missiles all over the place, or enjoy the amazing unarmed combat animations... not sure yet. Some paladin or chanter build could also be okay, shame I don't like any of the paladin orders.

Hey @Voltron, what makes Herald your number one? I've played Pallegina as one, and she was good but nothing amazing.

Ghostheart/Assassin with pumped explovises skill loaded with Concussion Grenades and double blunderbusses absolutely destroys everything.

Play sneaky in the beginning and go around do non fighting quests and lvl up. Buy a couple of fireball necklaces for fights u need to do. Boost explosives with Gloves, hooker in Dunnage and Luminous Adra potion and ofc the skill trainer and then enjoy the fireworks. It's insanely effective and equally fun.

• Like 1

I'm currently playing Nalpazca/Wael Priest Contemplative, its in no way refined state and even running defensive drugs, not using any potions and after I buff with minor avatar its not uncommon to score 200-300 damage stunning blows on enemies that are tanky (fist attacks perma 15 pen).

This is using lightning strikes, turning wheel, transcendent blows. I can easily see that even after nerfs and introducing more enemies in encounters it will still be enough damage to overkill things tripple times over. You get great defensive wizard buffs with wael for early game. The only problem I can see is if they spawn much more casters that initiate fights with arcane dampener on veteran/potd. These are the only encounters I reloaded few times because dampener shuts you down hard. 

Looks like they were mostly focused on taking the fun out of all DPS builds. I am downloading the beta now, but I imagine the tank builds like Arcane Knight (paladin/wizard) are fine as long as the deflection spells are still intact. My build had plenty of defenses to spare, so a couple item nerfs won’t kill it. If nothing can hit you, damage output doesn’t matter rendering the other nerfs meaningless. Just takes a little longer to kill everything. Big question is if enemy accuracy went up. I have mostly heard that penetration and armor were adjusted, which again means nothing to the super tank.

Ghostheart/Assassin with pumped explovises skill loaded with Concussion Grenades and double blunderbusses absolutely destroys everything.

Play sneaky in the beginning and go around do non fighting quests and lvl up. Buy a couple of fireball necklaces for fights u need to do. Boost explosives with Gloves, hooker in Dunnage and Luminous Adra potion and ofc the skill trainer and then enjoy the fireworks. It's insanely effective and equally fun.

Where do you get ingredients for bombs?

Looks like they were mostly focused on taking the fun out of all DPS builds. I am downloading the beta now, but I imagine the tank builds like Arcane Knight (paladin/wizard) are fine as long as the deflection spells are still intact. My build had plenty of defenses to spare, so a couple item nerfs won’t kill it. If nothing can hit you, damage output doesn’t matter rendering the other nerfs meaningless. Just takes a little longer to kill everything. Big question is if enemy accuracy went up. I have mostly heard that penetration and armor were adjusted, which again means nothing to the super tank.

Looks like every major fight get mage with arcane dampener, so no, it's kill or be killed. Also, interruption everywhere.

Looks like every major fight get mage with arcane dampener, so no, it's kill or be killed. Also, interruption everywhere.
Well, interruption only works if they can hit you and your spells are all near instant cast anyway. Arcane dampener targets will defense, I believe, which is likely to miss a super tank that does everything possible to boost defenses. I need to look over all the changes, but I think it is still viable unless the AI got a lot smarter, like blasting you will magic missles that can’t miss.

Update: looked over the abilities and none of the abilities were nerfed for the paladin/wizard super tank. Displaced image was nerfed (now only provides 10 deflection and 30% graze to hit), however the only part I cared about with that spell was the +20 reflex which is unchanged. If i want deflection, arcane veil, mirror images, and wizard double are better anyway and none of those were nerfed. Spell reflection is unchanged too. Safeguard is still as OP as it ever was. illusion debuffs avoided nerfs. Looks like really only the pure evoker was harmed.

Monk was hurt a lot in DPS, but monk/wizard tanks were unharmed; they just want the free INT/CON for boosting will/fort depending on the fight and you can still spam blade turn and dance with death to be invulnerable in melee.

Edited by Braven

Herald is still one of best classes in 1.1 for both solo and team play. I think now Herald might be strongest melee multiclass.

When they just lost the brilliant inspiration and sacred immolation hasn't got its fix...

Brilliant actually wasn't that necerssary on Herald because you only use 1 Zeal during Fights- for FOD since Sworn Rival cost is refunded on kill so it costs 0 as you kill what you "sworned" before casting it again. And you can still empower yourself and get some resources back.

Alll you do on Herald really is Sworn Rival- FOD spam. You just add to that Summons, Healing Chants and offensive invocations and nothing really changes for Herald. And Sacred can still be used by Shieldbearer because of 10 sec immortality + Nemnok Cloak with 15 sec immortality + BtDD if you have priest in party.

Now on the other hand War Caller is super nerfed with Brilliant lost- Disc. Strikes - cost 1, Vig. Defenses- 2, Unbending -3, Charge - 2.

Herald is now pretty much strongest solo melee multiclass when we take into consideration- damage, defenses, self heals and add on top of that summons and heavy CC (paralyze, charm).

Edited by Voltron

Checked giftbearers cloak and it was nerfed to be 1 defense per two history. So basically about 10 less “other” defense with maxed history. Not a big deal since wizards can avoid many of those with spell reflection anyway and paladin/wizard was already overkill in reflex and will and gave up on fortitude. Basically just means having to abuse per rest food like the birdsead to reach the same levels again, which I didn’t do before. The bird seed was not nerfed and also helps deflection too.

The strongest shield was not only untouched, but actually buffed. No, I am not talking about the athletics one. That one was sub-optimal even before since it means a solo character can’t invest in mechanics. I mean Bronlar’s Phalax. It still provides up to 20 bonus deflection and requires no skill investment. The catch is that it scales lost health. However, you want to reach at least 50% to trigger safeguard spell anyway and, once you are un-hittable, you might as well stay low on health. This works great with other things that want you bloodied like the human’s Fighting spirit passive. Also comes with free smart inspiration saving you a spell cast. Now it is better because shield quality enchant was buffed. Superb used to be +3 and is now +6.

So basically, the max deflection possible is unchanged as far as I can tell. You can still get over 220. A couple minor items loss a point of resolve, but shield base deflection is better making up for the loss. Key shield and abilities were not nerfed.

Edited by Braven
  • Like 2

When they just lost the brilliant inspiration and sacred immolation hasn't got its fix...

Brilliant actually wasn't that necerssary on Herald because you only use 1 Zeal during Fights- for FOD since Sworn Rival cost is refunded on kill so it costs 0 as you kill what you "sworned" before casting it again. And you can still empower yourself and get some resources back.

Alll you do on Herald really is Sworn Rival- FOD spam. You just add to that Summons, Healing Chants and offensive invocations and nothing really changes for Herald. And Sacred can still be used by Shieldbearer because of 10 sec immortality + Nemnok Cloak with 15 sec immortality + BtDD if you have priest in party.

Now on the other hand War Caller is super nerfed with Brilliant lost- Disc. Strikes - cost 1, Vig. Defenses- 2, Unbending -3, Charge - 2.

Herald is now pretty much strongest solo melee multiclass when we take into consideration- damage, defenses, self heals and add on top of that summons and heavy CC (paralyze, charm).

Yeah, Virtuous Triumph would do as a fair replacement for Brilliant with the right build I think anyways.  If you are using AoE enough it will replenish your Zeal.  Things like Soft Winds net more kills than you realize.  If they make Dragon Thrashed and/or Brand Enemy a bit better that would net some good synergy I'd wager.  Being able to dot enemies that are on the outskirts and the like.  Albeit would come pretty late in the game, but respec is working now apparently (haven't tested myself, but red about it being fixed on reddit.  So, don't take it as fact.) so it isn't a big deal. 

That is if you were trying to use more than FoD, LoH, and Sworn Rival.  Using a better version of DT or Brand Enemy, Soft Winds, or a Damage Invocation in conjunction with Inspiring Beacon might further assist in netting those kills, and keep the Zeal flowing.  It would work more burstily than Brilliant did.  You would likely dump most of your Zeal, and then drop a hard hitting Seven Nights or whatever damage Invocation you have specced, and replenish Zeal. 

Also, you get 3 Empower points at level 3 now with the patch.  So, resource costs are a little less important than they were before this patch anyway. 

Checked giftbearers cloak and it was nerfed to be 1 defense per two history. So basically about 10 less “other” defense with maxed history. Not a big deal since wizards can avoid many of those with spell reflection anyway and paladin/wizard was already overkill in reflex and will and gave up on fortitude. Basically just means having to abuse per rest food like the birdsead to reach the same levels again, which I didn’t do before. The bird seed was not nerfed and also helps deflection too.

The strongest shield was not only untouched, but actually buffed. No, I am not talking about the athletics one. That one was sub-optimal even before since it means a solo character can’t invest in mechanics. I mean Bronlar’s Phalax. It still provides up to 20 bonus deflection and requires no skill investment. The catch is that it scales lost health. However, you want to reach at least 50% to trigger safeguard spell anyway and, once you are un-hittable, you might as well stay low on health. This works great with other things that want you bloodied like the human’s Fighting spirit passive. Also comes with free smart inspiration saving you a spell cast. Now it is better because shield quality enchant was buffed. Superb used to be +3 and is now +6.

So basically, the max deflection possible is unchanged as far as I can tell. You can still get over 220. A couple minor items loss a point of resolve, but shield base deflection is better making up for the loss. Key shield and abilities were not nerfed.

Yeah that shield is really good, max of +46 deflection :)

• Like 1

The strongest shield was not only untouched, but actually buffed. No, I am not talking about the athletics one. That one was sub-optimal even before since it means a solo character can’t invest in mechanics. I mean Bronlar’s Phalax.

That shield pairs well with Casita Samelia's Legacy armor.  That armor has an (easy to get) upgrade providing Will defense that scales with health loss (up to 20 will), to make you even more invulnerable with will defense.  That armor is good anyways for a tank since it grants a +5 base deflection bonus.  Now, you could use intimidate to increase the deflection further, though it was nerfed to be 4 intimidate for 1 deflection (but if we are lucky the bugs with it were also fixed).  Because the gift-bearer cloak was also nerfed to require twice as many points, this makes using a cloak of protection an interesting alternative.  With the unique vendor blessing, you can get a cloak of protection in the first town that offers +10 to all defenses for only a few hundred coin.  With 20 history, gift-bearer now provides 15 to non-deflection defenses; only 5 more than the cloak of protection. This opens up the option of instead getting 20 intimidation for +5 additional deflection with the Casita Samelia armor.  I would rather have 5 extra deflection than 5 extra non-deflection defense.  You could also swap that cloak of protection with the cloak of greater deflection, also available for cheap by that vendor, for when you need more deflection instead of other defenses giving you more flexibility to pump up the defenses you need for a particular encounter instead of being locked in on the gift-bearer cloak because you invested so much into it.  That cloak was not nerfed and still offers +7 deflection.

I checked the Paladin F&C nerf.  It now tops off at 15, so a loss of 6 to all defenses.  That is enough, I think, to encourage using Monk instead of Paladin for a max defenses build.  The helwalker monk gets +10 Might and +10 Int/Con with max wounds.  This amounts to either +40 Fortitude or +20 Fortitude and Will in stats.  The flexibility is really good since some fights you will only face one or the other and can switch your defenses instantly.  Or just switch to Con after casting your buffs.  If crucible of suffering activates, you end up with a +70 passive defense increase.  In comparison, paladin has +60 total passive defense increase now.  But it goes beyond raw numbers; monk has a much more equal distribution.  Paladin/Wizard has a hard time increasing fortitude and an easy time maxing out will and reflex.  Monk can play around with starting stats more, like lowering intelligence, because the bonus INT from wounds will compensate.  Likewise, dex is less important with swift strikes.  Those points can be shifted into Might/Con for higher fortitude and duality can be switched to CON instead of INT if facing fortitude attacks that can't be reflected.  The net result is 15 lower deflection, but better overall "other" defenses, which tend to be more important since there are lots of ways to buff up deflection anyway.  I did the math and you can reach an "untouchable" level of deflection without Faith and Conviction, unless they have increased enemy accuracy by quite a bit (I haven't heard this said).

Monk synergies better with tanking items.  Paladin has basically all worthless abilities beyond Faith and Conviction, as far as solo super-tanking goes.  You don't want to heal, you don't need resistances, etc.  Monk can control exactly how low in health they want to be since they can inflict wounds upon themselves with an ability (Mortification of Flesh).  This allows you to maximize the benefit of the shield and armor enchantments that scale on health.  Monk/wizard, even with the nerfs, has much higher DPS than paladin/wizard can ever dream of and has an infinite supply of wounds and extra accuracy thanks to dance with death and will be reflecting lots of ranged attacks with soul mirror for extra damage.

Human's Fighting Spirit (+12 accuracy) combined with dance with death (+12 accuracy, if still capped) should provide enough bonus accuracy to hit enemies with illusion debuffs like blind.  Good to target at enemies you can't use your melee-only deflection boosts against to ensure you don't get hit and to help your soul mirror proc.

Edited by Braven
  • Like 4

100% agree, have been playing this build but using the Spearcaster Crossbow, crossbow modal plus explosives and u can lock down whoever u need along with the tranq shot reducing duration effects on casters. If u need to drop aggro summon pet, then smoke veil/shadowing and they clump around ur pet for another bomb.

The strongest shield was not only untouched, but actually buffed. No, I am not talking about the athletics one. That one was sub-optimal even before since it means a solo character can’t invest in mechanics. I mean Bronlar’s Phalax.

That shield pairs well with Casita Samelia's Legacy armor.  That armor has an (easy to get) upgrade providing Will defense that scales with health loss (up to 20 will), to make you even more invulnerable with will defense.  That armor is good anyways for a tank since it grants a +5 base deflection bonus.  Now, you could use intimidate to increase the deflection further, though it was nerfed to be 4 intimidate for 1 deflection (but if we are lucky the bugs with it were also fixed).  Because the gift-bearer cloak was also nerfed to require twice as many points, this makes using a cloak of protection an interesting alternative.  With the unique vendor blessing, you can get a cloak of protection in the first town that offers +10 to all defenses for only a few hundred coin.  With 20 history, gift-bearer now provides 15 to non-deflection defenses; only 5 more than the cloak of protection. This opens up the option of instead getting 20 intimidation for +5 additional deflection with the Casita Samelia armor.  I would rather have 5 extra deflection than 5 extra non-deflection defense.  You could also swap that cloak of protection with the cloak of greater deflection, also available for cheap by that vendor, for when you need more deflection instead of other defenses giving you more flexibility to pump up the defenses you need for a particular encounter instead of being locked in on the gift-bearer cloak because you invested so much into it.  That cloak was not nerfed and still offers +7 deflection.

I checked the Paladin F&C nerf.  It now tops off at 15, so a loss of 6 to all defenses.  That is enough, I think, to encourage using Monk instead of Paladin for a max defenses build.  The helwalker monk gets +10 Might and +10 Int/Con with max wounds.  This amounts to either +40 Fortitude or +20 Fortitude and Will in stats.  The flexibility is really good since some fights you will only face one or the other and can switch your defenses instantly.  Or just switch to Con after casting your buffs.  If crucible of suffering activates, you end up with a +70 passive defense increase.  In comparison, paladin has +60 total passive defense increase now.  But it goes beyond raw numbers; monk has a much more equal distribution.  Paladin/Wizard has a hard time increasing fortitude and an easy time maxing out will and reflex.  Monk can play around with starting stats more, like lowering intelligence, because the bonus INT from wounds will compensate.  Likewise, dex is less important with swift strikes.  Those points can be shifted into Might/Con for higher fortitude and duality can be switched to CON instead of INT if facing fortitude attacks that can't be reflected.  The net result is 15 lower deflection, but better overall "other" defenses, which tend to be more important since there are lots of ways to buff up deflection anyway.  I did the math and you can reach an "untouchable" level of deflection without Faith and Conviction, unless they have increased enemy accuracy by quite a bit (I haven't heard this said).

Monk synergies better with tanking items.  Paladin has basically all worthless abilities beyond Faith and Conviction, as far as solo super-tanking goes.  You don't want to heal, you don't need resistances, etc.  Monk can control exactly how low in health they want to be since they can inflict wounds upon themselves with an ability (Mortification of Flesh).  This allows you to maximize the benefit of the shield and armor enchantments that scale on health.  Monk/wizard, even with the nerfs, has much higher DPS than paladin/wizard can ever dream of and has an infinite supply of wounds and extra accuracy thanks to dance with death and will be reflecting lots of ranged attacks with soul mirror for extra damage.

Human's Fighting Spirit (+12 accuracy) combined with dance with death (+12 accuracy, if still capped) should provide enough bonus accuracy to hit enemies with illusion debuffs like blind.  Good to target at enemies you can't use your melee-only deflection boosts against to ensure you don't get hit and to help your soul mirror proc.

Nice analysis! you have speak all and more than I wanna say :)

Playing my Shaman - Ranged DPS

No Class Barb - Ranged caster/pistols so no real need for Carnage or hits to crits, so don't need to suffer confusion of Zerker.

Margran Priest for the damages.

With the stat boots and action speed boosts of Barbs you're casting/shooting/recovering fast and you spells pack a punch.

Margran because it gets the dps spells adn you can focus on getting +fire power level equip

It's also a great/fun roleplaying builld.

May not be the best at anything I described, but it's diverse, interesting and a blast to play.

Edited by SamOftheUels

Yeah, Virtuous Triumph would do as a fair replacement for Brilliant with the right build I think anyways.  If you are using AoE enough it will replenish your Zeal.  Things like Soft Winds net more kills than you realize.  If they make Dragon Thrashed and/or Brand Enemy a bit better that would net some good synergy I'd wager.  Being able to dot enemies that are on the outskirts and the like.  Albeit would come pretty late in the game, but respec is working now apparently (haven't tested myself, but red about it being fixed on reddit.  So, don't take it as fact.) so it isn't a big deal. 

That is if you were trying to use more than FoD, LoH, and Sworn Rival.  Using a better version of DT or Brand Enemy, Soft Winds, or a Damage Invocation in conjunction with Inspiring Beacon might further assist in netting those kills, and keep the Zeal flowing.  It would work more burstily than Brilliant did.  You would likely dump most of your Zeal, and then drop a hard hitting Seven Nights or whatever damage Invocation you have specced, and replenish Zeal. 

Also, you get 3 Empower points at level 3 now with the patch.  So, resource costs are a little less important than they were before this patch anyway. 

Precisely, Virtuous Triumph makes Brilliant obsolate for Herald, especially if you know how to use Sacred Immolation or abuse Sasha's max Phrases after empower (basicelly use Paladin Beacon 40% more dmg for enemies -> empower one Seven Nights and immidietly cast second Seven Night after it. That giving you huge double AOE dmg and return you the Zeal for every enemy killed).

• Like 3

Where do you get ingredients for bombs?

Sry i completely forgot about this thread. U can get most of what u need at the Dark Cupboard in Perikis. Grenade and Concussive bombs are easy to make and very strong for dmg. Whenever u need to completely destroy an encounter open from stealth with an Implosion bomb or a Lightning bomb. From stealth u can throw several grenades before encounter starts, ending it right away basically.