Which sidekick would you most want to see become a full companion in a future Pillars game or DLC?

212 members have voted

1. 1. Which sidekick would you most want to see become a full companion in a future Pillars game or DLC?

• Fassina
    • Konstanten
    • Mirke
    • Rekke
    • Ydwin

Please compare companions in Pillars 1 to "companions" in Deadfire. It's already happened, and we're still paying for it.

Please replay Pillars 1. Apart from the 2 Avellone-companions no companion has more than 5 3 minutes of dialoge and and 1 shallow quest. While I really dislike the Deadfire-companions on a character-level, they certainly don't have less content than the ones from P1. Which doesn't mean it's much either.

I disagree. I'll leave it at that.

Aloth massages his temples, shaking his head.

Please compare companions in Pillars 1 to "companions" in Deadfire. It's already happened, and we're still paying for it.

Please replay Pillars 1. Apart from the 2 Avellone-companions no companion has more than 5 3 minutes of dialoge and and 1 shallow quest. While I really dislike the Deadfire-companions on a character-level, they certainly don't have less content than the ones from P1. Which doesn't mean it's much either.

not sure where i stand in this particular fence. though i guess you could say standing on a fence is never a good idea.

• Like 1

Yesterday, upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish he'd go away... -Hughes Mearns

So I haven't met him yet but based on what I've seen.(A lot because I don't tend to worry about spoilers. I get VERY into my roleplaying.)I would probably chose Rekke for a future game. Ydwin for DLC. I voted Ydwin since DLCs are closer to happening than a future game.(We already have three paid ones confirmed so...) Also Ydwin could give some very interesting insight on what we're doing/dealing with in Deadfire and so on. I just like her concept okay. Rekke seems amazing but Ydwin feels more like she would be best suited as a companion for THIS game.(Although I COULD see her in a future game too with you know what happens in this one.)

• Like 1

Please replay Pillars 1. Apart from the 2 Avellone-companions no companion has more than 5 3 minutes of dialoge and and 1 shallow quest. While I really dislike the Deadfire-companions on a character-level, they certainly don't have less content than the ones from P1. Which doesn't mean it's much either

Wasn't the implied point of the relationship system and the big selling point of PoE 2 the fact that companions will have *much more* content this time around? Sawyer himself went constantly on a record saying that "character arcs and even banters are a lot of work and writing companions is time-consuming" and so on. It really sounded like we'll be getting this very robust and complex relationship system with a lot of reactivity, expansive character quests and what have you - think KotOR 2 system up to 11. I won't dare to speak for everyone here, but that's not what I've got. Apparently the relationship system is very difficult to manage - to the point that adding new companions is nearly impossible (Sawyer's words, not mine), yet the advantages from it are miniscule (little dialogue and interaction between companions, very simple character quests) - if the system works at all. I really wish they applied a much simpler, yet efficient system for the companions - even linear one like on-timer conversations from BG2 would have been fine.

On the other hand we have sidekicks. It would be fine, if those buggers were some one-note characters with simple personalities that are added as an additional party option for the player - like Konstanten or Mirke. Yet here we have charaters like Ydwin and Rekke - in Ydwin's case it's quite obvious that's she's an unfinished full companion that Obsidian didn't have the budget to flesh out, yet added anyway.

I have no idea if Obsidian overstretched themselves, didn't think things through, ran out of budget, is the full voice acting to blame - but I don't think this situation we are here now is intended.

• Like 4

I think they simply were too ambitious with the companion system in this game and should have either not bothered with the relationship qualifiers or restricted it to the player. Sometimes the reason other games did it in x way is simply because it's better. Companions can interact in banter and tell you in dialogue to let you know how they feel about one another. There's no need to have them constantly approving and disapproving of stuff and it has a strong tendency to make them come across as superficial. Plus it would probably have worked better if they'd come up with a certain number of companion "opinions" and used them for all of them instead of customising them too much and giving the same thing different names, or subjecting certain companions to problematic opinions that are contradictory. Above all, it makes more sense if the PC is judged for what they do and say directly to companions, and less or not at all for what they say about stuff they did or to others. Having companions that hate or love you simply for cracking jokes just makes them feel slightly dim in my opinion, as it can involve them either ignoring terrible things just cos you are a laugh or totally disregarding a highly benevolent Watcher's actions for the same reason. Long story short, they made the companions complicated by introduciung an ambitious approval system which doesn't really work and probably ill reflects the effort put into it, and that time would have imo been better spent giving them more dialogue or adding more sidekick content.

• Like 7

nvAeseu.png

Well honestly the poll miss "none of them"

Can't understand the hype about Ydwin and Rekke.

I think Fassina could be funny in her way to became an archmage and kicking her former master in the ass. A little extra scene in the Nemrok (or dhat name the imp had) quest would be nice.

And Konstantin: how he could end in brothel? That could be an interesting story.

• Like 1

Wenn etwas auf facebook steht, dann muss es ja wahr sein! ;-)

Ydwin's story seems like stop in half way. So I think she is most likely to be a full companion.

But honestly, when I first meet her avatar, the desire to see her full story and make her as my partner has grow fast and fast.

I vote Michael Amott Rekke.

Ydwin's interesting too, though.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Gentle reminder to those wanting to romance Ydwin: she's physically dead. Dead. Like Batman's parents.

I'm saying this in a futile attempt to stop the inevitable crashing wave of the internet.

wait Batman's parents are dead spoilers mang

And hey, who are you to say that a consenting adult corpse can't find love? WHATS YOUR PROBLEM

02.gif

... I've actually been trying to find that comic for ages. Where'd you turn it up?

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

If companions get dulled down or removed it would kill franchise.

Simply companions are persons sounding board as you travel. Fun is how you change them and they change you over coarse of the journey. Sidekicks are ok but not same.

Personally if I was Obsidian I make more player choice for what you want them to be and have few very interesting companions. Yes I noticed POE 1 took most game resolve the companion quest in POE 2 most companion quest resolved very fast.

Probably be easier and better just allow player create class and subclass for each companion. I don't think players choosing will effect the way obsidian do each companion. This way person has full range and can choose who fits best and have them as they want them.

If not going have full companions I suggest doing it as single watcher character only, sidekicks really don't add enough or do enough. There just waste of time and effort honestly.

Insanecommander Mirke should tie you to cannon and fire it traitor!  :fdevil:  :biggrin:

Gentle reminder to those wanting to romance Ydwin: she's physically dead. Dead. Like Batman's parents.

I'm saying this in a futile attempt to stop the inevitable crashing wave of the internet.

Well....one of my characters is a Corpse-Eater, so...that works out. :dancing:

• Like 12

... I've actually been trying to find that comic for ages. Where'd you turn it up?

Typing "my parents are dead" in Google Images did the trick for me.

The full comic:

FxS6VqI.gif

Edited by Skazz
  • Like 2

hiyooooooooooo

• Like 5

hiyooooooooooo

i don't know if i should be shocked or applauding. or if i should just stop laughing first.

• Like 7

Yesterday, upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish he'd go away... -Hughes Mearns

i don't know if i should be shocked or applauding. or if i should just stop laughing first.

Definitely applause.

• Like 4

Wasn't the implied point of the relationship system and the big selling point of PoE 2 the fact that companions will have *much more* content this time around? Sawyer himself went constantly on a record saying that "character arcs and even banters are a lot of work and writing companions is time-consuming" and so on. It really sounded like we'll be getting this very robust and complex relationship system with a lot of reactivity, expansive character quests and what have you - think KotOR 2 system up to 11. I won't dare to speak for everyone here, but that's not what I've got.

I think they simply were too ambitious with the companion system in this game [...]

Long story short, they made the companions complicated by introduciung an ambitious approval system which doesn't really work and probably ill reflects the effort put into it, and that time would have imo been better spent giving them more dialogue or adding more sidekick content.

Instead, we ended up with THIS:

post-51558-0-57191500-1528034655_thumb.png

• Like 9

Wasn't the implied point of the relationship system and the big selling point of PoE 2 the fact that companions will have *much more* content this time around? Sawyer himself went constantly on a record saying that "character arcs and even banters are a lot of work and writing companions is time-consuming" and so on. It really sounded like we'll be getting this very robust and complex relationship system with a lot of reactivity, expansive character quests and what have you - think KotOR 2 system up to 11. I won't dare to speak for everyone here, but that's not what I've got.

I think they simply were too ambitious with the companion system in this game [...]

Long story short, they made the companions complicated by introduciung an ambitious approval system which doesn't really work and probably ill reflects the effort put into it, and that time would have imo been better spent giving them more dialogue or adding more sidekick content.

attachicon.gif1528008462825.png

So now were listing bugs and saying that reflects a cheapened, lessened companion system?

Edited by Katarack21
  • Like 2

I don't mind the sidekicks, but if the time spent implementing them could be used to further flesh out the existing companions and improve the disappointing relation system I wouldn't mind losing them. Can't have a story- and party-based RPG without a storied party, except if we're going the Icewind Dale route.

I prefer the interactions between the Deadfire companions (e.g. the "crisis conversations" when firing appropriately) to the often non-existant ones between PoE1 companions, but the relationship system is still largely arbitrary and silly: Aloth's approval of duty even when said duty goes in against his other beliefs, a couple of jokes making people love each other, etc. The way companions react to and interact with each other outside of the relationship system's done way better than the system those relationships are supposedly built upon, which can't be what the writers intended.

• Like 6

Just another "what the ****, Xoti?" moment.

• Like 4

So now were listing bugs and saying that reflects a cheapened, lessened companion system?

It is pretty funny tho.

• Like 6

That isn't a bug. That is the line that reflects the highest possible approval from Xoti. It's triggering in the right place. Someone just needed to do a pass to make sure that reaction made sense. :p

• Like 1

That isn't a bug. That is the line that reflects the highest possible approval from Xoti. It's triggering in the right place. Someone just needed to do a pass to make sure that reaction made sense. :p

They're on record as stating that there's a number of places where the reaction's don't make sense and asking people to report those so they can remove/fix them. In my mind, that counts as a bug.

• Like 4

The thing is, she'd definitely approve highly of someone properly putting the dead to rest. The problem is that they use "stock reactions" for certain levels of approval, which leads to this hilariously macabre reaction. If they'd have checked whether their reactions fit the circumstances, this wouldn't have happened.

• Like 9

How about all of them and more. The game has far too few companions to form a different group with similar setup each time. I'm going to go ahead and grab the BG series as a comparison yet again. In that series you have a multitude of characters with the same classes, but different alignment so you can pick your party around your playing style. This is much more rewarding. Of course it would also force more spoken parts, but yeah I think it is worth it. Give me three priests, three ciphers, three fighters and so on all with different background and drive and I'm all over that. I'm sure many of you would be. Replayability ahoy.

If they'd have checked whether their reactions fit the circumstances, this wouldn't have happened.

This. I *don't* call it a bug when it's something very obvious that the devs didn't have time to fix before release.

• Like 1