favorite and least favorite god(s) in deadfire?

Favorite/least favorite god(s)?   

197 members have voted

1. 1. Which god did yo like the most

2. 2. Which did you dislike the most

I really for the most part was not a huge fan of how the gods were handled in deadfire. I felt in the last game that they should have come up more and been more central I guess as to add more weight to the ending but in this one that's exactly what they did and I still had issues with it. It's like the writers want the player to hate them, their mysterious nature is mostly gone and some of them just really aren't as interesting as I hoped. Wael was the worst IMO.

That said I liked Berath at the start of the game and I like the way most of them looked with a few exceptions.

• Like 3

Abydon was awesome, as we knew he should be. Dude, where's my screentime?

Woedica was a huge bitch, which once again, was not a great surprise. 

The Pale Knight was largely up to her reputation, but overall seemed a bit petty for a goddess of detachment and loss. 
Magran was oddly defeatist, and not the shrewd tactician I'd hoped for.  The art department badly botched her and Hylea. 

Everyone else was OK, or the victim of minor nitpicks.

Edited by Parasol_Syndicate
  • Like 5

Magran's fire casts light in Dark Places...

Familiarity breeds contempt. The gods were too chummy and too everpresent, constantly making phone calls to my ship while my Watcher was trying to enjoy her Caribbean vacation. Obsidian should go ahead and exhaust the Engwithan gods storyline in the DLC and then move on to other subjects if they ever do a PoE 3.

• Like 12

Exoduss, on 14 Apr 2015 - 11:11 AM, said: 

also secret about hardmode with 6 man party is :  its a faceroll most of the fights you will Auto Attack mobs while lighting your spliff

I liked Wael the best in the first game, and liked his interactions here except for the tantrum over "revealing the gods secrets", but at least that fit his character. Not that much to say about him though.

Magran was...lackluster. I expected her to be at least somewhat more clever and strategic, not recklessly try to blow up Eothas again, then pretend as if defeat was preordained anyway when it fails.

Eothas fit his purview perfectly in the way only a pillars god could: show your faith in Kith as you kill them by the dozens since it'll save everyone by potentially dooming them.

Woedica was Woedica: a decently written petty old noblewoman who longs for "the old days", which is all I need to really dislike her.

Berath was done the best in my opinion, which is peculiar since we only dealt with one half of the dual god: The pallid knight really made an impression as a stoic, patient observer who may have more of a hand in events than it seems.

Rymrgand was great, especially in his realm. I don't like the fellow, but at least he actually feels threatening, unlike his impotent fellow gods.

Skaen, Hylea and Abydon didn't appear outside of the divine council on my playthrough, so not much to say on them. Hylea at least had her appearance

in Ishiza's soul

, which weirded me out enough to immediately cut it short.

Galawain felt odd in his interaction in Cilath mor: Is the god of natural selection really protecting his favorite sea beasts from disappearing here?

Ondra never acknowledged my moon godlike, which i'm still salty about (pun intended). Seemed done well enough, especially involving Tekehu.

All in all, most of them needed some more involvement in-game, since they come across as an impotent bunch of squabbling politicians stuck in their party line. Hardly any of them does anything, and even then those actions usually don't end up meaning anything anyway.

Edited by Taevyr
  • Like 6

Skaen, Hylea and Abydon didn't appear outside of the divine council on my playthrough, so not much to say on them. Hylea at least had her appearance

in Ishiza's soul

Hylea turns up in another appearance in a similar manner:

She also watches you from a book in either the VTC boss' office or Ezzalia's office, I forget which.  I think the VTC.  If you have a high enough perception you'll see an eye surrounded by feathers, like Pallegina's, staring at you from the cover of a book on the desk, and it's clearly a living eye.  No one else notices and if you try to point it out the person you're talking to you thinks you're crazy.

• Like 9

in Ishiza's soul

Hylea turns up in another appearance in a similar manner:

She also watches you from a book in either the VTC boss' office or Ezzalia's office, I forget which.  I think the VTC.  If you have a high enough perception you'll see an eye surrounded by feathers, like Pallegina's, staring at you from the cover of a book on the desk, and it's clearly a living eye.  No one else notices and if you try to point it out the person you're talking to you thinks you're crazy.

Was that her? The feather part seems to imply so, but why on earth would she be spying from a book? That seems way more up Wael's alley.

• Like 3

I disliked them all, Eothas included. I voted for him as my "favourite" just because I loathed him the least.

To me all gods were just bunch of immature, power hungry and scared kids given too much authority and strength. I wished them all the worst and I'm happy to know that they will perish in decades from now. Good work Eothas, good work!

Also, I loved Nemnok as my pet, he was soooo cute ^^

EDIT --> one more thing. They were so impotent and powerless. And those phone calls - geez how I hated it. I felt just like in the meeting at work with a bunch of halfwits and twats playing high menagement roles and being scared the hell out of when something went really really wrong.

Edited by Kirk
  • Like 4

The owls are not what they seem.

Favorite: Rymrgand

I have a very bleak outlook on life and he's the closest to something I can relate to.

Least favorite:

• Magran, for she's a petty, arrogant prick.
  • Skaen, for he's a scheming backstabber.
  • Woedica, for her opinion of herself is too damn high.
  • Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I liked Wael the best in the first game, and liked his interactions here except for the tantrum over "revealing the gods secrets", but at least that fit his character. Not that much to say about him though.

I just found the whole tantrum thing ruined the character. Like I get it, the point of Wael is to be interested in keeping the secrets of the gods and that is what all this mystery stuff is really about but Wael doesn't actually do anything. Woedica had the leaden key, Magran had Magran's teeth, Ondra had a moon but Wael just has a tantrum and steals all of your scrolls if you didn't do a quest the way they wanted.

I didn't hate the conference call scenes like a lot of people did, they were interesting to me but I think Wael and several of the other gods should not have been involved in these scenes.

Edited by Mikeymoonshine
  • Like 4

I just found the whole tantrum thing ruined the character. Like I get it, the point of Wael is to be interested in keeping the secrets of the gods and that is what all this mystery stuff is really about but Wael doesn't actually do anything. Woedica had the leaden key, Magran had Magran's teeth, Ondra had a moon but Wael just has a tamtrum and steals all of your scrolls if you didn't do a quest the way they wanted.

I didn't hate the conference call scenes like a lot of people did, they were interesting to me but I think Wael and several of the other gods should not have been involved in these scenes.

For me he appeared in the telescope in Bekarna's folly

after beating concelhaut

. It fit him quite well, though it could be because I multiclassed as part Priest of Wael.

• Like 2

after beating concelhaut

. It fit him quite well, though it could be because I multiclassed as part Priest of Wael.

That was such a perfect Wael moment, that I couldn't help but grin. 

Magran's fire casts light in Dark Places...

I just found the whole tantrum thing ruined the character. Like I get it, the point of Wael is to be interested in keeping the secrets of the gods and that is what all this mystery stuff is really about but Wael doesn't actually do anything. Woedica had the leaden key, Magran had Magran's teeth, Ondra had a moon but Wael just has a tamtrum and steals all of your scrolls if you didn't do a quest the way they wanted.

after beating concelhaut

Nah pretty sure that happens for everyone, but there is no incentive or reason to do what Wael wants there. Galawain and Rymrgand make simmilar appearences that basically boil down to the same thing and at least try to make a case for you doing what they want. When Wael asks you to scatter the souls that is at least interesting, makes you wonder what would happen if you did that, makes you wonder why Wael wants you to do that ect.

after beating concelhaut

Nah pretty sure that happens for everyone, but there is no incentive or reason to do what Wael wants there. Galawain and Rymrgand make simmilar appearences that basically boil down to the same thing and at least try to make a case for you doing what they want. When Wael asks you to scatter the souls that is at least interesting, makes you wonder what would happen if you did that, makes you wonder why Wael wants you to do that ect.

If Wael made a case for why he's asking you not to look into the stars too much during his appearance, it'd go against his point: keeping mysteries intact and creating new ones from the unveiling of old ones. The souls could simply be the creation of a mystery even the watcher doesn't know the answer to, which was appealing enough to me. The stars probably have something going on with them, but we can hardly expect Wael to explain it to us.

• Like 1

after beating concelhaut

If Wael made a case for why he's asking you not to look into the stars too much during his appearance, it'd go against his point: keeping mysteries intact and creating new ones from the unveiling of old ones. The souls could simply be the creation of a mystery even the watcher doesn't know the answer to, which was appealing enough to me. The stars probably have something going on with them, but we can hardly expect Wael to explain it to us.

I'm not saying explain it to us, i'm saying give me a reason to not just ignore you. Rhmrgand claims if you don't tell the animancers what he said he will deal with them himself, Galawain appeals to his status as a god and also promices rewards. Wael is just the same thing, cuz mystery. It worked better in POE because you didn't know wael was a construct based on a lie. "don't look into this discovery that every wizard is suddenly interested in because mystery" says the robot pretending to be god who gets upset when someone spills details about that. It just falls flat for me.

• Like 1

Well, here’s my crackpot theory on this:

Personally, I feel like the weirdly overindulgent god cameos are setups for future DLC material. I have a hunch these shorter DLC adventures may revolve around individual gods, and will be direct continuations of quests already present in the game.

Consider:

-Rymrgand plainly states that he is not done with you (obvious setup for Beast of Winter)

-Galawain’s personal involvement in the monstrous engineered sea beasties of Deadfire may hint at a part in Seeker, Slayer, Survivor (a combat-themed DLC revolving around facing “Eora’s most skilled and savage”)

-Wael’s presence in the observatory/Arkemyr quest meshes well with the Forgotten Sanctum DLC (and the blurb confirms it will revolve around both eldritch secrets and the archmage council)

Too much of a coincidence, no?

• Like 14

​Nemnok, because his boss fight was fun.

Abydon took a meteor to the face for the sake of kith, so he's alright in my book. Eothas would be okay if his plans didn't involve starting wars or potentially causing the apocalypse.

Woedica is my least favorite, because she's just a bitter old crone shaking fists impotently while saying nasty things. When she's not trying to devour the souls of infants to become relevant again. Rymrgand would make an interesting antagonist, because he comes across as fairly menacing and competent. The other gods are intimidated by him and he figured out Eothas' plan quickly.

• Like 3

Favourite: Nemnok, of course. I even agree with his goal of freeing imps from servitude.

Least favourite I picked Woedica, but I pretty much dislike most of them. Abydon is okay, I don't hate Berath or Hylea and I liked Wael in 1. Deadfire Wael has nothing going for it besides that it looks epic.

nvAeseu.png

Deadfire Wael has nothing going for it besides that it looks epic.

It's not supposed to look like that though. The text says that Wael's silhouette should be kith, not some weird floating... whatever that thingy was. 

But I liked the way he "talked" to us in the observatory, writing messages in the stars and using the moon for a smile. Gave me the Cheshire cat vibe. 

• Like 2

Deadfire Wael has nothing going for it besides that it looks epic.

It's not supposed to look like that though. The text says that Wael's silhouette should be kith, not some weird floating... whatever that thingy was. 

But I liked the way he "talked" to us in the observatory, writing messages in the stars and using the moon for a smile. Gave me the Cheshire cat vibe. 

Wael has multiple aspects but it seems like there was a 1 painting per god rule for those scenes (probably a budget thing). Wael's mass of floating eye's appearence is referenced in the convo after Magrans teeth. You are just supposed to imagine the rest, like Berath was described to shift between both aspects before settleing on the Pallid Knight but there is only a painting of the Knight. I guess it's better than POE 1 where there was nothing at all to look at and it just described what the watcher saw when speaking to the gods.

In fact the entry about wael says they have no consistant appearence.

Edited by Mikeymoonshine
  • Like 2