It's hard to say....

Deadfire is much more open and less focused than Tyranny. Tyranny almost feels board-game-ish at times.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

@Mikeymoonshine  First yes I had heard to that they where thinking of stratery game. I agree not what I want either thats as person loves play stratery games.

One things for me about tyranny which was great hook at making me want see tyranny 2 was fact we never meet Kyros the over lord. I want meet this Kyros and kick its butt.

@casper I actually still have ssi panzer general 3d  games and panzer general 2.Curious did you try panzer Corps?

@syphonhail  I like Obsidian try most things I enjoy good crpg. Shame never got make KOTOR 3 to wanted see where that was leading. I know there MMO for that but not same. I totally love see a martial art cprg. Yeah we did have Jade Empire which was great but no 2nd part and fighting was bit to basic but story was great.

So yes so much that could be done would be amazing have range of franchises keep us all happy.

• Like 1

I totally love see a martial art cprg. Yeah we did have Jade Empire which was great but no 2nd part and fighting was bit to basic but story was great.

So yes so much that could be done would be amazing have range of franchises keep us all happy.

The sheer range of different types of RPG Obsidian has made is actually pretty astounding. From Star Wars to a martial-arts RPG to a freaking *spy thriller* RPG, to an Iron Age set in a world where the evil overlod has already won, to post-apocalyptic punk and even South Park rpg.

It's really quite impressive when you look at it overall.

• Like 4

@Mikeymoonshine  First yes I had heard to that they where thinking of stratery game. I agree not what I want either thats as person loves play stratery games.

One things for me about tyranny which was great hook at making me want see tyranny 2 was fact we never meet Kyros the over lord. I want meet this Kyros and kick its butt.

@casper I actually still have ssi panzer general 3d  games and panzer general 2.Curious did you try panzer Corps?

@syphonhail  I like Obsidian try most things I enjoy good crpg. Shame never got make KOTOR 3 to wanted see where that was leading. I know there MMO for that but not same. I totally love see a martial art cprg. Yeah we did have Jade Empire which was great but no 2nd part and fighting was bit to basic but story was great.

i've played the original panzer general as well as the rest of ssi's 5-star line up (allied general, pacific general, star general, fantasy general), i've played panzer general 2 & 3, and panzer general 3d, i've played panzer commander... not sure i've heard of panzer corps? i'll have to look that up.

---edit

did a quick look up of panzer corps, looks promising. 

---edit again

i got into those old book case games (battle of the bulge to name one) at about the same time i was deep into d&d, i guess i was 8 or there abouts? then my dad sent me/us a little rinky-dinky hp desktop first time i'd seen windows 3.1, panzer general was one of the first pc games i ever played. 

Edited by Casper
  • Like 1

Yesterday, upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish he'd go away... -Hughes Mearns

i've played the original panzer general as well as the rest of ssi's 5-star line up (allied general, pacific general, star general, fantasy general), i've played panzer general 2 & 3, and panzer general 3d, i've played panzer commander... not sure i've heard of panzer corps? i'll have to look that up.

only played panzer general from 2 onwards. But did really enjoy still play them all.

As for panzer corps its modern version of panzer general and I very enjoy it gog have it and all DLCs cheap currently. 

Panzer corps

Afrika corps

Russi corps

39-45 as geman

Allied corp 42-45

If very like that type game might also enjoy Order of battle world war 2

Edited

I would probably started with those but didn't get computer till later in life. I hope you will enjoy. Have fun.

Edited by Stephen Unsworth-Mitchell

only played panzer general from 2 onwards. But did really enjoy still play them all.

As for panzer corps its modern version of panzer general and I very enjoy it gog have it and all DLCs cheap currently. 

Panzer corps

Afrika corps

Russi corps

39-45 as geman

Allied corp 42-45

If very like that type game might also enjoy Order of battle world war 2

i'll have to keep my eyes open next time i have some spare cash.

---edit

looks like i've derailed yet another thread *sigh*

Edited by Casper
  • Like 1

Yesterday, upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish he'd go away... -Hughes Mearns

I didn't enjoy Tyranny at all. I felt like the game was way too short for all the lore, companions and items in it and was glad when I finished it. I think I backstabbed everyone cos they all sucked, but I'm not entirely sure.

• Like 1

nvAeseu.png

I didn't enjoy Tyranny at all. I felt like the game was way too short for all the lore, companions and items in it and was glad when I finished it. I think I backstabbed everyone cos they all sucked, but I'm not entirely sure.

you have a right to your opinion... however i don't see how you got there. but, whatever. variety, life, spices etc.

--typo

Edited by Casper

Tyranny had some unique things , which I did enjoy (even if I screwed the 1st time) .Like the companions system...like make them fear you or loyal would unlock x ability . Also...while I like the companions of deadfire....

I like seriouse companions . And seriouse isn't whiny !!! they are 2 differents thing ! 

And the story was good . 

Sorry , but as far as I can tell : open world (do whatever) usually hurt the story . Haven't seen a game that could balance the 2 without one or the other taking a hit . 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

Oh I wasn't bashing strategy games, I just think it would be a waste to turn a crpg ip into a strategy game. A strategy game spin off in the same world could work but instrad of continuing the series? That just seems wrong to me. Reminds me of Bioware turning all their IPs into shallow sandboxes and multpiplayer focused online affairs. Sandboxes and MP games are not bad but Bioware is ruining what was actually good about their ips in the hopes of making more money.

• Like 2

What does it say about me if the guy I identified with most was Lantry?

I don't know if I should make an old man joke or a druggy joke. Flip a coin and assume I said one of them.

Well, that's charitable either way. I assumed people would go with "sycophantic coward".

I don't know if I should make an old man joke or a druggy joke. Flip a coin and assume I said one of them.

why pick just one, when you can use both and apply twice the damage? or, combine them, there has to be an old hippy joke someone's been saving somewhere?

I'll take "shady lore (and ink) addict" for 100 points, please.

Though that description fits me a bit too much for comfort, except for the ink.

Edited by Taevyr
  • Like 1

Well, that's charitable either way. I assumed people would go with "sycophantic coward".

All of the companions are cowards, though. Lantry and Eb both switch sides when faced with overwhelming power, Verse is *terrified* of being normal, Kills-In-Shadow would rather be stabbed to death by Disfavored than live without a pack, and Barik is so scared of being hurt that he's already started down the path of being the Archon of Cover-My-Ass.

Except for Sirin. Sirin has ****ing *balls*.

• Like 5

I totally love see a martial art cprg. Yeah we did have Jade Empire which was great but no 2nd part and fighting was bit to basic but story was great.

I would pay an astounding amount of money for an Obsidian-made wuxia crpg.

I mean I'd have to steal it first, but that doesn't seem so hard.

• Like 4

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Definitely isn't just you OP. 

I was actually kind of let down when Tyranny always had morally good choices at just about every point.  I never felt like I was a "bad guy" in that game.  Some of the factions weren't that evil either.  The Disfavored, while being militaristic to say the least, aren't bad guys.  Graven Ashe legitimately cares for his men like a family, and they even started off by trying to rebel against Kyros.  Then there is that other group, that while being a little dumb, are also fairly good guys.  Course there is always Nerat.

Deadfire on the other hand... uh there are definitely points where this no morally sound choice.  While I never felt like a bad guy, I definitely felt like I was often working with bad guys.

• Like 1

I was actually kind of let down when Tyranny always had morally good choices at just about every point.  I never felt like I was a "bad guy" in that game.  Some of the factions weren't that evil either.  The Disfavored, while being militaristic to say the least, aren't bad guys.  Graven Ashe legitimately cares for his men like a family, and they even started off by trying to rebel against Kyros. 

Oh yeah, they are as good guys as the wehrmacht was. Of course, Graven Ashe cared for his men and he was this father figure, but apart from that he was also militaristic bastard who easily condemned his daughter to death, and not to mention that northern racist/fascists stance "we Northeners are the best, the rest are good to be slaves at best".

So yeah, very good and kind people ;)

OTOH I chose them as my allies in my Tyranny walkthrough, so ho am I to judge.

• Like 2

The owls are not what they seem.

I would pay an astounding amount of money for an Obsidian-made wuxia crpg.

I mean I'd have to steal it first, but that doesn't seem so hard.

takemymoney.jpg

• Like 2

The owls are not what they seem.

Then there is that other group, that while being a little dumb, are also fairly good guys.

When the Scarlet Chorus takes a village, they do 'the culling'. Every able-bodied man, woman, and child is given a weapon and told to murder their family or be murdered by the Chorus. Those who survive, join the Chorus.

The Chorus is known to loot, murder, and rape anybody they feel like during the conquering stage prior to the culling. Kyro's Peace doesn't cover people who aren't part of the Empire, so there are *no* rules limiting what they can do to the people their conquering--and you find out this is a thing that happens very early on, if you have the Scarlet Chorus take Lethians Crossing and you get the line "The Scarlet Chorus flooded Lethian's Crossing with overeager and undisciplined recruits. In the first few days of occupation, settlers suffered under rampant theft, murder, rape, and arson."

I don't know how you could think the Scarlet Chorus are "fairly good guys". It's literally a horde of murderous, rapist thugs handed weapons and shoved at Kyros's enemies.

• Like 3

Then there is that other group, that while being a little dumb, are also fairly good guys.

When the Scarlet Chorus takes a village, they do 'the culling'. Every able-bodied man, woman, and child is given a weapon and told to murder their family or be murdered by the Chorus. Those who survive, join the Chorus.

The Chorus is known to loot, murder, and rape anybody they feel like during the conquering stage prior to the culling. Kyro's Peace doesn't cover people who aren't part of the Empire, so there are *no* rules limiting what they can do to the people their conquering--and you find out this is a thing that happens very early on, if you have the Scarlet Chorus take Lethians Crossing and you get the line "The Scarlet Chorus flooded Lethian's Crossing with overeager and undisciplined recruits. In the first few days of occupation, settlers suffered under rampant theft, murder, rape, and arson."

I don't know how you could think the Scarlet Chorus are "fairly good guys". It's literally a horde of murderous, rapist thugs handed weapons and shoved at Kyros's enemies.

and their leader..didn't he steal soul or something too ?

And think the other 'blue' were bad as well...just don't recall what it was . 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

i'm not saying i agree with the practice or anything, but marauders have been a staple in warfare from pre-history up to the american civil war. and they're still seen in small numbers and isolated conflicts or even a part of mainstay modern military forces in a diluted form (such as unrestricted warfare), such measures are still in use as an acceptable modern military doctrine. 

--edit reworked some dialogue (getting tired i guess) 

Edited by Casper

i'm not saying i agree with the practice or anything, but marauders have been a staple in warfare from pre-history up to the american civil war. and they're still seen in small numbers and isolated conflicts or even a part of mainstay modern military forces in a diluted form (such as unrestricted warfare), it's still in use as an acceptable modern military doctrine. 

To some degree, but looting from civilians, random murder of civilians, and *especially* rape of anybody--civilian or military--are all considered war crimes by international law.

To some degree, but looting from civilians, random murder of civilians, and *especially* rape of anybody--civilian or military--are all considered war crimes by international law.

i just think it's a tad... tilted to judge the evil/good of a military or a military doctrine using modern measurements when these actions take place in an iron age world. things change, values change. etc.

Edited by Casper