Considering Tyranny was a game about Team Evil winning, i was not nearly as conflicted over the choices i had to make in that game versus the ones in Deadfire.  I'm still going though my first game, but i still have major decisions pending because my character is very uncomfortable with them all. Is it just me?

yeah , all the factions have that whole 'I like this about them..but on the other hand they do this real evil thing' . Then you go to the next faction and it's pretty much the same .  :lol:

Kinda feel like the witcher 3 on that front . Where in the end , it isn't about choosing the good or bad faction or guy , but the one that has the less bad things going for them . 

Also..Tyranny had that whole lie and make blue hate red and laugh you ass off as they go at it , which I just Loveeeeeeed so much . Wish we could do the same here  :shifty:

• Like 2
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

I ended up choosing Royal Deadfire in my game, but I wasn't exactly happy with that choice. It seems like the Native Deadfire faction (I can't remember their name atm) is the most moral choice? But I have done their quest for the achievement, and what they ask you to do isn't that great either.

Bah, I want the Yes Man option. Be my own faction.

I ended up choosing Royal Deadfire in my game, but I wasn't exactly happy with that choice. It seems like the Native Deadfire faction (I can't remember their name atm) is the most moral choice? But I have done their quest for the achievement, and what they ask you to do isn't that great either.

Huana are the natives (and they're arseholes too)

And you totally can be your own Yes Man, you can just not ally with ANYONE and do it alone. For better or worse.

When you set out to write Team Evil But Protagonists, you typically wind up with some protagonists who are designated as villains for one reason or another.

On the other hand, when you set out to write people, you tend to wind up with people.

Funny how one of those is a lot more textured and complex than the other.

• Like 2

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Well, there's the rub. You can't support the natives, only the system of power they've been subjected to. 

Huana execute hundreds of Huana, to support the rule of the Huana, and to keep outside influences from corrupting the Huana.

You can only support the natives by giving them new governments they don't want.

Edited by Parasol_Syndicate
  • Like 1

Magran's fire casts light in Dark Places...

Well, there's the rub. You can't support the natives, only the system of power they've been subjected to. 

Huana execute hundreds of Huana, to support the rule of the Huana, and to keep outside influences from corrupting the Huana.

You can only support the natives by giving them new governments they don't want.

I think this is a good point.

If anything, a Huana playthrough is really about supporting the Kahanga royal family more than anything else. Certain non-Huana faction ending slides make it clear that the natives thrive even as the crown dwindles.

Edited by Skazz
  • Like 2

Tyranny was about been evil so wasn't that conflict within person be good person, without that we just make choices based where we wanted to head.

POE games are normal good vs evil so most people try to do right/good thing. Think way obsidian actually set up end for each faction was mistake. I think it was mistake because all to black, when should been more morally gray. If they had been moral gray would of been more difficult to choose a side. I think most people for a save for POE 3 will choose to sail it alone. 

Honestly if watcher told his/her story only be one story left to tell. How the little people all got annoyed at no one caring and they all rise up and over throw the gods, factions and everyone that was holding them back/down. Why cause POE 1 and POE 2 not one group really cared about the people, especially not gods. All having happily killed lots little people with not one care in world.

Wonder what the chances POE 3 we all be shouting  Vive la revolution  :cat: 

I like Tyranny and Deadfire considerably more than POE1. Both had far better stories, pacing and gameplay. 

As for Deadfire vs Tyranny thats tough.  Both are exceptional. I would say

Tyranny Better:

Setting/Plot
Magic System

Factions

Story Choice Impact
World Building

NPCs

Deadfire Better:

Companions

Exploration

Class System

Combat

Side Quests

Character  Creation

• Like 1

in tyranny i played and replayed my first character something like four times. did a few more playthroughs with other characters, but still preferred my first character. loved that game.

• Like 5

Yesterday, upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish he'd go away... -Hughes Mearns

I like Tyranny and Deadfire considerably more than POE1. Both had far better stories, pacing and gameplay. 

As for Deadfire vs Tyranny thats tough.  Both are exceptional. I would say

Tyranny Better:

Setting/Plot

Magic System

Factions

Story Choice Impact

World Building

NPCs

Deadfire Better:

Companions

Exploration

Class System

Combat

Side Quests

Character  Creation

I'm replaying POE1 now, and it's still a damn good game. It still feels more in depth and complex than Deadfire and Tyranny. And while I like the brighter colors in Deadfire, the art style in POE 1 is pretty damn good and superior in a few areas.

Tyranny was a good game, and I did enjoy just throwing spells out left and right. I enjoyed my first play through, but still haven't gotten around to playing it again despite buying one of the DLC's. I may play it after getting my fill of Deadfire.

Deadfire feels like the better game. Probably because I like the class system better for characters. The world of Tyranny was an interesting world though, and it's kind of sad we'll probably never see a sequel to that game. There were a lot of interesting things in that game.

• Like 3

I'm replaying POE1 now, and it's still a damn good game. It still feels more in depth and complex than Deadfire and Tyranny. And while I like the brighter colors in Deadfire, the art style in POE 1 is pretty damn good and superior in a few areas.

Tyranny was a good game, and I did enjoy just throwing spells out left and right. I enjoyed my first play through, but still haven't gotten around to playing it again despite buying one of the DLC's. I may play it after getting my fill of Deadfire.

Deadfire feels like the better game. Probably because I like the class system better for characters. The world of Tyranny was an interesting world though, and it's kind of sad we'll probably never see a sequel to that game. There were a lot of interesting things in that game.

i would have really liked to poke around tyranny 2 a bit, i have to admit.

Yesterday, upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish he'd go away... -Hughes Mearns

i would have really liked to poke around tyranny 2 a bit, i have to admit.

Especially since the ending of Tyranny is the perfect set-up for a sequel, and there's only a small part of the world involved in it. Not to mention I can't think of any other fantasy RPG's set during the early Iron age, which combined with the magic system and lore makes for an amazingly unique setting.

For a hypothetical Tyranny 2, an idea would be a game set in the Tyranny world in which you end up becoming an archon, but the type of archon (e.g. war, fire, fecund fluids) depends on your choices and actions throughout the game. It'd be terribly difficult to pull off properly though, not to mention the options would be quite restricted.

Deadfire still needs a lot of work before it's finished, but I definitely prefer tyranny's story and C&C. Which is a shame, considering how tyranny was a smaller project and remained relatively unnoticed among the other new CRPG's

Edited by Taevyr

Issue with tyranny 2 not number copies sold. Its fact that obsidian don't own rights. 

Owner of rights has mentioned they willing to do something with tyranny idea but not an rpg or tyranny 2 as we know it. If obsidian agee to make tyranny 2 with owner of the rights they would have to follow rights holders wishes and obsidian prefer having more power to do what they want with a game.

So doesn't sound good news but we never know both companies might find some middle ground and we might see a tyranny 2, as for me hope so I very enjoyed tyranny and want see where it leads.

I very like both POE games will back POE 3. I have to admit I back tyranny 2 in an instant if carrys on from first game.

For me there no tyranny vs POE games both so different and enjoyable I want more both.

• Like 3

Yeah I read something about it maybe becoming a strategy game or something, no thankyou. :no:

It was never going to be a big seller but I feel like it would have done a lot better if it wasn't so half baked and it actually had good marketing. Like don't get me wrong it's a good game but you can tell it was made on a small budget.

Issue with tyranny 2 not number copies sold. Its fact that obsidian don't own rights. 

Which is a shame. I would drop $250 on Tyranny 2 Collectors Edition in a heartbeat. 

Im just hoping a Post Apocalyptic CRPG gets made by Obsidian. People always remember Baldur's Gate/Planescape Torment. But my fave CRPG and Top 5 GOAT will always be Fallout 2. Black Isle Studios made that game and Obsidian rose from those ashes. They could base it on GURPS like it was originally intended.

It would be perfect too since Josh wants to work on something different.

Which is a shame. I would drop $250 on Tyranny 2 Collectors Edition in a heartbeat. 

Im just hoping a Post Apocalyptic CRPG gets made by Obsidian. People always remember Baldur's Gate/Planescape Torment. But my fave CRPG and Top 5 GOAT will always be Fallout 2. Black Isle Studios made that game and Obsidian rose from those ashes. They could base it on GURPS like it was originally intended.

It would be perfect too since Josh wants to work on something different.

i'd be more than ok with this. sadly i missed fallout 1 & 2 so it would be nice to run my fingers over something similar but modernized, technologically speaking. and with the obsidian label on it, i find it even harder to resist.

In Tyranny, it's pretty obvious that some factions are just straight out evil and others straight out ...not-mustache-twirling evil.

In Deadfire, nobody is downright 'evil', but everyone's a Gaun-darn arsehole.

I would disagree. I mean, in Tyranny, if you *aren't* going with the Rebels or for yourself, your choice is basically between a horde of rapist murderers, or full-on Nazi's. Both of them seemed straight-out evil to me.

In Tyranny, it's pretty obvious that some factions are just straight out evil and others straight out ...not-mustache-twirling evil.

I would disagree. I mean, in Tyranny, if you *aren't* going with the Rebels or for yourself, your choice is basically between a horde of rapist murderers, or full-on Nazi's. Both of them seemed straight-out evil to me.

the disfavored didn't really seem like the nazi party to me, though i guess in retrospect not that far off the mark, however, i guess your comparison was more of the disfavored being the Waffen-SS? that fits better imho. 

---edit

and yes, as a kid i did cut my strategy teeth on the panzer general games in the early 90's.

Edited by Casper

the disfavored didn't really seem like the nazi party to me, though i guess in retrospect not that far off the mark, however, i guess your comparison was more of the disfavored being the Waffen-SS? that fits better imho. 

To some extent, except that the Waffen--SS would actually accept volunteers and conscripts, where as the Disfavored will not take anybody who is not from from the North and preferably descended from one of Graven Ashe's original soldiers. Several times it's mentioned that one of the Disfavored's favorite tactics is actually to roll in, conquer the area, and if the place is small/unimportant enough round up everybody and just slaughter them.

Barik in particularly is super open about the idea that everybody who is not a Northman is inherently inferior in every metric and can never perform up to the standards of the North.

• Like 4

To some extent, except that the Waffen--SS would actually accept volunteers and conscripts, where as the Disfavored will not take anybody who is not from from the North and preferably descended from one of Graven Ashe's original soldiers. Several times it's mentioned that one of the Disfavored's favorite tactics is actually to roll in, conquer the area, and if the place is small/unimportant enough round up everybody and just slaughter them.

Barik in particularly is super open about the idea that everybody who is not a Northman is inherently inferior in every metric and can never perform up to the standards of the North.

to the best of my recollection the Schutzstaffel (SS) didn't accept non-germans/ or those germans with "jewish features", unless in the latter case there was a large amount of data supporting their lineage.

---edit

i should note that in anther thread i mentioned back in high-school i wrote a well researched paper on fascism, nazi germany was a fairly large chunk of that, and combined with my love of panzer general, and similar games from ssi it stuck a bit better then most of the assignments i did in highschool. 

Edited by Casper

to the best of my recollection the Schutzstaffel (SS) didn't accept non-germans/ or those germans with "jewish features", unless in the latter case there was a large amount of data supporting their lineage.

---edit

i should note that in anther thread i mentioned back in high-school i wrote a well researched paper on fascism, nazi germany was a fairly large chunk of that, and combined with my love of panzer general, and similar games from ssi it stuck a bit better then most of the assignments i did in highschool. 

The volunteers and conscripts weren't considered "part of the SS" but were called "foreign nationals serving under the command of the SS". It's the defining difference between an "SS Division" and a "Division of the SS". Regardless, their were entire units of volunteers and conscripts of non-German origin serving militarily for/under/in/however the SS. However you want to slice it, it's farther than the Disfavored are willing to go--the only non-Northman they'll take are menial laborers they treat like slaves.

Edited by Katarack21
  • Like 1

---edit

The volunteers and conscripts weren't considered "part of the SS" but were called "foreign nationals serving under the command of the SS". It's the defining difference between an "SS Division" and a "Division of the SS". Regardless, their were entire units of volunteers and conscripts of non-German origin serving militarily for/under/in/however the SS. However you want to slice it, it's farther than the Disfavored are willing to go--the only non-Northman they'll take are menial laborers they treat like slaves.

i hadn't heard that before, odd me being a bit of a WWII enthusiast myself and all. but, i'll take your word for it.

• Like 1

The volunteers and conscripts weren't considered "part of the SS" but were called "foreign nationals serving under the command of the SS". It's the defining difference between an "SS Division" and a "Division of the SS". 

Irrespective of politics, this is the most German thing I've ever heard. 

Edited by Parasol_Syndicate
  • Like 3

Magran's fire casts light in Dark Places...