Play now or wait for patching master thread

100% wait

I 100% your 100% good sir.

I myself am waiting until they actually finish the game, before supporting them with a finished price tag.

Things didn't work on launch (literally - level scaling flat didn't work for example), there was alot of bugs and performance issues, the higher difficulties weren't actually balanced - having to be done as we speak post release.

Etc.

It was/is a mess that they pushed out the door because business and completely relied on hype and the gaming communities general impatience, to sell it either way while they still worked on finishing it and getting a much bigger and free QA/beta test pool.

Not something i personally want to support/encourage.

Edited by whiskiz
  • Like 1

100% wait

I myself am waiting until they actually finish the game, before supporting them with a finished price tag.

Things didn't work on launch (literally - level scaling flat didn't work for example), there was alot of bugs and performance issues, the higher difficulties weren't actually balanced - having to be done as we speak post release.

Etc.

It was/is a mess that they pushed out the door because business and completely relied on hype and the gaming communities general impatience, to sell it either way while they still worked on finishing it and getting a much bigger and free QA/beta test pool.

While I completely sympathize with your criticism, I still think any serious cRPG fan should support Obsidian with a full price purchase (if you can afford it). They proved with first game that they will fix the issues, but the fact is they are making ambitious projects, trying to overdeliver despite relatively limited resources, in a complex genre that has been abandoned by AAA publishers.

They also don't try to nickle-and-dime with cosmetic DLC or microtransactions which are extremely common in RPGs these days. For those reasons and for the abundant quality content in this game, I believe they deserve the financial support of the core gamers, even though I agree, the game was released in an unfinished state (and it still is even now).

The fact is, no one else besides maybe Larian (DOS is similar but not exactly the same genre) is making quality games of epic scope in this genre anymore. It seems like sales figures haven't been exactly stellar, so they need all the support they can get, especially at full price, if there is to be any hope of seeing another game like this any time soon.

That said, if you haven't started your game yet and have the patience to wait a bit longer, I think you will have a much better experience in about a week or 2, once they released the first major patch. Besides the difficulty issues (which are alleviated somewhat by mods), there are still game breaking issues like bugged saves which won't load (I myself lost over 20 hours of gameplay on my 2nd playthrough).

TL;DR buy now to support Obsidian and wait until the first patch for a better experience.

Edited by GuyNice
  • Like 4

I say get it and give it a go and find out for yourself. If nothing else run a game to get used to how things are different, especially spell casting, with a throw away party and not your PC you want to import.

It is not in bad shape at the moment in terms of the two concerns you mentioned.

In terms of difficulty, if you are a Veteran or PotD player, there are several who have said it isn't too bad at the beginning but gets more noticeable once you get up to level 10-ish. I would think that should bide your time until the next patch easily.

Opinions are all over the place. Find out for yourself. YMMV.

Joe

Give a try, it will take some restart before being comfortable with a class/multiclass you like.

There aren't game breaking bugs, the problem with the difficulty, being too much easy, kicks out at lvl 9-10, before that time you have already restarted 10 times, at least :p

Have fun!

Edited by mammasaura
  • Like 1

CzSyX91.jpg

I’ve enjoyed it immensely despite the various bugs and the difficulty issues. Will enjoy repeat play more once Veteran/PotD difficulty is tuned and bugs are fixed? Yes. Do I regret starting on launch day? Not at all. It’s a great game that needs some polish. PoE 1 didn’t come out perfect either, and look how good it was by the end.

I vote for getting it now and starting it either now or possibly after the “early June” 1.1 patch at the latest.

Edited by Epimetreus
  • Like 2

Try it out. Just playing with the multi class system is fun or making characters. I've completed the game twice and I'm waiting for patches and dlc to play anymore. It's not horrible with the current bugs and there is some really funny parts. I would play it through once anyway. There is mods too to max enjoyment and fix some current issues.

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2

Atsura, the intelligent Psychopath of my dreams.  I like my elves grumpy and my godlike fishy!

And my Rekke romancable!

100% wait

Etc.

While I completely sympathize with your criticism, I still think any serious cRPG fan should support Obsidian with a full price purchase (if you can afford it). They proved with first game that they will fix the issues, but the fact is they are making ambitious projects, trying to overdeliver despite relatively limited resources, in a complex genre that has been abandoned by AAA publishers.

They also don't try to nickle-and-dime with cosmetic DLC or microtransactions which are extremely common in RPGs these days. For those reasons and for the abundant quality content in this game, I believe they deserve the financial support of the core gamers, even though I agree, the game was released in an unfinished state (and it still is even now).

The fact is, no one else besides maybe Larian (DOS is similar but not exactly the same genre) is making quality games of epic scope in this genre anymore. It seems like sales figures haven't been exactly stellar, so they need all the support they can get, especially at full price, if there is to be any hope of seeing another game like this any time soon.

That said, if you haven't started your game yet and have the patience to wait a bit longer, I think you will have a much better experience in about a week or 2, once they released the first major patch. Besides the difficulty issues (which are alleviated somewhat by mods), there are still game breaking issues like bugged saves which won't load (I myself lost over 20 hours of gameplay on my 2nd playthrough).

TL;DR buy now to support Obsidian and wait until the first patch for a better experience.

I agree with NiceGuy

I also say that obsidian not big game company so they got get money back to pay bills, so they really need support.

We don't support they be stuck making games with smaller budgets which will limit what they can do. If you look at POE 1 had its issues on release but obsidian worked with community fix them made game much better.

Yes I do complain about things but not because I like complaining I want help obsidian make game better and I think they actually like hear people complain in good way so they to can improve what they do. As said they don't try microtransactions and all the annoying stuff lot bigger game companies do who don't need money so much so yes obsidian I think are one better companies and I don't make much money as carer but I will pay for obsidian game. Big companies I often wait sales and buy as don't want support there bad practices with microtransactions.

• Like 1

100% wait

Etc.

I agree with NiceGuy

I also say that obsidian not big game company so they got get money back to pay bills, so they really need support.

We don't support they be stuck making games with smaller budgets which will limit what they can do. If you look at POE 1 had its issues on release but obsidian worked with community fix them made game much better.

Yes I do complain about things but not because I like complaining I want help obsidian make game better and I think they actually like hear people complain in good way so they to can improve what they do. As said they don't try microtransactions and all the annoying stuff lot bigger game companies do who don't need money so much so yes obsidian I think are one better companies and I don't make much money as carer but I will pay for obsidian game. Big companies I often wait sales and buy as don't want support there bad practices with microtransactions.

Yeah i agree but if they make stupid decisions like not finishing off the game properly and then release it in 4 different releases (base plus 3 dlcs) and also the base game is so bugged and not playable due to the difficulty issues then they deserve to drop out of the top 50 selling games on steam

which is excactly what has happened, Deadfire is currently not selling 

wonder why

I finished Pillars of Eternity 1 + White March I & II yesterday and i am ready for Deadfire now.

BUT I have heard of some issues:

• Memory leak
  • Imported savefiles from PoE1

Would it be better to wait for a big update and bugfixes?

As a casual player who was not involved in beta and played POE 1 awhile ago, I love deadfire. It’s not too easy for me, but I also don’t know all of the ins and outs of the combat system. I don’t know the full story, not where all of the good loot is at.

I also find the world and people in it pretty immersive. So from the perspective of a casual gamer who hasn’t completed a full play through yet I think it’s a great game.

The only thing that really gets me are the load times, but they were long for me in the first game as well.

• Like 1

Man its been a tough month waiting for this patch,

Ive been incredibly frustrated with the difficulty issues on Vet and POTD and finally they have been fixed,

Im starting my first play through tomorrow and i cant wait.

So proud of myself for being patient ,

now i hope the wait will be worth it as that seriously wasnt cool with how they released the game being so easy like that.

Who else has held off and is starting there play-through until now? 

Edited by antman45454

Humm..been waiting for companions dialogues fix..is it in there ? cose I wanna play ! 

• Like 1
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

Reputation, companion relationship and dialogs, quest those zones you visit before taking them and prob a lot of other staff still broken so,,,,

?????

please elaborate?

how you no still broken? they did 1000+ fixes this patch

I would advise play the game now and then do another playthrough after the 3 expansions have been released

Edited by antman45454

Reputation, companion relationship and dialogs, quest those zones you visit before taking them and prob a lot of other staff still broken so,,,,

?????

please elaborate?

I would advise play the game now and then do another playthrough after the 3 expansions have been released

They still broken as in - i can start a game  at this very moment now and see them broken in the same way as before. You can advise all you like

?????

please elaborate?

They still broken as in - i can start a game  at this very moment now and see them broken in the same way as before. You can advise all you like

what do you mean what is still broken?

are you in the beta patch? you need to opt into it

?????

please elaborate?

what do you mean what is still broken?

are you in the beta patch? you need to opt into it

I mean rep distribution still not fixed, companion WANT TO TALK dialog still dont start, you can still brakes quest by doing them before you receive them etc etc etc. I did opt into the patch and checked. So pls elaborate what you don't understand in "its still not fixed".

Edited by Dopsim

?????

please elaborate?

How did you count 1000+ fixes lol

And if you know that many fixes are in place,

Why you didn't realize something as important as companion relationship bug has not been fixed yet?

That person don't need to elaborate. YOU need to elaborate.

am always recommending a wait of six months post release to buy new games/software. more stable. sales priced.  obvious as this is a crowd funded title, the calculus is a bit different, but reasoning is the same. games, at release, is buggy and for games with rule mechanics as complex as deadfire, they will be wacky unbalanced.  wait.

if you haven't played deadfire yet, and you are able to wait a little longer, we recommend waiting for the next patch, 'cause this patch is gonna break as much as it fixes.  is not a condemnation or criticism o' obsidian to recommend patience.  nowadays all games is broken at release and need be fixed. 

first post release patch is inevitable one which were already being worked on previous to release.  second patch, such as 1.1, is gonna be full o' new fixes and will fail as much as it succeeds.  third patch is where things begin to genuine improve. wait.

just a suggestion.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

am always recommending a wait of six months post release to buy new games/software. more stable. sales priced.  obvious as this is a crowd funded title, the calculus is a bit different, but reasoning is the same. games, at release, is buggy and for games with rule mechanics as complex as deadfire, they will be wacky unbalanced.  wait.

if you haven't played deadfire yet, and you are able to wait a little longer, we recommend waiting for the next patch, 'cause this patch is gonna break as much as it fixes.  is not a condemnation or criticism o' obsidian to recommend patience.  nowadays all games is broken at release and need be fixed. 

first post release patch is inevitable one which were already being worked on previous to release.  second patch, such as 1.1, is gonna be full o' new fixes and will fail as much as it succeeds.  third patch is where things begin to genuine improve. wait.

just a suggestion.

HA! Good Fun!

It would not be so funny if it was not so sad. :brows: 

I played only a little and I noticed some problems importing my savegame from PoE1. Eder did not join the Night Market and Vela's drunk babysitter (Eld Engrim? Not sure what his name is) speaks as if Durance died.

This is definitely the Beta, since I have the new features like eyecolor for example.

One way or another I'll play the game in 1.1 because I can't wait anymore. I'll enjoy any future bug fixes in another playthrough, it's totally fine for me. :)

sign.jpg