You shouldn't be required to hire a hireling from kraken eye tavern

You also can't always stealth - when I loaded the screen it put me in the northeast and I was immediately attacked before stealth was an option

That's a lie, even if you are at northeast corner when entered the map, you won't get attacked immediately.

It's not a lie, it's exactly what happened to me. I loaded up and immediately got the looter "no survivors!" dialog and got attacked.

• Like 1

Honestly I find base Barb better as a secondary.

+5 Might and Con plus +25% action speed whenever you want it.

+20% action speed on kill. +100% recovery later on.

+1 physical armour and physical afflication resistance.

All this works with range and spells.

Offence wise it is no contest.

I agree.

1 VS group.

Berserker win.

1 VS 1 big guy.

Berserker win. (critical + Accuracy)

Problem officer ?

Next in line for the nerf bat :p. Obsidian just want to kill their own game :D

So my party is level 4 and I haven't gotten Aloth yet

Boars are still 3 skulls. The area where I'd get aloth is filled with about 8 enemies.

Is this a level scaling bug or something? Because it isn't remotely possible and this is the bottleneck for continuing the game.

Rogue boost is a good thing. Seems globally more legit. Good job.

I have always a doubt for withering strike. I don't understand why this is 3 guile. ! Always 25 % of damage... Now nobody will take that. Sure 100 %. Need 50 % of damage (min.)

Why not a nerf of Flame of devotion ?

Why shared is always superior to single boost ?

Few problems for me :

Fighter is perhaps dead today.

Paralyse 25 % why not, but afflictions was not a problem, yes ? It was rather the opposite (A lot of people complained a lack of utility of debuff)..

Chanter lose his main trump card (Int inspi L3), for ... nothing... level 1 of inspiration ? Without me : p Perhaps would have been a good idea to CHANGE more than supress totally the effect.

Fighter seems pretty balanced now actually. It still has some great abilities and even the nerfed abilites (charge, cleaving stance) are quite good for their level and what they cost. Just not gamebreaking. Some fighter abilities could use some buffs e.g. inspired discipline is trash for 4 cost. There's maybe a reason to use clean sweep now, it's imo a really good ability for 2 and the only thing making it bit suboptimal is 2h being inferior to dw and it's a primary attack.

Fighter isn't pretty balanced now, it's dead.

He was mediocre/quite average at best as a single class dps, and decent/good as a single class tank. But it was really good for multiclassing because of these passives, stance, etc...

After nerfing hard his powerful tools (cleave stance, charge, unbending), which were already mainly passives and buffs, the char still has decent passives (like main damages boost and armored grace), a decent attack move (penetrating strike) and a good accuracy buff, and that's it. He has no feeling of power, his high level attack skills and buffs are bad and all the other melee builds deals at least twice his damages, and as a tank tanks less than some other single classes (even a wizard !!) and even less than multiclasses, he's just good at holding agro.

He's out dps-ed by everything that dps, and out tank-ed by all the other tanky builds.

He needed nerfs on some tools, but not as hard maybe, but he also needed buffs on many other stuffs.

cRPGs are always rough to warrior/fighter classes anyway...

Also theBalthazar, glad to see i'm not the only fighter lover who's concerned by his weak state, and how he becomes only good at being a meatshield like he was in POE1 (even if i was still going for the dps fighter with his 2 handed halberd or sword in most of my playthroughs ! !)

Edited by Veolfen
  • Like 2

Boars are still 3 skulls. The area where I'd get aloth is filled with about 8 enemies.

Is this a level scaling bug or something? Because it isn't remotely possible and this is the bottleneck for continuing the game.

It's doable. You have to figure out a strategy that works, though. It may take a few attempts. You have to look at what is killing you quickly and find a strategy to either minimize that or that takes it out of the equation asap.

As for the thugs, you can sneak by if you can figure out how to get in at the bottom SE corner of the map and not the top. If you can only come in at the top of the map, there will be blood.

Joe

• Like 2

It's doable. You have to figure out a strategy that works, though. It may take a few attempts. You have to look at what is killing you quickly and find a strategy to either minimize that or that takes it out of the equation asap.

As for the thugs, you can sneak by if you can figure out how to get in at the bottom SE corner of the map and not the top. If you can only come in at the top of the map, there will be blood.

Joe

There is no taking anything out. The best case scenario is pulling only 2 boars and 1 young boar - that alone is going to wipe anything the story companions can do. Their stats are too high to land anything meaningful.

If you manage to somehow deal with those, you still have huge packs of wyrms and panthers that will swarm you, and the lack of accuracy will guarantee spells/attacks/abilities don't really do much of anything

I loved Potd in PoE1 but you weren't required to hire tavern characters. 

So I guess the question is:

a.) is POTD simply rushed and overtuned

b.) balanced with the expectation that you use berath blessings

c.) balanced with the expectation that you hire tavern characters in order to get through the game

d.) turn off or turn on level scaling

Edited by merkmerk73

It's Path of the Damned. Remember the bear cave...

That was Path of the Mauled by the way. :)

I still have no idea how people beat that with a level 2 monk.

EZ

---

it's not consistent, needs luck with rolls :)

OMG! I had no idea you could drag stuff onto the portrait like that! Of course.

Good job BTW.

Joe

There is no taking anything out. The best case scenario is pulling only 2 boars and 1 young boar - that alone is going to wipe anything the story companions can do. Their stats are too high to land anything meaningful.

If you manage to somehow deal with those, you still have huge packs of wyrms and panthers that will swarm you, and the lack of accuracy will guarantee spells/attacks/abilities don't really do much of anything

c.) balanced with the expectation that you hire tavern characters in order to get through the game

Believe it or not, it was the wurms causing me grief. They could hit me from off screen so I couldn't even target them with my bow slinger (Eder).

I had to draw everyone up two sets of stairs and around a corner so the wurm stayed out of the picture. I also intermingled the boar and panthers with my group so when the drake breathed fire it hit them as well.

Don't get me wrong, it took resting with the right food, and drinking healing potions like a sailor and cast healing like a regenerating troll, but I finally did it. Level three devoted sabre barbarian, Eder as straight rogue (swapping between sabre/shield and warbow as needed) and Xoti as straight priest (swapping between melee and crossbow as needed) and many prayers to the RNG gods and goddesses.

Joe

Edited by JFutral
  • Like 1

Joe

I managed to do those fights. :) They are possible. No tavern characters, no Berath's Blessings, no food or resting bonuses.

You can come in at the bottom of the Gorecci Street map if you come from outside the town to Gorecci Street, rather than from the Main Square to Gorecci Street.

It does seem to me that using Berath's Blessings to get the opening vendor would make some of those very early fights more manageable, and that would be better balanced a bit. I did them without that vendor, but having it might have made it a bit less frustrating for some. So don't feel guilty if you get that vendor for PotD. :)

Edited by TheMetaphysician
  • Like 2

So all single target priest buffs got 0.5 cast now? This means I got 0.5 base cast Minor Avatar on my Nalpazca/Wael Priest? I'll take that if all I lost is some lash damage from turning wheel and lightning strike. 1 less PL on nature godlike sucks a bit but it was too good lets face it. How about wizards? They nerfed Concussive Missiles, Missile Salvo, Meteor screen wiping or still same ****? 

How about skill scaling items? Capped at 10 or still broken?

Well don't forget, that inspirations cancel the equivalent affliction btw makes you immune against that affliction. So the litany priestspells are good counterspells now. Set the AI to Ally have affliction x to cast litany y. Sure the 1 level surpress affliction spell is still great, but you have only 2 per combat and must share it with the useful restauration spell. So imho litany are quite useful, especially againt paralysis and mindcontrol spells.

Wenn etwas auf facebook steht, dann muss es ja wahr sein! ;-)

Believe it or not, it was the wurms causing me grief. They could hit me from off screen so I couldn't even target them with my bow slinger (Eder).

I had to draw everyone up two sets of stairs and around a corner so the wurm stayed out of the picture. I also intermingled the boar and panthers with my group so when the drake breathed fire it hit them as well.

Don't get me wrong, it took resting with the right food, and drinking healing potions like a sailor and cast healing like a regenerating troll, but I finally did it. Level three devoted sabre barbarian, Eder as straight rogue (swapping between sabre/shield and warbow as needed) and Xoti as straight priest (swapping between melee and crossbow as needed) and many prayers to the RNG gods and goddesses.

Joe

I'm using Eder as a straight fighter, my PC as a skald chanter who uses a 2h, and Xoti as a pure priest. I was running thru on Trial of Iron (best way to play)

First time I tried to just get Eder and got completely wiped by all those mobs, so I did quests to hit level 4. Just not doable with that party (I cheesed killing thru task manager to keep trying just to see if it was even doable)

Edited by merkmerk73
  • Like 1

I guess its pure schadenfreude but Trial of Iron? lol 

I got so frustrated on that fight, mostly due to the mentioned wurms, that I considered sneeking right into the dungeon getting Aloth after. Then I said to myself .. damn it, it has to be doable so as Joe suggested, need to find solution to that puzzle. 

• Like 1

Joe

A working strat is to pull the wurms from the stairs (ladder side, there's a wall you can use for line of sight as well) and use them to block the boars while you throw a cinder bomb in the pack. Once the wurms are dead you can evade the boar attacks by backing away at the last moment, they don't have disengagement attacks.

• Like 2

It seems that single class rangers changed from PoE1 bow rangers to PoE2 arquebus ranger (due to twin shot design change).

It's called progress.

How do you figure that? Because of slower reload/higher dmg?

Yup. Twin Shot has a per shot cast, so it is better to have slower weapon.

Twin arrows were a constant stance so it worked as well with faster weapon... and only worked with bows anyways :no: .

Trial of Iron is pretty crazy. I need reloading.

It requires either prior knowledge or very careful play or both.

I remember this thread: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/76920-triple-crown-order-of-the-stick/

with cool stories and screens, then s/he met the boars in Magran’s Fork: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/76920-triple-crown-order-of-the-stick/?p=1653883

gg

ToI is fun. Perhaps not as well suited to this game as Ironman is to other games since there's no evac option.

In any case after the first wipe I figured "just need to level up" but I was wrong

The thing about the bear cave is that you could go grab eder/aloth from gilded vale and then go back and do it. 

You could get kana and durance before taking on the gilded vale temple ruins, and then get prepped for the next hard fight which was the phantoms/spirits to get Caed Nua.

This is different - even if you can hit level 4 by cheesing the gerocci street - you can't progress and get aloth without dealing with the boars. It's just not tuned properly.

Which is to be expected - it is a beta. I just want to provide my feedback.

For the record - if an encounter *requires* the player to use stealth to circumvent, or some kind of kiting/cheese strategy like what I did to get past the grocery street fight - it is not properly tuned. 

Properly tuned means with prep (attainable gear, leveling, etc.) and consumables you should be able to do it with any class/weapon/gear etc. and the story companions.

I do not believe the current engwithan ruins are possible with some compositions (such as my chanter skald + story companions) without extreme cheese tactics (pathing exploiting, kiting the lack of disengagement attacks). 

I mean those options should be usable, but you should be able to play the game conventionally - for example I always had to kite the nature golem dudes in magrans fork (or black meadow I can't remember) but you could level up a bit and come back and do them

This doesn't seem to be an option in this bottleneck

• Like 1

I remember this thread: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/76920-triple-crown-order-of-the-stick/

with cool stories and screens, then s/he met the boars in Magran’s Fork: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/76920-triple-crown-order-of-the-stick/?p=1653883

gg

I'd like to meet the person who plays Trial of Iron on any game at highest difficulty without prior knowledge and beat it. I dare to wager a bet that it has never been done before.

gg

I'd like to meet the person who plays Trial of Iron on any game at highest difficulty without prior knowledge and beat it. I dare to wager a bet that it has never been done before.

Plenty of people finished Hardcore/Hell Diablo 2 on their first playthrough.

Edited by Sanctuary

gg

Plenty of people finished Hardcore/Hell Diablo 2 on their first playthrough.

Yea that doesn't count because those people completed normal mode and nightmare before playing Hell. Because you need to unlock those difficulty modes. So they had prior knowledge and skill to be able to play this.

ToI is fun. Perhaps not as well suited to this game as Ironman is to other games since there's no evac option.

In any case after the first wipe I figured "just need to level up" but I was wrong

The thing about the bear cave is that you could go grab eder/aloth from gilded vale and then go back and do it. 

You could get kana and durance before taking on the gilded vale temple ruins, and then get prepped for the next hard fight which was the phantoms/spirits to get Caed Nua.

This is different - even if you can hit level 4 by cheesing the gerocci street - you can't progress and get aloth without dealing with the boars. It's just not tuned properly.

Which is to be expected - it is a beta. I just want to provide my feedback.

For the record - if an encounter *requires* the player to use stealth to circumvent, or some kind of kiting/cheese strategy like what I did to get past the grocery street fight - it is not properly tuned. 

Properly tuned means with prep (attainable gear, leveling, etc.) and consumables you should be able to do it with any class/weapon/gear etc. and the story companions.

I do not believe the current engwithan ruins are possible with some compositions (such as my chanter skald + story companions) without extreme cheese tactics (pathing exploiting, kiting the lack of disengagement attacks). 

I mean those options should be usable, but you should be able to play the game conventionally - for example I always had to kite the nature golem dudes in magrans fork (or black meadow I can't remember) but you could level up a bit and come back and do them

This doesn't seem to be an option in this bottleneck

While I have not tried it with other but Assasin (who either had to be ranged not utilizing her abilities or melee while being a liability) and companions, I do not believe the encounter in question is impossible without using non-traditional techniques so in this sense its "properly tuned". 

The encounter is imo tuned to the use of environment (choke points)  and available resources  (scrolls and explosives) and planning. It's not tuned to running in the open and hack and slash everything no. 

Edited by knownastherat
  • Like 1