Just want to chime in on PoTD

The tuning for the fight in the flooded district in Port Maej is very overtuned - I'm level 3 with the 3 party members I can have at this point with no purchased adventurers.

I was able to get past it only by glitching the 3 dudes on the balcony and even then just barely because their defenses are just too high for this level

I thought that was fun. :) That's what you want out of PotD, overtuned fights. It is an optional fight -- you can move on and then come back and do it later if you need to. That's the kind of fight I like to see overtuned -- your progress isn't gated by it, so why not make it super hard?

I dunno it makes the bear cave look like a joke - when are you supposed to come back to it? The engwithan site to pick up Aloth is full of a massive ****block as well.

Seems like being able to hit level 4 is pretty important off those quests to progress

I agree. But I did stumble upon a non-combative solution that I am not entirely sure how I hit it. There is a way to come into the map from below and sneak to the gang leader.

I do enjoy a tactical work out. But when I went in with a 4 party group at 4th level and kept having party members getting one shotted, I stopped trying. I was ready to pass on this task until I found this bypass.

Joe

See, that's the kind of creative solution you are forced to try when the fights are really hard! Fun!

• Like 1

How is shields' scaling now?

Still +1 per enchantment level?

The only way to make shields effective is to give shields and weapons delfection stats and remove the deflection stat from characters themselves.

I like that idea. But you would have to alter the way armor and more offensive setups work to compensate.

Yea, which implies a massive change and balance issue. 

Also, armor could have a deflection stat, but right now they have damage resist stat which makes no sense. If a piece of armor resists 4 damage from a total of 10 how does that actually work? Is that piece of armor pierced or slashed off allowing for the rest of the damage to get through? If it doesn't pierce/slashes or breaks the armor in any way the only damage you receive is crush damage, not pierce damage.

Either a piece of armor is fully resistant to damage and you simply get knocked around or it is not and it breaks.

Imagine this: a suit of shark bite resistant chainmail (this exists yes) is great because shark teeth and bites cannot break it. It defends you from smaller sharks because they don't have the power to hurt you. A great white however is different. Sure it cannot break the armor. But if it bites you, you still are snapped in half due to the amount of force.

And here we have something that is completely lacking in this game: force. A small blade allows for little force. Meaning a dagger/stilleto would never ever be able to pierce a piece of full plate mail unless you outmanouver and find a small weakness point, which should be far more difficult in a 1v1 front up battle. Also a Two handed battle axe or mace should pound through people wearing light armor as well. Light armor means light on your feet. Which means not being there. Heavy armor means to resist or deflect damage alltogether.

A dude in light armor firing a bow and not able to dodge an attack should get knocked around like a ragdoll. Deflection is almost non existent in this case because he doesn't have the means to do so.

In short. Choosing your equipment should have a meaningful impact on your playing style. Right now it matters very little what you equip or what you wear.

• Like 1

I wuld like if there was an ability that lets you dodge (using your reflex) instead of deflect/parry. At least against certain attacks. But unfortunately this opens way too many possibilites for game breaking mechanics and it makes the game mechanics much more complicated. 

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

In the game's defense, I believe the wands, scepters and rods have a deflection penalty now (now as in compared to PoE1). Which makes sense. So they can maybe extend those to other range weapons.

Edited by mosspit

I agree. But I did stumble upon a non-combative solution that I am not entirely sure how I hit it. There is a way to come into the map from below and sneak to the gang leader.

I do enjoy a tactical work out. But when I went in with a 4 party group at 4th level and kept having party members getting one shotted, I stopped trying. I was ready to pass on this task until I found this bypass.

Joe

See, that's the kind of creative solution you are forced to try when the fights are really hard! Fun!

Hmmm. I don't agree with that. But obviously fun for you.

Joe

Joe

Hmmm. I don't agree with that. But obviously fun for you.

Joe

The general idea I have is that I really like, in RPGs, to find the fights scary enough that there is an incentive for me to find non-combat solutions to puzzles. I like the feeling of trepidation when I pick a fight, because then I have a genuine feeling of accomplishment when either (1) I find a non-violent solution I'm happy with from a role-playing standpoint, (2) I win the fight I feel forced into for role-playing reasons. It is the same feeling that makes me care about finding gear (just so I can win those fights) or getting XP (so I can come back and win those fights). In other words, it makes everything about the game matter more to me.

From a role-playing standpoint, avoiding killing those guys by making peace with their leader really fits certain types of characters. I wish I'd thought of it.

In the game's defense, I believe the wands, scepters and rods have a deflection penalty now (now as in compared to PoE1). Which makes sense. So they can maybe extend those to other range weapons.

Well having 90 base deflection and deduct 5-10 deflection based on your weapon of choice is actually counter intuitive. A scepter in hand means you actually have a weapon that can deflect something. Is it as effective as a weapon or shield? hell no. Also having 80 deflection instead of 90 deflection has almost 0 effect on your deflection ability on most enemies in the game. This only matters when you're around level 1-10. After that you can go in without weapons/armor and still beat the crap out of enemies. Probably also in PotD. It was done in POEI, I'm sure it's even easier now.

Vigorous Defense and Armored Grace make Fighters now a secondary class to a heavy armor tanky martial class, I guess. They bring +20 defenses buff, hit conversion buff, recovery speed buff. Something useful from a stance. Instead of being the main star, they're now the backup support to a better martial class.

Vigorous Defense and Armored Grace make Fighters now a secondary class to a heavy armor tanky martial class, I guess. They bring +20 defenses buff, hit conversion buff, recovery speed buff. Something useful from a stance. Instead of being the main star, they're now the backup support to a better martial class.

My first PC was a Devoted Fighter multiclassed with a Soul Blade Cipher. I never got hit by much of anything due to all the free stats.

Honestly I find base Barb better as a secondary.

+5 Might and Con plus +25% action speed whenever you want it.

+20% action speed on kill. +100% recovery later on.

+1 physical armour and physical afflication resistance.

All this works with range and spells.

Offence wise it is no contest.

Well having 90 base deflection and deduct 5-10 deflection based on your weapon of choice is actually counter intuitive. A scepter in hand means you actually have a weapon that can deflect something. Is it as effective as a weapon or shield? hell no. Also having 80 deflection instead of 90 deflection has almost 0 effect on your deflection ability on most enemies in the game. This only matters when you're around level 1-10. After that you can go in without weapons/armor and still beat the crap out of enemies. Probably also in PotD. It was done in POEI, I'm sure it's even easier now.

Well, at the very least it is heading in a correct direction. Better than nothing in this case.

•  There is a matter in the magnitude of the penalty. It could be a case of -50 instead of -5 with a min of 10(?)
  •  A matter of realism - I find it is a grey area of discussing the "battle practicality" when fireballs are shot out from thin air.

My first PC was a Devoted Fighter multiclassed with a Soul Blade Cipher. I never got hit by much of anything due to all the free stats.

So was mine, and I thought it was powerful, until I tried some of the actually powerful multiclasses like Fighter/Monk. And 1.1 significantly nerfs Fighter and Soul Annihilation. RIP that build, glad it was my first. Now it's mediocre at best.

• Like 1

Honestly I find base Barb better as a secondary.

+5 Might and Con plus +25% action speed whenever you want it.

+20% action speed on kill. +100% recovery later on.

+1 physical armour and physical afflication resistance.

All this works with range and spells.

Offence wise it is no contest.

I agree.

1 VS group.

Berserker win.

1 VS 1 big guy.

Berserker win. (critical + Accuracy)

Problem officer ?

Edited by theBalthazar

Monk/Wizard was already one of the best offensive/defensive multiclasses prior to these changes, and even with the slight nerf to Swift Flurry, Turning Wheel and Llengrath's Displaced Image, they are still one of the best.  Unlike Monks and Wizards, Fighters were never really good as a single class, and always lended themselves to being excellent for multiclassing.  With all of the nerfs to them however, I'm not sure why I would ever want to pick one now over any other class.  Armored Grace isn't that good.  For tanking, Paladins, Paladin/Chanter or Paladin/Wizard is still better than anything a Fighter can bring.

Edited by Sanctuary

So was mine, and I thought it was powerful, until I tried some of the actually powerful multiclasses like Fighter/Monk. And 1.1 significantly nerfs Fighter and Soul Annihilation. RIP that build, glad it was my first. Now it's mediocre at best.

Well in terms of damage My second frontline was monk/rogue Mirke and although she didn't deal as much damage as my fighter (mostly because of her stat distribution) the single target destruction capabilities on that character was far higher than my cipher/fighter build. Plus she outscaled me late game.

New PoTD reminds me of Icewind Dale 2 Heart of Fury mode, where summons rules.... I tried the beginner's island, the enemy is really hard and it's almost impossible to solo without steath or summon cheese...

Enemy offence is just so high now.

New PoTD reminds me of Icewind Dale 2 Heart of Fury mode, where summons rules.... I tried the beginner's island, the enemy is really hard and it's almost impossible to solo without steath or summon cheese...

Enemy offence is just so high now.

It's probably impossible without kitting and splitting groups and using environment, which is the way it should be simply because if it was possible to solo without let's say (I do not like the term cheese because its value based) untraditional techniques it could never be called difficult. 

Edited by knownastherat

It's Path of the Damned. Remember the bear cave...

That was Path of the Mauled by the way. :)

I still have no idea how people beat that with a level 2 monk.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

It's Path of the Damned. Remember the bear cave...

That was Path of the Mauled by the way. :)

Sure, but the bear cave was always difficult, even on "Normal". But I don't remember ever, even in PotD, needing more than one other PC. Or maybe by that time I was just a better player. I was willing to pass on this until I was stronger, and 4 at 4 should be strong enough at this point in the game, imho.

Meh. At least in the stream of the game, it isn't an important confrontation and is easily skipped entirely. Other fights I was more interested in refighting for some reason, like at the Ruins. This one I didn't care as much about. So maybe that played a part.

I'm still not sure how I came in at the bottom of the screen.

Joe

Looks like PotD is finally a challenge.

Did they change Veteran too?

I am still on my first playthrough. I am near the end and there were only 2 difficult fights:

- The giant worm under Neketaka. I sailed straigt for the town, walked around a bit and then went down the elevator. It was me, Eder, Aloth and Takehu at lv7 with only the starting equipment and the stuff dropped by some trash enemies.

- fampyrs, because they dominate you every time you hit them.

Everything else, including fights that are supposed to be a boss, were pathetically easy.

From what I read, I am very happy with most of the changes.

Did somebody test if monks can still chain crit?

Looks like they fixed it for fighter cleave stance.

Looks like PotD is finally a challenge.

Did they change Veteran too?

I am still on my first playthrough. I am near the end and there were only 2 difficult fights:

- The giant worm under Neketaka. I sailed straigt for the town, walked around a bit and then went down the elevator. It was me, Eder, Aloth and Takehu at lv7 with only the starting equipment and the stuff dropped by some trash enemies.

- fampyrs, because they dominate you every time you hit them.

Everything else, including fights that are supposed to be a boss, were pathetically easy.

From what I read, I am very happy with most of the changes.

Did somebody test if monks can still chain crit?

Looks like they fixed it for fighter cleave stance.

Depends once you get around level 7-8 all CRPGs tend to get a lot easier.

It's always the early levels that are the hardest. The looters, Skele tomb and Aloth recruitment fights on Tutorial Island 1.1 are probably then any fights in 1.0.