Monk and cipher, Priest are the great losers of this attack.

Rogue and ranger the great winners.

Finally, I join MadDemiurg, fighter are safe. Paladin have been slightly nerfed but it stay logical.

I'm OK to say chanter is less good than before but always have few tricks. Without doubt a good balancing. Personnally I stay on my mind : There was a mean to stay with a modified L3. Because now, it is only 3 x L1, available everywhere, not a big fan.

Before pre-patch = every 3s. Was possible :

- Gain every 6s.

- OR Down the cost of all ressource by 1. (Except cost of 1)

- OR Gain every 9s.

- OR Erase the gain overtime but an increased PL. = PL+2

Edited by theBalthazar

The nerfs that bother me the most are ones to abilities generally thought as weak already. I was looking through abilities that I usually ignore and found that many are now even worse; not that it really matters since I still wouldn’t use them anyway. Why further nerf something that is already universally thought of as bad and would still be bad if left alone? The thought process seemed to be that “anything that does X type of effect gets downsized” (even if it is not really that powerful) and “anything someone in the forums have been vocal about recently” also gets nerfed. I also don’t understand when something is nerfed heavily, but the power cost and level requirements remain the same. If you are going to make something weak by over nerfing, at least make it cheap to use. Unbending and time parasite are good examples of this. Who is going to spend three discipline on what now amounts to a weak healing spell on par with on lay on hands most of the time? Why are all the low tier powers still the best use of resources from start to finish and the end game powers not even worth spending an ability point on when you can finally have the option to learn them. What is there to work for? Might as well just load up on all the passive abilities instead of the higher teir, over-priced and under powered abilities.

In some ways, balance is even worse now. If it was truely everything getting nerfed, then it would be the same as just buffing all the enemies. However, though a lot was nerfed, many things were not and some of those things are just as powerful as the ones nerfed; they just were not talked about as much because they were not as much fun as uber nuke builds or machine-gun level attack speed build, or were simply overkill given the easy difficulty. As a result, they slipped under the radar.

Regarding only nerfing: If abilities are made so bad that you just skip them for another passive, that is a problem; it makes the game less fun since another visual effect is effectively removed from the game. Take away all the toys and boring stat boosts like bears fortitude become better than wasting your level up selections on higher tier abilities that are worse than the lower tier ones they already have

Winners of the patch?

Spellcasters. They basically didn’t get hurt at all. While the martials had their core abilities nerfed, spells were largely untouched. There is no way to avoid the nerf of FoD for kind wayfarer who relies on one ability, or Faith and Conviction for all paladins. Wizards, however, can easily work around the few nerfs they got. Even if one spell is nerfed, there are still others equally strong on the same spell level not nerfed at all. I hear people lamenting the Priest’s devotions of the faithful nerf, but I always considered Triumph of the Crusaders to be superior anyway. It is the strongest heal spell in the game.

Edited by Braven
  • Like 1

You shouldn't be required to hire a hireling from kraken eye tavern

You also can't always stealth - when I loaded the screen it put me in the northeast and I was immediately attacked before stealth was an option

no one is required to do anything aslong as they find a way to make it work

Chanter + Paladin can still give +30% lash to team, while Lightning strike only gives +15% lash to self. I don't say LS is bad, but a team buff that is equally powerful with self-buff is wrong. Also the tankiness of Herald is untouched because you can still reach 200+ deflection and with good team healing for like 40~60 hp per 10 second.

Maybe because the MC is the herald of Berath, so logically herald should be powerful :D

Edited by dunehunter
  • Like 1

Ah, I remembered one other thing: I can understand (though I don't really agree with) removing Brilliant out of Set to Their Purpose.  It was OP, but I'd have preferred some type of re-balancing be done to Brilliant instead of having it effectively removed from the game.  But even then, why downgrade it all the way to the T1 Smart?  At least give the ability the T2 Accute, the opportunity costs of an ability selection & the additional phrase required to cast after being upgraded are completely not worth a T1 buff.

I think Brilliant needs to change all together.  Why?  Look at the level 9 Invocation His Heart Did Fill With the Light of the Dawn.  AoE cone is the same as Set to Their Purpose, and it gives one resource back to those it hits plus the Chanter.  So, Set to Their Purpose with Brilliant, as a level 7 Invocation, does what a level 9 Invocation does, but better.   So, if they were to retain what Brilliant did, but reduce its frequency then they would have to also do something new for His Heart.  I honestly think it is more balanced to completely change Brilliant, and leave His Heart as is.   The Chanter can still slowly replenish resources to his team at a large cost of phrases, but not cause an AoE resource regen passively that can be maintained 100% of the time with a smaller cost. 

What would I do with Brilliant?  I have no idea.  Perhaps something like Increase all positive durations on targets affected by x%.  Perhaps, something that allows targets to use Empower a second time in combat (this would have to be limited to once per combat in and of itself). 

Or, maybe, they need to do what they do with Each Kill Fed his Fury, and add something else to the upgrade.  Each Kill makes it so "each kill" (hyuck hyuck) increases its own duration.  Another idea could be that any companion that dies while retaining the buff Set to Their Purpose gives the chanter a phrase.   Or something like that. 

Either way, Brilliant needed to go.  However, I agree rolling it all the way back to smart wasn't good.  It should at least be Acute.  At least give the +1 power level.  As of now the upgrade isn't very useful. 

@dunehunter - They really need to sort out the balance of Shared Flames vs Eternal Devotion.  It is stupid that Shared Flames gives your team a better buff than Eternal Devotion gives you.  At least toss Eternal Devotion a Flame Shield on top of the extra lash, or something.  As good as it is... I kind of don't think Mith Fyr and Shared Flames should stack, but they seem to want everything to stack.  So...  I don't have a clue.

Always a problem of difference between spells and ability.

Penetrating strike Base :

+20 % damage. +4 penetration.

Actual Penetrating strike with empower :

+20 % damage +6.5 penetration +10 accuracy.

Yeah... one empower for this^^... (your only one of all the encounter...)

So I think we can say reasonnably a good result would be :

Possible Penetrating strike empower :

+40 % damage +6.5 penetration +10 accuracy.

Basic to justify to use an empower for that...

Edited by theBalthazar

Always a problem of difference between spells and ability.

Penetrating strike Base :

+20 % damage. +4 penetration.

Penetrating strike empower :

+20 % damage +6.5 penetration +10 accuracy.

Yeah... one empower for this^^... (your only one of all the encounter...)

So I think we can say reasonnably a good result would be :

Possible Penetrating strike empower :

+40 % damage +6.5 penetration +10 accuracy.

Basic to justifie to use an empower for that...

I believe Empower adds ability base damage roll.

1 PL = 1 base damage bonus.

At least this is true to FoD, with Magran Favor and Sun&Moon, your mainhand FoD does same damage as 2h weapon FoD, plus offhand FoD.

Edited by dunehunter

I believe Empower adds ability base damage roll.

Yes. But damage is not concerned ?

There is already a little effect, so if all the variable are not concerned.... : p

And how explain "10 accuracy" without evolution. I think there are few fixed amount.

Edited by theBalthazar

I'd like to ask you 3 questions:

1- do you find 1.1 solid in terms of bugs?

2- are the save importing from PoE1 working properly?

3- is the 1.1 version harder at veteran/PotD than version 1.0 or continues being too easy?

Thanks in advance :yes:

3- is the 1.1 version harder at veteran/PotD than version 1.0 or continues being too easy?

1.  It's not to buggy that I can tell.

2.  Not sure, but you can get all the sword fragments properly with custom history now.

3.  It's many times harder.  Don't even try Poko Kihara at level 9... lol.  It's a little inconsistent though, because basically all the unexplored islands are the same as they were before, while most of the quest related encounters are either buffed a bit or buffed a hell of a lot.

• Like 1

1)  It has been good on my machine.  Still hitching after a bit of playing.  So, you may have to reboot the game, periodically.  Every few hours or so.

2)  It seems to be working as best as I can tell.

3)  Some sections are harder.  Some are not.  It is definitely a work in progress.  It will probably take a good few patches to get it completely up to snuff.

I think Brilliant needs to change all together. Why? Look at the level 9 Invocation His Heart Did Fill With the Light of the Dawn. AoE cone is the same as Set to Their Purpose, and it gives one resource back to those it hits plus the Chanter. So, Set to Their Purpose with Brilliant, as a level 7 Invocation, does what a level 9 Invocation does, but better. So, if they were to retain what Brilliant did, but reduce its frequency then they would have to also do something new for His Heart. I honestly think it is more balanced to completely change Brilliant, and leave His Heart as is. The Chanter can still slowly replenish resources to his team at a large cost of phrases, but not cause an AoE resource regen passively that can be maintained 100% of the time with a smaller cost.

What would I do with Brilliant? I have no idea. Perhaps something like Increase all positive durations on targets affected by x%. Perhaps, something that allows targets to use Empower a second time in combat (this would have to be limited to once per combat in and of itself).

Or, maybe, they need to do what they do with Each Kill Fed his Fury, and add something else to the upgrade. Each Kill makes it so "each kill" (hyuck hyuck) increases its own duration. Another idea could be that any companion that dies while retaining the buff Set to Their Purpose gives the chanter a phrase. Or something like that.

Either way, Brilliant needed to go. However, I agree rolling it all the way back to smart wasn't good. It should at least be Acute. At least give the +1 power level. As of now the upgrade isn't very useful.

Oh I agree, as long as Brilliant grants resource regeneration it's going to be just about impossible to balance. If they want to keep resource regen a part of it, my thoughts are it would need either the regen to have a much longer tic interval (which would make the regen almost pointless) or they add a maximum cap per fight (which would be hard to fit in a tooltip). But that's what I meant by re-balanced, come up with something else for it to do that isn't so OP.

T3 inspirations are rare enough (at least for players, IDK what NPCs get) that a lot of them might as well not exist, we don't need one of them functionally removed from the game.

• Like 1

And now you know why I don't post builds before the first few patches hit the game. :)

A good amount of the builds in the list are screwed now (immortal x, endless y and so on). If PoE showed anything then that game breakers and severe balance issues will get nerfed. The trick is to find stuff that's powerful enough to be great but not game breaking so that it can fly under the nerf-radar. ;)

The good news is that now we may enjoy your builds :) I'll take that!

• Like 1

I'm all right with 90% of the patch. Most are pretty normal, and I guess that will make build makers really useful to us.

Some nerfs were not needed, but they'll rebalance that later, no doubt. My main concerns were : relationships bugs, respec bugs, history import bugs. It seems at least respec bugs and relationships are fine now?

I'd also like them to add more interesting bows... all is about guns now.

My last question :biggrin::

If I download the game today and I play it on VETERAN difficulty, Will I find at least some challenging battles at 1.1?

I mean challenging battles as those battles that you must reload your saved game after being defeated and think what strategy you must follow in order to defeat the group of foes.

Thanks in advance

Can't say on Veteran. I havent tried Veteran on the new patch. PotD will make you reload a few times before you leave the starter island. Especially if you havent played it beforr. There are some ruthless battles on PotD that you can walk into.

Edit: just make sure you get the beta patch from steam for the updated difficulty patch. It is really stable. So no worries there.

Edited by Ganrich

Helm of the Falcon from -20% to -10% recovery. Obviously.

Improved Critical from +15% (IIRC?) to +10% critical damage. It was clearly making the game too easy.

Grimoires aren't the only items with fancy new icons; I noticed a couple other items too. Also the Monk's Wounds indicator in the UI changed color and position.

Everything's unnecessarily slower but at least it looks pretty.

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

was wondering if anyone knows how we can retain the balance pre 1.1 patch while still applying new patch for the bugfixes, enhancement and improvement? maybe obsidian should release the balance patch fixes so that folks can apply which balance fixes they want? beside this is a single player game not online or MMO.

Edited by Archaven

was wondering if anyone knows how we can retain the balance pre 1.1 patch while still applying new patch for the bugfixes, enhancement and improvement? maybe obsidian should release the balance patch fixes so that folks can apply which balance fixes they want? beside this is a single player game not online or MMO.

Probably modding will be the best bet in theory. But it is tricky to do that at this stage as I expect obs to be aggressive with patching at the start. Which might mean you have to tune the mods accordingly as the patches come in, which in turn might not be a good experience.

Edited by mosspit

There is no way to avoid the nerf of FoD for kind wayfarer who relies on one ability, or Faith and Conviction for all paladins.

There is: restore paladin orders' restrictions.

They removed them to give themselves an excuse to nerf FoD and F&C.

• Like 1

Vancian =/= per rest.

I have do many tests here and here.

Devotion for the faithful need to be 3s of casting now.

4.5s for indirect damage for this is not enough.

The only thing that save the situation is the +4 of might. The true gain of accuracy for 90 % of teams is only 5 of accuracy.

5 accuracy don't change really the face of the world.

The best solution (for me) is :

1) Down to 3s like others buffs of the same "amplitude".

2) Stay at 4.5s but unlock stacking rules. (Same spell or same container (Inspirations, afflictions) : don't stack, all the rest : stack)

Since the beginning I am a big fan of the second proposition. Solve all problems and all is useful. Now all is nerf, so no risk of absurd amount of x or y...

-------------------------

The bride of Chanter (Set to their purpose). Same now.

6 phrases VS 5 phrases for the bride caught is not logical anymore. With 3 inspirations level One, 5 phrases is enough... Already this with his little brother...the brideman (4 phrases base AND upgrade) !

Edited by theBalthazar