hey i just noticed that might is now not an overall damage modifier it is just an increase in damage not over the top of everything?

was this a change in the BETA?

No, it was since launch.

im pretty sure i saw it the other way around before this patch?

could be wrong

hey i just noticed that might is now not an overall damage modifier it is just an increase in damage not over the top of everything?

was this a change in the BETA?

No, it was since launch.

im pretty sure i saw it the other way around before this patch?

could be wrong

No, it was definitely a change that came with launch.  It was only really discussed here that I saw.  No official mentions of it.  Easy to miss.

So, I promised first impressions on the difficulty. The first island was hard like I remember early-game PoE 1 being hard on PotD. The Gorecci street fight was so hard I had to give up and come back to it after picking up Aloth and a few levels, and even then it took me three tries. And the dungeon on the first island was hard enough that I had to pay attention to the weapon damage types of my characters to eke out wins -- I never once changed a weapon set in combat my first time through on PotD and never got knocked out. So hooray! This is the perfect level of difficulty.

I expect it to get easier once my builds start really coming together around level 10, so I anticipate needing to install the Deadly Deadfire mod then. But until that point, count me satisfied with this patch.

Edited by TheMetaphysician
  • Like 4

So, I promised first impressions on the difficulty. The first island was hard like I remember early-game PoE 1 being hard on PotD. The Gorecci street fight was so hard I had to give up and come back to it after picking up Aloth and a few levels, and even then it took me three tries. And the dungeon on the first island was hard enough that I had to pay attention to the weapon damage types of my characters to eke out wins -- I never once changed a weapon set in combat my first time through on PotD and never got knocked out. So hooray! This is the perfect level of difficulty.

I expect it to get easier once my builds start really coming together around level 10, so I anticipated needing to install the Deadly Deadfire mod then. But until that point, count me satisfied with this patch.

yeah im really happy with the start difficulty ,

finaly a challenge

• Like 1

Just want to chime in on PoTD

The tuning for the fight in the flooded district in Port Maej is very overtuned - I'm level 3 with the 3 party members I can have at this point with no purchased adventurers.

I was able to get past it only by glitching the 3 dudes on the balcony and even then just barely because their defenses are just too high for this level

Am I mis-remembering, or do new characters get 1 more Empower than they used to?  Started a new game, Berath's Blessings off, and when Empower opens up at level 2, each character gets 3. 

I seem to remember low-level characters only having 2 before.

• Like 3

The tuning for the fight in the flooded district in Port Maej is very overtuned - I'm level 3 with the 3 party members I can have at this point with no purchased adventurers.

I was able to get past it only by glitching the 3 dudes on the balcony and even then just barely because their defenses are just too high for this level

I thought that was fun. :) That's what you want out of PotD, overtuned fights. It is an optional fight -- you can move on and then come back and do it later if you need to. That's the kind of fight I like to see overtuned -- your progress isn't gated by it, so why not make it super hard?

I thought that was fun. :) That's what you want out of PotD, overtuned fights. It is an optional fight -- you can move on and then come back and do it later if you need to. That's the kind of fight I like to see overtuned -- your progress isn't gated by it, so why not make it super hard?

I dunno it makes the bear cave look like a joke - when are you supposed to come back to it? The engwithan site to pick up Aloth is full of a massive ****block as well.

Seems like being able to hit level 4 is pretty important off those quests to progress

Edited by merkmerk73

Am I mis-remembering, or do new characters get 1 more Empower than they used to?  Started a new game, Berath's Blessings off, and when Empower opens up at level 2, each character gets 3. 

I seem to remember low-level characters only having 2 before.

Seems to be the case.  You use to get 1 Empower point at level 3, I think.  Now you get 3 points at level 3. 

I dunno it makes the bear cave look like a joke - when are you supposed to come back to it? The engwithan site to pick up Aloth is full of a massive ****block as well.

Seems like being able to hit level 4 is pretty important off those quests to progress

I came back to it after getting Aloth and doing the Engwithen Ruins, and it was still harder than anything in the Ruins. But you could even come back to it after going off to Neketaka if you need to.

I think the only issue with Gorecci Street is that there are 3-4 ranged enemies, and upon getting there you have absolutely no protection vs Piercing damage.  So, those ranged guys hit really hard. 

It also doesn't help that they are spread out, the map is incredibly open, and the water makes mobility hard for any class but ranged characters and Rogues.  With all that going on there isn't much you can do.  Also, you have no resources to craft anything to help you. 

So, I am going to skip it, and return later.  I do agree it is worse than the Bear Cave just because of the number of enemies you have to contend with, how spread out they are, how slowly you move, how little you have in consumables, and how much piercing they bring to the table.  At least this is my impression of it.

• Like 1

OP weapon is gone, good weapon is still there.

Like the one unique hunting bow that's located on the other side of the map and has +crush damage as its gimmick? Or the war bow that requires Survival and Religion to work? Veilpiercer looks good, but it's endgame so there won't be enough time to use it.

I'm rate salty about the lack of bows in this game, if it wasn't apparent.

You could literally get this at level 8 on the prior PotD.  With the balance changes, you can still probably get it at level 8 on Veteran and 10 - 12 on PotD.

It's still lousy for Focus gain. Meh. Cipher/Ranger is looking better now anyways.

I think the only issue with Gorecci Street is that there are 3-4 ranged enemies, and upon getting there you have absolutely no protection vs Piercing damage.  So, those ranged guys hit really hard. 

It also doesn't help that they are spread out, the map is incredibly open, and the water makes mobility hard for any class but ranged characters and Rogues.  With all that going on there isn't much you can do.  Also, you have no resources to craft anything to help you. 

So, I am going to skip it, and return later.  I do agree it is worse than the Bear Cave just because of the number of enemies you have to contend with, how spread out they are, how slowly you move, how little you have in consumables, and how much piercing they bring to the table.  At least this is my impression of it.

All part of Obsidian's clever scheme to convince us that the Island Aumaua racial bonus is worthwhile.

• Like 8

All part of Obsidian's clever scheme to convince us that the Island Aumaua racial bonus is worthwhile.

LOL.  I actually said to myself, "I refuse to give in and spec Island Aumaua." 

• Like 1

Trick to Gorecci Street is stealthing past it. You don't need to fight and the good loot remains in place.

Eh, I came back with Aloth, and I got it.  Bum rushed the 3 to the South.  Used Aloth to kill the caster outright with an Empowered Necrotic Lance, kept Xoti in the middle with an Xbow healing and Dire Blessing peeps, Eder worked his way toward the porch chucking grenades, and I tangoed with the 3 to the south with my Kind Wayfarer/Troubadour.  I am no sneaker.  :p  They want a fight... they get a fight.

One more issue with this encounter IMHO.  Its difficulty is a bit inflated by the fact that most of the enemies are Rogues or Rogue MCs, and that means everyone in your party likely has an affliction on them.  This means you will be eating +40% damage in piercing damage.  Not much you can do at low level when you are eating 30ish damage, or more, from enemy fire.  However, it makes logical sense that the looters are rogues, but... it doesn't make things more engaging mechanically IMHO.  Make sure you have your Suppress Affliction ready to go. 

I will say I am pretty happy with PotD now in the early game.  I really like that Empower is more available, and IMHO much more important.  Now that some of the stats have been boosted you tend to whiff more, and that means you can use it to get some more resources back.  It adds a little of that resource management from PoE1 back in, and sometimes you need to dump a big spell to get things done.  However, I think most times (at least in the early game) you are better off replenishing your resources.  All in all I would say this is what I want from the game.  Obsidian needs to continue down this path IMHO.

• Like 1

You shouldn't be required to hire a hireling from kraken eye tavern

You also can't always stealth - when I loaded the screen it put me in the northeast and I was immediately attacked before stealth was an option

That's a lie, even if you are at northeast corner when entered the map, you won't get attacked immediately.

u can also split up the 2 groups. take out the group around the body first. just puell them from the south and lead them a bit away from the body before engaging

just make sure u enter from the south because i dont think xoti has enough stealth to sneak past from the north without having to put points in stealth.

My first impressions of this patch are not very good.  Mostly because I typically don't agree with sweeping nerfs in any game, and the nerfs in 1.1 are severe & omnipresent.  I have consoled in just about every unique item, and almost every one of them has some type of nerf compared to pre-patch.  Not all of them are severe, but I'm serious when I say almost every one was noticeably weakened. On top of that, many class abilities (mostly buffs) were nerfed.  Why is the Brilliant inspiration even a thing in the game if it is completely inaccessible? That's just silly, and I'm not sure that's the only T3 inspiration that player's don't have access to (I can't find a list of inspiration/affliction sources by type anywhere, I might resort to looking through every ability on Fextralife and put one together myself.)

Ciphers seem to have received a pretty raw deal especially.  They were already pretty meh, and about the only real reason I would play one now is cause (like Pillars 1) they apparently have an inordinate amount of dialogue options that are unique to their class (it makes sense in-universe, but from a meta perspective it's kinda annoying to have one of the weaker combat classes having the highest RP potential like it is in just about any game).  Mind web's beta incarnation is functionally useless on all but the lowest difficulties, and is totally not worth it's cost in Focus.  Body Attunement is one where I can understand some type of nerf, but going from 5->2 is way to steep.  3 seems like a better option if devs are reading this & open to feedback.  It's one of their few self-buffs, and like their other small number of other self-buffs it requires a hit check to function.  I see no reason why it should be such a low value with those things in mind.  I think Time Parasite working like POE1 would be a better idea at this point, where the buff/debuff is 50% & bounces stack duration instead of buff magnitude.  Either that, or the current incarnation needs a noticeably longer base duration.  I'd even prefer 20% with a longer base duration/bounce scaling than the current 25% for 12s, since melee can spend a lot of that time running from mob to mob.  I'll preface the next complaint with a caveat: I've never really understood Soul Annihilation's tooltip, since I thought the ability did 1 damage per focus expended, but the tooltip ended up saying something really odd like 1.06 damage per focus (with a big boost from PL & some Might mixed in, that doesn't make a lot of sense.)   But with the 1.1 patch installed, the tooltip damage seems about 40% lower than what I remember from the release version.  All of this combined is pretty silly for a class that was already mid-to-low tier in usefulness for Dreadfire due to the mix of long-ish attack & recovery times on most of their good spells combining with weaker debuff/CC mechanics than POE1 making a lot of the shorter cast time abilities feel kinda lackluster.

I think one of my biggest gripes with this patch is the nerf to many things that improved action speed & recovery time.  The combat felt pretty slow to me before, so this for me is a step in the wrong direction.  On a kind of positive note, for some reason it looks like Coral Snuff got buffed to almost double it's previous bonus to AS.  I'll say I'm not 100% on my memory of this, but I could swear in the release version it was 25-30% AS increase on my Nalpazca.  The same character now has the Snuff listed as a 40% bonus to AS.  None of the other drug effects look significantly different in their tooltips, so this seems odd.

That's most of what I could see from my brief playtime today.  Will probably mess around with more class combinations tomorrow.

Edited by Seroster01
  • Like 2

Ah, I remembered one other thing: I can understand (though I don't really agree with) removing Brilliant out of Set to Their Purpose.  It was OP, but I'd have preferred some type of re-balancing be done to Brilliant instead of having it effectively removed from the game.  But even then, why downgrade it all the way to the T1 Smart?  At least give the ability the T2 Accute, the opportunity costs of an ability selection & the additional phrase required to cast after being upgraded are completely not worth a T1 buff.