My issue is that the LoP was already just borderline OK, and it bit me that a DW version was actually more powerful. Now that the speed/recovery bonuses have been unnecessarily nerfed and the W in WotEP stands for Wimpy, there’s no reason to play the build at all.

And I’m not interested in other builds for the Watcher. My companions can be anything but the Watcher must hit hard and fast without having to wear light armor or dual-wield. I could do that in the first game but Deadfire seems to be going out of its way to prevent it.

You can easily mod that, and a few other changes. Also remember how bad PoE was before 2.0. And even then it was bad compared to 3.0+. Balance is an iterative process. They deliver the fixes quickly and make it perfect too. But overall I think the game will be in a much better and more interesting place now, with actual challenge. Nothing wrong with making some adjustments you feel are necessary until we get even more official balancing. After all they did improve modding support for a reason.

According to the reddit thread linked in the first page, Xoti’s lantern no longer stops beneficial spells. Scaling with Religion has been nerfed drastically.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

You can easily mod that, and a few other changes. Nothing wrong with making some adjustments you feel are necessary until we get even more official balancing. After all they did improve modding support for a reason.

True. It doesn't look like I have much of a choice but to learn how to mod items and abilities.

However a build that requires mods to be good isn't a good build. I'd feel less butthurt if I picked up soap in a jail shower.

• Like 3

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I’m actually mad at myself for being surprised.

I'm holding off playing until the balance settles somewhat. I don't want to get attached to certain abilities or items then see them get nerfed.

I playing POTD now in the beta patch,

It is very difficult and i cant see them making it more difficult then this

That is why I was asking what items Phyriel had in mind. I mean, giving the Chromoprismatic Quarterstaff- 0.6 sec recovery, from  4sec default, @ Metaphysics 23 and calling it "skill scaling" sounds like a phrase from washing detergent marketing department. You mad bro, Josh. 

I am talking about this item in particular because I wanted to base a build around it but having a quick look at other items seems to me the item nerf is blanket rather than specific. Well, time is money. gg

That is why I was asking what items Phyriel had in mind. I mean, giving the Chromoprismatic Quarterstaff- 0.6 sec recovery, from  4sec default, @ Metaphysics 23 and calling it "skill scaling" sounds like a phrase from washing detergent marketing department. You mad bro, Josh. 

I am talking about this item in particular because I wanted to base a build around it but having a quick look at other items seems to me the item nerf is blanket rather than specific. Well, time is money. gg

It looks like this was an across the board change and all items that had recovery or action speed bonuses got the bonuses halved.

• Like 2

Hey AndreaColombo, really appreciate the work that you put into the LoP-build and sorry to read that you do no longer plan to support it. 

I am actually around level 8 following the build and although I understand that for you the 2h/heavy armor is sort of the centerpiece of the build, I am a bit more flexible here.   What changes would you recommend to make it viable in 1.1?  Cheers

Seems like a lot monk and fighter lovers mad at the new tune :p

Like who? All I see here is people agreeing with Monk and Fighter nerfs but disagreeing with many items nerfs, which were totally not necessary.

Hence why I loaded changes to Fighter and Monk and left everything else as it was since some nerfs are just stupid. Like Frostseeker nerf for example of Evocation gloves.

• Like 5

Can Swift Flurry and Cleaving Stance still proc themselves or has at least one sense-making nerf made it in?

What about Time Parasite stacking with itself?

Edited by AndreaColombo

and paladin self immolation is still at really high raw self damage that will kill you so it wasnt a mistake then?? bizare??

Bugfixes are of lower priority than balance in Obsidian games.

AFAIK Obs has confirmed it to be a bug.

Vancian =/= per rest.

According to the reddit thread linked in the first page, Xoti’s lantern no longer stops beneficial spells. Scaling with Religion has been nerfed drastically.

Does it still add the +1 monk resource?

Can anybody answer this for me?

Cheers

I'm holding off playing until the balance settles somewhat. I don't want to get attached to certain abilities or items then see them get nerfed.

I think i'm going to follow suit. What makes a fighter cool, they nerf charge, what makes a monk cool they nerf flurry, what makes frostseeker cool they nerf it? i'm not sure if obsidian has any idea what they are doing. guess i'll just stop playing the game for now and come back a year later or monitor the community beta tester being the guinea pig.

Edited by Archaven
  • Like 1

Is there any way to NOT download patches on Steam, except going offline at game launch?

Sadly no, it's the reason I always buy SP RPG games on GOG, because steam does not allow to disable upates totally. Only way on Steam is: Start offline, go to games, right click on game- properties, go to Updates and select "only update this game when I launch it". This way as long as you are in offline mode you will not update game you can play as you want.

Alternatively you can just copy crucial files from POE2 folder (like items, abilities, status effects etc.), update game and them copy paste old files and replace them and you have new game with old abilities, items etc. Nothing nerfed.

Edited by Voltron

In

If it now hits once and still has 1H damage, WotEP is pretty bad.

Even if it only has the base damage of a heavy one hander: it still hits several enemies at once with decent INT, has a longer reach than normal great swords (1.3 meters - not like a reach weapon with 1.8 but close) AND has some of the best enchantments in the game. Again the example of the 100% Riposte. You can roll a whatever/Wizard and riposte the crap out of everything around you with AoE attacks. With a Spellblade you even have the chance to riposte twice on the same miss (100% WotEP + 20% from Riposte passive). Barbs still proc Carnage on every hit it does (I guess). I can't see how that is pretty bad. It's not super OP anymore, that's correct. :) Also consider how early you get this.

I just retested my frontliner Aloth as Battlemage with it again (wears that weird but beautiful Illusion-Mask and wields WotEP) and it's still a lot of fun.

I'm doing the same with Aloth. How did you go about getting deflection high enough? Did you rely on Llengrath's Displaced Image by itself (which is what I'm doing), or did you use Arcane Veil instead or additionally?

Evocation gloves are still strong they give +2 dex +2 Explosives +1 Arcana and +1 Evocation PLs

Frostseeker is closer in line with other ranged weapons now, good because u can get it super early.

DoC BP is still the strongest BP ive found on my lvl 15 Character because of the +2 resources wich when multiclassed is +4 resources, the -10% Recovery time is a nice bonus.

I think i'm going to follow suit. What makes a fighter cool, they nerf charge, what makes a monk cool they nerf flurry, what makes frostseeker cool they nerf it? i'm not sure if obsidian has any idea what they are doing. guess i'll just stop playing the game for now and come back a year later or monitor the community beta tester being the guinea pig.

By cool u mean absolutely gamebreaking? I think Obsidian do know what they are doing, they are the ones to balance this game and with certain class abilities and easy to get weapons being borderline broken it's gonna be hard to balance the rest.

Thats not to say that everything Obsidian does makes any sense, but Monk, Fighter and Frostseeker nerfs does.

• Like 7

So far I am pleased with all the nerfs I see. Especially on the items that were brokenly strong and that i can now use.

However I am surprised by some comments saying that Cipher were in a meh spot. I just finished a PotD playthrough with a pure cipher (no-subclass), and it was way stronger than a lot of ther chars I tried.

Ring Leader is busted (and will be even more busted if there are more ennemies per encounter)

Time parasite was op to te point of being ridiculous. I am glad they nerfed it.

Pain block was too strong. For body attunement I have my doubts. But I think it followed a certain logic. clearly in release Deadfire, recovery and action speed were the absolute kings. We can see that they nerf a lot of -recov items (for the better, as those items were mandatory, making the others somewhat irrelevant, which is bad balance).

Then they nerf a lot of ways to get +armor. This is also, in a way, an indirect recovery nerf, as now if you want good armor you need to wear heavier armor. In addition, they want to make PotD ennemies more resilient, and a fast debuff of -5 armor was a huge hit to their survivability.

All in all, very excited to see those nerfs arrive, and PotD being adjusted. I'll start a new playthrough then!

Edited by Myrtillo

Ranger change: Twinned shot now costs 2 bond and gives 25% dmg. That's down from 3 and no extra dmg, right? Also masters call is 1 bond.

Yeah, it's a bit more worthy now.

Actually, concussive shot seems really good now, too (1 bond), play dead (2 bond), evasive fire (1 bond). Barring the lack of acc. boost, the ranger really looks like a fun single-class for me to play, especially if you want utility, and you don't mind spending points on the pet. I just counted, and with (i think it is) 28 points, you actually don't lack for good pick-options. Full ranger next playthrough for me, I'm happy.

Edit: Takedown Combo now increases dmg dealt to target by 100% as before, but for 10 sec!

Edited by Andronidas
  • Like 1