Is smoke veil rly broken or ppl just don't like it's mechanics?

I played a dagger rogue for 8 ish levels and never had a problem. I stopped myself because everyone spoke about smoke veil but I miss how fun the class was getting.  Are we sure it's not dots or combat ending that is dropping ppl out of stealth early?

Also, secondly: do you know if you use a rogue with escape and upgrade it, do you still get access to escape as well as the upgrade? Why are rogues not using escape, smoke veil and shadowstep+ instead of shadowing beyond if that is the case.

Besides dot or combat ending (especially solo) I've never had any issues with invisibility ending early.

Yes you can still use escape with shadowing beyond. The biggest difference between shadowing beyond and escape + smoke veil is the recovery time (and slightly longer casting time). With shadowing beyond after 0.5 seconds you teleport and are invisible with 0 recovery time. Escape -> Smoke Veil is: 0.5 seconds casting time, still visible additional 0.5 seconds casting, 3 seconds recovery time.

Ah ok, I wanted to try more single class rogue ideas that took escape, veil and one of the less popular escape upgrades... but got discouraged. The warning's were well meant but misplaced. "Wonky" or "cumbersome" as it is it is not "bugged". Ill avoid dot dmg and dot abilities and I should be fine. tyty.

• 3 weeks later...

If the combat ends with you standing next to an enemy with smoke veil i'd call it a bug for sure. It really diminishes its use. I recently had this issue with my rouge character going solo to assasinate a specific target and trying to not kill any of the guards and my veil broke due to the combat ending and i had to use empower to get another veil right at the exit of the building.