Is Modwyr the removed soul of Ydwin?

Is it just me, or do you think as well, that the sentient weapon Modwyr houses the removed soul of sidekick Ydwin? IMO story-wise it would make a lot of sense, but I guess it didn't make it in the final game (yet?). So far I failed to link the two of them together in the game. Would have been so nice to upgrade Ydwin from sidekick to a full companion after Modwyr's story is resolved, one way or another. Any thoughts?

No. First, their VO is different. Second, Modwyr was made a long time ago by some master animancer who specifically put somebody's soul in a sword. Ydwin experimented on herself for different reasons and her soul uncoupling from her body was a coincidental side effect, her soul is lost.

• Like 5

Ydwin is basically a fampyr. Her detached soul is "possessing" her dead body. She only looks alive because she's consuming essence to maintain her appearance.

Where do you find all of this out?

• Like 1

Ydwin is basically a fampyr. Her detached soul is "possessing" her dead body. She only looks alive because she's consuming essence to maintain her appearance.

Where do you find all of this out?

Modwyr comments when you first meet Ydwin that she feels very similar to a dargul. Ydwin tells you she severed her soul's connection to the wheel. And she needs luminous adra, which is full of essence. She nearly panics if you decline to let her join you. In the 1st game, an engwithan fampyr in Od Nua did something similar and fed off the statue to stay sane.

• Like 6

Modwyr comments when you first meet Ydwin that she feels very similar to a dargul. Ydwin tells you she severed her soul's connection to the wheel. And she needs luminous adra, which is full of essence. She nearly panics if you decline to let her join you. In the 1st game, an engwithan fampyr in Od Nua did something similar and fed off the statue to stay sane.

Damn, I missed a lot just because I didn't find that sword. That's a pretty big detail. Now I'm sad again that she didn't get to be a full companion.

• Like 1

Damn, I missed a lot just because I didn't find that sword. That's a pretty big detail. Now I'm sad again that she didn't get to be a full companion.

Join the club.

• Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

I'm not sure where the whole "she's a fampyr" thing is coming from? Last I checked, her soul is still very much connected to her body. It just won't be reincarnated when she dies? 

I'm pretty sure if you have high enough metaphysics (or maybe it was arcana? or like a scientist background maybe?) you get into basically a discussion with her about what happens when the soul gets separated in that way and basically go "that's how fampyrs are made"

I can confirm that you need quite high metaphysics score (in my case score of 5 was way too low) for her to admit that she's *technically* a fampyr - as a "acceptable side-effect". She was also very insistant on the *technically* part. She also won't be putting any part of your body in her mouth any time soon. Got to accept that.

Which is why I find this whole "sidekicks" idea so infuriating. Here, we have a high-functioning "accidental" fampyr hanging out with our party - and the writers happily decided not to adress that in any way, shape or form and simply leave it hanging. Bizzare approach.

• Like 2

Yes, but that doesn't mean that she's a fampyr (only that she will probably become one after her death), since she's very much alive. 

Let's say you are a wealthy noble who would like to cheat death. There are a variety of options at your disposal, but this offer from a shady animancer sounds the most painless. All he is going to do is bind your soul to your body, so that way when you die, your soul stays put and you still retain all your motor control.

Sign me up, you say. Suck on this, death! The animancer sets up some bizarre tools and machines, has you hold onto some copper wires, and before you know it the whole thing is over. He leaves and takes his fee. A few years later you die in a horrific skiing accident. Not to worry! Your soul isn't going anywhere. You are living large, my friend. But here's the thing. Your soul isn't going anywhere, but your body is. It starts to decompose. Slowly at first. A maggot here, a maggot there. And you are starting to get weird cravings, kind of like a pregnant woman, but instead of peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches, you could really go for some human flesh.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/65206-update-73-narrative-design-a-day-in-the-life-companion-goals-and-the-undead/

Yes, but that doesn't mean that she's a fampyr (only that she will probably become one after her death), since she's very much alive. 

Let's say you are a wealthy noble who would like to cheat death. There are a variety of options at your disposal, but this offer from a shady animancer sounds the most painless. All he is going to do is bind your soul to your body, so that way when you die, your soul stays put and you still retain all your motor control.

Sign me up, you say. Suck on this, death! The animancer sets up some bizarre tools and machines, has you hold onto some copper wires, and before you know it the whole thing is over. He leaves and takes his fee. A few years later you die in a horrific skiing accident. Not to worry! Your soul isn't going anywhere. You are living large, my friend. But here's the thing. Your soul isn't going anywhere, but your body is. It starts to decompose. Slowly at first. A maggot here, a maggot there. And you are starting to get weird cravings, kind of like a pregnant woman, but instead of peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwiches, you could really go for some human flesh.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/65206-update-73-narrative-design-a-day-in-the-life-companion-goals-and-the-undead/

Pretty sure she is supposed to be dead now, in that conversation, i think you even talk about how the body will start to rot without fresh essence and i think she goes like, "yeah, but luminous Adra, bruh"

• Like 2

Pretty sure she is supposed to be dead now, in that conversation, i think you even talk about how the body will start to rot without fresh essence and i think she goes like, "yeah, but luminous Adra, bruh"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it heavily implied that she actually died on the way to Deadfire? She talks about performing experiments on the boat to Nekataka and when asked for details she becomes extremely evasive and tries to technobabble herself away. That's the feel I got from that conversation.

Edited by aksrasjel
  • Like 1

Here, we have a high-functioning "accidental" fampyr hanging out with our party - and the writers happily decided not to adress that in any way, shape or form and simply leave it hanging. Bizzare approach.

No, they decided not to do that because the stretch goal was not reached.

No, they decided not to do that because the stretch goal was not reached.

To be honest, that's beside the point. I have more of a problem with the sidekicks as a concept in the first place. If the studio doesn't have money/time/resources to add a new companion - understood (although 5 million stretch goal was quite an overkill for "just" a companion). Cut the companion from the game and the problem is solved. But someone at Obsidian apparently wanted to have a cake and eat it too. So sidekicks (or at the very least Ydwin and Rekke) are half-finished companions with all the story and character hooks, that are not expanded upon. And they are somehow being called "a feature" of the game. Feature that may not work as intended, given how many people are asking for sidekicks to be expanded in DLCs (Seriously, you'd think Ydwin's last name is ExpandInDLC).

Sorry for being unecessarily grumpy.

• Like 6