Patch 1.1.0 Updates Thread

David Benefield

Question

Hello Beta Patch folk!

Version 1.1.0 is almost ready for release. The Devs have been working on this patch for quite a while, and our QA team has been doing the best they can, but we would love to get your help again in seeing if anything has snuck by them.

You can find instructions on how to opt in to the beta branch on this thread.

Due to the quantity of fixes in this patch (there are well over 1000 fixes in this update), we won't be exhaustively listing them all out. Below are all of the features and a small subset of the fixes in this patch. We'll continue adding to this list as we near the patch release.

For those who have modded the game

You may have to uninstall or update your mod when you update the game as they may not be compatible with v1.1.0

Build 1.1.0.0034 Updates

The following are all of the updates that occurred between build 31 and build 34.

• Fixed some Digsite Sublevel encounters that were not playing their emerges.
  • Null check fix in NavigationPath.ClearCorners which was occasionally causing transition / load failures booting back to main menu. (Forum log)
  • Fixed some Partial hair for Maia and Eder
  • Fixed all in-game achievement icons no longer displaying in the Achievement UI or the Achievement notification
  • ‘Start and Skip Intro’ localization added
  • Added some missing Korean Localization

Build 1.1.0.0031 Updates

The following are all of the updates that occurred between build 29 and build 31.

• Potential fix for very long start-up time (before the Obsidian logo was shown)
    • If you were experiencing this bug, please let us know if this is resolved for you in build 31.
  • Removed the "Show News" game option, which in turn fixes the Disabled News bug
  • Fixed issue with opening the Options in the Prologue after Character Creation resetting the player's class when arriving to their body.
  • Fix party AI not reconnecting decision trees when dismissed and recruited. 
  • Various Partial hair fixes
  • Fixed the Ability Bar subrows flickering for 1 frame when you hovered over a spell level icon.
  • Hasongo, Ashen Maw, and Ukaizo are now flagged as "Critical Path" for level scaling purposes. 
  • Fixed issue where auto-granted abilities weren't added back when retraining.

Build 1.1.0.0029 Updates

The following are all of the updates that occurred between build 23 and build 29.

• Companions now support Partial hair.
  • Mirke now has eyecolor
  • Dead body loot containers no longer display as unlooted after save / load or area transition.
  • Removed AnimationControllerPlayer leak that was likely causing the game to run slow after 4+ hours of play. 
  • Fixing HD Weapon textures not loading in paper doll.
  • All encounter changes for PotD are now in.
  • Correction! Maia will no longer leave the party right after entering The Brass Citadel, but will do so when the player approaches the Powderhouse.

• Ship combat balance and combatant count updates:
    • Made Closing to Board less punishing for players by lowering the base damage values for hull, sail, and crew damage.
    • Increased damage for ramming ships (both to the rammer and rammee).
    • Reduced the accuracy given per rank of cannoneer.
    • Reduced Ship health by ~20%.
    • Added opponent deck defender count to ship duel UI.
    • Globally Updated ship combats to have a 1:1 ratio of combatants to crew. Enemy Ship Defenders are now shown separately.

Build 1.1.0.0023 Updates

Please note that this is just a fraction of the changes made, we'll be updating this post to be more inclusive of all the changes soon.

New Features & Updates
  • Intro Skip Added
    • There is now a Start & Skip Intro button that brings the player directly to the second level of the game.
    • This feature becomes available after you have played through the intro once, or loaded a save (after getting the update).
  • Veteran & PotD Balance Improvements (Still in Progress!!)
    • Armor and Penetration now scale up on PotD.
    • Many encounters have had units swapped out for tougher versions.
    • Some encounters have had units added or set to ambush the party during the encounter.
    • In Progress: Build 23 does not yet contain our updates to the following areas, these should be in our next update to the beta
      • Hanging Sepulchers
      • Hasongo
      • Cliffside Temple
      • Drowned Barrows
      • The Ashen Bridge
      • The Jagged Keep
      • Lair of the Ancient
      • Poko Kahara
  • AI support and updates:
    • All Conditionals have now been categorized in the Custom AI menu
    • The AI Toggle button on the ability bar now supports cycling through: Attacking while using Abilities, Attacking while not using Abilities, and Not using AI
    • The following actions can now be conditionalized in Custom AI: Using Consumable quick slot items, Activating Modals, Switching Weapon Sets, and Basic Weapon Attacking
  • Ship Resupply
    • A  new "Refill Ship Supplies" button can now be used to conveniently purchase ship supplies from any storefront that sells Medical Supplies, Cannon Shot, and Repair Supplies
  • World Map Legend Added
    • A new Map Legend has been added that allows all icons on the World Map to be filtered by category
  • Character Appearance Improvements
    • Character Appearance can now be changed in-game via the Appearance button on the Inventory screen (Player and adventurers only)
    • Character Hairstyles are now rendered naturally with some Hats (Player and Adventurer only for now, companions coming before we launch the patch)
    • Eye Color customization has been added.
  • Graphics options expanded
    • New Toggles have been added to the Graphics menu to enable/disable certain visual features.
  • News Feed Updated
    • The News Feed on the Main Menu has been revamped to include links to the latest articles, DLC, and social media

Major Issues

• Leveling up characters with bonus weapon sets no longer causes a black screen
  • Resolved an issue that blocked users with certain permissions from loading saves.
  • Creating a multiclass character with spells and non-spell abilities no longer blocks character creation.
  • Many edge case crashes (reported by users) have also been resolved.

General Issues

• Retraining a character (Respec) will no longer remove learned talents & abilities such as watcher abilities nor purchased skill bonuses
  • Ships on the world map no longer move while time is stopped (If the player's vessel is not moving)
  • Watcher's can no longer purchase more supplies than their ship can hold
  • Eder & Xoti no longer repeat the same banter over and over.
  • And many many others! (We will continue to add the most prevalent ones to this list)
Quest Issues (Potential Spoilers!)
  • Sealed Fate now fails if Degnos dies before the quest is completed.

Edited by David Benefield
Updating spoiler that said the bug instead of the fix.
  • Like 34

I've seen quite the improvement in CPU usage in the game with one major exception:

The character creation screens make my CPU and fans spike at 100%. Even if I tab out of the game it's still going full throttle, so there is something fishy with character creation.

• Like 1

I've seen quite the improvement in CPU usage in the game with one major exception:

The character creation screens make my CPU and fans spike at 100%. Even if I tab out of the game it's still going full throttle, so there is something fishy with character creation.

Hmm thanks @EvilVIk, could you send us your output log after reproducing the issue? There might be something in there that helps us identify what's going wrong.

Output Log

When the issue occurs, close the game client, find this file, then attach it to your post

Steam Location: \Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity II\PillarsOfEternityII_Data\output_log.txt

GOG Location: \GOG\Games\Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire\PillarsOfEternityII_Data\output_log.txt

GOG Galaxy: \GalaxyClient\Games\Pillars of Eternity II Deadfire\PillarsOfEternityII_Data\output_log.txt

OSX Location: ~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log

• Like 1

I'm currently on the road traveling so can't play the game. Should be easy enough to start a new game, skip to character creation screens and just observe the crazy CPU usage.

I've kind of always had this issue since backer beta. Especially noticeable on my macbook pro, which isn't as pwoerful as my desktop PC. I can play the rest of the game mostly fine (i might have to tune down a setting), but character creation/level up is brutal for my fps.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 1

Very small update today (updated original post as well):

Build 1.1.0.0034 Updates

The following are all of the updates that occurred between build 31 and build 34.

• Fixed some Digsite Sublevel encounters that were not playing their emerges.
  • Null check fix in NavigationPath.ClearCorners which was occasionally causing transition / load failures booting back to main menu. (Forum log)
  • Fixed all in-game achievement icons no longer displaying in the Achievement UI or the Achievement notification
  • ‘Start and Skip Intro’ localization added
  • Added some missing Korean Localization
  • Like 2

Are there any further ability changes? May we expect any more or is the ability balance final?

All changes for the early June patch should be in the beta branch now. However I know there is more that the team wants to change, so do expect more in future patches.

Thanks for the info, even if it is a bit disappointing. As cipher player, I had hoped that some of the recent balance feedback would already flow into the final 1.1. version...

Are there any further ability changes? May we expect any more or is the ability balance final?

All changes for the early June patch should be in the beta branch now. However I know there is more that the team wants to change, so do expect more in future patches.

Seriously?  No fix for inability respec my chanter without losing the chant selected on character creation?

Seriously?  No fix for inability respec my chanter without losing the chant selected on character creation?

I'm sorry that is still happening for you @Awkward Davies, would you mind sending us a save file that we could reproduce the issue from? We think our fix may not be working for older saves, so any saves we can get would help us find out why. Saves are big, so we'd recommend either using a dropbox/google drive link or sending it to us at bugs@obsidian.net

Guest Jamila

I didn't pay much attention to combat before, because I only truly started playing the game with this beta, but is it normal to have your characters pushing each other in combat?

I forgot I changed my rogue's weapon and ordered her to shoot an enemy, but then she walked to get close and attack, pushing Eder to the side (placing him in the direction Aloth was sending a rolling flame). :banghead::facepalm:

Shouldn't they stand their ground and the other characters move around?

It is normal, if undesirable.

Uhh, right:

3ewNyR2h.jpg

FJJF1hAh.jpg

9eVPmaGh.jpg

I think all companions and the Watcher really need to be "combed" thoroughly all over again before release patch, because these bugs with protruding ears/hair and bald patches just keep piling up:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/101487-patch-110-updates-thread/?p=2044851

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/101487-patch-110-updates-thread/?p=2048583

• Like 2

By the way, some helmets would also allow for long hair to show. I hope there are plans to make that happen too.

On an unrelated note, why have Tekehu's eyes become green? IIRC, the game's dialog suggests pretty consistently that they are pitch black.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Hey All, I'm about to push out an update to the beta branch (Steam and GOG), here are the updates in this new build (also updated main post):

Build 1.1.0.0029 Updates

The following are all of the updates that occurred between build 23 and build 29.

• Companions now support Partial hair.
  • Mirke now has eyecolor
  • Dead body loot containers no longer display as unlooted after save / load or area transition.
  • Removed AnimationControllerPlayer leak that was likely causing the game to run slow after 4+ hours of play. 
  • Fixing HD Weapon textures not loading in paper doll.
  • All encounter changes for PotD are now in.
  • If the player decides not to blow up the Powder House on VTC line, Maia will still leave party.

• Ship combat balance and combatant count updates:
  • Made Closing to Board less punishing for players by lowering the base damage values for hull, sail, and crew damage.
Increased damage for ramming ships (both to the rammer and rammee).Reduced the accuracy given per rank of cannoneer.Reduced Ship health by ~20%.Added opponent deck defender count to ship duel UI.Globally Updated ship combats to have a 1:1 ratio of combatants to crew. Enemy Ship Defenders are now shown separately.

So happy you updated ship combat, though I didn't mind so much the brutal damage I took for Closing to Board a Galleon with my smaller ship, that just barely didn't sink my ship but I would have been okay if it actually sank my ship ... :) FYI - I really like the ship combat encounters!!!

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

I'm sorry that is still happening for you @Awkward Davies, would you mind sending us a save file that we could reproduce the issue from? We think our fix may not be working for older saves, so any saves we can get would help us find out why. Saves are big, so we'd recommend either using a dropbox/google drive link or sending it to us at bugs@obsidian.net

@David Benefield, are you saying I would have to start a completely new game to avoid the problem?  I have tried respecing after updating to latest beta and still have the same issue.  Do you need a save from before a broken respec or after?  Where do I find save files for a Steam installation of Deadfire?

PotD on first island is sick. I hardly imagine how to beat 4 boars (50+ damage, 10 Pen) + 4 flying mouses (30+ damage from distant attacks) with 3 (MC Rogue/Cipher, Eder, Xoty) chars.

Focusing one char leads to oneshot from 3-4 simultaneous attacks in 2 seconds no matter what you do. Armor is totally uselles.

Obsidian, it's a kind of trolling or what?

(I've beat PoE1 several times on PotD).

Edited by Phenomenum

Duskfall sword's Drawing Cut ability is bugged, it says "Grants" but doesn't actually grant anything anymore (why is everything getting nerfed?!):

sh14oQUl.jpg

Hmm... maybe belancing? Because people don't feel forced to use certain classes, abilitys or items (btw.feel punished if not using them)?

I thinks most nerfs are good, because abilitys and items should enable different playstyles, wich work more or less equal good.

But if you have 2-3 over powerd abilitys and items, then you have must-haves and only very few effective playstyles. Especially on veteran and PotD that is sad, because you have to be very effective.

• Like 1

Wenn etwas auf facebook steht, dann muss es ja wahr sein! ;-)

PotD on first island is sick. I hardly imagine how to beat 4 boars (50+ damage, 10 Pen) + 4 flying mouses (30+ damage from distant attacks) with 3 (MC Rogue/Cipher, Eder, Xoty) chars.

Focusing one char leads to oneshot from 3-4 simultaneous attacks in 2 seconds no matter what you do. Armor is totally uselles.

Use stealth, lure some away in a trap, use small corners, so you don't get surrounded, use bombs, drugs an potions. Maybe a custom adventurerer. The only fight i wasent able to win on the first island was against the looters. I come back with higher level and better equipment. And Tekehu and his icespells.

• Like 1

Wenn etwas auf facebook steht, dann muss es ja wahr sein! ;-)

You don't have a tank (companions never will be a good tanks) :p I started with off-tank MC Paladin (with illusion spells, so I have +50 Deflection)/Priest equipped with Quaterstaff and with its Defensive Strike (+20 Deflection) weapon ability. Both helped a lot when I needed more defense. Then I hired a custom adventurer and made him a pure tank Fighter/Chanter (with bonuses to armor rating when using a shield and summoning 6 skeletons). They tank very well. Then needed more dmg so I made offensive healing druid/ranger, then Aloth joined (Battlemage, defensive spells and summoning weapons) and finally pure dmg Wizard Evoker (but can heal well using scrolls because of high Might).

I've just finished first island with -28% exp mod and thinking of enabling more difficulty mods :p (whole Deadly Deadfire).

For me, PotD is very important to be challenging. To that point, that if it won't be hard enough, I won't buy DLCs :( IMO Veteran difficulty should be very hard and PotD should be almost impossible to beat.

If someone wants it less difficult, then lower the difficulty or build a better team with pure tank(s) and synergies and try to avoid joining too many companions - I think they are too weak for PotD difficulty, too bad that we can't just build them (choose subclass, abilities and spells/passives) like a custom char just after they joined us.

I couldn't finish PoE1 PotD with companions without changing theirs abilities, especially Aloth was very weak.

Are there any fixes for the companion dispoitions raising too quickly in this patch (currently of planned)? Out of all of the bugs that is the one I'm principally waiting to be fixed before I re-start (since interacting with the companions is one of the primary pluses of the these games in my own mind.)

(This isn't a moan, by-the-by, if it's not, it's not - them's the breaks and I'll just have to go bunnies and amuse myself for a while longer, but it would be nice to known one way or another.)

• Like 2

Are there any fixes for the companion dispoitions raising too quickly in this patch (currently of planned)? Out of all of the bugs that is the one I'm principally waiting to be fixed before I re-start (since interacting with the companions is one of the primary pluses of the these games in my own mind.)

(This isn't a moan, by-the-by, if it's not, it's not - them's the breaks and I'll just have to go bunnies and amuse myself for a while longer, but it would be nice to known one way or another.)

Agreed. I'm not gonna play the game again until numerous companions bugs and dispositions are fixed. Them being bugged is the biggest gripe for me as well.

Thanks a lot for adding eye colors and being able to customize your character during the game, those are both things I was really hoping for! :D

Not a bug but just a suggestion: it would be nice if you can click the shield icons at the bottom (the ones that say "Sex & Race", "Class Selection" etc.) to take you to that specific page. So e.g. if you want to change your race you don't have to click previous lots of times first. (Or maybe it is a bug cause when I click one of those shields, I do get the selection sound, but nothing happens)

• Like 3