Patch 1.1.0 Updates Thread

David Benefield

Question

Hello Beta Patch folk!

Version 1.1.0 is almost ready for release. The Devs have been working on this patch for quite a while, and our QA team has been doing the best they can, but we would love to get your help again in seeing if anything has snuck by them.

You can find instructions on how to opt in to the beta branch on this thread.

Due to the quantity of fixes in this patch (there are well over 1000 fixes in this update), we won't be exhaustively listing them all out. Below are all of the features and a small subset of the fixes in this patch. We'll continue adding to this list as we near the patch release.

For those who have modded the game

You may have to uninstall or update your mod when you update the game as they may not be compatible with v1.1.0

Build 1.1.0.0034 Updates

The following are all of the updates that occurred between build 31 and build 34.

• Fixed some Digsite Sublevel encounters that were not playing their emerges.
  • Null check fix in NavigationPath.ClearCorners which was occasionally causing transition / load failures booting back to main menu. (Forum log)
  • Fixed some Partial hair for Maia and Eder
  • Fixed all in-game achievement icons no longer displaying in the Achievement UI or the Achievement notification
  • ‘Start and Skip Intro’ localization added
  • Added some missing Korean Localization

Build 1.1.0.0031 Updates

The following are all of the updates that occurred between build 29 and build 31.

• Potential fix for very long start-up time (before the Obsidian logo was shown)
    • If you were experiencing this bug, please let us know if this is resolved for you in build 31.
  • Removed the "Show News" game option, which in turn fixes the Disabled News bug
  • Fixed issue with opening the Options in the Prologue after Character Creation resetting the player's class when arriving to their body.
  • Fix party AI not reconnecting decision trees when dismissed and recruited. 
  • Various Partial hair fixes
  • Fixed the Ability Bar subrows flickering for 1 frame when you hovered over a spell level icon.
  • Hasongo, Ashen Maw, and Ukaizo are now flagged as "Critical Path" for level scaling purposes. 
  • Fixed issue where auto-granted abilities weren't added back when retraining.

Build 1.1.0.0029 Updates

The following are all of the updates that occurred between build 23 and build 29.

• Companions now support Partial hair.
  • Mirke now has eyecolor
  • Dead body loot containers no longer display as unlooted after save / load or area transition.
  • Removed AnimationControllerPlayer leak that was likely causing the game to run slow after 4+ hours of play. 
  • Fixing HD Weapon textures not loading in paper doll.
  • All encounter changes for PotD are now in.
  • Correction! Maia will no longer leave the party right after entering The Brass Citadel, but will do so when the player approaches the Powderhouse.

• Ship combat balance and combatant count updates:
    • Made Closing to Board less punishing for players by lowering the base damage values for hull, sail, and crew damage.
    • Increased damage for ramming ships (both to the rammer and rammee).
    • Reduced the accuracy given per rank of cannoneer.
    • Reduced Ship health by ~20%.
    • Added opponent deck defender count to ship duel UI.
    • Globally Updated ship combats to have a 1:1 ratio of combatants to crew. Enemy Ship Defenders are now shown separately.

Build 1.1.0.0023 Updates

Please note that this is just a fraction of the changes made, we'll be updating this post to be more inclusive of all the changes soon.

New Features & Updates
  • Intro Skip Added
    • There is now a Start & Skip Intro button that brings the player directly to the second level of the game.
    • This feature becomes available after you have played through the intro once, or loaded a save (after getting the update).
  • Veteran & PotD Balance Improvements (Still in Progress!!)
    • Armor and Penetration now scale up on PotD.
    • Many encounters have had units swapped out for tougher versions.
    • Some encounters have had units added or set to ambush the party during the encounter.
    • In Progress: Build 23 does not yet contain our updates to the following areas, these should be in our next update to the beta
      • Hanging Sepulchers
      • Hasongo
      • Cliffside Temple
      • Drowned Barrows
      • The Ashen Bridge
      • The Jagged Keep
      • Lair of the Ancient
      • Poko Kahara
  • AI support and updates:
    • All Conditionals have now been categorized in the Custom AI menu
    • The AI Toggle button on the ability bar now supports cycling through: Attacking while using Abilities, Attacking while not using Abilities, and Not using AI
    • The following actions can now be conditionalized in Custom AI: Using Consumable quick slot items, Activating Modals, Switching Weapon Sets, and Basic Weapon Attacking
  • Ship Resupply
    • A  new "Refill Ship Supplies" button can now be used to conveniently purchase ship supplies from any storefront that sells Medical Supplies, Cannon Shot, and Repair Supplies
  • World Map Legend Added
    • A new Map Legend has been added that allows all icons on the World Map to be filtered by category
  • Character Appearance Improvements
    • Character Appearance can now be changed in-game via the Appearance button on the Inventory screen (Player and adventurers only)
    • Character Hairstyles are now rendered naturally with some Hats (Player and Adventurer only for now, companions coming before we launch the patch)
    • Eye Color customization has been added.
  • Graphics options expanded
    • New Toggles have been added to the Graphics menu to enable/disable certain visual features.
  • News Feed Updated
    • The News Feed on the Main Menu has been revamped to include links to the latest articles, DLC, and social media

Major Issues

• Leveling up characters with bonus weapon sets no longer causes a black screen
  • Resolved an issue that blocked users with certain permissions from loading saves.
  • Creating a multiclass character with spells and non-spell abilities no longer blocks character creation.
  • Many edge case crashes (reported by users) have also been resolved.

General Issues

• Retraining a character (Respec) will no longer remove learned talents & abilities such as watcher abilities nor purchased skill bonuses
  • Ships on the world map no longer move while time is stopped (If the player's vessel is not moving)
  • Watcher's can no longer purchase more supplies than their ship can hold
  • Eder & Xoti no longer repeat the same banter over and over.
  • And many many others! (We will continue to add the most prevalent ones to this list)
Quest Issues (Potential Spoilers!)
  • Sealed Fate now fails if Degnos dies before the quest is completed.

Edited by David Benefield
Updating spoiler that said the bug instead of the fix.
  • Like 34

Respeccing a multiclass Watcher still causes you to lose 1 Ability Point from the second class you would otherwise get on character creation, as far as I can tell.

Confirm can dev also check Multi class and Solo Class.. 

Please and thanks 

Good luck on future Patches!

them fixing things seems to break more things than it fixes lol

That is the nature of software development.

Now you know why a patch isn't released the moment an issue is fixed, and instead they take a few weeks to test.

Is there any word on FPS drop fixes? I have a GTX 1080, i7 7700k, which can run any game on ultra. But when I cast Mirror Image in this game I get virtually unplayable FPS. I go down from 60 to 10-15. 

Please fix this! Ruins my game, and I understand many other people have a similar issue.

Glad to know I'm not the only one. For whatever reason, whenever Mirrored Image gets cast, everything seizes up for a split second. And I can play Fallout 4 on high settings at 1440p (not quite 4k, but still).

them fixing things seems to break more things than it fixes lol

That is the nature of software development.

Now you know why a patch isn't released the moment an issue is fixed, and instead they take a few weeks to test.

Is test-driven development not a thing in the games industry? Where I work and have worked (at various major web/internet companies), unit tests and integration tests are the norm along with QA, so sometimes I find it hard to see how sometimes obvious regressions make their way in.

Is test-driven development not a thing in the games industry? Where I work and have worked (at various major web/internet companies), unit tests and integration tests are the norm along with QA, so sometimes I find it hard to see how sometimes obvious regressions make their way in.

It is generally not a thing, no, a game is as far removed from an enterprise application as possible and often has a ton of stuff that can't really be unit tested in a sane way, like physics interactions, or quest scripts written by designers.

That's not to say that regression and unit testing are not done, they are where it makes sense, but TDD? No.

And anyway, my point was more "this is why patches take time to come out even if the issue and fix are known, because it's easy to introduce regressions." A lot of people not familliar with development think that once a dev knows about an issue, it should be hotfixed immediately, without realizing how easy it is for one fix to break 3 other things.

• Like 2

I didn't pay much attention to combat before, because I only truly started playing the game with this beta, but is it normal to have your characters pushing each other in combat?

I forgot I changed my rogue's weapon and ordered her to shoot an enemy, but then she walked to get close and attack, pushing Eder to the side (placing him in the direction Aloth was sending a rolling flame). :banghead::facepalm:

Shouldn't they stand their ground and the other characters move around?

sign.jpg

I just joined 1.1 with my lvl 15 party and my faction with Huana took an enormous hit. The prince and queen accuse me of killing all the watershapers (they are still alive and the guild master chats with me friendly) and neither talk to me further. I don't think I've ever killed a Huana, even, ever.

I am about to travel to Ashenmaw.

Out of curiosity, any news on what's up with the Engwithan sublevel issue? I've only gotten into it once without it crashing and so that's kind of it for Deadfire for me since I can't get through that area at all right now so I've been going through the first game again in the meanwhile, but I was kind of hoping it might be fixed in the patch but so far all I'm seeing of what people are doing with the beta is that they're getting crashes for saves in the area now too that they hadn't been getting before...

• Like 1

Hey All, I'm about to push out an update to the beta branch (Steam and GOG), here are the updates in this new build (also updated main post):

Build 1.1.0.0029 Updates

The following are all of the updates that occurred between build 23 and build 29.

• Mirke now has eyecolor
  • Dead body loot containers no longer display as unlooted after save / load or area transition.
  • Removed AnimationControllerPlayer leak that was likely causing the game to run slow after 4+ hours of play. 
  • Fixing HD Weapon textures not loading in paper doll.
  • All encounter changes for PotD are now in.
  • If the player decides not to blow up the Powder House on VTC line, Maia will still leave party.

• Ship combat balance and combatant count updates:
    • Made Closing to Board less punishing for players by lowering the base damage values for hull, sail, and crew damage.
    • Increased damage for ramming ships (both to the rammer and rammee).
    • Reduced the accuracy given per rank of cannoneer.
    • Reduced Ship health by ~20%.
    • Added opponent deck defender count to ship duel UI.
    • Globally Updated ship combats to have a 1:1 ratio of combatants to crew. Enemy Ship Defenders are now shown separately.
  • Like 8

Maia leaves the party if you blow up the powder house, since the powder house belongs to her faction—the Royal Deadfire Company. The patch makes her leave even if you decide against it, as it seems.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

• If the player decides not to blow up the Powder House on VTC line, Maia will still leave party.

What? Shouldn't this be the other way around?

It's probably

if you refuse RDC offer to kill the queen and kill them when they turn hostile - this way skips the powder house stage, because RDC is already out of the picture. It's not logical indeed for her to stay after you murder the whole Brass Citadel, even in self defense.

They should also fix Pallegina then, in case the player joins RDC she should also leave. She's rather bugged at the end, iirc, with one of the factions she doesn't even have ending slides.

Edited by Aramintai

Maia isnt getting partial hair :^(

Can confirm - Maia is still bald while wearing hats.

Also, all companions suffer from bald patches like these with a certain type of hat:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/101487-patch-110-updates-thread/?p=2044851

And Serafen's (probably any orlan too) ears and fur are protruding through various hats:

ugtyWBj.jpg

8aG97xc.jpg

ctNZXl7.jpg

Edited by Aramintai
  • Like 1

By the way, achievements are no longer displaying icons in the achievements menu (this was true of the previous 1.1 build as well.)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

thanks for the .29 update. any chance that the .23 list will be added on to? there are discussions everywhere about all sorts of balance changes and it'd be good to have some sort of authoritative (even if not comprehensive) list.

Sorry about that, I updated the spoiler note for Maia to be correct, thanks for pointing that out.

Also, we have a potential fix to the *very long* startup that some users have been reporting (please let us know if build 31 fixes this, or if it is still happening for you!). Here are the changes in build 31, updating original post as well:

Build 1.1.0.0031 Updates

• Potential fix for very long start-up time (before the Obsidian logo was shown)
    • If you were experiencing this bug, please let us know if this is resolved for you in build 31.
  • Removed the "Show News" game option, which in turn fixes the Disabled News bug
  • Fixed issue with opening the Options in the Prologue after Character Creation resetting the player's class when arriving to their body.
  • Fix party AI not reconnecting decision trees when dismissed and recruited. 
  • Various Partial hair fixes
  • Fixed the Ability Bar subrows flickering for 1 frame when you hovered over a spell level icon.
  • Hasongo, Ashen Maw, and Ukaizo are now flagged as "Critical Path" for level scaling purposes. 
  • Fixed issue where auto-granted abilities weren't added back when retraining.
  • Like 4

Xoti dialogs after she harvest ghosts still dont work. Nether a some over dialogs of companions. WANT TO TALK flash and generic dialog starts. Will this bug even be acknowledged ever? 

Ahh, so it is a bug, I just thought I did something wrong.

Anyway, the Engwithan digsite lower level transition now crashes the game for me while it didn't before.

The Engwithian digsite lower level has been crashing for me since day one. It's a critical bug that prevents progress and should be high up on the agenda.

Yeah, any saves made in the Engwithan Digsite are not loading at all now, which is kind of a bummer if they're the only ones you have.

I've had that problem in the release version as well. Though it's not even as much of a problem as the freezing of the game when entering the Digsite lower level.

These two bugs might be connected - something at the Digsite is screwing up the game.

• Like 1

Hey All, I'm about to push out an update to the beta branch (Steam and GOG), here are the updates in this new build (also updated main post):

Build 1.1.0.0029 Updates

Not sure if this counts as a really minor nitpick, but Mirke doesn't seem to have her bangs anymore with the tricorn hat after the partial hair update.

Build 1.1.0.0029 Updates

Any details on this? Just curious if it is something other Unity devs should be aware of.

Edited by Rollo