import/export and coop are staples of infinity engine games. it help game reach bigger audience and stay alive way pass its prime. just look at divinity original sin 2 and bg1&2 ee, even obsidian's own nwn2 still have tons of ppl playing it on private severs.  i have a few friends i always bring with me to play top down rpg with, but they all went hard pass on deadfire because there is no coop. they are more excited about icewind dale ee 2.5 update than the release of this beautiful brand new game. for a game that is aiming to catch old school infinity fans i think thats a huge missed opportunity.

• Like 1

For the record I've been playing these games since BG came out so I'm what you may call an old school fan and I've never played multi or coop nor do I have any interest in doing so. 

The story in BG revolved around the Bhaalspawn and in Pillars it revolves around the Watcher which means that if you're going to play with friends they're going to be stuck playing sidekicks. Having a multiplayer element in IWD and NWN made more sense. 

Don't get me wrong I don't really care if coop is in as long as it doesn't impact the single player experience. 

I just wanted to point out that many original fans probably never played these games for the multiplayer (it certainly didn't help that nineteen years ago the internet wasn't what it is today). 

• Like 5

Obviously you're not the only person who'd like it, but implementing co-op is enormously difficult. Multiplayer in general is very difficult to manage and causes all sort of problems on its own.

• Like 5

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

For the record I've been playing these games since BG came out so I'm what you may call an old school fan and I've never played multi or coop nor do I have any interest in doing so. 

The story in BG revolved around the Bhaalspawn and in Pillars it revolves around the Watcher which means that if you're going to play with friends they're going to be stuck playing sidekicks. Having a multiplayer element in IWD and NWN made more sense. 

Don't get me wrong I don't really care if coop is in as long as it doesn't impact the single player experience. 

I just wanted to point out that many original fans probably never played these games for the multiplayer (it certainly didn't help that nineteen years ago the internet wasn't what it is today). 

thats kinda my point. that having multiplayer in those old games did not kept single players like u from playing it, but will bring a lot more ppl in. and the game not be revolve around multiplayer to be multiplayer. 

Edited by AnarchyJesus

As someone who staunchly loves big, epic, single-player cRPGs, I would normally disagree with having co-op in this. With that said, I do miss the days of local LAN parties playing Icewind Dale II. I remember creating characters until the early morning hours with my friends and then setting out on the adventure. Great times. Having like 3 or 4 computers in one room, all linked together was epic.

• Like 4

thats kinda my point. that having multiplayer in those old games did not kept single players like u from playing it, but will bring a lot more ppl in. and the game not be revolve around multiplayer to be multiplayer. 

Fair enough. 

Call me a pessimist but I don't believe people who have no interest in playing a single player isometric RPG would be dying to play the same game if it featured multiplayer. 

The way I see things (and I may be wrong) people who enjoy these games and like playing with friends would enjoy a mutliplayer experience but people who just like playing with friends would probably find a game that is less story driven more appealing (after all there is no denying that multiplayer is a big part of the appeal of action RPGs like Diablo and such). 

• Like 1

They should implement Coop simply to make sure they don't end up bankrupt, Divinity Original Sin 2 has sold more than 1.2 million units while Pillars of Eternity 2 has sold less than 300.000

Edited by Dodo00d

They should implement Coop simply to make sure they don't end up bancrupt, Divinity Original Sin 2 has sold more than 1.2 million units while Pillars of Eternity 2 has sold less than 300.000

yeah im also kinda disappointed they didt get to work on fallout 76

NO

I don't want POE to do coop.

Game has budget and making coop takes out that budget hence less of single player experience. Secondly having coop when people can be annoying can make game way unfun. I hate idea waiting for someone who shopping, dislike someone ruining my game cause got bored decided to kill people for fun. I dislike when people start something then get bored and disappear leaving it half finished.

There are lots of coop games stop trying make everything mainstream, its nice having some games that single player only. 

• Like 3

NO

Game has budget and making coop takes out that budget hence less of single player experience. Secondly having coop when people can be annoying can make game way unfun. I hate idea waiting for someone who shopping, dislike someone ruining my game cause got bored decided to kill people for fun. I dislike when people start something then get bored and disappear leaving it half finished.

There are lots of coop games stop trying make everything mainstream, its nice having some games that single player only. 

1 "Game has budget" having coop = more players = more money hence more of single player experience.

2 dont like coop? dont play coop.

3 was iwd 1&2 nwn 1&2, bg 1&2 all too mainstream for you? because you know they all had coop right? and poe was inspired by those horrible lamestream games.

Edited by AnarchyJesus

They should implement Coop simply to make sure they don't end up bankrupt, Divinity Original Sin 2 has sold more than 1.2 million units while Pillars of Eternity 2 has sold less than 300.000

If adding half-assed coop would boost PoE sales by 700.000, than sure why not. If it would work like in IE games I wouldn’t touch it, but money is money.

I wouldn’t like for Deadfire to be designed with coop - I enjoyed Deadfire quite a bit, Divinity not so much - the latter is clearly designed to be played with people and doesn’t work that well as singleplayer experience (just as IE didn’t quite work as coop,games).

I somehow doubt, that masses are looking at Deadfire and think: “if only it has multiplayer I would buy it”.

• Like 2

If adding half-assed coop would boost PoE sales by 700.000, than sure why not. If it would work like in IE games I wouldn’t touch it, but money is money.

I wouldn’t like for Deadfire to be designed with coop - I enjoyed Deadfire quite a bit, Divinity not so much - the latter is clearly designed to be played with people and doesn’t work that well as singleplayer experience (just as IE didn’t quite work as coop,games).

I somehow doubt, that masses are looking at Deadfire and think: “if only it has multiplayer I would buy it”.

half assed ie co-op is all im asking for. anecdotally speaking i can make 4 ppl buy the game that are not even thinking about getting it now if it had somekind half ass co-op. i didt play divinty 2 but it sure solid well

Dude, you're thinking like a marketer, not a designer. Would having the words MULTIPLAYER in big caps on the box sell more copies initially? Yeah, maybe. But is Deadfire a game that needs multiplayer? Would it work well? I doubt it.

Anyway, they're still experimenting with various aspects of single player. When they have the single player down perfect, then maybe they can look into multi. 

NO

1 "Game has budget" having coop = more players = more money hence more of single player experience.

2 dont like coop? dont play coop.

3 was iwd 1&2 nwn 1&2, bg 1&2 all too mainstream for you? because you know they all had coop right? and poe was inspired by those horrible lamestream games.

Wrong for POE 3 to be coop game the budget set before it sells anything and therefore budget for coop comes out single player dropping single player budget and therefore experience.

Now if POE 3 sells well and is in part due to coop then POE 4 will get bigger budget, but doesn't mean that single player get any more budget as if does to well as coop then more money be spent on the coop. 

So therefore no I don't want risk single player experience on coop as it possible it could ruin single player aspect.

If having coop brings more players then its an after the games made effect, your statements simple not logical so is seriously flawed.