I never cared for combat stealth in POE 1. It required a lot of micro before every fight, and it was always better to just flank enemies ASAP. In Deadfire, is it even worth taking the time to stealth and try to backstab for EVERY encounter, from your experience?

Furthermore, is it worth spending the Guile points on combat-invis skills? It seems like the time and points spent for combat invis would be better off spent on other attacks or debuffs.

I will use Stealth for RP purposes and the scripted encounters, but it seems like too much for all combat encounters. Is there a way to 'auto stealth' for the Rogue's AI? 

Thanks! 

Entering combat from stealth is worth it imo but burning guile on invisibility is not.

I chose the smoke veil or something. I thought the idea is to allow me to go stealth again for another backstab. It seems like it doesn't do anything. I try to attack but my character doesn't move. A waste of skillpoints.

• Like 2

Both combat and out-of-combat Stealth are dramatically better than they were in PoE1. There are actually, like, discernible rules, and a relatively low Stealth rank will actually take you a relatively long way.

• Like 2

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

It's definitely worth it if you enjoy it. Check my Bleak Huntress build where I use stealth to delete enemies and Smoke Veil to trigger another assassination. This is with range weapons but you can easly change it to melee option (best dual wielding sabers or swords) for CQC assassination.

I enjoy stealth in this game more than in PoE1

• Like 1

It's still a bit buggy, but using Arqebus / Arbelest out of a Smoke Veil works okay for backstabbing, and the Assassin passive is really strong.  Melee weapons aren't working yet though, so it probably sours a lot of peoples experience.

• Like 1

Stealth offers a lot of benefits: pre-trapping, positioning and bonus damage (especially with backstab). With that said it's inherently micro heavy. Especially with where the difficulty is right now you could argue a fighter/monk who could just face tank everything would be more optimal. Games are about having fun so play how you want.

Yes if you have the build for it. My Assassin/Devoted gets +25 acc from attacking from stealth and backstab dmg bonus.

With enough stealth you just enter combat and walk to up the guy you want smack, zero micro. Then you either smoke bomb and take another whack for loads of damage or stealt teleport to next target.p

If stealth isn't your thing, why don't you just drop the rogue from your party and run in like a barbarian? It's not like there's a key party member that's rogue only.

Personally, I love stealth, but as others have mentioned, some of the rogues abilities don't work quite as well as advertised. 

If you are stealthing into melee then it's best to either backstab a stationary target or have your tank engage and then backstab. Else you get an attack animation while your target is walking away and you dont hit, target out of reach gets displayed in the combat log. IME this is the only time sneak attack doesnt work.

You can also combine backstabs with other attacks like finishing blow of FoD or whatever for even more damage.

Edited by Razorchain