I've tried to get a negative reaction out of Aloth for using the brothel and failed. He even likes the one who reads poetry, but suprisingly won't give approval for it, he just comments gleefully.

Also, let me guess, you had a laugh with Tekehu in the inn? xD

Yes, finding Tekehu's debauchery amusing really pisses the elf off. Maybe he's just jealous.
He's already at -1 with both Serafen and Tekehu.

You are doing well to only be at -1. Aloth is usually at -2 with Tekehu for me round about instantly.

• Like 1

nvAeseu.png

I've tried to get a negative reaction out of Aloth for using the brothel and failed. He even likes the one who reads poetry, but suprisingly won't give approval for it, he just comments gleefully.

You probably did not butter Tekehu up in his pick-up conversation or weren't flippant enough on Port Maje. I hit -1 right after getting Tekehu and -2 after inn+brothel. 

• Like 2

You probably did not butter Tekehu up in his pick-up conversation or weren't flippant enough on Port Maje. I hit -1 right after getting Tekehu and -2 after inn+brothel. 

I tried it with my Bleak Walker but failed. Aloth must secretly admire him xD I ditched the character though as I didn't feel I'd done the Bleak Walker thing right, he was more like some kind of Loki character.

nvAeseu.png

I wonder if he finds it a) irresponsible; b) traditional or c) prideful.

All three.

I get that bug in almost every single game. Dunno what I'm doing wrong, but my Aloth rivalmance is on hold until it gets fixed.

It's strange, because pre-patches -1 triggered normally for me and I was able to go through all the dialogue. I told Aloth he was misunderstanding my Cleverness because it is how I cope with difficult decisions.

Aloth massages his temples, shaking his head.

The poor lad is sooo buggy even now.

I actually gained rep in the brothel while talking to his 'old friend', and he completely ignored me while I boffed every employee in the place!  :blink:

I made a point of hiring all their services, because I was curious to see if I could tick him off... nope... though I still haven't gained more than a couple of teeny bits of rep with him naturally, and he's still best buddies with Serafen, and Eder. He does seem to be liking xoti less and less though. Maybe she's too... happy for him?  :facepalm:

• Like 1

I actually made a mod to add some dispositions to him - and now that the beta patch fixes the conflicting ones - I can upload it if anyone's interested? The only real difference from the one previously mentioned in this thread is it adds 'Progressive' as a positive topic to anti-leaden key versions. I was also thinking about adding a variant of 'Pious' to a pro-leaden key Aloth as well.

I would be all over that! I'd even can 20+ hours of gameplay to start again with it installed  :w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:

I mean he actually laughed in the first game... and said such plebeian phrases as "horse****". Surely he has SOME 'normal' likes? 

Edited by Noctoi

yeah, I set up this playthrough with the idea of an Aloth romance, even installed the mod that was supposed to make it more fun.

result?

did everything right, finished his quest, got his rep up to 2, and... no romance trigger.

So sorry I turned down fishboy now.  he would have been a lot more fun.

did everything right, finished his quest, got his rep up to 2, and... no romance trigger.

Sounds like you didn't choose the right path through the +2 rep conversation. If you still have a save before the convo, you could go back and try again (or use the Unity mod to cheat and set his romance flag anyway ;) ).

But keep in mind that the Aloth romance, like Aloth, is very restrained and low key. If Tekehu is more your idea of fun, definitely go for Tekehu - you're liable to be disappointed in how the Aloth romance develops.

Edited by Tarlonniel

There does seem to be a general concept of males being more laid back/self confident (at least superficially)/accepting/able to question authority/possibly more capable of empathy?

More laid back and confident, that I see. At least in Serafen and Tekehu, considering how it seems that Edér still hasn't found what he was looking for by the beginning of Deadfire.

Empathy is also not a given for all. I can see it in Tekehu very clearly, but Edér is probably the least empathic person ever (*that* Iselmyr dialogue, anyone?). :p A shame he didn't learn anything in that regard, as he was already that careless in the original Pillars. I'm also not sure he learned a lesson this time around, so he could certainly use a bit of character development there!

I think the companions as a whole are good characters, and interesting to interact with. But it is indeed a bit of a shame that we didn't get a shady/flamboyant female companion to balance it all out better. Xoti is way off the goofy charts, though. :huh: I think of all the companions in all the games, I like her the least.

I agree, if ever there was a game that had room for an Isabela style character, it’s deadfire... though I’d prefer the slightly less irrational and more proportionally breasted Origins version rather than the completely over the top DA:2 style pirate queen...

• Like 1

Sounds like you didn't choose the right path through the +2 rep conversation. If you still have a save before the convo, you could go back and try again (or use the Unity mod to cheat and set his romance flag anyway ;) ).

But keep in mind that the Aloth romance, like Aloth, is very restrained and low key. If Tekehu is more your idea of fun, definitely go for Tekehu - you're liable to be disappointed in how the Aloth romance develops.

I have the console mod, been using it for a long time.  where do you see the ability to set the romance flag?  I must be blind.

also.... is this the conversation you mean?

because if it is, I have never gotten that conversation.  not after I finished his quest, not after several rep boosts after that even.

hmm, maybe if I set his reputation LOWER than 2, change areas, then reset it higher than 2 now that I have done his quest, it will trigger?

*shrug*

sooooo many little bugs in this game.  just like PoE 1.

When will I learn.  never play an Obsidian game until 6 months after release, at least.

Edited by Ichthyic

I have the console mod, been using it for a long time.  where do you see the ability to set the romance flag?  I must be blind.

If you have the latest update installed, go to the journal screen and bring up the mod window. It will have the option to list globals. Click that, then click on the find/search option and type in n_aloth_p2_player_romance. When you find it, set it to 2.

It's the conversation starting at 10:00 in the video you posted. I've never had a problem with it triggering, but as you said, there are so many little bugs it feels like an anthill in here sometimes... (still love the game!) ;)

Edited by Tarlonniel
  • Like 2

ahh, the journal screen!  I kept looking under character reps.

doh.

just checked.  yeah, that flag was still set at 0 and had not changed since he first joined, even though I encouraged him in the earliest conversation where I ask him if he had ever considered there might be something between us.

my guess is that's where it went wrong, and never triggered the followup conversation after I finished his quest.

hopefully that will work.

edit:

nope.  setting that flag to 2 might tag the romance as active in some way, but there are no additional options when you talk to him, nor does he react at all when transitioning areas, camping, or anything else.

any other ideas?

his main conversation dialogue and quest dialogue are at stage 6.  could be those already bypass any romance options?

meh, I've wasted enough of your time on something that is obviously just broken.

maybe if I ever do another playthrough.  but in this playthrough now that in essence I have rejected every romance option because I was waiting for Aloth to do... something, I guess I'm free to just dump everyone and go solo.

edit 2:

well, I left it at "2", and while there haven't been any significant dialogue changes, at least now I occasionally get the very subtle notifications we're a "couple", so it DID seem to set that flag correctly.  just never got the triggering conversation.

meh.  good enough.

Edited by Ichthyic

ahh, the journal screen!  I kept looking under character reps.

doh.

just checked.  yeah, that flag was still set at 0 and had not changed since he first joined, even though I encouraged him in the earliest conversation where I ask him if he had ever considered there might be something between us.

my guess is that's where it went wrong, and never triggered the followup conversation after I finished his quest.

hopefully that will work.

edit:

nope.  setting that flag to 2 might tag the romance as active in some way, but there are no additional options when you talk to him, nor does he react at all when transitioning areas, camping, or anything else.

any other ideas?

his main conversation dialogue and quest dialogue are at stage 6.  could be those already bypass any romance options?

meh, I've wasted enough of your time on something that is obviously just broken.

maybe if I ever do another playthrough.  but in this playthrough now that in essence I have rejected every romance option because I was waiting for Aloth to do... something, I guess I'm free to just dump everyone and go solo.

This was my last pt. I was playing my canon Watcher who I wanted to be with Aloth, but nope, Aloth wasn't going there. Apparently male moongodlike aren't his cuppa. (Aloth: I fink u freaky and I don't like it a lot). I had to cheat with the console (but only had the last quest group left to do). The convo didn't trigger until I was in the palace after Magran's Teeth, which also meant I had to throw myself at him in front of all and sundry, but whatever xD That playthrough half of his personal quest didn't trigger either, so I only got to do the end bit of it, which was really weird (I did the places involved in the right order). Anyway, the playthrough was ruined either way since I'd compromised the character's personality to please Mister Nosesigh and cheating made me feel like he was forcing himself on Aloth. (Shimmer: U fink I'm freaky but I'm a cipher so you'll like me a lot). Talking of, has anyone noticed people in Deadfire seem to exclusively sigh through their noses?

I'd say his romance is definitely worth doing if you like him, but you should try to trigger it asap, as most of it is ambient comments. ASAP either by cheating or playing the kind of (imo dull) character Aloth exclusively actually likes.

The poor lad is sooo buggy even now.

I actually gained rep in the brothel while talking to his 'old friend', and he completely ignored me while I boffed every employee in the place!  :blink:

I made a point of hiring all their services, because I was curious to see if I could tick him off... nope... though I still haven't gained more than a couple of teeny bits of rep with him naturally, and he's still best buddies with Serafen, and Eder. He does seem to be liking xoti less and less though. Maybe she's too... happy for him?  :facepalm:

LOL. How weird that some people lose rep in the brothel and you gained it. I've never managed to get + or - there. I'm pretty sure he'll like Xoti again in 2 min, all she has to do is prattle about her god /soul reaping and he'll be spewing approval like nobody's business. Yesterday he was doing that for me with Maia to the point I felt a bit sick. In that one scene in Port Maje where you meet up with the assassin that's being spied on, my character gave in to a rare moment of prankery (not really keen on playing Maia's tool after knowing what happens), and he even approved when she came out with one of her bossy lines telling me to behave. Frost was not amused. On the upside, I got the first ever comment from him that actually seemed to indicate morality as opposed to brainless dis/approval of superfical bs in Tikawara. Sadly it wasn't something you can get approval for though.

I'm really conflicted about this. I still love Aloth, but at the same time I can't stand / am bored / annoyed by the companions he likes and having them around makes me start rolling my eyes as much as he does, while carting the ones he hates (and I happen to like) around makes me despair at his own compulsive :rolleyes: He seems much happier when romanced and I love the stuff he says, but idk if I can inflict the misery surrounding it on any more of my characters in future xD

Also on the bug front, my first character got the +2 convo with Aloth in spite of only being at +1 with him. *shrug* And I think I might do another pt of POE1 after this as I'm starting to question my sanity. xD

• Like 1

nvAeseu.png

Mister Nosesigh

This is such a perfect nickname.

I'm sorry, I realise you people are struggling here, but I can't help laughing reading your tales woe. How did they even manage to screw up Aloth so badly in terms of bugs? Every other companion seems to be doing relatively fine.

• Like 2

Cannot remember if he is pro RDC, but Leaden Key Aloth, when asked about his family, makes excuses for his father and is angry at his mother when it's vice versa with anti-Key Aloth. So it makes sense if he's pro brutal but efficient might-makes-right ogranization.  

Edited by bugarup
  • Like 3

Cannot remember if he is pro RDC, but Leaden Key Aloth, when asked about his family, makes excuses for his father and is angry at his mother when it's vice versa with anti-Key Aloth. So it makes sense if he's pro brutal but efficient might-makes-right ogranization.

Yeah I noticed that too (the thing with the parents).

nvAeseu.png

setting that flag to 2 might tag the romance as active in some way, but there are no additional options when you talk to him, nor does he react at all when transitioning areas, camping, or anything else.

any other ideas?

You may need to exit completely and restart the game after changing the variable, not sure on that front.

There are four ways to check if it worked:

- click on his "talk" button and see what his dialogue response is (with the romance flag at two, he should walk up so close that his hand brushes yours, which I think is darling)

- click on him a million times and see if any of his romance-specific barks trigger ("Anything," and two which are basically "Not in public!" - also darling)

- go to one of the spots where he has romance-specific ambient barks (Luminous Bathhouse is the easiest, he should say he'd like to spend more time there with you)

- wait until endgame at Ukaizo and see if you get his romance-specific convo (with an option to kiss him)

Activating the romance won't add any additional options when you talk to him or any additional conversations, so you can't check that way. The stage of his main conversation and quest shouldn't affect anything either; the romance stuff is independent.

Edited by Tarlonniel
  • Like 3

I felt it was less making excuses for his father and more acknowledging the pressure he was under. He's more angry at his mother for completely ignoring the issue.