Does Aloth have an issue with men? In Deadfire, a whole ton of his eyerolling is directed at Tekehu & Serafen, and Eder, who is the one who's actually mean to him stays at 0 (for me). All three guys are big fat softies, and all his interactions with them involve him being negative as far as I can remember. The women, on the other hand, cause him to gush with approval. What does this mean? Does he feel more comfortable around women because of his abusive father? Is he obsessed with duty because of his neglectful mother?

What's your take on his comments on his father/mother depending upon whether he's pro/anti leaden key?

Also, is Aloth defined by being OCD/neurotic? He makes multiple coments about tidiness/cleanliness, and his reactions also fit into that category. As in, he'll approve only if what you say fits into a very narrow spectrum of what he considers positive, and even if he doesn't agree with the principle, he'll still approve of things that match his criteria (duty is good even if he's skeptical about what your duty is to). He's also really uptight and can't relax.

How does Iselmyr fit into all this? Is it kinder to supress her or to leave her as part of him (does he need her)?

Aloth's been a permanent fixture on my team since Deadfire came out and I'm now on my third character trying to get his approval by legit means, so I've been thinking about him quite a lot and would like to read some opinions.

Haha I've just come to the conclusion that he's buggy as hell. 

I tried another playthrough yesterday and lines that he'd been rolling his eyes at from everyone in the pary including me last time, he was smiling at this time around.

And to make matters worse, I'm not even through act one, and he's minimum +1 with EVERYONE BUT ME!!! He loves Eder, even after ripping him a new one about asking to bring Iselmyr back. He loves Xoti to little bitty pieces. 

He loves Serafen!!  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

But me? I'm playing the stodgiest most 'stick up the ass' character in the known universe, and despite the fact that he's smiling at me I'm still on "0"  ;(

Maybe he doesn't like blue? Maybe I smell bad? 

Maybe he doesn't like men with sparkly skin and glowey forheads? 

Oh gods do I remind him too much of the giant insane douche we're chasing? is that it???? 

Whyyyyy Aloth Whyyyyyy?!?!?! ;(  ;(  ;(

• Like 5

Same. While he doesn't really disapproves anything Watcher does, I'm still at 0. He really needs at least one more thing he likes.

In actual conversations he always smiles when Watcher jokes with him, even with Iselmyr:

Pillars_Of_Eternity_II_2018_06_03_10_43_

But his approval just don't matches his actual dialogues, I would've expected Aloth to like the person he always laughs with.

Edited by Normandy
  • Like 4

Haha I've just come to the conclusion that he's buggy as hell. 

I tried another playthrough yesterday and lines that he'd been rolling his eyes at from everyone in the pary including me last time, he was smiling at this time around.

And to make matters worse, I'm not even through act one, and he's minimum +1 with EVERYONE BUT ME!!! He loves Eder, even after ripping him a new one about asking to bring Iselmyr back. He loves Xoti to little bitty pieces. 

He loves Serafen!!  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

But me? I'm playing the stodgiest most 'stick up the ass' character in the known universe, and despite the fact that he's smiling at me I'm still on "0"  ;(

Maybe he doesn't like blue? Maybe I smell bad? 

Maybe he doesn't like men with sparkly skin and glowey forheads? 

Oh gods do I remind him too much of the giant insane douche we're chasing? is that it???? 

Whyyyyy Aloth Whyyyyyy?!?!?! ;(  ;(  ;(

You got him to like Serafen and Eder? WOW xD

Also this was my last character. Every time Aloth disapproved, I reloaded (except once), but approval stayed at 0 even after I did his damned personal quest. That was my canon Watcher too, whose personality I'd butchered to appeal to Aloth, but still not good enough. IDK if it's bugged honestly though as my new character did manage to get to +2 with him pretty quickly, but it involves picking the most boring / sensible responses all the time, which ruins the game for me as I don't like playing characters like that and if I do, they aren't the ones I'd ideally have romancing Aloth.

Same. While he doesn't really disapproves anything Watcher does, I'm still at 0. He really needs at least one more thing he likes.

In actual conversations he always smiles when Watcher jokes with him, even with Iselmyr:

Pillars_Of_Eternity_II_2018_06_03_10_43_

But his approval just don't matches his actual dialogues, I would've expected Aloth to like the person he always laughs with.

Sadly Aloth doesn't gain approval even if he finds your jokes funny, as humour isn't present in his positive approval spectrum. All he'll do is disapprove of jokes that the game decides to throw into his rather copious anti radar.

• Like 2

nvAeseu.png

i managed to get him to +1 with Post Maje stuff and conversation that comes right after it by basically being the most boring Goldpact Knight on Eora plus yes-manning the conversation. "Yes, Aloth, you're the best. No, Aloth, it's not your fault all those people died".

But what I am really curious about is what's the deal with Xoti. I'm running with the Faction Party -- Gina, Maia, Serafen, Tekehu -- everywhere, and in the fleetingly brief time Xoti was in the party she charmed Maia and Serafen to +1 and Teke to full +2. Is she like Geralt the Witcher oozing pheromones all the time? :shrugz:

• Like 5

i managed to get him to +1 with Post Maje stuff and conversation that comes right after it by basically being the most boring Goldpact Knight on Eora plus yes-manning the conversation. "Yes, Aloth, you're the best. No, Aloth, it's not your fault all those people died".

But what I am really curious about is what's the deal with Xoti. I'm running with the Faction Party -- Gina, Maia, Serafen, Tekehu -- everywhere, and in the fleetingly brief time Xoti was in the party she charmed Maia and Serafen to +1 and Teke to full +2. Is she like Geralt the Witcher oozing pheromones all the time? :shrugz:

Everyone loves Xoti. Even when Aloth rolleyes her, he then makes up for it by approving her "duty to my god" crap afterwards. Probably my fav thing about Pallegina is that she's immune to Xoti charm spells xD

• Like 3

nvAeseu.png

Btw, lol, Aloth's approval exploit in Dunnage's tavern has been fixed in the beta patch. Cry and despair - now nobody will be able to raise his rep to +2! Back to using a mod until he's fixed :devil: .

• Like 6

Btw, lol, Aloth's approval exploit in Dunnage's tavern has been fixed in the beta patch. Cry and despair - now nobody will be able to raise his rep to +2! Back to using a mod until he's fixed :devil: .

I managed to get him to +2 in the pre patch version in my current game relatively fast without cheating, but it involves playing a really boring character that always picks the most uninteresting/sensible option. I still don't know if they intended Aloth to be the type of person who only likes Watchers who act in an extremely specific parent he never had way, or if they just made a mess of him, but I hope it's the latter as then at least it may eventually get fixed.

• Like 1

nvAeseu.png

I managed to get him to +2 in the pre patch version in my current game relatively fast without cheating, but it involves playing a really boring character that always picks the most uninteresting/sensible option. I still don't know if they intended Aloth to be the type of person who only likes Watchers who act in an extremely specific parent he never had way, or if they just made a mess of him, but I hope it's the latter as then at least it may eventually get fixed.

I'm pretty sure him having too few positive dispositions is a bug/writer's oversight that will be fixed.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure him having too few positive dispositions is a bug/writer's oversight that will be fixed.

I hope you are right.

• Like 1

nvAeseu.png

Oh so they'll fix that but keep him bugged otherwise?

Nice one devs really a valuable thing to patch -_-

• Like 2

I actually made a mod to add some dispositions to him - and now that the beta patch fixes the conflicting ones - I can upload it if anyone's interested? The only real difference from the one previously mentioned in this thread is it adds 'Progressive' as a positive topic to anti-leaden key versions. I was also thinking about adding a variant of 'Pious' to a pro-leaden key Aloth as well.

• Like 5

I actually made a mod to add some dispositions to him - and now that the beta patch fixes the conflicting ones - I can upload it if anyone's interested? The only real difference from the one previously mentioned in this thread is it adds 'Progressive' as a positive topic to anti-leaden key versions. I was also thinking about adding a variant of 'Pious' to a pro-leaden key Aloth as well.

Sounds cool. A pity players have to fix his personality though really. xD

• Like 1

nvAeseu.png

I still don't know if they intended Aloth to be the type of person who only likes Watchers who act in an extremely specific parent he never had way, or if they just made a mess of him, but I hope it's the latter as then at least it may eventually get fixed.

You know what? You might be onto something and he actually is miserable, hard to please wet blanket, both in text and mechanically. In text always sour and dour party pooper, mechanically only has two peculiar things he likes and a vast array of easily triggered things he does not like. Compare Tekehu, who in text is the chillest dude ever, never gets angry, likes everything, big heart, easy to please. Mechanically - has 6 things he likes that are very easily accumulated and only 2 rather reasonable and not often triggered dislikes. 

• Like 2

I still don't know if they intended Aloth to be the type of person who only likes Watchers who act in an extremely specific parent he never had way, or if they just made a mess of him, but I hope it's the latter as then at least it may eventually get fixed.

You know what? You might be onto something and he actually is miserable, hard to please wet blanket, both in text and mechanically. In text always sour and dour party pooper, mechanically only has two peculiar things he likes and a vast array of easily triggered things he does not like. Compare Tekehu, who in text is the chillest dude ever, never gets angry, likes everything, big heart, easy to please. Mechanically - has 6 things he likes that are very easily accumulated and only 2 rather reasonable and not often triggered dislikes. 

It is indeed possible they intended him to be like that. The actual interactions with him (aside from his ambient comments) are decent though.

nvAeseu.png

Aloth REALLY doesn't want to like me.

Or maybe my Watcher is finally done with his attitude?

attachicon.gifpost-51558-0-43571900-1528072243.jpg

Ur 2 traditional bruh? Tradition sux, only duty iz gud. Also, let me guess, you had a laugh with Tekehu in the inn? xD

Edited by Slotharingia
  • Like 1

nvAeseu.png

Also, let me guess, you had a laugh with Tekehu in the inn? xD

Yes, finding Tekehu's debauchery amusing really pisses the elf off. Maybe he's just jealous.

He's already at -1 with both Serafen and Tekehu.

• Like 3

Aloth massages his temples, shaking his head.

Pretty sure conversation ending abruptly is a bug, had it with Aloth on one character and Pallegina on another. Still it's fun to think the Watcher is, like totally over Mr High Eyeroller. :biggrin:

Were you able to fix it somehow, or did you keep playing without finishing those convos?

• Like 1

Aloth massages his temples, shaking his head.

Were you able to fix it somehow, or did you keep playing without finishing those convos?

Kept playing. Aloth's -2 triggered normally, Pallegina did not like me to +2 yet. Also,

Yes, finding Tekehu's debauchery amusing really pisses the elf off. Maybe he's just jealous.

He's already at -1 with both Serafen and Tekehu.

Now take him upstairs, purchase services of every employee and there it is, your -2.  :biggrin:

Edited by bugarup
  • Like 1

Now take him upstairs, purchase services of every employee and there it is, your -2.  :biggrin:

Wait, he actually disapproves of you using the brothel? Aloth, how the hell is it any of your business? It's not like you are being forced to watch.

I wonder if he finds it a) irresponsible; b) traditional or c) prideful.

Edited by Yria
  • Like 1