Will this be the last of CRPGs WRTP now that Deadfire has flopped

Number 35 is clearly not an ideal situation to be in .

Learn some context. #35 out of thousands of games (over 15k as of January last year) is a pretty good point two-three weeks after release, as is the fact that it has yet to drop out of the top 100 games played on Steam.

We're talking about an isometric cRPG with RTWP combat, a niche game ever since its inception.

We're also discussing whether the game is a success not even a month after release.

To quote a certain captain, context is for kings. And getting your **** together before you start proclaiming something a failure is too.

Edited by Tagaziel
  • Like 9

No matter if failure or success: In an oustanding twist of narrative, at least nobody is going to say "turn based doesn't sell" anymore, so go real-time action (with or without pause) by publisher prressure and default. I enjoy all "renaissance" Infininty Engine style games Obsidian has made. But at times they also act as a reminder that in particular if you aim for a certain level of complexity and micro management (much more abilities than in any of the IE games not only for own characters but also foes), it's compromise. The entire concept back then minus the pause button was borrowed straight  from the RTS genre, btw. An actual former blockbuster genre that, in another outstanding twist of narrative, has a bit of a harder time these days. With bonafide  industry stalwarts such as Command&Conquer being put on indefinite hiatus -- and Warcraft not having seen a strategy game in borderline two decades. Meanwhile, X-Com is alive and kicking truly.

[For the record, it's a bit simplistic to narrow things down to a specific aspect, like RTWP. There's RTWP and then there's RTWP anyway. I had the first BG installed on my HD just a few months ago again. Quite a different game in how it plays overall.]

Edited by Sven_
  • Like 2

Jeepers can we stop with the "fanboy" nonsense. Just because someone has a different point of view to yours doesn't mean he is a fanboy.

But name calling in arguments is frankly childish.

Regarding the sales I have no data, my feeling is that sales haven't been great but I don't actually have any figures either way. It's all speculation at this point.

Regarding the game, I am slightly disappointed...

Multi classing is pretty darn good. The world map is great. The factions are great. The open world approach has hurt the main story. And for me, the story is really important in a game. So it's a mixed bag with some excellent parts and some not so good.

I also don't think bugs or good/bad games are often the reason for sales. Some terrible games have sold exceptionally well. DOS 2 is a dogs breakfast - (with huge potential it must be said, but a dogs breakfast none the less.) Deadfire is a much better game, but probably won't reach the same sales. Not sure why, though it could have something to do with Larian just being better at marketing.

A bit off-topic from me here sorry but, I found one solution and that was to gun straight for the story content straight from the start and not deviate from that path whatsoever. Not a single side-quest picked up until that point.

Don't know if spoiler but there is a pretty good bottle-neck which would allow you to still feel that "sense of urgency" yet being able to explore widely as you see fit for a little bit without losing that "sense of urgency". On my first character I ended up in the side-mission hell and was a tad bit exhausted. The typical Fallout 4 exhaustion "I must find my son!" is the main objective but after an hour or two "Oh snap! I totally forgot about the son aspect of this game!".

• Like 1

Learn some context. #35 out of thousands of games (over 15k as of January last year) is a pretty good point two-three weeks after release, as is the fact that it has yet to drop out of the top 100 games played on Steam.

We're talking about an isometric cRPG with RTWP combat, a niche game ever since its inception.

We're also discussing whether the game is a success not even a month after release.

To quote a certain captain, context is for kings. And getting your **** together before you start proclaiming something a failure is too.

learn some business sense

35 aint good mate

35 aint good mate

Still trying to pretend that you're not trolling? Really?

• Like 5

35 aint good mate

Still trying to pretend that you're not trolling? Really?

hey man like i said i like the game and i hope it hasnt flopped but it looks like it has.

You can troll me for trolling all you want

question to everybody: what was the first POE's state upon release?

I played the game on version 3 and loved it but I hear it was a much different game when it got out.

I do hate companies releasing unfinished games but that's usually the industry overall.

My only hope is that a year after release the game is much more fleshed out/balanced

POE1 at launch was playable but surely needed a ton of patches.   I waited until patch 1.3 to actually play from start to end but the game really was "without major issues" and starting to add things only after patch 1.4 or 1.5 don´t really remember. 

played last month again to play WM1 and 2 and yeah, game feels the same on 3.07 but its also very different. 

Edited by sterrius

question to everybody: what was the first POE's state upon release?

I played the game on version 3 and loved it but I hear it was a much different game when it got out.

I do hate companies releasing unfinished games but that's usually the industry overall.

My only hope is that a year after release the game is much more fleshed out/balanced

Deadfire is less buggy and better balanced right now than PoE 1, D:OS 1, or D:OS 2 were at release.