Who Should I Feed to the Blood Pool? Durance or Zahua? 256

So, I'm making a gamestate for a Neutral Evil character (With some scruples and a soft spot for family) and I'm not sure who I want to let the friendly pool of blood underneath Dyrford eat. My goal is to play something similar to the "Survival of the Fittest" default game state (Focus on empowering myself and my allies). I'm intending to run a Drug Monk/Fighter as my next character, as a frontline fighter sort of Watcher, so I've narrowed it down to these two based on the bonuses they give. I've also been able to justify these two as being the most "convenient" of my Watcher's allies of convenience. Characters like Eder, Pallegina, The Devil of Caroc, Aloth, and Sagani all have useful skills

Zahua - +1 Con/+15% Bonus to Beneficial Effects (It was just drugs in the first game, not sure if it is in this one). 

Pros: He's a bit of a washed up old man when you meet him, it's doubtful he's got long left to live anyway. It makes sense to sacrifice someone who's on their way out anyway, even if it is kind of cheating. 

Cons: He's Nalpazca, and it makes sense that he could teach my Watcher a thing or two about that in the five years since the story ended. My guy was a Fighter, so it makes sense he'd want to pick up some other combat disciplines just to have a wider toolbox of murder techniques and murder support skills. Plus he's got the good drugs, and generally seems to have less scruples about doing bad stuff. 

Durance - +1 Con/+5% Max Health

Pros: Look at the guy. To list Durance's numerous abhorrent personality qualities would probably dominate this post. He's sexist, racist, and doesn't really have a nice thing to say about anyone. Absolutely no one would miss him. 

Cons: ... I'm not really sure. His more reprehensible traits really wouldn't matter much to a Watcher who's less concerned with that sort of stuff, sure, but he just seems to offer so much less than Zahua while the Blood Pool offers so much more for him. Granted, going that route we'd have to assume we knew what we were getting out of everyone beforehand, which isn't the case I think. 

Depends on what you value more honestly. I mean more health is never a bad thing but getting more benefits to what's already there isn't awful either. I think it comes down to what you would consider more useful on a consistent basis. At least that's what I do when making these types of decisions in games.

I don't sacrifice party members though. Your Watcher is a real bastard.

Yes! We have no bananas.

Devil of Caroc is the best choice to feed to the pool by far, as (at least in created saves) she needs to die to get the best armor in the second game, and her blood pool bonus is great when it carries over.

Grieving Mother is also a decent choice.

Does feeding her to the bloodpool get the breastplate to show up? I thought you specifically needed the ending slide where she get's torn apart by villagers.

Devil of Caroc is the best choice to feed to the pool by far, as (at least in created saves) she needs to die to get the best armor in the second game, and her blood pool bonus is great when it carries over.

Does feeding her to the bloodpool get the breastplate to show up? I thought you specifically needed the ending slide where she get's torn apart by villagers.

I don't know how it's supposed to work but I can confirm that in *generated* histories made using the PoE II history creator, sacrificing the Devil to the Blood Pool also results in her breastplate appearing in the shop. A lot of things behave differently in actual imported saves though.

I don't know how it's supposed to work but I can confirm that in *generated* histories made using the PoE II history creator, sacrificing the Devil to the Blood Pool also results in her breastplate appearing in the shop. A lot of things behave differently in actual imported saves though.

How certain are we that that's working as intended and not going to get patched out, though? 

I went with Durance for Eld Engrin's dialog change. I haven't seen any mention of Zahua at all.

Atsura, the intelligent Psychopath of my dreams.  I like my elves grumpy and my godlike fishy!

And my Rekke romancable!

I went with Durance for Eld Engrin's dialog change. I haven't seen any mention of Zahua at all.

What does Engrim say? I know Maia flat out leaves your party if you sacrifice Kana and then tell her about it (Though why any sensible person would think doing that was a good idea is beyond me). 

What does Engrim say? I know Maia flat out leaves your party if you sacrifice Kana and then tell her about it (Though why any sensible person would think doing that was a good idea is beyond me). 

Cj7DiJF.jpg

Edited by Porcelyn

Atsura, the intelligent Psychopath of my dreams.  I like my elves grumpy and my godlike fishy!

And my Rekke romancable!

Probably going to go with Devil of Caroc then. It makes sense - as tragic as her story is, she's pretty much only valuable as an instrument of death and destruction. Plus she's dangerous and unpredictable, and could lead to a lot of awkward questions for a Watcher trying to keep a low profile. 

You guys are playing with fire. Do you know what happened the last time somebody tried to sacrifice Durance to the pool?

durancehouse.png

Eora was minus one more murderous religious bigot?
Durance is amazing!

Btw, been meaning to tell you: I live your baby elephant man (profile) pic!

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

You guys are playing with fire. Do you know what happened the last time somebody tried to sacrifice Durance to the pool?

durancehouse.png

Eora was minus one more murderous religious bigot?
Durance is amazing!

Btw, been meaning to tell you: I live your baby elephant man (profile) pic!

Oh, Durance is an amazing character. Well written, deep, interesting, etc. What I mean by my Durance criticism is that, looking at him as an in-game, in-setting person, *he's a **** person*.

And thank you. :)

• Like 2

she needs to die to get the best armor in the second game

Given the description of the armour that seems like a bug to me. After all, if you sacrifice her to the blood pool then she clearly didn't "eventually meet her fate at the hands of the villagers of Maiden Falls".

How is Zahua not useful? As to your dilemma, obviously Durance is the "worse" person and less useful to your character, though I'm not sure someone who kills people for a stat boost is in any position to judge :p

• Like 2

nvAeseu.png

How is Zahua not useful? As to your dilemma, obviously Durance is the "worse" person and less useful to your character, though I'm not sure someone who kills people for a stat boost is in any position to judge :p

Well, I have to 'save the world' you see. Very important. Need all the help I can get. 

she needs to die to get the best armor in the second game

Given the description of the armour that seems like a bug to me. After all, if you sacrifice her to the blood pool then she clearly didn't "eventually meet her fate at the hands of the villagers of Maiden Falls".

I dunno, maybe you throw her golem body at their feet and say "Here, have at it. I'm done with her"?  

Since that is, yes, probably a bug, I'll hold off on making my decision until we see the 1.1 patch notes to see if it's fixed. Still though, after thinking about it, I've revised my decision somewhat. 

Devil of Caroc - +1 Dex/+1 ... Penetration (I'm assuming Penetration, the game says "1 DR Bypass" but doesn't have the PoE2 buffs)

Durance - +1 Con/+5% Max Health

Durance for the reasons listed, Devil of Caroc because... honestly, it makes sense for a character who's all about looking out for number one to want to find a way to conveniently dispose of his pet murderer. It's either that or let her kill Harmke, any other option and all of the stuff she does could just come back to bite me later. 

Honestly, I do hope that it gets patched - not only because there's enough bugs with the save editor already but also because while I can support sacrificing a companion for stats (Stats=power, we'll just assume the Blood Pool was nice enough to provide a menu), sacrificing someone because of a material gain five years from now just seems really unnecessarily game-y to me. It should be a trade-off. 

And, yes, I am considering the ramifications of this from an in-character perspective because I think it's important to do so. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure what the Zahua bonus actually works for,  I know it doesn't work for any of the monk stuff like lightning strikes and enlightened agony.  My 2nd choice would be Devil of Caroc as long as you can still get her breastplate, but I've heard her +1 penetration doesn't work either, or has an unknown conditional? 

I guess just toss Durance in there...

All I can add is that if you imported PoE1 save in which you sacrificed devil to the pool, that breastplate wont be available, tested that myself. We`ll have to wait and see after the patch though

Oh, interesting.

Yeah, it's probably a bug then, but there are still a lot of import bugs with created histories (for example, you have to NOT assemble the endless paths blade in order to have the fragments in a created save, but the exact opposite is true in an imported save). 

If getting Devil Bonus + BP is fixed, then I'd posit Grieving Mother as the best candidate for the pool. While it depends a bit on your build, stat points are a bit fungible -- you can take Int a point lower than you would have otherwise, and trade something else up a bit higher -- and Grieving Mother is the least likely to have reactivity in future expansions or other content, given Avellone's departure, her general non-interactivity with the rest of the world, etc.

Sagani for example could easily show up in expansions or sequels, ditto Zahua, etc.

All I can add is that if you imported PoE1 save in which you sacrificed devil to the pool, that breastplate wont be available, tested that myself. We`ll have to wait and see after the patch though

I accept that I'm probably the minority, but I'd rather have the penetration than the breastplate, if it came down to it. 

And even if they wrote DOC into a future expansion, she's not someone who I'd want to see again. 

Magran's fire casts light in Dark Places...