Hey guys, 

So I've been trying to decide on what I want my "Main Playthrough" Watcher's culture to be. I'm torn between Deadfire for dialogue checks, and Aedyr for some good old fashioned Imperial superiority. I guess it depends on which culture comes up most frequently. I can definitely see Deadfire and Rautai coming up more than, say, White that Wends and Living Lands for example. 

I felt like my Island Aumaua, Deadfire mercenary got a good amount of reference, throughout the game.

Of course, per the chart, I was dead last in class pick (Fighter) so consider that if you want.

As a deadfire guy, you have to roleplay as if the customs are familiar and known to you, which might be counterintuitive to some players.

Edited by Parasol_Syndicate

Magran's fire casts light in Dark Places...

Deadfire, Island Aumaua and Raider/Aristocrat supposedly gives the most reactivity from what I've heard thus far.

As for my own experience, I've only done a moon godlike explorer from the white that wends thus far. I'm fairly certain it takes the choices from your PoE1 talk with Calisca into account since I got 2-3 references to him being a former mariner, and godlike in general gets a fair amount, though I didn't get much specific for moon godlike. There's probably going to be a decent amount of reactivity for most choices.

There's a good chart of check frequencies here: 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VOXnwhAVZ2bqGJgw-cgJlG0TIqt9j3zJJbRx1epH3ho/edit#gid=0

Deadfire aristocrat will have the most checks.

I love this chart! Seems an Island Amaua from the Deadfire who is an Aristocrat *really* get's the dialogue bonuses.

There's a good chart of check frequencies here: 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VOXnwhAVZ2bqGJgw-cgJlG0TIqt9j3zJJbRx1epH3ho/edit#gid=0

Deadfire aristocrat will have the most checks.

Lol that data is horrible.

I get you want it to be somewhat realistic for the setting, but seriously, by being an Island Amaua you can get double, or triple the checks, off that alone than say an Aedyr human meadowfolk fighter with explorer background has for all that combined.  Hell fighers don't even get a single class convo check UNLESS you are a blackjacket.... then you get 1.

So much for all character choices being balanced this time.  Meanwhile Perception is the new Resolve when it comes to conversations.  At least it was a little closer this time.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 1

Being Canadian I lean towards the White that Wends. I like Old Valia a lot. The original description in PoE1 and the intellect bonus appealed to me but now I feel out of place playing a meadow human Old Valian Aristocrat.

• Like 1

Atsura, the intelligent Psychopath of my dreams.  I like my elves grumpy and my godlike fishy!

And my Rekke romancable!

Favorite is always and forever - White that Wends. But the checks are boring. 

There should be some mystery or some fascination associated with Pale elves, but there is nothing more than "your blizzards are worse than our storms" and "hardy land hardy people" :/

• Like 5
Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

There should be some mystery or some fascination associated with Pale elves, but there is nothing more than "your blizzards are worse than our storms" and "hardy land hardy people" :/

Sounds familiar, though I preferred those over the hundreds of times someone must've called me 'Ngati's chosen', both in-conversation and in passing. After some time you actually start sympathizing with Pallegina's attitude towards being godlike.

My favorite bit of reactivity has to be the Chanter option with the mute Huana woman, which I think was on Tikawara: She's next a large drum used to send hunting/warning signals and help her communicate, which gives you an option to drum back in response; gradually leading into playing the drum together for a while after getting into a rhythm. It was quite heart-warming reading how the other villagers eventually join in on the music as well, especially considering the bleak state you find the village in.

• Like 3

Sounds familiar, though I preferred those over the hundreds of times someone must've called me 'Ngati's chosen', both in-conversation and in passing. After some time you actually start sympathizing with Pallegina's attitude towards being godlike.

My favorite bit of reactivity has to be the Chanter option with the mute Huana woman, which I think was on Tikawara: She's next a large drum used to send hunting/warning signals and help her communicate, which gives you an option to drum back in response; gradually leading into playing the drum together for a while after getting into a rhythm. It was quite heart-warming reading how the other villagers eventually join in on the music as well, especially considering the bleak state you find the village in.

I liked that too except one of the companions was rude about it and said something like 'Get a room".

Atsura, the intelligent Psychopath of my dreams.  I like my elves grumpy and my godlike fishy!

And my Rekke romancable!

I liked that too except one of the companions was rude about it and said something like 'Get a room".

Was it Maia? Sounds like her  :grin:

Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

So Deadfire so far seems to have a LOT of reactivity for me BUT on the flipside this is my first playthrough and a lot of the stuff my character would know as a Deadfire native...I don't which can make roleplaying a bit of an issue sometimes. Thankfully due to bugs this is NOT my canon playthrough for her so I'm sure it'll be better when I play again.(And have those sweet, sweet Berath Blessing points.) I've found some nice Ranger ones too. So while I do recommend playing as a Deadfire native for the experience...I recommend it happening AFTER a playthrough or two simply so you don't have to ask things like 'wait what's that thing which despite growing up in the area I have NO IDEA what it is or even potentially could be?' unless it works best for your character type.

Was it Maia? Sounds like her  :grin:

Possibly. I was on my RDC play through. I like submarines so regicide was a-ok with me. Tekehu's tears nourished my songs.

And my Rekke romancable!

I think choosing the most meta culture and background just for some minor reactivity checks is stupid. Personally, I chose my main's culture and background that fitted the portrait and backstory that I headcanoned for it back in POE1. I'm not gonna change it just because in the sequel another has more checks. Besides, I don't like playing a native in games - usually it ends in some awkward exposition conversations because my character is supposed to know all the native things while me as a player doesn't. Better to play a clueless foreigner, I say, works more natural that way.

• Like 5

My favorite bit of reactivity has to be the Chanter option with the mute Huana woman, which I think was on Tikawara: She's next a large drum used to send hunting/warning signals and help her communicate, which gives you an option to drum back in response; gradually leading into playing the drum together for a while after getting into a rhythm

It's not really a Chanter option, I got it on my cipher/wizard too. Looks like there are a lot of checks that can be passed either with some skill OR with a background/class as a shortcut.

My first character was a scientist from the Living Lands, and while the background checks were nothing to get really excited about, her being a scientist did get referenced from time to time and fit well with the VTC theme.

Now, the Linving Lands... all I got from my culture checks was that it's an awful place with terribly dangerous people (you can even compare them to the Wahaki at some point with the Watcher saying that the tribe sounds very much like his/her own countrymen) who eat baby lagufaeth and other similar creatures for snacks.

I finished with Moon Godlike Mystic from White that Wends, Mystic got used quite often, White not really, and speaking of Moon Godlikeness, waaaayyy to display blatant favoritism, Ondra. "Tekehu this, Tekehu that"...what about me, mum?!  :getlost:

• Like 5

speaking of Moon Godlikeness, waaaayyy to display blatant favoritism, Ondra. "Tekehu this, Tekehu that"...what about me, mum?!  :getlost:

It's not that much better with other godlike types. Tekehu gets this super caring fish mommy, while I'm stuck with Berath who openly tells me "Go do this and that or I'll kill you". Or Magran who insults me the first time I try to speak to her and drops a volcano on my head. Or Galawain (I assume) who tries to feed me to a kraken because I don't agree with him betraying his own principles

Thanks a lot, moms and dad.

Thats because you are not a fish.

I still have trouble wrapping my head around the fact that two different godlikes can correspond to one god.

It's not that much better with other godlike types. Tekehu gets this super caring fish mommy, while I'm stuck with Berath who openly tells me "Go do this and that or I'll kill you". Or Magran who insults me the first time I try to speak to her and drops a volcano on my head. Or Galawain (I assume) who tries to feed me to a kraken because I don't agree with him betraying his own principles

Thanks a lot, moms and dad.

They are just stricter parents. They want to kick you out of the house early so you'd emerge stronger from the experience.

Edited by Aridea
  • Like 3

Used a human Explorer from White that Wends, got maybe 3 instances of Explorer reaction, maybe 1 check for it. White that Wends was only in the Rekke dialog (trying some language from there, apparently) and a "my people showed me on the map the place you are from" from, I think, Queen Onekaza.

Used a human Explorer from White that Wends, got maybe 3 instances of Explorer reaction, maybe 1 check for it. White that Wends was only in the Rekke dialog (trying some language from there, apparently) and a "my people showed me on the map the place you are from" from, I think, Queen Onekaza.

The Huana Storm Speaker in Port Maje and Vektor in Tikawara also recognize White that Wends.

I'm fairly certain it takes the choices from your PoE1 talk with Calisca into account since I got 2-3 references to him being a former mariner

Damn... that's a pretty big piece of reactivity to lose because you didn't import a save. Hopefully there is a save state editor in the future. :(

Aloth massages his temples, shaking his head.