Single Class Chanters, yay or nah?

Single class Chanter  

39 members have voted

1. 1. What you think about single class Chanter?

• The whole class is bad.
    • They are just better in Multiclass
    • Single is equal to multi class
    • Single class is better
    • Hard to tell
  2. 2. Do they deserve buff or nerf?

• Time for buff
    • Just some tunning
    • Everything is ok
    • NERF!
  3. 3. If buff then what?

• No need for buff
    • Their invocations are weak
    • Their chants are weak
    • Need more passives
    • Need more things but at level 8th and 9th
    • Need more chants
    • Need more invocations
    • They do not deal enought damage
    • They do not buff or heal allies enought
    • They do not crowd control or debuff enemies
    • Something else (write in post)

So what do you think about single class chanter?

Every party likes chanter, since he makes everyone else better.

Having Set their Purpose invocation asap could also ease most of content. Summoning dragons early or at all is always good.

Invocation of VIII and IX are decent, but chants... there is less of them.

However, there is a thing with Chanter, that you could know all chants and invocation, but you could have only  2 chants up, and cast 1 invocation every 9-15 sec.

Which is great if you pair it with support or tank.

But... is it enought?

Does single chanter sing merry songs?

Edited by evilcat

I mean they have a level nine chant that summons a dragon so that's pretty kickass. But kickass doesn't paint the whole picture. A single class is always going to have access to higher level abilities that a multi class character won't and as such you'll have to adjust accordingly. I hate to tread on the "It's How You Use It" ground but that's really where I stand on the matter. If you want to utilize more than one type of ability then multi classing shouldn't be an issue and the opposite is true for single class.

But with the nerf hammer coming soon I think it might be wise to prepare ourselves for readjustment. One patch can invalidate a swath of strategies. And depending on how big a hammer Josh decides to use we all might be careful about a long term commitment. Just my two cents!

• Like 1

Yes! We have no bananas.

Big fat dragon is argument hard to miss.

And having best talents before end game is more important than many would think.

Having variety of chants/invocations for all kind of situacion is also good, and it leaves less space for another class.

There is Teheku issue, that he has double unique subclasses, so he could make chanter/druid work better than normally.

Just was wondering what others think.

Edited by evilcat

It's a great class, single or multi. Minor tweaks would be good. Maybe a slight nerf with the brilliance inspiration. Other than that doesn't need many changes.

It's in a good spot at the mo.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

For me chanter as single class has problem with being quite passive in battles (compared to other classes)
You have no abilities besides chants (passives) and invocation (which you don't really cast that often)
I know there's a subclass can get phrases by critting, which in some cases makes the class more active.

But in general you don't do that much beside autoattacking.
It's even more glaring now in deadfire, where classes in general spam abilites and jump around. Chanter can't do it on it's own.

It doesn't apeal to me to play such class.

Using him for multiclassing is different story, you take just few things you want and you can really customize your character using some of his options. Being it charms, buffs, summons, cc.

• Like 2

Single-class chanters are functional, but there's very little reason to play one, for several reasons:

• A chanter gets to use basic attacks and wait for its invocations to come online. A chanter/whatever, on the other hand, gets to use its other class while waiting for its invocations to come online.
  • Even if you're actually specializing in Chanter Stuff (i.e. you're playing a skald) and looking to pop off invocations as quickly as possible, you generally want another class to help you do the crit-fisher thing.
  • They still have the problem from PoE1 with their lower-level options being at least as good as their higher-level options, if not better. It doesn't really matter that you lose a few PL, because chanters get all of their best stuff early.
  • Because chanters have so many good passives and so few active abilities, they make a decent addition to virtually every class (Troubadour in particular is an amazing addition to everything in the universe). This isn't a problem with the class itself, per se, but it kind of plays into the whole, "chanters are for multiclassing" thing.
  • Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Single-class chanters are functional, but there's very little reason to play one, for several reasons:

• A chanter gets to use basic attacks and wait for its invocations to come online. A chanter/whatever, on the other hand, gets to use its other class while waiting for its invocations to come online.
  • Even if you're actually specializing in Chanter Stuff (i.e. you're playing a skald) and looking to pop off invocations as quickly as possible, you generally want another class to help you do the crit-fisher thing.
  • They still have the problem from PoE1 with their lower-level options being at least as good as their higher-level options, if not better. It doesn't really matter that you lose a few PL, because chanters get all of their best stuff early.
  • Because chanters have so many good passives and so few active abilities, they make a decent addition to virtually every class (Troubadour in particular is an amazing addition to everything in the universe). This isn't a problem with the class itself, per se, but it kind of plays into the whole, "chanters are for multiclassing" thing.

But, but, but: DRAGON!!

(I basically agree with you, but that dragon is a great argument the other way, just for the coolness factor.)

Some chants should be buffed, cuz most of them are not good. But with PL VII you allready get the Animated Weapons Summon, what are stronger than the Level IX Dragon and the Invocation with the Brilliance Aura. So a Multiclass with Paladin or better Fighter is maybe stronger than a pure Chanter.

Judging tier VIII and IX, some of invocation might be interesting. Like penetracion or Dragon, or improved Eld.

But chants are problem. Since top level chants are either situacional or not that unique.

No mach for what wizard can bring if single class, and no better version of what they already have at lower levels.

Generally was expecting some upgrade of chants.

Maybe more chants should be upgradeble.

Edited by evilcat

Chanter are extremely potent because unlike most other multiclasses they get to multitask. They sacrifice very little in terms of action economy. Unlike a wizard/cypher as a random example who has to decide if he's going to attack for focus, or cast, and if casting what he's going to cast from what pool. If he's casting ringleader he can't be casting minoletta's concussive missiles, etc. Chanters? They just keep singing and spend resource maybe if they need to. And that's quick unless it's a summon, generally.

• Like 1

Chanter are extremely potent because unlike most other multiclasses they get to multitask. They sacrifice very little in terms of action economy. Unlike a wizard/cypher as a random example who has to decide if he's going to attack for focus, or cast, and if casting what he's going to cast from what pool. If he's casting ringleader he can't be casting minoletta's concussive missiles, etc. Chanters? They just keep singing and spend resource maybe if they need to. And that's quick unless it's a summon, generally.

Yes but single class chanter can basically only autoattack between invocation casts. That's not really much fun, is it?

I'm not saying it isn't effective class, it's just not really fun to play. (unless you hate micro)

also big issue - how many casts can you get off in a combat encounters, I used chanter (multiclassed) it got off 2 cast in whole fight usually. 3 in long fights. more only in big boss fights (and that only in some)

Single class chanter might be fun solo where combat takes long (it was really strong for solo in POE), but in deadfire combat is faster than in POE if played in group, he won't do much compared to other more active classes.

I think he's best for multiclassing together with figher. He can buff up any class and add some strong invocations and helful chants. As a single class he's effective but boring to play.

I tried out Chanter as a single class and felt it was really lack lustre compared to poe1. I re-rolled into a Herald and had a great time as a pure buffer/healer.

Atsura, the intelligent Psychopath of my dreams.  I like my elves grumpy and my godlike fishy!

And my Rekke romancable!

Yes but single class chanter can basically only autoattack between invocation casts. That's not really much fun, is it?

I'm not saying it isn't effective class, it's just not really fun to play. (unless you hate micro)

also big issue - how many casts can you get off in a combat encounters, I used chanter (multiclassed) it got off 2 cast in whole fight usually. 3 in long fights. more only in big boss fights (and that only in some)

Single class chanter might be fun solo where combat takes long (it was really strong for solo in POE), but in deadfire combat is faster than in POE if played in group, he won't do much compared to other more active classes.

I think he's best for multiclassing together with figher. He can buff up any class and add some strong invocations and helful chants. As a single class he's effective but boring to play.

Arcane Skill is a thing, and Chanters can't do anything else while waiting for Chants to build. As you said They can auto-attack, and imho casting scrolls > auto attack. They are probably the best single class to use Scrolls with, and possibly grenades too even though they dont get natural bonuses to Explosives at CC. You can dump scrolls or grenades while you wait. Add in gear with casting abilities, and you have things to do, and using these things doesnt clash with any ability usage. Auto attack vs sunbeam or Maelstrom? No contest.

I think they need to be tuned down slightly. Single class = to multiclass though imho. Although, the way i play them I tend to MC.

Inspiration buff needs looking at, +100% heal is too easy to abuse in some MC combos for immortality, etc. They are potent to be sure.

Almost every phrase is good, almost all invocations are good, and I cant ask for much else.

Her Courage was probably overnerfed from beta imho. I'd say 15 PT damage shield would be a sweet spot. Dragon Thrashed could probably get a little boost to dmg. 6 per tick at minimum.

I cant think of an invocation that is bad except Brilliant makes His Heart did Fill obsolete. Otherwise every Invocation has a place.

Arcane Skill is a thing, and Chanters can't do anything else while waiting for Chants to build. As you said They can auto-attack, and imho casting scrolls > auto attack. They are probably the best single class to use Scrolls with, and possibly grenades too even though they dont get natural bonuses to Explosives at CC. You can dump scrolls or grenades while you wait. Add in gear with casting abilities, and you have things to do, and using these things doesnt clash with any ability usage. Auto attack vs sunbeam or Maelstrom? No contest.

I think they need to be tuned down slightly. Single class = to multiclass though imho. Although, the way i play them I tend to MC.

Inspiration buff needs looking at, +100% heal is too easy to abuse in some MC combos for immortality, etc. They are potent to be sure.

Almost every phrase is good, almost all invocations are good, and I cant ask for much else.

Her Courage was probably overnerfed from beta imho. I'd say 15 PT damage shield would be a sweet spot. Dragon Thrashed could probably get a little boost to dmg. 6 per tick at minimum.

I cant think of an invocation that is bad except Brilliant makes His Heart did Fill obsolete. Otherwise every Invocation has a place.

Yea that is true. But I'm one of those ppl who tend to never use potions, scrolls and other one off stuff in games like these, unless it's a really my last option. (I guess I just hoard all the stuff and never use it, I feel rich then or something, not sure tbh :D )

And we are back to the biggest issue of the game, it's too easy why even use those expensive things ever.

So yea for my gameplaye style (no consumables) single class chanter is boring. Just compare it to swashbuckler that thing can use 10 abilites before chanter uses 2 and it's all over the place jumping around. What a fun character to play. Combat can be so mobile now and you wanna sit in a corner and sing?

• Like 1

I'm luke warm on consumables on many characters myself, but a single class Chanter almost makes you use them to fill out the slow aspect of the class. It works great, imho. To each their own though.

I am talking about those cast 1 per rest/encounter pieces of gear though. They arent really overpowered compared to most of the other stuff you could have. Not talking about anything that procs on crit or the like.

• Like 1