Hi all,

i'm a "veteran" of 1st Poe so i know his combat system but here, in Deadfire, i think something is wrong.

Why all damn mobs, bosses, enemies have to attack Watcher until is dead? 

I have a druid-chanter summoner so my char is projected to stay back. No, is impossible. Every pirate crew, every mob band have to avoid my "tank" and charge me.

This isn't my first char here but i'm really bored. On first Poe enemies don't avoid first line warriors to attack pc, here seems that Eder (and a second tank i've created) simply doesn't exist.

With this char i'm lv 5, with 8 cons and a leather armour, well i die fastest than light... This is really absurd. 

I don't know what i have to do. I don't want roll a melee char because combat system is "strange".

In every case there is possibility is a fault of mine SO: what i should do?

Really? I find the mobs just attack whoever initiates the combat. Go in with your tank first and leave your Watcher in stealth. Then once everyone is happily engaged, your watcher does his thing.

Remember: Strike hard, strike first, no mercy.

Well, when i can move on normal maps i have no problems. Tanks first, other ranged and hided etc. etc.  but in "scripted" areas is terryfing. A Ship boarding? Ah! All ranged pirates have to kill me before attack every others, same for event ares, like undead in swamp, or dragon in pass.

I have to avoid or destroy all ships because i can't win in map fights because i die istantly...

Funny...

unlike in PoE, enemies stick to my Engagement-Edér like flies to Cpt. Poopyshoe in Deadfire now. I didn't max his defenses but went for good offense (for a weapon & shield setup) and just increased engagement slots with stance, shield & Hold the Line.

Several Unbroken builds I tested were even stickier.

Maybe you tanks' damage per hit is just too whimpy so it's no threat to disengage? I don't even know if enemies' AI does take thin into account though.

Edit: when gunners are involved and you don't come out of stealth I have the same problem - but only if my watcher is a squishy. If you present a considerably weaker squishy and/or if you are a big threat (caster) then ranged enemies will try to kill you asap.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Funny...

unlike in PoE, enemies stick to my Engagement-Edér like flies to Cpt. Poopyshoe in Deadfire now. I didn't max his defenses but went for good offense (for a weapon & shield setup) and just increased engagement slots with stance, shield & Hold the Line.

Several Unbroken builds I tested were even stickier.

Maybe you tanks' damage per hit is just too whimpy so it's no threat to disengage? I don't even know if enemies' AI does take thin into account though.

Edit: when gunners are involved and you don't come out of stealth I have the same problem - but only if my watcher is a squishy. If you present a considerably weaker squishy and/or if you are a big threat (caster) then ranged enemies will try to kill you asap.

Ehehe... i have over 300 hours in Poe so i've builded Eder like a tank with a damage. Hammer for dual damage type, 1h and shield style for deflection, defender for enemy engage etc. etc. tank style doesn't change between poe 1 and poe 2...

Simply enemies, in certain areas like ship boarding or scripted ones, ignore my melee guys and charge me. Not Aloth, not Xotli, just me... when i'm orizzontal they attack Eder... 

Edited by Sciarra Colonna

No it is impossible... At start game there is a isle where are a dragon with a 4-5 xaurips... Well i can't kill them... is impossible. I have Eder, Aloth, Xotli a  second tank pally created and me. Simply champ xaurip, dragon and another xaurip charge on me, taking disengagin attack from my warriors but ignore them... ONLY after they have killed me return to attack my melee chars...

This is simply pathetic, every strategy is useless at this point... Is possible? My wrong? Game bugged?

Strange. I know scripted events can be a pain in the a**, but otherwise i never have the problem that enemies go straight for my watcher.

Usually i don't even have to stealth and send the tank first.

Tank is set to agressive with custom ai behavior. All other i control myself.

Only thing is that i play on veteran and not potd.

Potd i will play when fixed, right now it's a joke.

I don't have this issue on my Ranger/Chanter watcher. Yes, sometimes ranged enemies will focus him on combat start if stealth is not an option. But you can work around that. There are items that activate extra defenses when you are near death, some of which are available very early like Protective Eothasian Charm amulet (available in Port Maje), which restores health and reduces damage taken by 75% when near death.

On top of that you have food like rice which gives -10% damage taken at all times and is easily available. As a druid, you can have 10 armor with 0 recovery at the beginning of every battle (although your equipped items won't work if you do). Plus you have consumables like Spirit Shield which gives +3 armor and is cheap. Have your Paladin cast Lay On Hands and your Priest throw a heal and there's no way you should be dying that easily, in fact the issue is opposite, the game is too easy. And I'm playing on PotD with enhanced difficulty mod (2nd playthrough).

TL;DR the game gives you plenty of tools to survive focus fire, use them.

Well if you have that issue simply build your tanks more offensively with high engagement. Melee attackers would probably not try to rush to you anymore, but if they do they will take heavy damage to get there. You could also surround yourself with summons to body block, or equip mobility items (like the leap boots which you can get early) to force melee attackers to walk through engagement twice or more. By then they should be dead, and if played right they shouldn't even touch you.

Ranged attackers is a different issue but it seems to be the exception rather than the rule, unless you're doing nothing but naval combat. But even then you can manipulate the battle field with CC and summons, disable the ranged attackers, out-range them etc. If anything this AI quirk forces you to play different encounters differently, or god forbid wear some armor, which in my book is a good thing.

No it is impossible... At start game there is a isle where are a dragon with a 4-5 xaurips... Well i can't kill them... is impossible. I have Eder, Aloth, Xotli a  second tank pally created and me. Simply champ xaurip, dragon and another xaurip charge on me, taking disengagin attack from my warriors but ignore them... ONLY after they have killed me return to attack my melee chars...

This is simply pathetic, every strategy is useless at this point... Is possible? My wrong? Game bugged?

You might still be a little low level for that fight. It's very difficult if you try it immediately out of Port Maje. Head to Neketaka first, do a few local quests there, come back. 

• Like 1

My watcher is a pure class cipher that uses Frostseeker. My party order has them in the 4th slot and they also stand in the back line on the map. I do not use stealth to start fights as the ranged characters attack before melee characters which means they get all the attention. This might be your problem.

Even in scripted events like the dragon with the xaurips the aggro is spread pretty evenly around my party. Then again my watcher always charms as my first action so I tend to turn the tide of battle quickly so I may not be a good example.

Are you starting the scripted events and just letting your party do whatever they want, or are you pausing the game and giving out specific commands to each member?