Did you ever feel like there was too little combat in Deadfire?

Amount of combat in Deadfire  

181 members have voted

1. 1. Was there enough combat in Deadfire?

• Not enough! I ha' nae even wet mi' blade!
    • Just right :)
    • Too much violence! Think of the baby lagufaeth!

Number of encounters was just right for me, I thought that was a great improvement on Pillars 1.

Now, the encounters themselves could've sometimes be a bit more interesting and certainly harder. But the overall quantity of them was near perfect for me.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I want big, extremely difficult fights that force me to adopt new tactics and learn the game better.

I could do without using the exact same routine of "drop three buffs, pummel everything into a fine paste" every 25 seconds.

So ... less PoE1, more White March.

Edited by gkathellar
  • Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

I don't know that it's not enough combat overall, but that you can get stuck for hours running back and forth doing fetch quests (or conversation quests, which are basically the same thing). And you can't skip them (or at least not all of them), because doing a fetch quest will typically give you significantly more xp than actual combat. It just seems odd that running messages back and forth will improve your combat skills more than fighting will.

I'm enjoying the game overall, but I hope they add some in-depth dungeon fighting in the DLC.

People complained about fluff combat in PoE 1.

Much easier to just make less combat, or a basic infinite repetitive loop via naval combat, than to actually spend the time and resources on instead making the combat more unique and/or impactful.

Developing 101.

Edited by whiskiz

I think there's enough combat on the whole, but what might make it feel like there's not enough is that you can spend days of gameplay in Neketaka, walking around mostly just talking and avoiding using your crap ship, while spending any cash you do get hold of in the shops. That also means your party can experience a massive level increase from one fight to the next, which is a bit odd.

Yeah, if you sail straight for Neketaka from Port Maje, you can go from level 5 to 7 just doing the normal meet-and-greets with the factions, companion recruitment, and the simpler noncombat tasks. 

That said, early cash is spent on skill trainers, not gear.  Buy nothing in a shop until you're sure you won't find its equivalent as your next fetch-quest reward!

(This did leave me hilarously under-geared, though.  Level 7 characters, half of whom were still equipped with unenchanted weapons/armor.) 

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 1

I voted not enough.

I think the main problem ties in with another topic about the lack of true dungeons in the game. Probably the best part of the original was when you first arrive in Defiance Bay, and the choice of quests to pursue is varied -- many talk heavy quests in the city, bounties, clearing out wilderness, and a few decent dungeon crawls, including the option to chip away at Endless Paths. All those things exist in Deadfire once you leave the first island, except the lengthy dungeons. As others have noted, there isn't much on offer that even matches the experience of the catacombs in Copperlane.

Let's be honest here...

The less combat the better. One thing Obsidian could learn from other indie game devs is that rpg's don't even need combat to add a sense if victory and the problem with most rpg's is that combat is unnecessary and tacky.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Let's be honest here...

The less combat the better. One thing Obsidian could learn from other indie game devs is that rpg's don't even need combat to add a sense if victory and the problem with most rpg's is that combat is unnecessary and tacky.

I not bashing your opinion but I think personally and this just my thoughts so I not saying yours wrong.

For me I think needs couple longer dungeons, ones in deadfire way to small. I think other then few longer dungeons its enough combat.

Longer dungeons need be designed well, with good quest and with right numbers of fights and must feel fights belong.

There is place for games without combat but not POE franchise we started with combat and should have combat, I think to complete remove combat would be mistake as would complete change feel of game and wouldn't feel like POE.

That said what combat we have need to be worked in way then increases difficulty at right point, as early combat can be lot harder. Really could do with breaking city up as you level lot in city and throws the difficulty out. I personally would put one long dungeon in city as way break it up and help make combat difficulty more gradual curve.

Combat couple levels after city really starts shoot off fast and is so OP combat really cake walk. Need balance character development and difficulty a lot after that point.

I think max level should be reached before the end so have time enjoy been level 20 but not so far away that your just cake walking lots of the game.

Money really should be split in 2, think we should have money for character upgrade buy things for team and second pot money for developing ship and crew. Think that help balance things and will open up some doors to help improve ship combat as if do that you can as example have the ability capture ship and sell or use etc. Money for both has be balanced better shouldn't get rich to fast as helps make you op way to fast. Obsidian need make sure all they do gives variety and gives options. Having make tough choices is great thing, balance.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Not enough. The past two days I've played, all I've done is walk around from NPC to NPC in Neketaka.

Having too much combat gets old, but still I think having too much combat is better than not enough. That's the worst. This game has a fun combat system, and it's been underutilized as far as I've played. I finally reached Old Town, and it's a blast. 

Edited by Multihog

I think the Main Story Line is just too short.(so fights are few)

That's the problem BG2 >> POE2.

Although I like POE2's vocal performance, but even NWN2 could full fill the Role Play Atmosphere when POE2 could not (since our main character always has to do some side-quest which does nothing with chasing a god).

Edited by Julymio

There's a lot of fighting but encounters are often not great and they are very disjointed so you never feel like you are going through a series of difficult fights challenging your party to push through more difficult and more difficult things as you change your tactics and equipment to suit challenges better. Gullet underground areas for example are a good example of this done right.

Edited by Shadenuat

Not necessarily more combat, I would like more interesting combat in the form of:

1) wave battle encounters: where you fight multiple waves of lesser powered creatures.

2) party-on-party encounters: a really competent group to challenge your party build and make a solo character avoid the battle at all costs. Instead of the typical “boss battle” it would be fun to have us run into the “other Watcher” and his/her 4-person squad of synergistic doom.

3) more unique creatures: I feel like I’ve seen all the mob-models about 10 hours into the game

4) more battlefield encounters: similar to battle for Cas Nua

Edited by heldred
  • Like 1

I think the ratio of combat situations to non-combat & exploration is just about perfect.  I'm still early in the game and exploring Neketaka & the various factions, and I find it challenging to manuver the conversations & quests to try getting people to play nice together.  I know it probably won't happen, but it's fun trying.  I also really love the fact that in a potential combat situation, you can (often based on your class or skill set), talk your way out of a violent conflict.  Very few developers these days take the time to program those solutions, and I appreciate the time Obsidian has taken to due  that.   If I wanted constant combat, I'd play a game like Diablo 2/3, Titan Throne, or Grim Dawn.  And there's times I like that type of combat oriented game, but I love a game like POE2 much more because of the complexity of what you can do with your choices.

If there was one thing I would like to see, it would be to have an option to scale back the experience point gain so I didn't level up quite so fast, but spread it out over more of the game.

For those who think there is too much combat, check the thread below about avoiding combat. Somebody reached level 19 barely doing any fighting.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/103025-guide-grow-strong-before-fighting-anything/

Same thing happened to me despite instigating every fight I could without going full on murder hobo. (I think there's way too little combat, its too widely scattered, and the scenarios themselves aren't very interesting, even on PotD.)

I really liked the game but to me the problem with Deadfire's combat is that they did two things to combat. First, they removed a lot of useless fights that had only one reason, that was to make you use your camping supplies in the original. Second, they made combat way faster in the sequel, easy fights in PoE would take 15-30 seconds and this is the time I take on hard fights in the sequel. To me that's why it feels there is not a lot of combat in the game, is the combination of faster combat and less trash mobs to obligate you to use camping supplies.

To me they need to just add a few more encounters and the amount of combat encounters will be good because I like the new pacing of combat in Deadfire and I like that most of the combat in game can be avoided by either talking, sneaking or using some other clever tactics and that is also another reason that makes we feel like there is not a lot of combat.

For those who think there is too much combat, check the thread below about avoiding combat. Somebody reached level 19 barely doing any fighting.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/103025-guide-grow-strong-before-fighting-anything/

I guess that was by design?

AFAIK that was brought over from PoE where exp is mostly given by quest completion and not by kills so as not to hamstring gamers who prefer the diplomatic way of progress. Exp is only given to filling enemy classes in beastiary and even those were capped, and not very significant. Even so killing enemies still has the benefit of loot (in quantity and quality) though.

Personally, I feel there is enough filler combat. What the game needs are more signature and well crafted boss encounters, which I guess will come in dlcs.

Edited by mosspit