Did you ever feel like there was too little combat in Deadfire?

Amount of combat in Deadfire  

181 members have voted

1. 1. Was there enough combat in Deadfire?

• Not enough! I ha' nae even wet mi' blade!
    • Just right :)
    • Too much violence! Think of the baby lagufaeth!

So, having less trash mobs than in PoE1 was a thing, right? And certainly, there are a lot less "random" monsters. The mega dungeon of PoE1 was also basically replaced by island exploration, which usually only involved about 1 fight per island. 

I dunno, I think its a step in the right direction if you're playing Deadfire for the story/roleplaying, but maybe feels a bit lonely if you're in it for the battles and tactics. What do you guys say?

Edited by Heijoushin

There's not enough combat!

Is a thing I have never said about any game, ever.

I dunno, man. I occasionally leveled up, wanted to test out a new ability, but realized I would have to go hunt down a bounty or something because there weren't any trash mobs. 

• Like 1

I dunno, man. I occasionally leveled up, wanted to test out a new ability, but realized I would have to go hunt down a bounty or something because there weren't any trash mobs.

seeing as the deadfire was full of pirates and mercenaries, i actually expected a lot more combat, both ship-to-ship, and ground combat. but, that's just me.

• Like 2

Yesterday, upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish he'd go away... -Hughes Mearns

There is a DLC coming that is centered on an arena. Hopefully that satiates your bloodlust.

Speaking for myself I'm rather undecided. In the first game I got really tired of dealing with hordes of enemies that frankly got burdensome. Yes it's great to have conflict in an area but when you fight horde after horde of something like spirits or beetles it just gets tiresome. Raedric's Hold made sense because it was you know, a castle but again, endless trash mob got annoying after a while. And because of this criticism Obsidian decided to reduce the amount of mobs you fought. I think I'll be more willing to commit to a position once difficulty tweaks and balances have been implemented.

I would vastly prefer some fights that were good and challenging rather than endless waves of say Toepuncher and his bandits that offer no real challenge but must be undertaken anyway.

• Like 5

Yes! We have no bananas.

I dunno, I think its a step in the right direction if you're playing Deadfire for the story/roleplaying, but maybe feels a bit lonely if you're in it for the battles and tactics. What do you guys say?

Yes, indeed a very tough question if a roleplaying-game should focus on roleplaying or on tactics. /s

I went nearly twenty straight hours in my first playthrough with only a handful of fights. I feel like there isn't enough. Deadfire very nearly falls into the same pitfall that Torment Tides of Numenera did in making combat feel out of place in that it happens at all.

I feel there is exactly the right amount of combat in Deadfire. Every once in a while I'd feel like I've spent enough time doing story missions, and I'd go off and do a combat. There was never a period where I couldn't get into combat if I wanted to, or do a bunch of non-combat story stuff if I wanted to, and that's exactly how I like it.

• Like 2

Play a grindy Korean MMO and you'll find out how quickly your patience for repetitive combat runs out.

My problem with the combat in Deadfire was that there was a lot of it, but most of it was just trash. There wasn't enough interesting boss fights.

There is much more instances when you could avoid combat, by using skills to peace with thugs.

But you could also choose violence, and take their staff. Which is profitable income source early game.

This was requested to have "talk my way out of combat"

There may be the issue of Neketaka beig long chain of talks, you could really sink into it, if you not force yourself into old city or island exploration.

Maybe there could bigger catacombs or sewer system to have better balance of combat/dungeoning/talk quests.

OldCity/Catacombs seems to have higher level than 6.

Edited by evilcat

I wish there was an arena where you could test builds or just smash things after a long day.

• Like 1

Atsura, the intelligent Psychopath of my dreams.  I like my elves grumpy and my godlike fishy!

And my Rekke romancable!

You would not believe level of effort groups would put just to avoid trash fights in SWTOR, because fighting trash is  utterly boring waste of time. That said, I wouldn't say no to boss/semi-boss fights with varied and creative approach -- different behaviour patterns, different resistances, mayhaps an opportunity to use them traps and bombs. 

You would not believe level of effort groups would put just to avoid trash fights in SWTOR, because fighting trash is  utterly boring waste of time. That said, I wouldn't say no to boss/semi-boss fights with varied and creative approach -- different behaviour patterns, different resistances, mayhaps an opportunity to use them traps and bombs. 

That depends on what you mean by "trash". Something doesn't have to be a boss encounter to be an interesting and fun combat encounter. Some of the most fun I've had were fighting kobolds in the BG Nashkel mines--their hiding behind traps, shooting me from across a chasm, etc.

I have voted "just right"

In PoE1 they put some enemies all over the map just because they map would feel very empty otherwise. There were some map where you could do nothing but walk around and kil some enemies, not much story or quest related stuff.

In PoE2 encounter design is much better. It makes sense that the enemies are at this place. There are fight were new enemies spawn all the time from different directions. Sometimes scripted events or the environment can give you an advantage or disadvantage. ( like sneak and blow up some barrels to kill some enemies right at the start. ) There are many situation were you can avoid combat all together or you just kill everything in your way, depending on your playstyle. So regarding how combat is structured, PoE2 is so much better than PoE1.

I play on veteran and combat is much too easy ( I would expect this difficulty on easy mode, maybe even story time if they are below your level), but thats another question.

I admit that I play games mostly for story and exploration, not for combat. I love PST and I quit IWD, not because it was too difficult but because I was bored from just fighting and little story. Never got a dungeon crawler after that.

• Like 1

That depends on what you mean by "trash". Something doesn't have to be a boss encounter to be an interesting and fun combat encounter. Some of the most fun I've had were fighting kobolds in the BG Nashkel mines--their hiding behind traps, shooting me from across a chasm, etc.

Something that would take less time to clear with "select all"+"right click" and then let AI handle it than with applying skills and abilities. Can't remember anything about BG myself, but from your description that encounter makes you fight smart, not hard. Hence I wouldn't categorize it as trash. 

Edit: on the second hand, not entirely correct definition. E.g., I certainly could not clear those endless packs of lagufaeth arseholes in White March with auto-attack on hard difficulty, but I still consider them trash. So in this case, "trash mob" would be something that feels like a chore rather than fun. You know, like "cleaning trash" vs "playing games" in terms of having fun. 

Edited by bugarup

Problem is making fights interesting, varied and feeling like they belong to that place.

Trash fights feel annoying but not having enough combat can feel bad to, what's point in loot and buying things if can't try them out. There the important point most dungeons are just few rooms in size. As someone said depending what obsidian do with balancing will truly define what's needed.

I do feel we do need couple longer dungeons so actually feels like dungeon crawling, but they need be done with right number of bad guys interesting quest. Beyond that wait to see how things balance. Maybe bit more combat in big city.

• Like 3

I voted "Just right". I don't have a problem with the amount of encounters -- and I think there were (way) too many in PoE -- but I do think that (playing on Veteran) a lot of the encounters are too easy and therefore too short. I'm looking forward to patch 1.1 improving this a LOT. If they get Veteran difficulty to the same level as Hard difficulty in PoE, with the encounter numbers the way they are now, but beefier, with more mobs, and more tactically interesting, then I'll be very happy.

• Like 3

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

Guest Blutwurstritter

I liked the balance of role playing and fighting in PoE II. Most fights had a reason to happen and were embedded in a sensible way into the story. The game also gave you often enough a option to solve something violently or peacefully, which is great. 

I think PoE II was a huge improvement in the fighting/story ration in comparison to the first game and i didn't miss any of the pointless grinding of the first game. 

I think there's enough combat on the whole, but what might make it feel like there's not enough is that you can spend days of gameplay in Neketaka, walking around mostly just talking and avoiding using your crap ship, while spending any cash you do get hold of in the shops. That also means your party can experience a massive level increase from one fight to the next, which is a bit odd.

• Like 1

nvAeseu.png

I think there is just enough , as in...don't see that there should be more . 

And that's after playing DOS2 . where some fight can take foreeeeeeeeever... :lol:

I also rather have combats with a tiny story , then just trash trash trash.......

They never have good loot on them!! and tha LOOT is important!  :woot:

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller